• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Miracle Of Light - Palutena in SSB4 (Featuring Cereza from Bayonetta-series)

Nabbitnator

Smash Ace
NNID
Nabbitz
Has there been any documented use for Heavenly Light?

Worst move in Smash history I swear to god.
I think you can push people off the stage with it or make it hard for them to return to the stage. (I hope this post can be merged I completely forgot I had posted just a few moments ago...)

Last edited:

xnine

Smash Apprentice
NNID
xninebreaker
3DS FC
3582-8927-0427
Hitstun heavenly light. Holy geez lol

Nabbitnator

Smash Ace
NNID
Nabbitz
So I was testing chain grab potential for palutena with N air and after the first 3 hits of it I fast fall to the ground pulling the opponent down it seems that they're still in enough stun that you can go for a second down throw. I managed to do it up to 4 times but peach dropped out. im trying on Mario next.

Edit: I tried it on Mario but its iffy. All though I found that her up air also can spike like greninja and shieks. I did it a few times but its so difficult to do on a 2ds.

Another thing you could do with Nair is to fast fall to get a free throw into f air. it isn't guaranteed but it gets you damage here and there.

2nd edit: I'm not sure if I can call it a spike since I don't know if im doing it 100 percent correctly so for now i'll say semi-spike. It works on Mario,Ness (If he tries to pk thunder back up you can go down and spike him for free.).I'll try to look for more. But you need to hit the first few hits of up air to do this. I really does spike but its kind of weak but your opponent is forced to lose his or her jump and has to use up b to save oneself.

3rd edit: its weak at low percents but will do well while edge guarding gives you a spike on your opponents way up if they don't dodge it.

Last edited:

Thinkaman

NNID
Thinkaman
3DS FC
1504-5749-3616
I'm starting to speculate that with further mastery of the game, Lightweight will prove dominant in every matchup over Counter.

It's hard to judge/predict though, since both moves can be expected to improve with mastery.

Lightweight is just too pivotal for upgrading the followup options out of high % grabs, nevermind making those grabs that much easier.

Can anyone convince me that they are matchups where Counter is required or decidedly superior?

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
I'm starting to speculate that with further mastery of the game, Lightweight will prove dominant in every matchup over Counter.

It's hard to judge/predict though, since both moves can be expected to improve with mastery.

Lightweight is just too pivotal for upgrading the followup options out of high % grabs, nevermind making those grabs that much easier.

Can anyone convince me that they are matchups where Counter is required or decidedly superior?
Ike, to pick him off during his recovery (well, the Up-B one anyways), for easily kills. Just stay at the ledge, and time it. It's simple and safe. Marths do it to him sometimes in Brawl as well, and in this game, so the same applies. There's a very small chance he can avoid it depending on the angle, but generally it works.

xnine

Smash Apprentice
NNID
xninebreaker
3DS FC
3582-8927-0427
Palutena's jabs and grab game are indeed goddess tier. Good to see people are finally beginning to see that as well.

Last edited:

Cap'nChreest

Smash Master
NNID
CapnChreest

nope. Lightweight is superior in every way. It even helps with rage combos. At around 60-70% the rage effect destroys her low percent combos unless she uses light weight. while I don't recommend using lightweight at that percent,(when the opponent is at low percent) the grab game is still strengthened.60-120% I'd say is too early to use lightweight if you're going to use it at a high percentage. The only reason I use it after 120 is as a "hail mary" I'm going to die from any hit anyways. another 3 percent won't make much of a difference.

on a side note..... up-air killed Falco at 90% when I was at 160.

Maraphy

Smash Ace
NNID
Marraph
3DS FC
3780-9036-1349
I only made it to Loser's Round 4 with Palu at Fight Pitt 5 this weekend, but hey for my first tournament I'll take it haha. I wasn't expecting to get anywhere at all. I think I'm gonna try my luck at smaller weeklies rather than going straight into the big events, though. There's a lot less pressure, I think.

GMaster171

Smash Ace
Played Palutena at a RR yesterday, had some fun.

got f-throw->SSS nair a couple times, its legit esp with counter storage and jab->grab

Beastmegs

Smash Cadet
NNID
Beastmegs
3DS FC
3325-1862-3482
i'm not sure if this have been mentioned here but i found a way too make auto reticle fit my offensive play style
basicly i just jump towards or in place and the auto reticle is raining down on my enemy it works better for the taller fighters
since smaler characters like jiggly puff its just harder for the shots too land.
also any tips on using light wieght? poeple say its amazing but i'm not sure how too use it

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
I'd be happy if I knew how to kill cowardly Links and TL that love that clawshot outta shield crap, and running away all the time. Bad mood, I know.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
So what should we call the attack-nullifying property of Palutena's
shield attacks? I was thinking of calling it "absolute priority".

