• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Miiverse Daily Smash 4 Photos (Closed for its successor)

Status
Not open for further replies.

SmashCentralOfficial

Voice of SmashCentralOfficial
if Sakurai could just get off his lazy-*** and focus on the characters instead of catering to competitive douches, we could have all the characters in the world.
Competitive douche here, and I in no way feel as if Sakurai is catering to my preferred playstyle, and I'm sure a majority of people will agree. Sakurai has even said word for word that he wanted to make Brawl more accessible to new players.

He's said this game will find more of a middle ground, but in all honesty, the removal of techniques like l-cancelling and wavedashing caters to the casual crowd. You can include advanced techniques and have both crowds be content, but remove them and only one side is happy.

Curmudgeon

Smash Ace
I don't see why you guys are so against Ridley, or even think it's funny to poke fun at those who want him. He's a big, violent dinosaur. That's awesome. Last I checked it was Super Smash Brothers, not Super Little Girl's Tea Party.
to get satisfaction on someone else s misery is horrible

It's funny seeing how people care too much about a videogame character

If Ridley's appearance makes you feel miserable you really need to reevaluate your life's priorities

TumblrFamous

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-8429-6803-3691
Wow. I've missed so much. Just to let y'all know, though, my junior year is going great so far! But, back to the subject.

I really like the stage, first of all. It's gonna have a different feel to it, I know it. I'm excited it's something different.

Now for the big one. Ridley. Now, this doesn't deconfirm him, not in the slightest. But it doesn't confirm him to appear any time soon. I'd think it'd be a slap to the face if he is just a cameo or stage hazard. But, Sakurai HAS to know of his popularity. He was interviewed about it, he gets suggestions from ALL over the world. And besides, people in Japan talk of his popularity overseas. So he knows that Ridley is THE MOST POPULAR CHARACTER IN THE WEST. Even more than Megaman, perhaps. So I'm just gonna wait for a type of confirmation that confirms him as a stage hazard, cameo, boss, or (fingers crossed) a playable character.

And also, as an EDIT: If Ridley does not make it in, just don't go all scary sad and depressed. As Curmudgeon said, don't obsess over video games like that, and basically live for your favorite character in Smash. I'm perfectly content that Toon Link has a strong chance he can leave, even though I'll be disappointed. Same as Ridley. Sure, I'd be upset that he's not in, but if he's not, I'll understand. Sakurai knows what he's doing.

Just don't become too involved with characters. If a favorite character, like Ridley and K. Rool, is not in it, then they're not in it. Simple enough.

Oh, and P.S. Super Smash Bros. Fan! You're back! I welcome you back!!!! We all missed you! :)

Bat_Tom

Smash Rookie
To be honest I could go either way on getting Ripley in on dis ****.

But the argument that he's too large to be playable doesn't exactly hold water...

Considering that...

Scaling down a character is definitely a thing that's happened before.

Just throwing it out there!

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
Regardless, I have to say this is a beautiful stage! The possibility of Ridley being a stage hazards kind of ruins it for tournaments but, if Ridley is not a stage hazard, it looks like to be the new Smashville! I do wonder if the platforms move as well; horizontally or vertically. It is a very simple yet beautiful stage; something the Metroid series lacks in since it always has something to do with rising lava or monstrous monsters smacking the **** out of the stage. Sure, I love Nofair and Space Frigate Orpheon and the antics they create but they were very gimmacky and hazardous to ones health. I would like to see a simple, straight out stage with no gimmicks or hazards based on the Metroid series. This could possibly be the one (if Ridley is playable and not a stage hazard)

Kymnosk

Smash Cadet
NNID
MutedSound1111
I haven't seen this much debate since Wii Fit Trainer was confirmed (which imo is the best inclusion so far and better than ridley)

If Ridley gets confirmed there will be a lot of yay's and a lot of oh well
If Ridley doesn't get in there will be a lot of LOL's and a giant wall of salt that hasnt been seen since OCEAN beated m2k

DonkaFjord

Smash Lord
NNID
DonkaFjord
Ridley isn't flat out the most popular character in the west, maybe for hardcore nintendo fans or people on these forums he is. It is hard to judge who is especially when polls, etc. get misused so often in the community. Yet does that ensure someone will make it in? Not entirely but it helps. No amount of whining about it changes the fact the roster was finalized months ago and even if he doesn't appear (and bosses don't appear) a stage hazard would be better than nothing. Again it is out of our hands so just wait and see.

