• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Miracle Of Light - Palutena in SSB4 (Featuring Cereza from Bayonetta-series)

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
Well as this is the Palutena thread, I also get salty that she got a lot of SpecialMoves compared to other character...ugh Sakurai reallly wants for some reason that non KI playing people hates the franchise, eh?
That's her gimmick, though. It's totally relevant to Uprising and doesn't make her any more or less special than any other character. People that get annoyed about that may as well question why Robin has her expendable tomes, Little Mac has his Star Punch gauge, Rosalina has her Luma support and Greninja has his stealthy techniques.

kmpyj

Smash Journeyman
NNID
kmpyj1
3DS FC
1032-1329-6718
Switch FC
SW-4997-6150-9210
Sorry for my absence here. I have been studying Palutena all day. Ok. I'm still working on the video, but for now I will tell you guys a little tip I pick up while playing as Palutena. I'm sure you're all aware of Palutena's dash attack right? The one were she uses her shield. Well, as I was playing as her, I notice that not only does the shield acts as an attack, but it also acts as a....well.....shield. Whether it is a projectile, or an all out direct attack, it will guard her. This mechanic also is used with her back air when she hits her target with her shield. Also, my overall thought of the character, I love her. She is kinda slow on the ground. Not in movement, but in the ability to make cancels. However, she makes up for this with her great spacing, and defensive play style. Now, on to the offensive play. Palutena is one of the best characters in the roster for short hopping, which makes follow ups much more easier. Her aerials are phenomenal. Overall, I think you guys will love her too. I'm still am going to do the video, but I just want to add as much as possible to it. For now, I want you guys to at least know something. Oh yeah, Admiral Pit, yes, both Palutena's up smash, and heavenly light goes through those hard walls. Which is why I say Palutena has great spacing tools. :)

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
Now that's the info I love to hear. I thank you for doing this.
I now hope my other curious thoughts are answered sometime. <3

kmpyj

Smash Journeyman
NNID
kmpyj1
3DS FC
1032-1329-6718
Switch FC
SW-4997-6150-9210
I also have a lot of nice things to say about Pit. His whole movesets is........OMG. He has this awesome neutral air that is perfect for combos. To make my hype short, he is basically what I would like to call the king of combos in SSB4

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
And is one of his victory poses the "peace sign" thing from Uprising? That would be epic and all. It's weird I'm asking a few Pit things on the Palutena forums, but don't worry. Most of my questions are for the Goddess of Light for sure.

kmpyj

Smash Journeyman
NNID
kmpyj1
3DS FC
1032-1329-6718
Switch FC
SW-4997-6150-9210
And is one of his victory poses the "peace sign" thing from Uprising? That would be epic and all. It's weird I'm asking a few Pit things on the Palutena forums, but don't worry. Most of my questions are for the Goddess of Light for sure.
I only saw one two of his victory poses, so I'm not sure, but I will keep looking for you.

Hydde

Smash Lord
NNID
Rahrthur
PALUTENA VS MARTH RIGHT NOW
http://www.twitch.tv/shofu

edit:

ok SAW THE 3 matches from Palutena. 2 vs marth and one vs DK

My impressions: Definitely the marth player was better but some things to note

-Palutena IS IMO definitely a tactical turtle character. She must be used carefully, without wasting ANY move. Why?..her tilts and smashes have considerable punishable lag.

-Her tilts and multihits are really good with connected
-Her Usmash is solely for racking up damage as its KO potential is almost nill, but has godly range
-IMO her autoreticle needs to be abused when enemies are at range. seems good to rack up damage.
-Her roll is GODLY.
-Her frontal smash has great knockback, but is punishable on wiff.
-Her dash kills around 130%

-My main observation: Imo she will suffer against opponents who can get close and personal with her. Marth once he was in...could throw slashes like a madman, giving Palutena hard time getting out of the onslaught.

She will have to be played very tactical and without wasting any tilt or smash. She has the tools to rack up dmg if played carefully tho.