Note: I think Mr. Game & Watch's Up Smash has the same property.

Last edited:

Burigu

Smash Ace
What is going on here???? I go on vacation a few days when everything was like "Palutena is bottom tier", "her moves are so laggy", to "Palutena Goddess of Light and destroyer of Worlds" and "High tier" what happened!??? (Not that I am complaining)

Last edited:

Fluttershy

Element of Kindness
NNID
ArrowofLight
3DS FC
5172-1450-4569
Lol things change..
They discovered the potential of her Jab combos

also ROB's Rotor arm is annoying.. was fighting one in For Glory and my best method was shielding it and punishing the lag.. manged to go 2-2 against him with the matches i used Palutena with. Almost went 1-3 but that top saved me and let me use warp again..

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
Told you ROB was evil. If I didn't, then ROB is evil. Then again, I hate a lot of things.

rpgcaster

Smash Apprentice
What is going on here???? I go on vacation a few days when everything was like "Palutena is bottom tier", "her moves are so laggy", to "Palutena Goddess of Light and destroyer of Worlds" and "High tier" what happened!??? (Not that I am complaining)
I still feel red text so... someone explain to me how exactly people have come to think she's high tier?

Nabbitnator

Smash Ace
NNID
Nabbitz
i can't way that she is high tier. btw i think the marth v palutena match is very difficult without a c stick for her,

Djent

Smash Champion
Basic familiarity with the character's capacities happened.

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
It's not that she's high tier, but I personally think she should be at mid regularly, though we need more players to rep her up. I'm just thinking some ppl are slightly overreacting towards Palutena's tricks. Now if they're effective and can be done frequently, then she can be dangerous, along with customs being allowed as well.

rpgcaster

Smash Apprentice
Weird... I picked up Sheik as a second main... come back to Palutena and I feel like I'm playing better. Weird.

Back on topic, when should I be jabbing exactly. I can't see opportunities to do it. I'm aware of how useful it is but never get a chance to utilise it :/

xnine

Smash Apprentice
NNID
xninebreaker
3DS FC
3582-8927-0427
All day! You can pretty much get by the entire game just with jab and grab combos.

See the enemy approaching? Jab.
Want to approach the enemy? Dash and jab is an option.
Enemy whiffs a move? If the lag isn't enough for a smash, then jab and grab instead of just grabbing.

The range and speed is just realllllly good. It's hard to punish and clashes with tons of moves making it a safe option almost all the time.

Burigu

Smash Ace
Well I am unsure if this optimistic view is going to last, tiers move after all but I am glad people are finding ways of exploiting her to its true potencial, I was testing Super Speed and Lightweight yesterday and in no way I find them redundant if anything they complement each other nicely, like using Super Speed to escape attacks while you are in Lightweight's recovery fase

Nabbitnator

Smash Ace
NNID
Nabbitz
All day! You can pretty much get by the entire game just with jab and grab combos.

See the enemy approaching? Jab.
Want to approach the enemy? Dash and jab is an option.
Enemy whiffs a move? If the lag isn't enough for a smash, then jab and grab instead of just grabbing.

The range and speed is just realllllly good. It's hard to punish and clashes with tons of moves making it a safe option almost all the time.
You can always do down tilt to replace a smash, it has decent knock back.

Primer TMT

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Carlosva
3DS FC
4940-5763-3694
Greetings, I’m making a new clan named TMT (The Money Team)

We have our emblem already and three members. We are currently recruiting members. I want the best smashers of every character (only a really good player per character ((example: Since I play Ganondorf, if you main Ganondorf you cannot join))) So if anyone is interested PM me and I will test you guys as I am the leader of the crew. Ign: Brad. Hope to make a good and fun crew as we hone our skills for improvement and reach to be the best :)!

Cap'nChreest

Smash Master
NNID
CapnChreest
Just got done getting destroyed by @AeroLink_the_SoulMaster 's Palutena. So that was fun.

Got destroyed by @ Admiral Pit Admiral Pit 's Palutena earlier today.

Warp cancel + Battlefield is craziness.

nevermind. We don't talk about this one.