Competitive douche here, and I in no way feel as if Sakurai is catering to my preferred playstyle, and I'm sure a majority of people will agree. Sakurai has even said word for word that he wanted to make Brawl more accessible to new players.

He's said this game will find more of a middle ground, but in all honesty, the removal of techniques like l-cancelling and wavedashing caters to the casual crowd. You can include advanced techniques and have both crowds be content, but remove them and only one side is happy.
Some casuals (Not all) dislike advanced techniques (The only way casuals can be 'happy' is by playing with other casuals or be forced into them,) but we do not know if they will return in smash 4 or not. It'd be nice if it didn't cater to one side fully and smash 4 looks promising.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
Fair enough, but still Smash 4 will do fine with or without Ridley. Smash doesn't need Ridley. lol I actually think Ridley's chances skyrocketed with this update, but I think it will be fun if he's suddenly disconfirmed. Well ok, I'm done for the day, see ya tommorrow
I'm with you playable or not there are other characters to hope for in smash 4 I mean I can accept if Ridley is not playable again

D-idara

Banned via Administration
NNID
D-idara
3DS FC
4511-0670-4622
What's wrong with getting depressed over a videogame? Ridley not making it would be like your favorite artist dying, for example...you're allowed to feel miserable. If Ridley doesn't make it, the game will be around 10% lamer.

D-idara

NNID
D-idara
3DS FC
4511-0670-4622
It's funny seeing how people care too much about a videogame character

If Ridley's appearance makes you feel miserable you really need to reevaluate your life's priorities
Oh, and Curmudgeon, if Super Smash Bros. doesn't make you care too much, you're doing it wrong! Why would you need to reevaluate your life's priorities? If Ridley gets deconfirmed I'll probably be pissed at Sakurai and will insult him on his Facebook page or something, but I'll get over it in one or two days.

TumblrFamous

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-8429-6803-3691
Oh, and Curmudgeon, if Super Smash Bros. doesn't make you care too much, you're doing it wrong! Why would you need to reevaluate your life's priorities? If Ridley gets deconfirmed I'll probably be pissed at Sakurai and will insult him on his Facebook page or something, but I'll get over it in one or two days.
That's immature.

And he said that videogames should not be a number 1 priority. When really it shouldn't. Its alright to be excited and be disappointed.

What he's saying is to not be completely obsessed over a certain character that it dominates your life. If you obsess over a character than you will essentially be disappointed with the game. You said it yourself: the game itself would be lame if Ridley isn't it there. It is just a character.

EDIT: And quick thing. You're allowed to be pissed and miserable. But its like how, for example, guys at my school get overly emotional and angry at a sports game. Sure, it means you're passionate, but you get yourself worked up for something frivolous.

DakotaBonez

The Depraved Optimist
Anybody else super hyped for another photo of Luigi tomorrow!?!

Seriously if Sakurai doesn't follow this up with the Ridley reveal I'm gonna have a FU#@$NG
disappointment induced mental breakdown.

D-idara

NNID
D-idara
3DS FC
4511-0670-4622
That's immature.

And he said that videogames should not be a number 1 priority. When really it shouldn't. Its alright to be excited and be disappointed.

What he's saying is to not be completely obsessed over a certain character that it dominates your life. If you obsess over a character than you will essentially be disappointed with the game. You said it yourself: the game itself would be lame if Ridley isn't it there. It is just a character.

EDIT: And quick thing. You're allowed to be pissed and miserable. But its like how, for example, guys at my school get overly emotional and angry at a sports game. Sure, it means you're passionate, but you get yourself worked up for something frivolous.
Of course videogames are not a number 1 priority...but they're pretty high up in there. I'm not completely obsessed over Ridley...but not having Ridley for the third game now is like a terrible president winning 3 elections straight! It just doesn't make ANY sense...and it's just a character? Unlike what tourneywimps think, Super Smash Bros. is ALL about the characters that are featured in the game.

DonkaFjord

Smash Lord
NNID
DonkaFjord
Of course videogames are not a number 1 priority...but they're pretty high up in there. I'm not completely obsessed over Ridley...but not having Ridley for the third game now is like a terrible president winning 3 elections straight! It just doesn't make ANY sense...and it's just a character? Unlike what tourneywimps think, Super Smash Bros. is ALL about the characters that are featured in the game.
Smash is the combination of the characters and the franchises they came from mixed with fun gameplay. Its not like a lame puzzle game where each tile has the face of a character on it or something stupid like that, and I am a huge casual gamer and even I recognize that its a mixture of the two. Ridley is a great character to have in Smash and whether or not he makes it in has already been decided. I know it probably will piss people off if he doesn't make the cute (And piss others off if he does make it in) but really it is just a game and there is always next time. He will make it in eventually. Also it isn't like the terrible president thing- since we don't have too much of a say in the matter and he was not fighting for a spot/no one took his spot from him. Overall this stage could be very good in his favor if he doesn't appear as a hazard. Plus we haven't gotten a NEW newcomer yet since E3 have we?

TumblrFamous

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-8429-6803-3691
Well, yes, the characters are the basis of the games and tourneys and such, but the fact that it will ultimately ruin the game for you if Ridley isn't in is what is wrong. The game shouldn't just be based on that one character for you. You should be excited for the veterans and newcomers we didn't even think of. In all, the characters, stages, items, is making the game for me. But that's just personal preference.

And hey, maybe they're not even thinking of Ridley. Sakurai said it before that they really never thought about Ridley, even in Brawl. Maybe they'll make a change, maybe not. The point is is to not just be excited or disappointed with the game because of the one character's confirmation or deconfirmation. Look at Brawl. So many people were so angry when R.O.B. was announced because of the fact that it took spots for characters like Ridley or, back then, Geno. But we got used to him. Just like we got used to Wii Fit Trainer, like we'll get used to unexpected WTF characters. And hell, we might get over the fact that Ridley isn't in for the 4th ttime in a row.

Curmudgeon

Smash Ace
What's wrong with getting depressed over a videogame? Ridley not making it would be like your favorite artist dying, for example...you're allowed to feel miserable. If Ridley doesn't make it, the game will be around 10% lamer.

So... you really think Ridley not being playable at SSB4 = a REAL person dying?

Ok, now I'm really done here

D-idara

NNID
D-idara
3DS FC
4511-0670-4622
Well, yes, the characters are the basis of the games and tourneys and such, but the fact that it will ultimately ruin the game for you if Ridley isn't in is what is wrong. The game shouldn't just be based on that one character for you. You should be excited for the veterans and newcomers we didn't even think of. In all, the characters, stages, items, is making the game for me. But that's just personal preference.

And hey, maybe they're not even thinking of Ridley. Sakurai said it before that they really never thought about Ridley, even in Brawl. Maybe they'll make a change, maybe not. The point is is to not just be excited or disappointed with the game because of the one character's confirmation or deconfirmation. Look at Brawl. So many people were so angry when R.O.B. was announced because of the fact that it took spots for characters like Ridley or, back then, Geno. But we got used to him. Just like we got used to Wii Fit Trainer, like we'll get used to unexpected WTF characters. And hell, we might get over the fact that Ridley isn't in for the 4th ttime in a row.

R.O.B was an important part of Nintendo's history and Geno is absolutely irrelevant, unlike Ridley...Sakurai's not gonna ruin the game for me, the Villager's already there, so is MegaMan...but Ridley not making it could be the first of many stupid design choices, like not letting in Layton, Little Mac, the Miis or Sonic, or eliminating the story mode.

TumblrFamous

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-8429-6803-3691
So... you really think Ridley not being playable at SSB4 = a REAL person dying?

Ok, now I'm really done here
Yeah, thar was a pretty bad analogy. Think of it llike a favorite charcater on a TV show left. Sure, people will be upset, but when we see that there is a new character, we get excited. That's how i feel about Ridley.

Sure, ill be deeply upset if Ridley doesn't make it, but ill shrug it off. To me, its not that big a ddeal bebecause I know that Sakurai will put in other characters that will get ne so excited I forget about Ridley. I was a huge Ridley advocate pre-Brawl. Sure I was disappointed when he didn't make it, but I was in love with Diddy, Wario, and Toon Link so I really just forgot.

Groose

Smash Champion
There are two ways that this game can emotionally upset me:

A) Every character in the roster is replaced with Waluigi.

B) The game is cancelled.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
Good news everyone is starting to understand its a 50/50 split of being playable or stage hazard. and they are also understating that its not the end of the world if he fails to get in a forth time

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend

Doublepost

Don't worry about B as a matter of fact Mario kart 8 and super smash bros wii u might save the wii u

DonkaFjord

Smash Lord
NNID
DonkaFjord
R.O.B was an important part of Nintendo's history and Geno is absolutely irrelevant, unlike Ridley...Sakurai's not gonna ruin the game for me, the Villager's already there, so is MegaMan...but Ridley not making it could be the first of many stupid design choices, like not letting in Layton, Little Mac, the Miis or Sonic, or eliminating the story mode.
We don't know who else is in. Little Mac/Sonic/Others may be in. The story mode may be replaced by a better first person experience. It just won't be SSE-esque and it won't be heavily cutscene oriented.

TumblrFamous

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-8429-6803-3691
You kinda missed the point. People were so pissed that ROB got in and a character tthey WANTED didn't that it ultimately ruined the game for those people. That is not healthy.

And to be honest, you do seem that Ridley not being in the game will "be the first of many reasons" the game will be disappointing.

DonkaFjord

Smash Lord
NNID
DonkaFjord
Doublepost

Don't worry about B as a matter of fact Mario kart 8 and super smash bros wii u might save the wii u
Well Mario kart/Mario land/Mario &sonic at the olympic games should push a lot of consoles and save it and Smash would just add more incentive. (Before you laugh about mario and sonic- it moves more consoles than smash bros does (So does mario kart) Though smash still moves quite a few thats saying something.)

MopedOfJustice

Smash Lord
NNID
MopedOfJustice
Am I the only one who realizes that Gooey would be a better addition than Ridley (no joke).
Of course, it would be perfect if I could trounce Ridley with the long-tongued lady's blob, but Gooey is clearly a better choice.

Groose

Smash Champion
Hey, regardless, I'm pretty sure well see some form of Ridley soon. That's the most likely scenario.

You still have up to about a week. Usually, Sakurai-san likes to wait after revealing a new stage before revealing more info; just look at Pilotwings and Reset Bomb Forest.

...though Ridley is a special case...

Toxicroaker

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4184-2367-6702

Ok everyone on the roster is replaced with barbie. you are still happy. that is one sure trooper. :troll:

RelaxAlax

That Smash Guy
Why is everyone so adamant on making sure a bicycle brand get's into smash?
Does this mean Sakurai will put all the characters on bikes?

But seriously, dan't wait for that screenshot of Luigi on the Pilotwings stage tmo :D

soviet prince

I am the terror that flaps in the night
NNID
7066-9708-9591
characters are imp in this game and I dont see any other exciting characters that need to be added other then ridley and k rool. so if there not in I don't see much to look forward to character wise.

TumblrFamous

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-8429-6803-3691
I never said that characters weren't important. What's important is to not worry about just the characters. Specifically, the newcomers. Say if you're bent on someone being in the game so much and so hard that you absolutely know they're in. Ends up they're not. Since you subconsciously force yourself into thinking that the character is a shoe-in makes you so angry you're ultimately disappointed with sakurai and the game.

That is what is frivolous and stupid. Not the characters, but fawning over them is.

Groose

Smash Champion
This is kinda a disappointing reveal for several reasons, but the main one is that it's based on Metroid Other M. That game is just so awful; it is by far the worst game Nintendo has ever released.
Mah boi, King Harkinian and his dodongo-bombing, octorok eating CD-I cronies would like a word with you. At least Other M was playable. ...though I suppose Phillips is the one to blame for those games.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
I was ready for plenty Other M representation in this game.

Not that I care, I liked the game. Sure, one of the weakest in the franchise, but still enjoyable to me. (I consider it a spinoff, though).

DraginHikari

Emerald Star Legacy
NNID
Draginhikari
3DS FC
4940-5455-2427
Switch FC
SW-7120-1891-0342
Mah boi, King Harkinian and his dodongo-bombing, octorok eating CD-I cronies would like a word with you. At least Other M was playable. ...though I suppose Phillips is the one to blame for those games.
Nintendo had no involvement with the Philips games and it was mostly as a result of contractual agreements that let them do it. Actually I can't remember where but when asked about them, when a Nintendo representative was asked about it, they declined knowing they existed lol. Can't particularly blame them there.

jayeldeee

Smash Journeyman
FUUUUU, WHAT DID I START? Lol.

Why do I keep laughing at the fact that this wouldn't surprise me? I mean after all, IT'S WALUIGI.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom