• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Miracle Of Light - Palutena in SSB4 (Featuring Cereza from Bayonetta-series)

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
I guess I'm an odd one huh? I actually don't have a problem with ZSS. In fact, so far to date, I only lost to 4 ZSS players in my entire time playing Smash 4 (Both 3DS, and Wii U). And that is me just speaking in general. Other than that, I didn't really have a problem with her while playing as Palutena.

As for the rest of the High tiers:

Sheik: I struggle with at times. I have to really focus with this matchup.

Diddy: Didn't know he was considered dangerous until January tbh. Similar to how a feel about Sheik, just less concern.

Rosalina:............I want that Luma to dissappear......

Sonic: Had a problem with him mid way in, but after a while, I started to figure him out........that and the recent Patch made my original problems with him moot.

Yoshi: Now this one I just find annoying, considering most Yoshi players do the same thing. So for me, Yoshi is just that one character I need to purify.

Ness:......."Pk Fir..." "Reflect!"

And Last, but not First, Luigi: Pretty Tricky if you don't know what your doing. And if the match is laggy, forget about winning lol (JK)
ZSS may not be favourable but Palutena can definitely deal with the For Glory tactics less experienced players dole out.
Paralyzer is reflectable on reaction (or you could auto-reticle), and even if she won't get hit by it at max distance
she still has to dodge it somehow. Flip Jump used as an attack is easily punishable on shield thanks to Palutena's speed.

Cap'nChreest

Smash Master
NNID
CapnChreest
Those were some intense moments. Guess I should look into Teleport cancelling?
lol yea GGs. Warp canceling with palutena is basic "you must be able to do this" kind of tech. Teleport canceling with Mewtwo I don't think is as useful mostly because mewtwo's arials aren't as ranged other than his b-air. another thing about mewtwo's cancels are that his up b goes such a short distance you have to be very close to the ledge in order to even cancel it. Its still useful and good to learn though.

Those were good matches your mix ups were interesting.

kmpyj

Smash Journeyman
NNID
kmpyj1
3DS FC
1032-1329-6718
Switch FC
SW-4997-6150-9210
Looks like I missed out on a Pally Spare. Last time I had a match with anyone from here was back during the 3DS days.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
lol yea GGs. Warp canceling with palutena is basic "you must be able to do this" kind of tech. Teleport canceling with Mewtwo I don't think is as useful mostly because mewtwo's arials aren't as ranged other than his b-air. another thing about mewtwo's cancels are that his up b goes such a short distance you have to be very close to the ledge in order to even cancel it. Its still useful and good to learn though.

Those were good matches your mix ups were interesting.
Yeah, Mewtwo is kind of the king of mixups, whether it's on the offence with things like dthrow and confusion
or on defence during disadvantage and recovery. Only problem in the latter regard is that fast characters can kind of ignore it. :c

I don't think Teleport's problem is that it's short (though it could be shorter than Warp for all I know), but rather it doesn't "slide"
when aimed at the ground from the air.

M

+9999999999
NNID
Meteor
Hey fellow Goddesses! It's been a while but I've been busy winning tournaments lately. ;)

Anyway, I'm playing at Australia's major national tournament BAM. It's customs off, yet I only dropped a stock in my pool matches! The finals bracket will be starting in about 3 hours. I think it'll be streamed on twitch.tv/kaizmo so it'd be great if any of you guys decide to tune in and cheer me on. :)

Last edited:

Kurri ★

#PlayUNIST
Switch FC
7334-0298-1902
Hey fellow Goddesses! It's been a while but I've been busy winning tournaments lately. ;)

Anyway, I'm playing at Australia's major national tournament BAM. It's customs off, yet I only dropped a stock in my pool matches! The finals bracket will be starting in about 3 matches. I think it'll be streamed on twitch.tv/kaizmo so it'd be great if any of you guys decide to tune in and cheer me on. :)
Will try my best!

RedCap-BlueSpikes

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RedCapBlueSpikes

Anyway, I'm playing at Australia's major national tournament BAM. It's customs off, yet I only dropped a stock in my pool matches! The finals bracket will be starting in about 3 hours. I think it'll be streamed on twitch.tv/kaizmo so it'd be great if any of you guys decide to tune in and cheer me on. :)
Oh wow! Sounds like you're on a roll. Good luck, show 'em what our Goddess can do!

Maraphy

Smash Ace
NNID
Marraph
3DS FC
3780-9036-1349
Some general little Palutena things I do, in case it's of use to anyone:

~D-throw -> N-Air -> U-air -> Auto-reticle -> chase and follow up with something else

~literally the moment I respawn from losing a stock, I send out an auto-reticle from the respawn platform. Half the time this will catch someone who's standing still / didnt expect it. If you respawn and they're not on the side of the platform that's facing you (you always respawn facing right I think), it's a little tricky, but if you do a hard left on the control stick, let go, and then press B, you'll auto reticle in the opposite direction.

~At high percents, at least on heavies, a d-tilt can pop them up into a perfect position to U-air. I doubt it's a true combo, though.

~F-tilt, while slow, can have some flashy utility when you use it from a safe distance. I like to use it when people are grabbing the ledge since it can cover their get up or ledge attack options.

that's all I got for now

kmpyj

Smash Journeyman
NNID
kmpyj1
3DS FC
1032-1329-6718
Switch FC
SW-4997-6150-9210
For me, I here are some routes I usually do.

Fair~Jab1~Grab~Dthrow~Nair~Uair

FThrow~SB or BThrow~SB

Dair(AC)~FSmash or ~DSmash or ~Up Smash

Jab1~Jab1~Jab finisher

I have more, but I don't feel like typing it all. Plus I want to showcase it in my next video. But for now, this is all I got.

Also Happy Momerial Day everyone!!

Last edited:

S.F.L.R_9

Smash Master
NNID
suffler9
3DS FC
0061-1006-1500
So, I was messing around with Palutena and I found that without rage at 100-145%, and with max rage at 70-110% (depending on character weight), pointblank jab 1 to utilt is a kill combo. HOWEVER, training mode doesn't count it as a combo even though I couldn't escape it with airdodging, jumping, etc. So, I think there's a very small timeframe you can escape (like 1-2 frames, I tested using Zelda's custom Farore's Squall which has a frame 1 windbox and that escaped it but nothing else did.) Just wondering if you guys knew about this kill setup

EDIT: More info. Little Mac's up b can escape it. Try out jab to utilt and if they don't escape it, good, and if they do, then remember the next time you try it that you can jab 1 to shield before his up b comes out and you can get an even bigger punish. Marth and Lucina's aerial Dolphin Slash is supposedly invulnerable frame 1-4, so watch out for that. Pac-man's trampoline is also frame 1 but it won't hit you and he'll just get set up for an even bigger punish soooo...

Last edited:

kmpyj

Smash Journeyman
NNID
kmpyj1
3DS FC
1032-1329-6718
Switch FC
SW-4997-6150-9210
So, I was messing around with Palutena and I found that without rage at 100-145%, and with max rage at 70-110% (depending on character weight), pointblank jab 1 to utilt is a kill combo. HOWEVER, training mode doesn't count it as a combo even though I couldn't escape it with airdodging, jumping, etc. So, I think there's a very small timeframe you can escape (like 1-2 frames, I tested using Zelda's custom Farore's Squall which has a frame 1 windbox and that escaped it but nothing else did.) Just wondering if you guys knew about this kill setup

EDIT: More info. Little Mac's up b can escape it. Try out jab to utilt and if they don't escape it, good, and if they do, then remember the next time you try it that you can jab 1 to shield before his up b comes out and you can get an even bigger punish. Marth and Lucina's aerial Dolphin Slash is supposedly invulnerable frame 1-4, so watch out for that. Pac-man's trampoline is also frame 1 but it won't hit you and he'll just get set up for an even bigger punish soooo...
I been testing that set up for awhile now, but never knew it worked at those lower percentages you mentioned. I tested mines at around 180-204%. I was so busy looking for the consecutive hit mark in training mode, that I forgot to test if it was actually escapable or not at early percents. Glad to see that it works earlier than I expected. Nice find.

NovemberMan

Smash Apprentice
So, I was messing around with Palutena and I found that without rage at 100-145%, and with max rage at 70-110% (depending on character weight), pointblank jab 1 to utilt is a kill combo. Just wondering if you guys knew about this kill setup.
I think I only did it once on a Captain Falcon when he was at around 120% and I was at 95%. I usually have a hard time making use of tilts, especially when a match is very expeditious. I would usually go straight into Smash attacks, which is kind of annoying but... :ohwell:.

sleepy_Nex

Smash Journeyman
Jab 1 > D-Tilt works nicely too. Although I think it's easier to escape, I'd say it's a good mix-up. Jab 1 > any tilt/smash works pretty well actually.
That sounds crazy at kill percents for utilt.
oh S.F.L.R_9 mentioned it before me. Sounds more stylisch than upsmash so i will change it hehe.

SirAemiliusII

Smash Rookie
Hey guys, I'm new to this forum, and the smashboards in general. I play Palutena as a pocket character.
Now, I don't know how thoroughly Palutena was tested after the last patch, but it seems as though up-throw kills now! I was on FG, Pilotwings Omega setting, and I was fighting a Lucina, and I got her up to about 165%. I was at 84% and I grabbed her and up-threw her, and it killed her! (Up-throw was used 1 other time, so it wasn't staled that much.) Could this be?!

NovemberMan

Smash Apprentice
Hey guys, I'm new to this forum, and the smashboards in general. I play Palutena as a pocket character.
Now, I don't know how thoroughly Palutena was tested after the last patch, but it seems as though up-throw kills now! I was on FG, Pilotwings Omega setting, and I was fighting a Lucina, and I got her up to about 165%. I was at 84% and I grabbed her and up-threw her, and it killed her! (Up-throw was used 1 other time, so it wasn't staled that much.) Could this be?!
Yes, up-throw has always been a kill move at higher percentages; as well as back-throw. She hasn't really changed from the last patch.

Maraphy

Smash Ace
NNID
Marraph
3DS FC
3780-9036-1349
is it just me or did the preview/prototype for the palutena amiibo look kind of ehhh

I mean, i /have/ to buy it no matter what lol, but i hope it's gonna look good!

Kurri ★

#PlayUNIST
Switch FC
7334-0298-1902
is it just me or did the preview/prototype for the palutena amiibo look kind of ehhh

I mean, i /have/ to buy it no matter what lol, but i hope it's gonna look good!
Do any of the amiibos look good? Personally I'd rather just buy a figma or other overly-priced figurine, but then again the appeal of amiibo isn't how they look but what you can do with them.

kmpyj

Smash Journeyman
NNID
kmpyj1
3DS FC
1032-1329-6718
Switch FC
SW-4997-6150-9210
Yeah, I agree. Amiibo aren't exactly the prettiest thing out there, but some amiibos manage to come off fine. I think Palutena looks fine, better than what I was expecting her to be.

As far as actual figures are concerned, I know at one point they were working on a Palutena and Pit figure, but I don't know what happened to it.

Maraphy

Smash Ace
NNID
Marraph
3DS FC
3780-9036-1349
Do any of the amiibos look good? Personally I'd rather just buy a figma or other overly-priced figurine, but then again the appeal of amiibo isn't how they look but what you can do with them.
I think the Rosalina, Samus, Peach (Mario series, not smash), and all 3 of the Splatoon amiibos look really good. Others not so much : \

Tailisu10

Smash Journeyman
I will be finished if her amiibo becomes exclusive target as we don't have that here.
anyway have another pic.
HNI_0084.JPG

kmpyj

Smash Journeyman
NNID
kmpyj1
3DS FC
1032-1329-6718
Switch FC
SW-4997-6150-9210
So apparently, the two characters Sakurai has the most trouble playing as is Pit, and Palutena, who knew? This was in response to people who think he makes the characters he created ridiculously good.

Knowing this makes me feel more prideful in maining her, and getting to where I am at with her.

Last edited:

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
Well, Pit and Palutena aren't easy to use at all in general with fairly high learning curves, though I feel Palu is much more difficult despite her being my number 1 main. I still am glad I chose her, for being dedicated to using her and doing decent proves full of effort and much more rewarding, even higher than some typical top tiers in my eyes.

So pretty much if you can get a character with a very high learning curve who isn't one of the higher ups like Pit or Palutena, that's completely respectful in my book. I just hope that entry will notify those ppl that Sakurai isn't as biased as some think he is.
:4pit::4palutena:

Last edited:
Top Bottom