Lightweight: D-throw>N-air>U-air kills early and combos on Prism Tower. So that's cool too.

Combo Killed Palutena at 38%

Last edited:

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
Sorry bout the issue with the fake Pit. I still don't like him. *pouts*

And let's just say that lag is a curse. There's always next time for battles, and I'm aiming for one to record matches. I gotta get someone to record Palutena dittos. Whether it's someone to spectate or something, we need more content for us to view from. D:

Gadiel_VaStar

Smash Champion
NNID
GadielVaStar
I know it's super late, but who wants to play?

Also, I'm interested in making a Palutena Facebook Chat. Would anyone else be interested? They are really fun, and it will be an even easier way to communicate/play.

Starbound

Worlds Apart, But Still Together.
I've been fighting my friend's Little Mac and we've both noticed that Dash Attack gets really weird with KO Punch. We've been able to replicate the situations a few times but neither of us are very good at this game so we're not sure if we're missing something.

Dash Attack seems to be totally safe vs KO Punch when it comes out. Every time I've used Dash Attack as my friend's Mac uses KO punch, I've always survived the exchange. You experience a massive windbox, but you don't take any damage or knockback from the attack. The reason we're so unsure on if we're missing something or not is that KO Punch seems to be unable to be beaten. It beats shields, counters and pretty much every other defensive tool characters have, but why does it not beat Palutena's Dash Attack. I know that Dash Attack beats a lot of moves when the shield is up due to some armor the move but KO Punch doesn't seem like it should be able to be beaten.

Honestly the only explanation I can come up with is that it isn't armor on the move but total invincibility, but I don't think that that explanation is very accurate. Have any of you been in a similar scenario?

xnine

Smash Apprentice
NNID
xninebreaker
3DS FC
3582-8927-0427
I think it's been discussed that dash attack makes the entirety of Palutena invulnerable. Someone was testing it I think and they were taking no damage from being hit from the front and back from fully charged Samus neutral b.

Not sure who was testing it though...

Thinkaman

NNID
Thinkaman
3DS FC
1504-5749-3616
I think it's been discussed that dash attack makes the entirety of Palutena invulnerable. Someone was testing it I think and they were taking no damage from being hit from the front and back from fully charged Samus neutral b.

Not sure who was testing it though...
I can confirm; this is the behavior I observed.

Bair, on the other hand, is still vulnerable if hit from behind.

rpgcaster

Smash Apprentice
Sorry if I'm slow but, does Palutena have invol frames during her Dthrow? Or am I experiencing an anomaly? Or more likely, I'm slow this is has been a thing for ever ^^;

Yoshi Kirishima

Smash Lord
Argh so that Youmacon tournament that was being casted by CT in Detroit... I was going to sign up but my SC2 matches turned out longer than expected so I missed the registration, though I'm not sure if I would have had time to do both anyways since I wasn't knocked out of SC2 yet at that point.

There were 66 participants, looking at the player list (some of which I've fought before) I would have gotten 10-6th place, which is still not good enough for one of those 100-500$ prizes for 1st-4th place, but I woulda been able to get on stream and rep Palu (actually, I don't know how many were watching on stream) and get through many rounds :( I overestimated the strength of the players, basically everyone below 10th place was surely worse than me and I'm not even that good lol. Hopefully someday I can get streamed on CT or something though X)

Also I don't know why you guys are saying Heavenly Light is *so* useless. It's not ridiculously good but it has unique applications and helps rack up damage in a lot of situations where you otherwise wouldn't be able to or wouldn't be able to guarantee it. The range is good enough that you can use it safely in many situations.

Last edited:

deepseadiva

Bodybuilding Magical Girl
3DS FC
1779-0766-2622
Sorry if I'm slow but, does Palutena have invol frames during her Dthrow?
Doubtful. Lots of strange things can happen during a game. Not being hit when you should have is fairly common. Grab armor is a thing.

But then again dash attack was never advertised having invincibility and look at that.

Also I don't know why you guys are saying Heavenly Light is *so* useless. It's not ridiculously good but it has unique applications and helps rack up damage in a lot of situations where you otherwise wouldn't be able to or wouldn't be able to guarantee it. The range is good enough that you can use it safely in many situations.
"Uniquely applicable" versus "an actual move that creates pressure" - not that it would never be useful ever, but considering it's a move you can change, it has competition. It's something you need to discard as an option when you're going into a tournament. Especially since it's not explicitly useful versus any one character or common scenario.

Top Bottom