• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Miiverse Daily Smash 4 Photos (Closed for its successor)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nixon Corral

Southland Scion
NNID
Nixon_Corral
I think it's important to note that this isn't getting rid of edgehogging invincibility frames, it's just making them shorter. This should just make edgehogging all the more satisfying to pull off. I think it makes it a *more* technical move.

NickerBocker

Smash Lord
3DS FC
2492-4251-5054
Heres my take on the new mechanic:

If youre in the air for longer, you have a longer invincibility for grabbing the ledge. Shorter airtime results in shorter invincibility. This is also added to other characters allowing to "steal" the ledge from someone whos invincibility time is up.

So basically, ledge hogging will still exist, it will just have to be timed better in order to be effective. Instead of just hanging on the ledge, the person edgehogging will have to time correctly. Too early, and the ledge can be stolen, as apposed to camping the ledge the whole time.

APC99

Smash Master
NNID
APC-99
3DS FC
3840-8265-8211
Alright, as a semi-casual, can somebody correct me if I'm wrong?

So now, instead of Mario grabbing the ledge and Link can't grab it either, like in Brawl, Link can actually knock Mario off when he tries to grab it, adding more strategy.

And now, instead of being slower when you have over 100%, and getting up the ledge slowly, it stays normal?

And air time, alongside damage, will affect how much invincibility you have when grabbing a ledge?

Toxicroaker

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4184-2367-6702
I can imagine it... Mega Man grabs the ledge, pushing someone else off. He then proceeds to drop under the ledge, immediately jumps up and BAM! Hard knuckle kill. The competitive scene will be AMAZING!!!

Empyrean

Smash Champion
NNID
Arnprior
I hope edgehogging isn't entirely removed. From what I understand, it will require you to be extremely precise with your timing, and characters like Fox and Marth with direct recovery moves can still be most probably edgeguarded relatively easily, except of course if auto-snapping has ridiculous range like in Brawl. This might also encourage more offstage play, assuming of course that characters have better options in the air.

SmashShadow

Smash Champion
3DS FC
0104-0598-9588
I missed the best update so far because of a stupid power outage. :facepalm: Anyways, I'm pleasantly surprised with this update and how it fixes something I really didn't like in brawl.

RODO

Smash Ace
I think it's important to note that this isn't getting rid of edgehogging invincibility frames, it's just making them shorter. This should just make edgehogging all the more satisfying to pull off. I think it makes it a *more* technical move.
Exactly how I saw the update as well. Also, DK is going to be a beast on the ledge now.

APC99

Smash Master
NNID
APC-99
3DS FC
3840-8265-8211
Y'know what I wanna be?

SONIC THE EDGEHOG!

Steal edge, jump up, d-air, rinse and repeat.

Katy Parry

The Only Zelda in Indiana
NNID
justysuxx

If youre in the air for longer, you have a longer invincibility for grabbing the ledge. Shorter airtime results in shorter invincibility. This is also added to other characters allowing to "steal" the ledge from someone whos invincibility time is up.

So basically, ledge hogging will still exist, it will just have to be timed better in order to be effective. Instead of just hanging on the ledge, the person edgehogging will have to time correctly. Too early, and the ledge can be stolen, as apposed to camping the ledge the whole time.
This. exactly.

Phan7om

ドリームランドの悪夢
This ledgehog stuff is great and all, in fact its probably the best competitive thing Ive heard yet besides no tripping... but I wouldnt assume that it helps tether recoveries. From what we have so far, we cant jump to conclusions about how this buffs tethers, how a characters weight changes invincibility, or other factors affect it until we get notice from Sakurai.

extremechiton

Smash Lord
NNID
Extremechiton
3DS FC
1590-4719-6526
Switch FC
SW 5498 9796 6766

i think its the opposite. people with multiple jumps have more time to recover and dont need the extra invincibility frames, where as someone with a terrible recover (i.e. link) would have more invincible frames to help him get up better.

NickerBocker

Smash Lord
3DS FC
2492-4251-5054
i think its the opposite. people with multiple jumps have more time to recover and dont need the extra invincibility frames, where as someone with a terrible recover (i.e. link) would have more invincible frames to help him get up better.
Im saying its independent of the character. Its dependent on air time (with a cap, of course) that is attainable for all characters. Basically, after using all your jumps and grabbing the ledge, you have maximum invincibility frames, and no jumps used results in the least amount of frames.

This way, characters who have a good recovery (Kirby) will almost never have the maximum frames of invincibilty, because they dont need it as they usually arent resorting to using all their mid air jumps. This contrasts with someone like Link, who will have the frames available almost every time he recovers due to his bad recovery. This gives the advantage to the ledge to worse recoveries so they cant be gimped as easily.

Tldr: balance

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
So what do you think Tomorrow will bring? We've gotten a 3DS picture this week so it's not gonna be any updates on those 3DS stages that have had only one picture.

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
Hmm... this new pic is interesting. Not only does this debunk the "HD Brawl" theory, it ALSO opens up TONS of options for competitive!

Take my mone.jpeg

D

Deleted member

This sound like it will be especially useful for Ganondorf players, such as myself. I just pray to god they fix his B+Up because it was so terrible when you actually grabbed someone in brawl. Just look at the video below and tell me if that is fair.

BlitznBurst

Smash Ace
If this does indeed buff tethers, I hope it also applies to characters whose recovery doesn't do damage (e.g. Lucario)

MopedOfJustice

Smash Lord
NNID
MopedOfJustice
Who said that it would help Link?

