• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Mini Mafia Game Thread | Newbies are welcome! | Town wins Gheb's game | Zen next to host!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reader

Smash Apprentice
How does JeXs' vote translate to a scummy action? Why would scum blatantly follow the wagon for its own sake? I like that you're being open in your interpretation but I feel like you're a tad misguided in how you formulated your read.
When a player joins the bandwagon he doesn't have to justify his vote. When a player doesn't justify his votes and doesn't share his/her thoughts the player isn't contributing to the game. If we won't get enough information about that player, we cannot form a clear picture of him/her. Only mafia benefits from this situation, so that's why early bandwagons aren't usually very beneficial (unless by chance the target happens to be part of mafia, which has approximately 29% possibility of occurring in this game build).

And while joining the bandwagon wasn't, in my opinion, very good move from JeXs, that doesn't automatically mean that s/he's scum. Every player makes mistakes and newbies do them more. Anyways, there is someone, who hasn't really been very contributing.

Vote: Potassium

Sharing is caring and by not sharing your thoughts you have shown that you don't care about us. However, it's not too late to change! Why have you only voted newbies? Do you have any opinions about other players?

JeXs

Smash Champion
Early wagons are usually only there to pressure. They rarely ever lead to a lynch.
Also, Dietz hasn't even posted at all.

#HBC | Gorf

toastin walrus since 4/20 maaaan
@ R Reader that's not necessarily true. A players actions can easily speak for themselves, it's just up to us to interpret them. Personally, Kantrip is a wagon that I'm very open to join cuz i don't give enough of a **** to try n interpret his actions.

vote potassium

Talk.

JeXs

Smash Champion
When a player joins the bandwagon he doesn't have to justify his vote. When a player doesn't justify his votes and doesn't share his/her thoughts the player isn't contributing to the game. If we won't get enough information about that player, we cannot form a clear picture of him/her. Only mafia benefits from this situation, so that's why early bandwagons aren't usually very beneficial (unless by chance the target happens to be part of mafia, which has approximately 29% possibility of occurring in this game build).

And while joining the bandwagon wasn't, in my opinion, very good move from JeXs, that doesn't automatically mean that s/he's scum. Every player makes mistakes and newbies do them more. Anyways, there is someone, who hasn't really been very contributing.

Sharing is caring and by not sharing your thoughts you have shown that you don't care about us. However, it's not too late to change! Why have you only voted newbies? Do you have any opinions about other players?
What did you think were my intentions when I voted J?

Jdietz43

BRoomer
BRoomer
@ #HBC | Dark Horse #HBC | Dark Horse : request votecount

My reasoning is the exact same reason that J and potato voted me at the started. To form a wagon and pressure the person.
If that's true then why when later presented with an opportunity to question J about anything you wanted did you choose not to question him in full? J hand-fed you multiple options for constructive questions, but instead you asked him to defend himself from an RVS vote from Zen.

@J, same goes for you. You stopped asking Jex for insight after getting one answer about Gorf. Why wait for more content instead of asking Jex why he's at least mock afraid of your RVS?

#HBC | Dark Horse

Mach-Hommy x Murakami
VOTECOUNT:
Gorf [0] -
J [1] - JeXs
Reader [1] - Kantrip
JeXs [0] - J
Zen [0] -
Deitz [0] -
Kantrip [2] - Gorf, Reader

Not Voting: Deitz, Zen

Last edited:

#HBC | J

Prince of DGamesia
I didn't find the question that important because it has a lot of answers that wouldn't really help me determine his alignment. He could easily just cop-out to "lol mock afraid of RVS because RVS". That's the reason I hate RVS and things because it gives people an out.

Someone talk to me about the Potato wagon. That seems to have the most content regarding a push over that of my wagon/Jexy/Reader.

@MOD: You forgot about putting Zen's name back in the "not voting" list.

JeXs

Smash Champion
I didn't find the question that important because it has a lot of answers that wouldn't really help me determine his alignment. He could easily just cop-out to "lol mock afraid of RVS because RVS". That's the reason I hate RVS and things because it gives people an out.

Someone talk to me about the Potato wagon. That seems to have the most content regarding a push over that of my wagon/Jexy/Reader.

I think he's being voted for only voting newbies without doing anything else. Just being useless pretty much.

JeXs

Smash Champion
I'm actually really curious about what his thoughts were while voting.

Kantrip

Kantplay
Sure, but RVS is only what you make of it. There is a reason that a player does what they do in just about every situation, and it's our job as townies to determine whether or not somebody is acting out of bad intentions or genuinely from a townie's point of view.

I guess what I'm tryna say is how do you feel about RVS so far? Knowing all of Zen (zack), J, and Kantrip (potato), I'm SURE that they have their own opinions of what has developed so far. You don't need to have concrete reads, I just wanna know how you're looking at things right now, so I can have a better understanding of how to read you. In this setup we have little room for error, so getting a read on the players I haven't played with yet will be crucial to making my decision on who to lynch toDay.
Gorf is no longer a poop.
There's no way either scum will ever win this haha.

I'm contract hitman. Gorf is town. Jex is town. J is scum.

Vote: J

After we lynch J, the second scum will have to kill me. D2 you simply find out which of Dietz, Potassium, and Reader is the second scum.
Zen is a double poop.

Kantrip

Kantplay
There are three options. 1. That Zack Fair is contract hitman 2. That Zack Fair is scum who claims to be contract hitman or 3. That Zack Fair is townie who claims to be contract hitman. The third option seems unlikely because the real hitman might also reveal himself, and when there are two persons, who claim to the real hitman it's obvious that either of them is lying. That would lead to a situation where one townie and one hitman would be suspected. Why would townie want this?

The second option is also unlikely, because it would be suicidal.

So that really means that Zack Fair is contract hitman, since all the other options would be harmful to him.
I really like that you looked at all possible options and then narrowed it down based on factors that made each one more or less likely. Keep that style of thinking as you come to understand the game more. It's good to be open-minded to all possible avenues.

It's also good that you're laying out your thought process of how you came to your conclusion, makes you easy to read.

However, that doesn't mean that I believe that J is scum. I don't really think that a dream is good reason to vote for anybody.

Vote: JeXs

Your reasoning for your Vote makes me confused. First you doubt the "information" Zack gives to you. When Zack claims that the source of his "information" is a dream, you suddenly believe him? Why?
Do you understand why J and me voted for JeXs?

Kantrip

Kantplay
What do you feel about Reader's vote on me?
You haven't been doing anything but voting the newbies.
Damn, and here I thought nobody would notice. Excellent observation. :smirk:

Reader's vote was pretty logical, not quite grasping pressure votes and all. Zen's reasoning makes little sense and has no weight behind it, and yet you followed it. I'm sure in Reader's eyes that warranted suspicion.
Ayyo Kantrip I feel you n all but like if you're thinking what I think you're thinking that actually points to em being town.

@ R Reader

How does JeXs' vote translate to a scummy action? Why would scum blatantly follow the wagon for its own sake? I like that you're being open in your interpretation but I feel like you're a tad misguided in how you formulated your read.
I'm not sure if you feel me. I don't think Reader is scummy, I'm just preying on the weak.

Well I thought I was, but JeXs is pretty strong and Reader's got some potential.

Kantrip

Kantplay
For some reason I had in my head that Contract Hitmen were independent aligned. Silly me.

Ignore my question to you Zen, and also you're not a poop.

JeXs

Smash Champion
Damn, and here I thought nobody would notice. Excellent observation. :smirk:

Reader's vote was pretty logical, not quite grasping pressure votes and all. Zen's reasoning makes little sense and has no weight behind it, and yet you followed it. I'm sure in Reader's eyes that warranted suspicion.

I'm not sure if you feel me. I don't think Reader is scummy, I'm just preying on the weak.

Well I thought I was, but JeXs is pretty strong and Reader's got some potential.
Sorry, I don't understand what you mean by strong. Also, good string of posts! I like it.

Kantrip

Kantplay

That last segment is really awkwardly worded.

Anyways, just because someone doesn't justify their vote doesn't mean it's not useful.

