• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A Mirror of Truth or Palutena's Advice? Both available at all hours of the day

Neo Zero

Banned via Administration

Have a question regarding the angel protector of Skyworld, Pit?
Confused about DP, but you're not sure where to ask?
Well now you can! Feel free to ask (or answer) questions from your fellow Pit1 and Pit2 brethren.

Last edited by a moderator:

Poxnixles

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Vitiel
3DS FC
3823-8576-9592
Do we know ALL the (non-cosmetic) differences between Pit and Pittooey, Final Smash aside? I'm seeing mixed, scattered info everywhere.

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
Do we know ALL the (non-cosmetic) differences between Pit and Pittooey, Final Smash aside? I'm seeing mixed, scattered info everywhere.
From what I've seen, Pit has faster moves while DP's are generally more powerful, and Pit's arrows are slow and easy to use while DP's are fast and can only be redirected at a limited angle. Only other apparent difference is the angle of the Sspecial's launch, straight up for Pit and diagonal for DP.

That's about as specific as it gets without digging into frame data and such.

Fire Tactician

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4596-9948-4995
From what I've seen, Pit has faster moves while DP's are generally more powerful, and Pit's arrows are slow and easy to use while DP's are fast and can only be redirected at a limited angle. Only other apparent difference is the angle of the Sspecial's launch, straight up for Pit and diagonal for DP.

That's about as specific as it gets without digging into frame data and such.
You forgot to mention that Dark Pit exudes coolness, but I'll forgive you for forgetting that.

Otherwise, it's pretty much as LancerStaff said. As a Pit main in Brawl, Dark Pit is much easier to pick up for me since all of his attacks feel substantial. Pit sometimes just feels as if he's kinda floating around the opponent because he has more trouble KOing opponents than his other half. Also, the Upperdash Arm of Pit is much harder to KO opponents with than the Electroshock Arm of Pittoo. Once the Upperdash Arm launches an opponent upwards, Pit has to wait for the opponent to fall back down if it didn't KO. However, Pittoo can send them sideways and then rush forward for some of his off the ledge strategies once his Electroshock Arm connects, such as his Fair and his Dair (meteor smash if sweet-spotted).

yurikos

Smash Rookie
Didn't Dark Pit have teal wings and a dark blue scarf in Uprising? I feel like more variation on his Smash design would have been nice, rather than just coloring everything the same shade of black.

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
Didn't Dark Pit have teal wings and a dark blue scarf in Uprising? I feel like more variation on his Smash design would have been nice, rather than just coloring everything the same shade of black.
Kinda, but you could only really tell when an area had a ton of light, namely a couple of LvD victory screens.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Kinda, but you could only really tell when an area had a ton of light, namely a couple of LvD victory screens.
Even his official KIU artwork and appearance on Palutena's trailer has the dark teal wings and scarf.

Some of his alt colors actually make his scarf stand out more.

Hitzel

Smash Ace
^^^ Looking at those alt colors, red Dark Pit actually looks really sick.

Sakurai butchers color schemes a lot though *coughshinypokemoncough*

CandyCakes

Banned via Warnings
how is dark pit at combos and spacing cuz hes my secondary and im wondering if hes more offensive or defensive

Dan

Smash Lord
I'm not familiar with this character at all. Is it actually acceptable that he was a clone, like does it make sense based on his appearances in the KI games, or should he have fought with a staff or sniper or something?

Last edited:

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
I'm not familiar with this character at all. Is it actually acceptable that he was a clone, like does it make sense based on his appearances in the KI games, or should he have fought with a staff or sniper or something?
There's about 100 weapons in KIU, broken into several classes. DP could of used any of those weapons but the Bow is his signature one. Basically a perfect de-cloning candidate.

GeZ

Smash Lord
Does anyone know if Pit has tippers on some of his moves too or if it's just Dark Pit?

And what moves do you usually use to kill? I find Bair to be the easiest to chase with, but I've put Fsmash to good use after a weak Nair.

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
Does anyone know if Pit has tippers on some of his moves too or if it's just Dark Pit?

And what moves do you usually use to kill? I find Bair to be the easiest to chase with, but I've put Fsmash to good use after a weak Nair.
Both have tippers, as 99% of their moves are exactly the same.

Me, I namely use Fsmash, Upperdash, and most importantly, Fair gimps. Bair? Eh, I'm pretty sure Fair outclasses it since it got nerfed pretty bad.

FiXalaS

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
4293-9334-7517
Both have tippers, as 99% of their moves are exactly the same.

Me, I namely use Fsmash, Upperdash, and most importantly, Fair gimps. Bair? Eh, I'm pretty sure Fair outclasses it since it got nerfed pretty bad.
Fair gimping? I'm having trouble landing the move tbh, I think Nair is better

Star ☆

No Problem!
NNID
Autumnflow
I can't seem to sweetspot his recovery move, can somebody help me here? I'm not sure it's my aim because I brush past the ledge every single time, I don't know if you can shorten the distance but it seems like its properties for Sweetspotting differ from other recovery moves in this game. Thanks :)

Last edited:

Tyranitarphantom

Smash Apprentice
NNID
SwitcherooTtar
Pit and Dark Pit can't sweetspot the ledge with Power of Flight for the first ~1/2 of the move. Recovering low makes them snap to the ledge reliably. Unfortunately, I haven't found a way to shorten it, and going low encourages people to come down to try and gimp you. Also, if you hold up during Up B, they won't sweetspot.

PiZyy

Smash Rookie
NNID
Stiifler
Im not 100% sure on this, but it seems like DP can spike with a tipper on his dair. If someone could clarify that it would be swell.

Dooms

KY/KP Joey
NNID
Doomsyplusle
3DS FC
2921-9568-4629
Yeah I'm pretty sure he can spike with his dair.

Is ftilt out of shield a good option to punish things like yoshi/zss/little mac dash attacks that don't give you enough time to dash grab them? I'm trying to figure out what to do in these scenarios since they're so common at the moment. :/

PiZyy

Smash Rookie
NNID
Stiifler
Ftilt Oos sounds good, and why would you dash grab them? Why not just shield grab?

PiZyy

Smash Rookie
NNID
Stiifler
Oooooooh, I would say a short hop Bair Oos would do the trick

GeZ

Smash Lord
Dash grab wouldn't work. People recover way too fast in this game. Everything's mostly safe. Recoveries are also really good which is why I think Dark Pit might not place too well.

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
On stages with flat walls for sides, you can just aim low and you'll make it. The timing is easy since it snaps in the second half of the move as Tyranitarphantom said. I'll just soar right past them if I'm in a position like that, though.

Pit and Dark Pit can't sweetspot the ledge with Power of Flight for the first ~1/2 of the move. Recovering low makes them snap to the ledge reliably. Unfortunately, I haven't found a way to shorten it, and going low encourages people to come down to try and gimp you. Also, if you hold up during Up B, they won't sweetspot.
Actually, if you hold down it won't sweetspot, not up.

PiZyy

Smash Rookie
NNID
Stiifler
Can the Silver Bow gimp anything? I'm having difficulties doing that against things like Little Macs.
THe silver bow cant, But his counter can!
If you position it correctly to see where the Little Mac will Fspecial you got him on the ropes. Another good things to do is grab and Fthrow.

Dooms

KY/KP Joey
NNID
Doomsyplusle
3DS FC
2921-9568-4629
I'm having problems with Mario.

He shoots fireballs at me from half way across the stage, and I'm not quite sure what to do about it. I can jump over them, but then I'm in a disadvantageous situation due to the fact that he's on the ground and I'm not, or I can power shield them, but that doesn't really get me anywhere in the long run because he recovers way before the fireball gets to me. If I get close, he can ftilt/jab/smash/grab and I can't really do anything about any of those from my understanding.

I'm not sure if this is a scenario where I don't understand my options as Dark Pit or if it's a scenario where I just have to put myself into the worse position and punish his reaction (if I even can)... Any tips for a newb Dark Pit?

I'm also having problems with Little Mac. Does Dark Pit have anything that can punish his ftilt and his jab? >_<

Last edited:

PiZyy

Smash Rookie
NNID
Stiifler
I'm having problems with Mario.

He shoots fireballs at me from half way across the stage, and I'm not quite sure what to do about it. I can jump over them, but then I'm in a disadvantageous situation due to the fact that he's on the ground and I'm not, or I can power shield them, but that doesn't really get me anywhere in the long run because he recovers way before the fireball gets to me. If I get close, he can ftilt/jab/smash/grab and I can't really do anything about any of those from my understanding.
The best way to avoid the fireballs would be to roll or shield them, thats the only I know how to deal with Mario.

I'm not sure if this is a scenario where I don't understand my options as Dark Pit or if it's a scenario where I just have to put myself into the worse position and punish his reaction (if I even can)... Any tips for a newb Dark Pit?
Dont rely on any of your specials. Uair and Nair are yous besties in the air. Dthrow and Fthrow are your best throw option, they can lead into combo's with a ftilt or fair -> Nair. Grab. Learn to Roll cancel grab.

I'm also having problems with Little Mac. Does Dark Pit have anything that can punish his ftilt and his jab? >_<
Learn RCG and shield or get him into the air with some Utilts, Uthrows so you and Uair him a **** ton.

irokex13

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Irokex21
Lately with Pit, I've been struggling to recover correctly with his Up B. It's not that I get edge guarded or anything, it's just Pit won't snap to the ledge, instead flying right past it, giving my opponent a free punish during the ending lag. Is there some special way to get him to snap to the ledge more consistently or is it just random?

Also, another issue I've been having is his jab. I don't have any problem with the normal 3 hit combo as it is decently fast and sets the opponent in the air, but his multi hit jab is simply awful. Is there a way to always do the 3 hit version of his jab?

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
Lately with Pit, I've been struggling to recover correctly with his Up B. It's not that I get edge guarded or anything, it's just Pit won't snap to the ledge, instead flying right past it, giving my opponent a free punish during the ending lag. Is there some special way to get him to snap to the ledge more consistently or is it just random?

Also, another issue I've been having is his jab. I don't have any problem with the normal 3 hit combo as it is decently fast and sets the opponent in the air, but his multi hit jab is simply awful. Is there a way to always do the 3 hit version of his jab?
He snaps during the later half of his flight. What I do is undershoot the ledge and slide up the wall to grab on. Even works on stages like SM3DL Omega, not that it'll feel very natural.

Just holding A should do it, although I'm not seeing what's wrong with his infinite jab.

kunimitsu877

Smash Apprentice
i dont care what anyone says im glad dark pits in im happy for the differences he does have with his side b he is slightly slower but is stronger and his final smash is just zeldas but his up b from what ive seen goes slightly higher than pits

PiZyy

Smash Rookie
NNID
Stiifler
Dark Pit IMO is better than Pit, I have beaten every single Pit I have gone up against, it may be because I was just better than them.. buuut this means he is better

kunimitsu877

Smash Apprentice
Dark Pit IMO is better than Pit, I have beaten every single Pit I have gone up against, it may be because I was just better than them.. buuut this means he is better
yep plus ive seen video proof of their differences im excited for dark pit

kunimitsu877

Smash Apprentice
1 things for sure make sure wiidude83 doesnt see this thread he has made it clear he hates dark pit i tryed to tell him that there is differences between them and he blocked me on twitter simply for saying so lol he still lets me comment on youtube so i guess thats something

Cyberguy64

Smash Journeyman
(Note, that this is coming from a confirmed Dark Pit disliker.)

Does Dark Pit have any downsides compared to Pit? Everything I've heard and seen points to him being a straight up improvement, which makes his inclusion all the more baffling to me.

kunimitsu877

Smash Apprentice

Does Dark Pit have any downsides compared to Pit? Everything I've heard and seen points to him being a straight up improvement, which makes his inclusion all the more baffling to me.
aside from being slower now that i can see

PiZyy

Smash Rookie
NNID
Stiifler

I havent even tried to play Pit, but what I can see is just that the deal different % and different KB

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054

The only differences are that he has worse arrows and a different Sspecial. Only reason to pick him is the Electroshock arm.

Top Bottom