Clearly it would help Kirby more, as he is able to safely spend more time in the air.

Despite what some off these posts are saying, in Smash "Air Time" means "Time spent in the air" not "amount of jumps used."

Therefore, the special brand of camping that characters like MK and Pit can do has just been given a massive buff.

Morrigan

/!\<br>\¡/
Who said that it would help Link?

Clearly it would help Kirby more, as he is able to safely spend more time in the air.

Despite what some off these posts are saying, in Smash "Air Time" means "Time spent in the air" not "amount of jumps used."

Therefore, the special brand of camping that characters like MK and Pit can do has just been given a massive buff.
On the contrary, the more time you spend off ground, the less invincibility you get, that's how I interpreted it.

Jigglymaster

Smash Hero
NNID
Dapuffster
On the contrary, the more time you spend off ground, the less invincibility you get, that's how I interpreted it.
I'd have to disagree with you there. What they're trying to do is stop players from abusing the ledge, you know, those Metaknight players that hop off the ledge and get right back on it to get the invincibility. If we were to go by how you think it works, these players would be even MORE unstoppable. The invincibility frames are meant for those who are ACTUALLY recovering and thus are spending a good amount of time in the air. Re-grabbing the ledge shouldn't award you any sort of invincibility and that's what this change does.

Jigglymaster

Smash Hero
NNID
Dapuffster
So it benefits planking?
No... the exact opposite. This change stops players from re-grabbing the ledge for invincibility AKA planking. If you're regrabbing the ledge for invincibility that probably means you're not spending a lot of time in the air, and now that you aren't spending enough time in the air you don't get any invincibility for it.

Morrigan

/!\<br>\¡/
Right, so the more often you grab the ledge the less invincible you are. So what this does is make edgeguarding harder than before.

Jigglymaster

Smash Hero
NNID
Dapuffster
Lets make a sample match.

Marth vs Metakinght in Brawl

Metaknight is on the ledge planking by re-grabbing the ledge, and Marth has trouble doing anything about it, he tries to hit Metaknight with a down tilt but no good, Metaknight is invincible on the ledge.

Marth vs Metaknight in Smash 4

Metaknight is on the ledge planking by re-grabbing the ledge, however since you don't get much invincibility for re-grabbing the ledge, Marth can now easily hit Metaknight with a d tilt.

In a nutshell, Edgegaurding has been buffed. Planking has been Nerfed,

Muster

Smash Lord
NNID
Muster
3DS FC
3454-0690-6658
But wait. What is planking? :urg:
this
There is a more in depth explanation in the planking section of camping here, however
Although i'm not an expert on these things, what i've been getting is that Marth will have an easier time edge guarding now that planking is nerfed. Whatever is good for Marth is good for me :laugh:

Morrigan

/!\<br>\¡/
Lets make a sample match.

Marth vs Metakinght in Brawl

Metaknight is on the ledge planking by re-grabbing the ledge, and Marth has trouble doing anything about it, he tries to hit Metaknight with a down tilt but no good, Metaknight is invincible on the ledge.

Marth vs Metaknight in Smash 4

Metaknight is on the ledge planking by re-grabbing the ledge, however since you don't get much invincibility for re-grabbing the ledge, Marth can now easily hit Metaknight with a d tilt.

In a nutshell, Edgegaurding has been buffed. Planking has been Nerfed,

I wouldn't use the term 'buff'. Offstage, the player trying to edge guard someone away will be less safe while doing so given his scarcer invincibility, right?

KiraYoshikage

Smash Journeyman
this

Although i'm not an expert on these things, what i've been getting is that Marth will have an easier time edge guarding now that planking is nerfed. Whatever is good for Marth is good for me :laugh:
I do that all the time but had no idea there was a term for it.

extremechiton

Smash Lord
NNID
Extremechiton
3DS FC
1590-4719-6526
Switch FC
SW 5498 9796 6766
well... the more jumps you have the more time you do spend in the air.
which is why i think its a nerf to those types of characters. they have more jumps to get back onto the stage and dont necessarily need to grab the ledge, but if they do, it may only be to refresh thier jumps, even though invincibility time is cut shorter.

as for those with terrible recoveries, i.e. link and mario, they dont have the luxury of hanging around in the air, so if they do grab the ledge they have more invincibility frames to get back on stage.

if lucario is back in, i hope his recovery actually does some damage, like in project m

Last edited by a moderator:

MopedOfJustice

Smash Lord
NNID
MopedOfJustice
well... the more jumps you have the more time you do spend in the air.
which is why i think its a nerf to those types of characters. they have more jumps to get back onto the stage and dont necessarily need to grab the ledge, but if they do, it may only be to refresh thier jumps, even though invincibility time is cut shorter.

as for those with terrible recoveries, i.e. link and mario, they dont have the luxury of hanging around in the air, so if they do grab the ledge they have more invincibility frames to get back on stage.
No. Just no.
That would buff planking, and the other lower forms of camping.

Sakurai said:
Some other changes include: -Air time ... will determine your period of invincibility while hanging on an edge
Unless Sakurai has been doing heavy drugs, this is what he meant:

The more time you spend in the air, the longer you are invincible.

Why:

I just got knocked towards the intersection of the upper and left blast lines. I don't want to be spiked the moment I grab the ledge because I spent time in the air.

Under your (rather insane) interpretation:

I can drop from the ledge and UB forever, because minimal air time = more invincibility.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom