• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Miracle Of Light - Palutena in SSB4 (Featuring Cereza from Bayonetta-series)

Ferio_Kun

Smash Journeyman
Throw me on the supporters list! Honestly I think we should expect Palutena. She would be perfect for smash and bring a really unique fighting style! (Magic plus staff AND shield anyone?)

andimidna

Smash Master
Magnus would be a cool 3rd character after Palutena. Him being playable in one chapter likely means Sakurai put some thought into his moveset and he could probably apply it to Smash Bros.
He's simply not prominent or unique enough. His sword is basically an item and his fanbase seems to be dropping quickly. I cant see him being in another game. Whereas Palutena will be in every Kid Icarus game no matter what (Seriously, how would they make one without her?). After Palutena, the only viable choice in my eyes would be Medusa.
Sakurai's favorite Uprising character was Viridi. Not Magnus, Hades, Dark Pit, or Phosphora. And because she isn't happening, I can't see an Uprising-only character making it.
Palutena and Medusa are the most popular, unique, and recurring of the remaining KI newcomer choices. Well, I guess Eggplant Wizard is more recurring than Medusa, but who cares. He's never been a main character.
Palutena is the winner of all categories though. There is no logic in adding anybody over her for a 2nd KI character.
And no logic of adding anybody over Medusa for a 3rd KI character.
Sorry if you like Magnus. But KI isn't in the same place as series like Mario and Zelda that can start adding characters that aren't prominent throughout the series, and aren't main characters. He needs more than 1 appearance. And more moveset possibilities. A heavy sword character that can create tornadoes doesn't even match up to the uniqueness of the Wii Fit Trainers.

I wouldn't say that just yet. Despite our opinions on them, Medusa/Hades/Magnus are all still in the running. Dark Pit in particular is very much a dark horse character, with the especially notable niche of being a good semi-clone.
I didn't even mean regarding KI characters.
If she's not in, I'd be shocked to see any other new newcomers get in over her.
There's just too much going for her.
After the direct, I don't consider anybody but her to be an "obvious pick"
Pac-Man, Chrom, and Shulk are looking pretty good. But at least 15% less likely than Palutena.
And if she's not in, the Gematsu Leak is flawed and they all lose their edge that bumped up their likelihood.

Last edited:

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Pac-Man, Chrom, and Shulk are looking pretty good. But at least 15% less likely than Palutena.
And if she's not in, the Gematsu Leak is flawed and they all lose their edge that bumped up their likelihood.
As much as I would love to dissect this post I'll leave it at this, she's not in yet don't get too overconfident. Palutena still has some things against her, Sakurai is a troll, and those leaks still have a lot of sketchiness to them.

She's still probably the most likely newcomer at this point, but we can save that celebration until after she's confirmed. Palutena fans were known for being modest before the "leaks," lets try to continue that streak (and be a role model to the Ridley fanbase :troll:).

Also avoid using percentages while speculating unless there's some sort of mathematical formula. I had to learn that lesson the hard way.

The Light Music Club

Smash Master
NNID
_TLMC_
3DS FC
0576-6097-0725
People who haven't touched Kid Icarus have no clue what so ever as to who Magnus is anyway. I'm pretty sure half the gaming population would think you would be referring to the guy from Chrono Trigger. Before I played uprising, that was who I thought everyone talking about him meant. But of course his name is Magus. Point is, no one knows him outside of KI:U fans because he isn't seen anywhere but in the game. Palutena has been seen outside of Kid Icarus games.

Grayson

Smash Apprentice
He's simply not prominent or unique enough. His sword is basically an item and his fanbase seems to be dropping quickly. I cant see him being in another game. Whereas Palutena will be in every Kid Icarus game no matter what (Seriously, how would they make one without her?). After Palutena, the only viable choice in my eyes would be Medusa.
Sakurai's favorite Uprising character was Viridi. Not Magnus, Hades, Dark Pit, or Phosphora. And because she isn't happening, I can't see an Uprising-only character making it.
Palutena and Medusa are the most popular, unique, and recurring of the remaining KI newcomer choices. Well, I guess Eggplant Wizard is more recurring than Medusa, but who cares. He's never been a main character.
Palutena is the winner of all categories though. There is no logic in adding anybody over her for a 2nd KI character.
And no logic of adding anybody over Medusa for a 3rd KI character.
Sorry if you like Magnus. But KI isn't in the same place as series like Mario and Zelda that can start adding characters that aren't prominent throughout the series, and aren't main characters. He needs more than 1 appearance. And more moveset possibilities. A heavy sword character that can create tornadoes doesn't even match up to the uniqueness of the Wii Fit Trainers.

I also believe that he wasn't prominent enough in Kid Icarus Uprising to be a likely playable character. I was just saying he would be a neat 3rd representative if they do add him. Though I would gladly take Medusa over him simply because of the lack of Villain characters and (if Ike comes back) we'd have another heavy sword character if Magnus was playable.

Last edited:

Burigu

Smash Ace
Who is Magnus? o yeah that random sword user that only appears in 3 chapters, in only one game, I would pic Pandora over him anyday

Grayson

Smash Apprentice
Who is Magnus? o yeah that random sword user that only appears in 3 chapters, in only one game, I would pic Pandora over him anyday
I'd choose any character from Uprising over him simply because his moveset would be predictable while other characters would be very interesting. That's not to say I wouldn't mind his inclusion.

Last edited:

Burigu

Smash Ace
I'd choose any character from Uprising over him simply because his moveset would be predictable while other characters would be very interesting. That's not to say I wouldn't mind his inclusion.
I don't see him even worthy of a 3 rep slot, I would pic Medusa as a 3rd character, I don't mind Magnus, he is just so unoriginal, the same with Dark Pit, I would even support SOUFLEE before them

andimidna

Smash Master
As much as I would love to dissect this post I'll leave it at this, she's not in yet don't get too overconfident. Palutena still has some things against her, Sakurai is a troll, and those leaks still have a lot of sketchiness to them.

She's still probably the most likely newcomer at this point, but we can save that celebration until after she's confirmed. Palutena fans were known for being modest before the "leaks," lets try to continue that streak (and be a role model to the Ridley fanbase :troll:).

Also avoid using percentages while speculating unless there's some sort of mathematical formula. I had to learn that lesson the hard way.
True. But it isn't all personal opinion.
There were about 80 voters on her day in the RTC thread, and she scored an average chance of 95%, so that gave me a lot of confidence in her inclusion. Her want score also just beat both Little Mac's and Ridley's, and they're BIG.

She went from #1 chance (88%) and #4 want (72%) to #1 chance (95%) and #2 want (78%)
Leaving her out now would be a big slap in the face to many people...

I just can't help but be completely sure she's in, but I can be less vocal about it.

egaddmario

Smash Champion
NNID
egaddmario
3DS FC
0946-2409-3627
People who haven't touched Kid Icarus have no clue what so ever as to who Magnus is anyway. I'm pretty sure half the gaming population would think you would be referring to the guy from Chrono Trigger. Before I played uprising, that was who I thought everyone talking about him meant. But of course his name is Magus. Point is, no one knows him outside of KI:U fans because he isn't seen anywhere but in the game. Palutena has been seen outside of Kid Icarus games.
Palutena was in that one SSE cutscene. So if you played through it, you know her. Plus Pit's old Final Smash. Magnus has nothing. I do think he'd make for a good AT though.

The Light Music Club

Smash Master
NNID
_TLMC_
3DS FC
0576-6097-0725
If there was a third rep, I honestly think it would have been Viridi, so I think we will only get two KI characters this time. I hope Viridi gets in next time around though, she's a great character. I like her almost if not just as much as Palutena.

andimidna

Smash Master
If there was a third rep, I honestly think it would have been Viridi, so I think we will only get two KI characters this time. I hope Viridi gets in next time around though, she's a great character. I like her almost if not just as much as Palutena.
I'll definitely be supporting Viridi and Medusa for SSB6!
If Sakurai were to develop another Kid Icarus game, he'd probably bring his favorite Uprising character back.
I'm not sure if we're ever seeing Medusa again though...
Pit, Palutena, and Viridi are the only characters I'm sure would be in a Kid Icarus for the Wii U :)

Ok... we need to get back to just the goddess of light...

Question time: What's your favorite option for Palutena's recovery?

Kevandre

Ivy WAS Saurly missed
NNID
Kevandre
3DS FC
1736-1095-5393
Switch FC
SW-2226-3590-9812
I don't not want Palutena in SSB4 but... I haven't yet been stoked about a new character yet and Palutena wouldn't do that for me either. It's selfish but I really want to see someone that I personally would be way excited for (Closest right now is Villager and even then.. meh) and after that I'm all for anyone

That being said, I'm sure she's in. I'm pretty sure that the Direct soft-confirmed Palutena and K. Rool.

Last edited:

Burigu

Smash Ace
I'll definitely be supporting Viridi and Medusa for SSB6!
If Sakurai were to develop another Kid Icarus game, he'd probably bring his favorite Uprising character back.
I'm not sure if we're ever seeing Medusa again though...
Pit, Palutena, and Viridi are the only characters I'm sure would be in a Kid Icarus for the Wii U :)

Ok... we need to get back to just the goddess of light...

Question time: What's your favorite option for Palutena's recovery?
Her move "This might sting"

Last edited:

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
One of my favorite ideas for her recovery is grind rails, just because I think it could have interesting depth to it, with her being able to potentially build them in any direction, and attack on them, etc.

The Light Music Club

Smash Master
NNID
_TLMC_
3DS FC
0576-6097-0725
In all honesty though if Palutena isn't playable, it'll take a playable Micaiah for me to buy both versions of it. I might still buy one, maybe not even. Especially with all these newcomers I don't really like. Palutena would get me excited to buy this game.

Hades the Magnificent

Smash Cadet
1. Pit
2. Palutena
3. Medusa
4. Viridi
[big gap]
5. Hades
6. Amazon Pandora
7. Phosphora
[big gap]
8. Dark Pit
[big gap]
9. Magnus

;)
Oooh, we're making lists now? Let me show you mine!

1. Me
[big gap]
2. Thannypoo
[big gap]
3. Pitty
4. Pretty Palutena
5. Pandora
6. The Goddess Magnet Who Debuts in Chapter 9
7. That Random Human With The Big Club Thing Who Never Showed Up in The Same Chapter As Me
8. The True Lord of the Underworld
9. Pyrrhon
10. Little Miss Medusa

...but I don't feel like having to limit myself so much that I could lose to a fitness nut and Thannypoo is busy, so... you can have Pitty and Pretty Palutena.

Last edited:

loganhogan

Smash Ace

1. Me
[big gap]
2. Thannypoo
[big gap]
3. Pitty
4. Pretty Palutena
5. Pandora
7. That Random Human With The Big Club Thing Who Never Showed Up in The Same Chapter As Me
9. Pyrrhon
10. Little Miss Medusa

...but I don't feel like having to limit myself so much that I could lose to a fitness nut and Thannypoo is busy, so... you can have Pitty and Pretty Palutena.
I thought you hated Pitty Pat the most. :troll:

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
There were about 80 voters on her day in the RTC thread, and she scored an average chance of 95%, so that gave me a lot of confidence in her inclusion. Her want score also just beat both Little Mac's and Ridley's, and they're BIG.

She went from #1 chance (88%) and #4 want (72%) to #1 chance (95%) and #2 want (78%)
The Rate Their Chances thread is nothing but personal opinions (they just happen to be averaged). It holds no speculative value, it's just a fun game to play, which was the point I was getting at.

If you're citing it as a reference for her being popular, granted she is, but in the big picture both the Villager and WFT beat her. But even then popularity isn't that much of a big deal as polls try to make it out to be. Technically it's only but a small part of one of the four reasons on how Sakurai chooses characters (the rest are all gameplay related).

I just can't help but be completely sure she's in, but I can be less vocal about it.
I'm not saying to not support her any less, my only argument is that we should stay realistic and cautious until she is officially confirmed (which in all honesty is very likely, but regardless).

Grayson

Smash Apprentice
3 active days on this board and I already see role-playing. Why am I not suprised? -_-

SegaNintendoUbisoft

The Amateur Artist
NNID
S.N.U0203
3DS FC
4725-8740-7336

1. Me
[big gap]
2. Thannypoo
[big gap]
3. Pitty
4. Pretty Palutena
5. Pandora
9. Pyrrhon
10. Little Miss Medusa

*Looks at avatar*
Hades WOULD have a mug with his face on it.

Grayson

Smash Apprentice
Warning Received
The Rate Their Chances thread is nothing but personal opinions (they just happen to be averaged). It holds no speculative value, it's just a fun game to play, which was the point I was getting at.

If you're citing it as a reference for her being popular, granted she is, but in the big picture both the Villager and WFT beat her. But even then popularity isn't that much of a big deal as polls try to make it out to be. Technically it's only but a small part of one of the four reasons on how Sakurai chooses characters (the rest are all gameplay related).

I'm not saying to not support her any less, my only argument is that we should stay realistic and cautious until she is officially confirmed (which in all honesty is very likely, but regardless).
This is exactly what I was trying to say earlier.

I kinda doubt Sakurai pays attention to western polls and websites about what characters are popular to us. If anything we should be looking at Japanese polls and websites to get a more accurate judgement of what characters might get in. Unfortunately I have no idea how to even search for those kinds of websites.

Last edited by a moderator:

The Light Music Club

Smash Master
NNID
_TLMC_
3DS FC
0576-6097-0725
I kinda doubt Sakurai pays attention to western polls and websites about what characters are popular to us. If anything we should be looking at Japanese polls and websites to get a more accurate judgement of what characters might get in. Unfortunately I have no idea how to even search for those kinds of websites.
All I have to say is: "Little Mac"

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493

It would be incredibly stupid of him to pay no attention to popularity in the larger market. I get that he's a Japanese developer so Japan or whatever, but what kind of idiot ignores fans that are traditionally worth 60% or more of the sales for each game?

Also Little Mac, who was not at ALL a popular newcomer in Japan, whereas over here it was INSANE how many wanted him.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Sakurai has to look at Western polls, or at least has someone do it for him. Otherwise, Sonic being in Smash makes no sense.

On Sonic's Brawl Dojo page, he's stated as being "the most requested character by far". If we were to assume this is based on Japanese polls/websites, I can't see this making sense. Because Sonic is not popular in Japan. He has never really sold over there. And was always aimed at the West to begin with.

And I don't mean he sells marginally worse. He sells pathetically in a lot of cases. Lost World has not even broke 10,000 copies sold in Japan, both versions combined, as far as I'm aware.

Last edited:

Grayson

Smash Apprentice
Sakurai has to look at Western polls, or at least has someone do it for him. Otherwise, Sonic being in Smash makes no sense.

On Sonic's Brawl Dojo page, he's stated as being "the most requested character by far". If we were to assume this is based on Japanese polls/websites, I can't see this making sense. Because Sonic is not popular in Japan. He has never really sold over there. And was always aimed at the West to begin with.

And I don't mean he sells marginally worse. He sells pathetically in a lot of cases. Lost World has not even broke 10,000 copies sold in Japan, both versions combined, as far as I'm aware.
I guess I should reword this, I believe the polls in Japan are more prevalent than the ones in America and Europe. Characters like Sonic and Little Mac are obvious and easy choices for appealing to the west because both were intentionally marked more to that audience, but aside from those two I can't think of any obscure character who's inclusion was part of being popular in the west. We've got characters that appeal more to the Japanese audience at the time of their inclusion like Marth, Roy, Lucas, and Jigglypuff which easily outnumber the amount of characters that were included whose popularity came primarily from the West. I think that while Sakurai tries to get some characters that appeal to the west, it's been prominently Japanese or neutral appealing characters.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Actually, Marth and Roy were planned to be Japanese exclusive. However, due to fan outcry, they were allowed internationally. So their inclusion in Western versions of Melee is technically the result of Western popularity. Strange, I know, but it happened.

Grayson

Smash Apprentice
Actually, Marth and Roy were planned to be Japanese exclusive. However, due to fan outcry, they were allowed internationally. So their inclusion in Western versions of Melee is technically the result of Western popularity. Strange, I know, but it happened.
I hear it was because the NOA testers liked the characters.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
It wasn't fan outcry. Nobody outside Japan even knew about Fire Emblem.

It was Nintendo of America's testers who convinced them to keep them in the international versions of the game.

andimidna

Smash Master
I wasn't saying Sakurai came on to the thread to pick out characters, I was just saying how popular she has become.
That was probably the most obvious choice for a western appealing character. Something like Shulk or Krystal would be more evident of him actually looking at our polls.
Or Ridley.
But from what I've heard, her popularity is equal here and there. But the rest of the KI characters are more popular here than there.
So while she's equally popular, she's more prominent.
I guess I should reword this, I believe the polls in Japan are more prevalent than the ones in America and Europe. Characters like Sonic and Little Mac are obvious and easy choices for appealing to the west because both were intentionally marked more to that audience, but aside from those two I can't think of any obscure character who's inclusion was part of being popular in the west. We've got characters that appeal more to the Japanese audience at the time of their inclusion like Marth, Roy, Lucas, and Jigglypuff which easily outnumber the amount of characters that were included whose popularity came primarily from the West. I think that while Sakurai tries to get some characters that appeal to the west, it's been prominently Japanese or neutral appealing characters.
Well there aren't actually large, official Nintendo polls this time around, so it's more difficult to determine these kinds of things.
But I think Sakurai is leaning more towards trying to please everybody. I don't think they're rushing things.
Ike was priority over Roy in Brawl though. And Ike is the only lord with recurring worldwide games. So maybe that means something.
And does anybody know Greninja's popularity in Japan?

Grayson

Smash Apprentice
I wasn't saying Sakurai came on to the thread to pick out characters, I was just saying how popular she has become.

Or Ridley.
But from what I've heard, her popularity is equal here and there. But the rest of the KI characters are more popular here than there.
So while she's equally popular, she's more prominent.

Well there aren't actually large, official Nintendo polls this time around, so it's more difficult to determine these kinds of things.
But I think Sakurai is leaning more towards trying to please everybody. I don't think they're rushing things.
Ike was priority over Roy in Brawl though. And Ike is the only lord with recurring worldwide games. So maybe that means something.
And does anybody know Greninja's popularity in Japan?
Pretty sure Greninja was the most popular Kalos starter worldwide because in the anime, the main guy chose Froakie.

Karafuru

Smash Apprentice
Pretty sure Greninja was the most popular Kalos starter worldwide because in the anime, the main guy chose Froakie.
That's not a good way to judge appeal... He did use a Treecko which was not the most popular Hoenn starter. That would be Blaziken/Torchic.

Last edited:

Grayson

Smash Apprentice
That's not a good way to judge appeal... He did use a Treecko which was not the most popular Hoenn starter. That would be Blaziken/Torchic.
Coming from the Pokemon community, Greninja IS the most popular starter mostly because his design in the end appealed to more people and his hidden ability Protean makes him a competitive monster. His popularity is Japan phases me but since he got into Smash Bros I'd say he was quite popular there to.

Karafuru

Smash Apprentice
Coming from the Pokemon community, Greninja IS the most popular starter mostly because his design in the end appealed to more people and his hidden ability Protean makes him a competitive monster. His popularity is Japan phases me but since he got into Smash Bros I'd say he was quite popular there to.
No, I am not saying he isn't the most popular of those three. It's just that you shouldn't use the anime to tell you that he is.

Top Bottom