I didn't justify my votes at all, and I would say that led to a lot of discussion. Furthermore, an unjustified vote still shows up in the vote counts. It can cause a lynch and it can put someone at L-1. It can signal that you agree with previous points and have nothing to add, or it can signal that you don't have any reasoning at all. My favourite thing about unjustified votes is that they make people fill in the blanks. You can see JeXs drawing the conclusion that my vote on him was pressure, while Gorf saw me vote you and thought he understood why without me even saying anything! Others still saw my votes and didn't get anything from them, instead asking me for an explanation. All of these different responses help me see how players are approaching the game much more than a vote with made up reasoning would have.

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that JeXs knew as well as you did that Zen's reason for voting J was silly. But by joining in anyways, much can be accomplished. Especially in the awkward early phases of the game before real reasoning has really come along.

Kantrip

Kantplay
Sorry, I don't understand what you mean by strong. Also, good string of posts! I like it.
You come off as someone who knows how things work. The reading you've done shows. Makes it hard to catch you with the ol' newbie traps.

Kantrip

Kantplay

I've come to realize I don't like when people ask a vague question like "someone tell me about _____ wagon."

Who do you want to hear from? What do you want to hear about it? It looks like an attempt to ask a question to look proactive, but it doesn't have any goal in mind which makes it look like it isn't effective in helping you scumhunt. Is it first come first serve? Does the one who answers get a free townread? Do you look strangely at people who post but ignore your question? What is it doing for you?

Unvote

Kantrip

Kantplay
@ #HBC | Gorf #HBC | Gorf it's great that you're helping explain things for newbies and all but if you could stop playing armchair exclusively and get your hands dirty, that would be great.

And no, a pressure vote on me for not posting doesn't count.

JeXs

Smash Champion
He's scummy because he's being too nice? I do remember him saying somewhere that he would be nice.

Jdietz43

BRoomer
BRoomer
I'm getting vibes from this post that J is making an effort to get into JeXs' head. Most proactive player so far. Gorf and Zen are poops.
I don't get that feeling from that statement at all. To me it read much more like J is phoning it in on question and answer time rather than digging into JeX for the early reads when I'd expect it from a player who's around when the game opens.

But I'm glad you retracted Zen poop status.

Jdietz43

BRoomer
BRoomer

Fair enough, but personally I'd have tried anyways. This is a brand new player, they might have said anything, and that'd get the ball rolling some more, maybe even slipped if we're lucky lol.

Jdietz43

BRoomer
BRoomer
That last segment is really awkwardly worded.

Anyways, just because someone doesn't justify their vote doesn't mean it's not useful.

I didn't justify my votes at all, and I would say that led to a lot of discussion. Furthermore, an unjustified vote still shows up in the vote counts. It can cause a lynch and it can put someone at L-1. It can signal that you agree with previous points and have nothing to add, or it can signal that you don't have any reasoning at all. My favourite thing about unjustified votes is that they make people fill in the blanks. You can see JeXs drawing the conclusion that my vote on him was pressure, while Gorf saw me vote you and thought he understood why without me even saying anything! Others still saw my votes and didn't get anything from them, instead asking me for an explanation. All of these different responses help me see how players are approaching the game much more than a vote with made up reasoning would have.

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that JeXs knew as well as you did that Zen's reason for voting J was silly. But by joining in anyways, much can be accomplished. Especially in the awkward early phases of the game before real reasoning has really come along.
You're officially saying Reader vote was "4 da reads" I take it?

#HBC | Gorf

toastin walrus since 4/20 maaaan
Imma wait till I get home to make a more solid conclusion, but so far I'm thinking scum lies within jexs-j-Dietz, solely based on the fact that the other three read as town. Zen I think you're a duck for thinking me being too nice is scummy, I honestly just don't wanna scare the newbs away... Just yet ;). I am, after all, the one that suggested treating minis with newbs like semi newbie games, so I'd be a hypocrite to just treat em brashly out of the get go.

#HBC | J

Prince of DGamesia
Vote: Gorf
Out of all the people voting/voted, I like this one the most.

Also since no-one CC'd Zen, I'm pretty much semi-clearing him as town for the time being for easier reads.

Gonna do things in my other game then come back to here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom