• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Miracle Of Light - Palutena in SSB4 (Featuring Cereza from Bayonetta-series)

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
That is an odd but sparkling pairing.

Regarding the Medusa skin I am not enterely sure it is viable

Palutena is depicted right handed while Medusa is left

this was made on purpose to reflect even more the duality of Light and Dark in Uprising, Palutena is right handed in Smash as well.

If they decide to ignore that detail the Mirror Shield is still an issue since obviously Medusa lacks it and their staffs are way to different so hitboxes are an issue. But what I can expect is a Palutena recolor that makes reference to Medusa.

In the case of Olimar and Alph they are simply to similar design wise that this makes sense. I am not discarting this idea completely but I don't see it as viable.
Dexter / sinister.

I see what you did there, Sakurai!

I achieved something today:

I was hoping to get this done by the time Smash Brothers 3DS comes out, and I'm satisfied for doing so. I've been playing this game a truckload since I got it last year, and have now done everything there is to do except collect all powers and max out Viridi's offering counter. The former task is pure luck (I only have some Together Mode power remaining), and the latter task is simply grinding for hearts, of which I've done plenty up to this point. The toughest challenges like beating Boss Battles on hard and converting weapon gems are already behind me.
I honestly always wondered what the benefit of that is. I suppose it is just as the game says: it brings you closer to Our Fair Lady in spirit!

Maraphy

Smash Ace
NNID
Marraph
3DS FC
3780-9036-1349

It's definitely sounding like a merge of portions of the air battles of Chapters 11 and 12, let alone the song name is the same name as Chapter 12's. I approve.
I'm really really glad they used this; Reset Bomb Forest is my favorite music in the game, and this is almost just as good. The orchestral remix is really good; I feel like Smash 4's music is better than brawl's, and Nintendo is just getting better with soundtracks in general. I do kind of prefer parts of the original, and wish that this part of RBF could be incorporated exactly as it is in the original, but pickiness aside I really like the smash 4 rendition! :g

Oniric Spriter

Smash Ace
With today's PotD showing off Samus's 8 costumes and actually confirming that every character will have 8 costumes now, it opens so many possibilities for Palutena now! Medusa and/or Viridi inspired colors? Maybe so.

We're also blessed with 2 new songs added to the site, one being the Kid Icarus one.

It's definitely sounding like a merge of portions of the air battles of Chapters 11 and 12, let alone the song name is the same name as Chapter 12's. I approve.
Such an awesome song.
Palutena needs to have a Viridi recolour with blonde hair pls. But Sakurai seems to respect KI so I have faith in him.

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
My boyfriend bought Uprising for me yesterday. I am having a blast playing it (for the first time) :)

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
Hope ya enjoy it, @ Reila Reila ! I'm sure you will.

Anyway, I'm bringing huge news! We might be able to finally see Palutena much closer in action this weekend.

Oh boy, demo of the final build this weekend.

http://www.nintendo.co.jp/event/smashbros_3ds_event2014/index.html

Hoping we get some Robin gameplay then. The Wario logo is present in the page background, so I guess Wario will be available for this demo despite not being officially revealed yet, so maybe Robin will be available for this one too.
I hope it has the final build, but yeh!

Wintropy

NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
My boyfriend bought Uprising for me yesterday. I am having a blast playing it (for the first time) :)
You lucky young creature. You're in for a treat.

Hope ya enjoy it, @ Reila Reila ! I'm sure you will.

Anyway, I'm bringing huge news! We might be able to finally see Palutena much closer in action this weekend.

This gives me many happies.

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
So this weekend may prove to be amazing. I hope some Pit and Palutena footage is shown, mostly the latter since we haven't seen much of her. Maybe we'll get to see amazing costumes along the way. <3

Beastmegs

Smash Cadet
NNID
Beastmegs
3DS FC
3325-1862-3482
Palutena better be playable at the event i'm dire need of gameplay of her
and see what some of her alt colors are only more day.

Mr. Johan

Smash Hero
NNID
Sonicboom93

It is the final build. Sakurai confirmed it.

https://twitter.com/Sora_Sakurai/status/507340313128488960

"試遊 up to now, was E3 Edition equivalent. Over-the-counter trial version of this will be equivalent to the retail version."
It may not necessarily have all the characters revealed so far, but considering the Japanese eShop has the entire roster - Lucina in a CSS screenshot, who knows, Palutena may be in this one.