Last edited:

Beastmegs

Smash Cadet
NNID
Beastmegs
3DS FC
3325-1862-3482
so here is video from gamespot of all the tanuts for the characters that have been offically revealed in english
and Palutena is in here hopefully it starts at the right time but if doesn't palutena's tanuts are at 3:06 enjoy

kmpyj

Smash Journeyman
NNID
kmpyj1
3DS FC
1032-1329-6718
Switch FC
SW-4997-6150-9210
PALUTENA VS MARTH RIGHT NOW
http://www.twitch.tv/shofu

edit:

ok SAW THE 3 matches from Palutena. 2 vs marth and one vs DK

My impressions: Definitely the marth player was better but some things to note

-Palutena IS IMO definitely a tactical turtle character. She must be used carefully, without wasting ANY move. Why?..her tilts and smashes have considerable punishable lag.

-Her tilts and multihits are really good with connected
-Her Usmash is solely for racking up damage as its KO potential is almost nill, but has godly range
-IMO her autoreticle needs to be abused when enemies are at range. seems good to rack up damage.
-Her roll is GODLY.
-Her frontal smash has great knockback, but is punishable on wiff.
-Her dash kills around 130%

-My main observation: Imo she will suffer against opponents who can get close and personal with her. Marth once he was in...could throw slashes like a madman, giving Palutena hard time getting out of the onslaught.

She will have to be played very tactical and without wasting any tilt or smash. She has the tools to rack up dmg if played carefully tho.
Your pretty spot on with that. Pretty much everything you said I experienced when I first played as her. My brother completely destroyed me when I'd play as Palutena. But you no what, that lag didn't stop my fire for her! I kept trying to get better with her and before I knew it, I realized what was the right way to play as Palutena, and the wrong way to play as her. Now, I am God like (lol) with Palutena.

kmpyj

Smash Journeyman
NNID
kmpyj1
3DS FC
1032-1329-6718
Switch FC
SW-4997-6150-9210
Yep there it is. Yep, he does the piece sign in one of his victory poses.

Hydde

Smash Lord
NNID
Rahrthur
Your pretty spot on with that. Pretty much everything you said I experienced when I first played as her. My brother completely destroyed me when I'd play as Palutena. But you no what, that lag didn't stop my fire for her! I kept trying to get better with her and before I knew it, I realized what was the right way to play as Palutena, and the wrong way to play as her. Now, I am God like (lol) with Palutena.
Yup, she will not be easy to play...AT ALL.

She will suffer the same way Zelda suffered in melee and Brawl.-... but the good thing is that unlike zelda in previous games... she has really good offensive moves. Its just that once quick enemies get you on their ride... it seems Palutena players will really have to know how to get out of juggles and pressure...and regain distance fast.

Iron Maw

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ironmaw
3DS FC
1091-8076-0883
Shofu says she's good and has not much lag
She looks pretty fast to me
I agree overall, but you have be careful about throwing out some her tilts recklessly like that staff spin. I saw a Marth on shofu's stream punish her easily every time he blocked it.

EDIT: @ Hydde Hydde actually pointed this all out and more, so you can ignore it I guess.

Damage Values:
Explosive Flame: 8%
Angelic Missile: 13%
Heavenly Light: 1%. Minimum of 3%
Superspeed: 4% - 8%. Seems like it gets stronger based on distance.
Firework: 8%
Autoreticle: 9%
This is great, but it's probably better served in it's own thread rather than it inevitably being buried here.

Last edited:

Burigu

Smash Ace
Did you see Palutena KO Falco at 75% with Side Smash and now at 101% with the Shield bash?

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
I'm sure Counter/Celestial Fireworks and Reflect Barrier would prove useful against aggression, with autoreticle if you need a projectile.
And I missed the footage. Sorry D:

Burigu

Smash Ace
Palutena lost the second match (shofu) but damn she is a tank Shofu manage to almost win when he was lossing 2 - 1 lives, Palutena screen KO is so graceful. Her dodge is so great!!

Last edited:

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
I want to see her win some, so we can see her victory poses, just like I want to see Pit's. But I still wonder what kinda combos you can perform with her. I just hope her versatility really proves to be a threat.

rpgcaster

Smash Apprentice
I see a lot of Character Analysis threads going up in other character subforums. Makes me wish Palutena had one XD

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
I guess we just need more footage as well. I say we give it time, and more such for data. It'll be so heavenly if things go well.

Starbound

Worlds Apart, But Still Together.
Aerodrome has calculated character weights and we're looking at Palutena being a light-middle weight. She's barely heavier than Marth.

Wintropy

NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
Can I just say, I suck with Palutena. I really need to practice. My best characters right now are Pikachu, Duck Hunt, and Lucina.
WHERE WERE YOU WE MISSED YOU GAT DANG IT

Yup, she will not be easy to play...AT ALL.

She will suffer the same way Zelda suffered in melee and Brawl.-... but the good thing is that unlike zelda in previous games... she has really good offensive moves. Its just that once quick enemies get you on their ride... it seems Palutena players will really have to know how to get out of juggles and pressure...and regain distance fast.
Funny how that is the exact opposite of the kind of character I would normally play! I do love variety, though, and I'm really really looking forward to trying her out!

Kind of reminds me of my mains in Skullgirls. Valentine is quick and agile, with great airgame and combo potential, while Peacock is a defensive ranged character that wants to just keep opponents at bay and hit them from the other end of the screen. They make a great tag-team, though, as they nicely balance out the others' quirks and foibles. I imagine I'll find Pit and Palutena to be the same essential dynamic. I like to maintain balance in these things and try different experiences, so steping outside of my comfort zone and learning to play as both on equal footing will be a challenge, but it's something that I'm eminently enthusiastic about!

Last edited:

KuroganeHammer

It's ya boy
BRoomer
NNID
Aerodrome
I feel like Palutena has the potential to be really strong but she has to be played well since while she has big hitboxes, they're also quite thin and precise.

I really don't know what I'd rate her. 8/10? 9/10? She's not perfect, but she's pretty good.

I haven't played pit because I don't like him ;___;

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
Poor Pit. ;-;
At least you think Palutena has potential. That's a good step, and I hope she keeps being great in the future.

The Light Music Club

Smash Master
NNID
_TLMC_
3DS FC
0576-6097-0725
Eh, I'm having trouble mastering Palutena right now. I really don't like her standard set. I think that might be it.

I'm having a tough time hitting with her Side-Tilt attack where she twirls her staff. I always miss and leave myself wide open.

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
Palutena is looking great, and I'm happy to see Reflect Barrier being quite the go-to custom of choice for many situations.

Wintropy

NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
Palutena is looking great, and I'm happy to see Reflect Barrier being quite the go-to custom of choice for many situations.
Yeah, I can imagine it'll really be useful in certain match-ups. Speaking as a player who uses R.O.B. and Lucas a lot in Brawl, I know full-well that any character with a reflect / absorb skill can really scupper your schemes if you rely too much on projectiles. Palutena, much like R.O.B. and Lucas themselves, can actually both fire and counter projectiles - a superb skillset, I think!

Tackman91

Smash Cadet
NNID
Tackman91
3DS FC
0259-0399-7980
Someone on Reddit posted a nice Palutena impression. Here's the link:
http://www.reddit.com/r/smashbros/comments/2gafcb/quick_palutena_impressionsanalysis/

One interesting point is that he believes her standard specials are significantly worse than some of her custom ones, and that they can completely change how she plays. It seems like the combination of Jump Glide and Super Speed can turn her into a very fast and aggressive fighter.

Ah... Haven't posted on Smashboards for too long... It's good to be back...!

Burigu

Smash Ace
I think Autoreticle hasn't been shown to its true potencial, good to see counter and reflect barrier but Autoreticle has a really nice reach and is pretty spammable, maybe not to PK Fire levels, but seems like a good tool to presure characters that like to keep a distance to her, it's a good proyectile in my opinion. And a semi good answer to fast approaching characters

Last edited:

Fluttershy

Element of Kindness
NNID
ArrowofLight
3DS FC
5172-1450-4569
Auto does seem to be a good move. I don't really agree with him for some of the moves tbh..
Jab seems to be a good option for when they get too close imo
Up smash is just :awesome:

Hydde

Smash Lord
NNID
Rahrthur
Auto does seem to be a good move. I don't really agree with him for some of the moves tbh..
Jab seems to be a good option for when they get too close imo
Up smash is just :awesome:
The attack itself is good, the problem is the lag that comes with it.

She does it relatively slow and it takes some frames to return to neutral pose. If someone like fox bait you to tilt him and he rolls, its pretty sure that you will receive an upsmash in ur azz

Fluttershy

Element of Kindness
NNID
ArrowofLight
3DS FC
5172-1450-4569
The attack itself is good, the problem is the lag that comes with it.

She does it relatively slow and it takes some frames to return to neutral pose. If someone like fox bait you to tilt him and he rolls, its pretty sure that you will receive an upsmash in ur ***
i didn't mean the tilts i meant her specials..

Top Bottom