Last edited:

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483

Burigu

Smash Ace
So you were a suporter without playing the game? I guarantee you, you will support Pit and Palutena even more after playing this excelent game ;) the characters are just really memorable

Reila

So you were a suporter without playing the game? I guarantee you, you will support Pit and Palutena even more after playing this excelent game ;) the characters are just really memorable
Yes. I was also a Robin supporter without playing Awakening (played only the demo) :p Although I have played the original Kid Icarus years ago ^^

I am loving the characters so far (I am on chapter 5). Magnus in special was a nice surprise.

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
So @Relia ...
If you finished Chapter 5, did you love that cute and hilarious Pit moment? You know what I mean. :p
And I love that new avy that @ Neo Zero Neo Zero has. More Palutena love, though I wonder where it came from. :4palutena:

Neo Zero

Banned via Administration
So @Relia ...
If you finished Chapter 5, did you love that cute and hilarious Pit moment? You know what I mean. :p
And I love that new avy that @ Neo Zero Neo Zero has. More Palutena love, though I wonder where it came from. :4palutena:
I'm sure I've seen it used here before. I think I even used something similar to it before, but now it's bordered :p

Reila

So @Relia ...
You mean Pit posing like a magical girl? It was adorable. I tried to find a .gif of that scene but no luck so far.

(Thanatos is hilarious, by the way)

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
Aww, I coulda saved it for how cute it is, @ Neo Zero Neo Zero

@ Reila Reila Yea huh! That's one of my all time favorite cute Pit moments. I remember seeing a gif of it somewhere, but I forgotten where it was. Oh well. Someone might have it though. D:

Last edited:

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
Something tells me her customs will still be unlockables, but we just need more data and previews. If there's any new Pit/Palutena info around or footage, I have to know. D:

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
Something tells me her customs will still be unlockables, but we just need more data and previews. If there's any new Pit/Palutena info around or footage, I have to know. D:
I think they all are - since I suspect same for all custom moves.

That made me think. what do you guys think of Palutena's competitive viability when it comes to custom moves?

Personally, I think she'll lend for loads of versatility, considering how just many types of specials there are.

Last edited:

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
I think they all are - since I suspect same for all custom moves.

That made me think. what do you guys think of Palutena's competitive viability when it comes to custom moves?

Personally, I think she'll lend for loads of versatility, considering how just many types of specials there are.
The unique custom gimmick just adds to her uniqueness and versatility even more than the other characters are (even more than those Miis I may have to add). First Palutena looks like the typical slow defensive type, but you can add to her defenses with her projectiles and reflectors, or go with extra speed with Super Speed/Lightweight. And that's just the surface of data on her capabilities.

Last edited:

Reila

I made the gif :'D

Thanks to lovely @ Neo Zero Neo Zero who found a high quality video of the scene for me~

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
@ Reila Reila
How can you not love silly little Pit after that? And it's so high quality! I'm almost tempted to ask for a higher resolution. Pit's too adorable not to love after that. Serious, that hair flip and sparkles. <3
I always wondered how Palutena would look doing one of those moments, with or without Pit by her side.

EDIT: I know this technically isn't Palutena, but I kinda requested my Gold Pit doing that stance quite some time ago.

If this isn't adorable, I don't know what is, that adorable lucky boy.

Last edited:

Neo Zero

Banned via Administration
I made the gif :'D

Thanks to lovely @ Neo Zero Neo Zero who found a high quality video of the scene for me~
I am lovely aren't I :p
@ Reila Reila
How can you not love silly little Pit after that? And it's so high quality! I'm almost tempted to ask for a higher resolution. Pit's too adorable not to love after that. Serious, that hair flip and sparkles. <3
I always wondered how Palutena would look doing one of those moments, with or without Pit by her side.
If she did 11/10 would main.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
You know, at this point I'm gonna suspect that I'm Pit and my big sister is Palutena.

When we're together, that is.

I never will get over that moment though, Pit's dork levels is sometimes skyhigh.

*Shot*

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
She would be a big sister if not a mother to some of us. Just wait til the game comes out, then hopefully we're gonna see some epic Pit/Palutena teams, and/or appropriate fanart of the 2. I still wanna see Pit and Palutena do a Daybreak/Mega Laser combo in some fanart. Red and blue lasers FTW!

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
Palutena's probably a big sis to me, but can be a Waifu too. I wouldn't know, but definitely one I'd love to hang out with, although I'd probably hate being teased too much. :( At the same time, I wonder who'd be the one to train me on how to fight. I've always felt that Phosphora could train someone on hand/foot combat + speed improvements if motivated, but not sure what the Goddess of Light's special categories would be besides those Powers and knowledge on some things.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
That brings me this little thing I thought heatedly about today.

Maybe it's me, but I don't really like people saying Palutena is a "troll". Teasing as she may get, I have to yet see her being anything mean-spirited to Pit with it. It's more about messing with him for giggles and seeing Pit's usually hilarious reactions to them.

Also people might come at me for saying this but might I now say I didn't like the anime segment of her trailer very much? I guess because it didn't really focus on Palutena until the very last bit ,and even then it was the sort of humor I wasn't entirely high on.
Even if the battle looked pretty fierce, Pit got his ass handed by Link- and when Palutena's turn came in the anime segment, it felt like full-on pandering (throwing poor Pit away for lulz *cringe*, and that cliche fanservice).

The gameplay parts always seem to refresh me into hype to look forward playing as her because it really contrasts with everything they showed, or didn't show in the anime segment.
There were things like using wings in her attacks(which is really cool), looking just elegant and beautiful in terms of appearance rather than "sexy" and actually showing off her fighting prowess - even if it was mostly Powers, but even that was cool, watching her bust them out in such a rhythm.

Maybe it's because I'm not into overly played audience pandering tropes forced to mold a character's personality to such easy generalization - because already hearing that Palutena is "Sakurai's avatar" at best due both apparently "being similar in personality and power" is about to get on my nerves. That's not the Palutena I grew up with in a nutshell and I'd rather not be talking about liking Sakurai when liking Palutena (because both have their own merits and reasons I like them)
Anyway, people overplay her funny and flawed sides (since she's based on one particular Greek Goddess) to the point where it's making her another stock anime stereotype, in this case, a well-meaning, but trolling authority type.

Sorry for that rant, but I guess I was just getting this feeling that now my interpretation to her is too "nice" - apparently I should make her about as "amusingly mean-spirited" as not having trouble using Pit (or Robin according to one fanfic I read) in a way that demeans or buttmonkeys them for her own benefit.
It's just I think of my big sister who also teases and messes with me regularly just to see my reactions, but acts a great mentor and aid, and is hardly a person who'd intentionally set me off in a way that hurts me for her own amusement. And when lookin' at Palutena, she ain't much different. I love her very much and that might be biggest reason why I fell for the Goddess of Light in the first place.

So yeah, I'd have no trouble having Palutena as my big sister of sorts. (-´2`-)

Last edited:

Reila

I didn't like the anime segment either. Sure, it was well animated, but the focus wasn't the newcomer (Palutena) and that T&A shot was entirely unnecessary.

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
@ ~ Valkyrie ~ ~ Valkyrie ~ You have a good point.

Palutena technically isn't a troll. Teasing, trolling, bullying are different things really, and it's more to be on the hilarious side without hurting Pit too much.

I was convinced a few weeks ago that her trailer wasn't that great, but definitely not the worst. The trailer's about Palutena, yet she got half the spotlight due to that Pit v Link battle thing, not to mention it wasn't the idea I had in mind that I wanted to happen. And she shouldn't have tossed Pit aside like that. Why couldn't it be Pit and Palutena fighting together while the latter got most of the spotlight, like what they did with the Fire Emblem one, and then Palutena playfully pushes Pit or something in the end instead of this Dark Pit thing. I don't even find him cool at all, just another typical dark variation of a character with a meaner and/or more aggressive attitude. Hasn't that been done to death already like the "Dark Lord" thing Pit mentioned once? -_-

The good thing about the trailer though was that we got to see all of her custom specials, and will only be disappointing to those who didn't like her move choices (I can understand ppl hating Counter... as if we don't have enough characters with a variant of that), or wanted her to use more light magic. The wing attacks were a great touch for sure, though.

I'm kinda so-so about that, and hate the generic mainstream things for the most part, which also is part of my reasons why of the disdain I have for certain things. Idk what else to say about this, and ppl probably forgotten that Sakurai prefers Viridi over Palutena; he said it himself... but that's not part of the topic I guess.
I always hated some of the generic anime stereotypes for the most part, like Tsunderes, "weak protagonist, but stronger support characters", or that "abuse males every episode" kinda stuff. But as for Palutena, though I hoped she'd be a bit more serious or less funny sometimes... At least she has one of the greater personalities Nintendo characters ever had, let alone talk a lot, which is rare outside of Kid Icarus and Starfox, but Pit's personality is better.

It's fine. Sometimes I have mixed feelings about the situation for her as well. Honestly, there's times in my mind that wishes that in a potential KI:U sequel, Pit gets captured by an enemy (not the main antagonist) after being ambushed (after beating a boss), then for the next few chapters, you get to play as Palutena to rescue him (and NO Dark Pit around this time. Phosphora, maybe), which could be the excuse I wanted to have her save Pit in-person for a change. After all, Pit did save her on more than 1 occasion, so why not have Palutena save him to repay the favor? Something sort of like that is what I wanted. I mean come on... The captain saves the Goddess, yet the Goddess can't save her captain, who happens to be her ONLY good soldier in her army that she supposedly cherishes? Sighs, I gotta calm down, but you know what I mean, right?
So I see. I was hoping Palutena could actually train Pit, or at least spar with him to help him get stronger. It would be a nice touch sometimes, or even ask Viridi and her commanders to help (like the Phosphora thing I mentioned). You'd be surprised about how many ideas I have.

Like I said, big sis Palutena would fit me best, though she shouldn't tease me too much, and she'll owe me a hug or 2 after the teasing torture. :(

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
According to my eyes:
-B is Autoreticle
-Side B is Reflect Barrier
-Up-B is Warp
-Down B is probably counter according to the glowing shield.

Just had to make sure we know what her main specials are. I gotta find better larger quality since my eyes aren't so great.
Anything for Pit? D:

Last edited:

Reila

I wish at least warp wasn't one of her defaults. Jump Glide is way cooler.

Pit's moveset:

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
At least Pit's power improved.

*eyetwitch* Diddy's stupid bananas are back...

But yes, Jump Glide is cooler. Maybe we'll get to see her in action during this Japanese final build event thing I've been hearing about. It's supposed to come later today in my time, tomorrow for Japan. Hoping for Palutena so we can get more data on her. Did I mention her Final Smash is my favorite, second only to Pit's?

Wintropy

NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
That brings me this little thing I thought heatedly about today.

Maybe it's me, but I don't really like people saying Palutena is a "troll". Teasing as she may get, I have to yet see her being anything mean-spirited to Pit with it. It's more about messing with him for giggles and seeing Pit's usually hilarious reactions to them.

Also people might come at me for saying this but might I now say I didn't like the anime segment of her trailer very much? I guess because it didn't really focus on Palutena until the very last bit ,and even then it was the sort of humor I wasn't entirely high on.
Even if the battle looked pretty fierce, Pit got his *** handed by Link- and when Palutena's turn came in the anime segment, it felt like full-on pandering (throwing poor Pit away for lulz *cringe*, and the fanservice).

The gameplay parts always seems to refresh me from those cringes into hype to look forward playing as her, because it really contrasts with everything they showed or didn't show in the anime segment. There were things like using wings in her attacks, looking more of elegant and beautiful in terms of appearances rather than "sexy" and actually showing off her fighting prowess - even if it was mostly Powers.

Maybe it's because I'm not into overly played audience pandering tropes forced to mold a character's personality to such easy generalization - because already hearing that Palutena is "Sakurai's avatar" at best due both apparently "being similar in personality and power" is about to get on my nerves. That's not the Palutena I grew up with in a nutshell and I'd rather not be talking about liking Sakurai when liking Palutena (because both have their own merits and reasons I like them)
Anyway, people overplay her funny and flawed sides (since she's based on one particular Greek Goddess) to the point where it's making her another stock anime stereotype, in this case, a well-meaning, but trolling authority type.

Sorry for that rant, but I guess I was just getting this feeling that now my interpretation to her is too "nice" - apparently I should make her about as "amusingly mean-spirited" as not having trouble using Pit (or Robin according to one fanfic I read) in a way that demeans or buttmonkeys them for her own benefit.
It's just I think of my big sister who also teases and messes with me regularly just to see my reactions, but acts a great mentor and aid, and is hardly a person who'd intentionally set me off in a way that hurts me for her own amusement. And when lookin' at Palutena, she ain't much different. I love her very much and that might be biggest reason why I fell for the Goddess of Light in the first place.

So yeah, I'd have no trouble having Palutena as my big sister of sorts. (-´2`-)
I like Palutena because she is, in my eyes, the archetypal "Big Good" done well. I'll keep this in spoiler tags because it's a wee bit of a wall of text! ;3

Let me explain. In just about every story, there's the "Big Bad". There's always some evil presence that acts as the antagonistic foil to the heroes: the dark lord in the midnight castle, the scheming supervillain planning world domination, and so on and so forth. In this case, we have Medusa, the Goddess of Darkness. She turns people to stone, poisons rivers, sends hordes of infernal monsters to terrorise the land and generally causes chaos and madness. She's pretty self-evidently the bad guy.

Then we have Palutena, the Goddess of Light. Palutena is the polar opposite of Medusa in every conceivable way: Medusa is a grotesque demon, Palutena is a beautiful woman; Medusa is a calm, sinister evildoer, Palutena is a lively, vivacious force of good; Medusa is dark in her colour scheme, Palutena favous bright tones; Medusa commands death and ruin, Palutena orders life and honour. They're both exceedingly different.

That being said, look at them a little closer and you'll notice that they're actually a lot more similar than their initial appearances may suggest. Both are goddesses that oversee the world before them, each one maintaining dominion over a certain key element of existence: light and dark, good and evil, life and death, white and black. The two are not mutually exclusive, as they are, rather, two sides of the same coin, so to speak; mirror images of one-another. They even wield similar staves, and both are wielded in the other hand!

What's really cool, though, is that neither of them are presented as being obliquely "good" or "evil". Both are equally grey in certain areas.

Medusa is a cruel, merciless bringer of terror and destructive power, but she is only reacting in a human way - she has been mocked and scorned too often, to the extent that she has become a force for evil. All she desires is cold, calculated vengeance on those that made her the way she is. She appears in the climax to knock off Hades's final blow, so tired is she of being his mindless servant that she displays that most human of traits: free will. Regardless of whether she willingly chose the paths of evil and darkness to begin with, she has elected to become the symbol of all that she has been depicted as. She is the embodiment of evil not because she wants to be, but because that's just how the world sees her.

Palutena, conversely, is a hero with a lot of grey smeared into her pure whiteness. She is the ruler of Skyworld and the protector of mortal beings; the very embodiment of justice and honesty. That being said, let's consider some the things she does throughout the course of the story: she turns Medusa into a wicked abomination to reflect the evil in her heart, thus creating the very antagonist that becomes her arch-nemesis in years to come; she purposely sends Pit into dangerous situations, confident in his ability to succeed against all odds, but seldom intervening herself; she willingly and happily teases and tricks Pit whenever the situation calls for it and never apologises for her bizzare, juvenile behaviour; she rejects Magnus's cricitisms of her handling the Underworld invasion, citing him as "a jerk" for not conforming to her bleak, cynical standards of humanity; she causes a lot of mischief and has a tendency to disregard the true danger of what she is doing to Pit and others as well; she is arrogant, petty, spiteful and lethargic - hardly qualities we'd consider to be "good"!

And that's why I love her so much. She isn't the all-encompassing, incorruptable effigy of truth and light that so many "Big Good" characters are: she's fallible, she's corruptible, she's weird, she's messed up in all sorts of strange, humanistic ways. She makes mistakes, she breaks down, she has flaws, she isn't as strong as she's made out to be. She's the embodiment of light and the paragon of virtue to mortal beings; but to other deities, she's just another goddess with a lot of responsibilities and her own personal agendas to accrue and maintain. Pit regards her as the saviour of creation and the greatest person in existence, not out of coercion or irrational judgement, but because he genuinely loves and cares for her. Palutena's job is a hell of a task and it's clear that, for all of her divine powers and cosmic levels of egotism, she suffers and cries just like everybody else does. Pit sees her for what she truly is and he doesn't mind: he sees past the good and into the darkness of the abyss and sees it staring back at him, the true, essentially human aspects of her; and then beyond even that to see the real good within her, not just the projected, reflected good.

Palutena, in my eyes, represents true good. She is the sort of good that doesn't care if it's weak and ill-equipped, if it's foolish and naive - it's good for the sake of being good and because it's the right thing to do. To err is human, to forgive is divine: and no godly paragon of good and saviour of justice is truly divine without being just a little human.

I like your interpretation, of course. She's kind of a lackadaisical, borderline sociopath nutjob, but she does care for Pit unconditionally and doesn't tease and trick him for her own benefit: she does it because she's human. Call me crazy and unusual if you will, but I'd rather have a crazy, unpredictable mentor and friend who'll cast me into a volcano to find an immortal phoenix one moment and hold my battered, charred body with tears in her eyes and songs on her tongue the next than an absolute authority of good and light that doesn't really understand what good really and truly is.

Last edited:

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
I like Palutena because she is, in my eyes, the archetypal "Big Good" done well. I'll keep this in spoiler tags because it's a wee bit of a wall of text! ;3

Let me explain. In just about every story, there's the "Big Bad". There's always some evil presence that acts as the antagonistic foil to the heroes: the dark lord in the midnight castle, the scheming supervillain planning world domination, ad so on and so forth. In this case, we have Medusa, the Goddess of Darkness. She turns people to stone, poisons rivers, sends hordes of infernal monsters to terrorise the land and generally causes chaos and madness. She's pretty self-evidently the bad guy.

Then we have Palutena, the Goddess of Light. Palutena is the polar opposite of Medusa in every conceivable way: Medusa is a grotesque demon, Palutena is a beautiful woman; Medusa is a calm, sinister evildoer, Palutena is a lively, vivacious force of good; Medusa is dark in her colour scheme, Plautena favous bright tones; Medusa commands death and ruin, Palutena orders life and honour. They're both exceedingly different.

That being said, look at them a little closer and you'll notice that they're actually a lot more similar than their initial appearances may suggest. Both are goddesses that oversee the world before them, each one maintaining dominion over a certain key element of existence: light and dark, good and evil, life and death, white and black. The two are not mutually exclusive, as they are, rather, two sides of the same coin, so to speak; mirror images of one-another. They even wield similar staves, and both are wielded in the other hand!

What's really cool, though, is that neither of them are presented as being obliquely "good" or "evil". Both are equally grey in certain areas.

Medusa is a cruel, merciless bringer of terror and destructive power, but she is only reacting in a human way - she has been mocked and scorned too often, to the extent that she has become a force for evil that all she desires is cold, calculated vengeance on those that made her the way she is. She appears in the climax to stave off Hades's final blow, so tired is she of being his mindless servant that she displays that most human of traits, free will. Regardless of whether she willingly chose the paths of evil and darkness to begin with, she has chosen to become the symbol of all that she has been depicted as. She is the embodiment of evil not because she wants to be, but because that's just how the world sees her.

Palutena, conversely, is a hero with a lot of grey smeared into her pure whiteness. She is the ruler of Skyworld and the protector of mortal beings; the very embodiment of justice and honesty. That being said, let's consider some the things she does throughout the course of the story: she turns Medusa into a wicked abomination to reflect the evil in her heart, thus creating the very antagonist that becomes her arch-nemesis in years to come; she purposely sends Pit into dangerous situations, confident in his ability to succeed against all odds, but seldom intervening herself; she willingly and happily teases and tricks Pit whenever the situation calls for it and never apologises for her bizzare, juvenile behaviour; she rejects Magnus's cricitisms of her handling the Underworld invasion, citing him as "a jerk" for not conforming to her bleak, cynical standards of humanity; she is arrogant, petty, spiteful and lethargic - hardly qualities we'd consider to be "good"!

And that's why I love her so much. She isn't the all-encompassing, incorruptable effigy of truth and light that so many "Big Good" characters are: she's fallible, she's corruptible, she's weird, she's messed up in all sorts of strange, humanistic ways. She makes mistakes, she breaks down, she has flaws, she isn't as strong as she's made out to be. She's the embodiment of light and the paragon of virtue to mortal beings; but to other deities, she's just another goddess with a lot of responsibilities and her own personal agendas to accrue and maintain. Pit regards her as the saviour of creation and the greatest person in existence, not out of coercion or irrational judgement, but because he genuinely loves and cares for her. Palutena's job is a hell of a task and it's clear that, for all of her divine powers and cosmic levels of egotism, she suffers and cries just like everybody else does. Pit sees her for what she truly is and he doesn't mind: he sees past the good and into the darkness of the abyss and sees it staring back at him, the true, essentially human aspects of her; and then beyond even that to see the real good within her, not just the projected, reflected good.

Palutena, in my eyes, represents true good. She is the sort of good that doesn't care if it's weak and ill-equipped, if it's foolish and naive - it's good for the sake of being good and because it's the right thing to do. To err is human, to forgive is divine: and no godly paragon of good and saviour of justice is truly divine without a little human.

I like your interpretation, of course. She's kind of a lackadaisical, borderline sociopath nutjob, but she does care for Pit unconditionally and doesn't tease and trick him for her own benefit: she does it because she's human, and I'd rather have a crazy, unpredictable mentor and friend who'll cast me into a volcano to find an immortal phoenix one moment and hold my battered, charred body with tears in her eyes and songs on her tongue the next than an absolute authority of good and light that doesn't really understand what good really and truly is.
My goodness, this is such a deep and well-done analysis!

This is basically what I want more people to know about her, and what draws me to her in many ways- even to inspire me to explore her deeper in stories I'd write. You hitted it right to the core.

People generalizing her as troll or basing her to being slapped with forced anime tropes in the trailer were the whole point of my nitpick, really. But again, it's been also a while I played Uprising, so I think it was also while I got behind her characterization. I only remember that how she's portrayed by most people online just didn't line up with how I knew her.

Might put this to the OP sometime, but just amazing analysis!

Last edited:

Burigu

Smash Ace
This whole thread got deep in my absence.

To be honest I am not that into shippings or waifus business, yes I like characters but I like them for what they are, in my eyes I don't need to put them adjetives adressing me to feel a conection with Palutena or another character.
This is subjetive and I respect the individual view or approach of any of you.

I am of the few people that liked Palutena's trailer? for me it makes sense that Palutena isn't the spotlight until the very end, it goes according to her character she is a goddess that helps her servant behind the scenes, most gods don't do things by themselves and have others to do their will, so the trailer putting atention on Pit at the begining makes sense and in the last second when Pit is going to be finished her goddess jumps in to save him... only to send him flying, I think this captured the KIU humor quite right, Palutena has done this kind of stuff before (monster pheromones, launching the Glam Blaster right in front of Pit). The trailer just tell you. Palutena is no longer just watching she has decided to jump into the fight!

As how I see her to Pit? definetely a big sister, all the jokes are a classic thing between siblings, Palutena also looks older than Pit but not so old to be his mother. Honestly I see this really fitting, we have tons of romantic relationships in gaming that this approach seems perfect, thank God Sakurai didn't consider canon the romantic ending of the original Kid Icarus since said ending is not even present in the japanise version.

Now I am telling you mark on your calendar SEPTEMBER 7TH, that day will be the last day we rate Palutena in satisfaction on the Rate their chances thread, last time we got little support and most people leaned toward negativity to her she dropped a lot in the percentages only above 3 newcomers, please it is an insignificant game but drop by next SUNDAY SEPTEMBER 7TH and show your support, as a fanbase we need to support or character Palutena, yeah even you who have never participated in that thread just show that day for her and to make it more legitime rate Pacman and Mii fighters as well.

I just hate to "lose" so if Palutena gets good scores I feel like winnig, but if she gets low scores I feel like losing

@ Wintropy Wintropy really nice analisis but I have to dissagree in the segment about "Medusa being driven to evil". Medusa was evil since the begining, she and Palutena both co ruled Skyworld (angel land but that name is not used at all in Uprising so not sure if it became non canon) Palutena watched and helped mankind but Medusa hated humanity and started attacking them. (As seen in the Anime).

Palutena got so upset and annoyed with her for messing with humanity than in a rage turned her into her monstrous appearance.

The plot on Uprising mostly revolves around Medusa waitting revenge on both Pit and Palutena because they defeated her, but neither Palutena's not Pit's actions send her to the evil site

Last edited:
Top Bottom