• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Miiverse Daily Smash 4 Photos (Closed for its successor)

Status
Not open for further replies.

D-idara

Banned via Administration
NNID
D-idara
3DS FC
4511-0670-4622
LOL sorry...I'm just getting really nervous about Ridley...I mean, Sakurai knows he's like the second most-wanted character on Smash Bros. besides MegaMan, and MegaMan already made it in...he can't be so ignorant about fan backlash! Plus! This month is Metroid's birthday month...if Sakurai could just get off his lazy-ass and focus on the characters instead of catering to competitive douches, we could have all the characters in the world.

SpaceJell0

Smash Ace
NNID
SpaceJell0
3DS FC
0104-0342-5999
LOL sorry...I'm just getting really nervous about Ridley...I mean, Sakurai knows he's like the second most-wanted character on Smash Bros. besides MegaMan, and MegaMan already made it in...he can't be so ignorant about fan backlash! Plus! This month is Metroid's birthday month...if Sakurai could just get off his lazy-*** and focus on the characters instead of catering to competitive douches, we could have all the characters in the world.
It's Metroid's birthday month? That changes things I guess...

Dudemaster47

Smash Cadet
well, Ridley is confirmed to appear at least. The question is what is he going to be, and playable character or stage hazard seem most likely from today's update. Guess we'll just have to wait and see for what Sakurai has in store for us.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
LOL sorry...I'm just getting really nervous about Ridley...I mean, Sakurai knows he's like the second most-wanted character on Smash Bros. besides MegaMan, and MegaMan already made it in...he can't be so ignorant about fan backlash! Plus! This month is Metroid's birthday month...if Sakurai could just get off his lazy-*** and focus on the characters instead of catering to competitive douches, we could have all the characters in the world.
Truth be told, most of Ridley's fans are Western gamers. Ridley (and Metroid in general) has barely any presence in Japan and might not even be a blip on Sakurai's radar in the grand scheme of playable candidates. Regardless, we'll just have to see how this week plays out.

Jonny Westside

S4mus Fiend
NNID
Jonny-Westside
3DS FC
4098-3340-4061
Welp, I'm sure this has been said already so allow me to jump on the bandwagon...if my gut is correct, based on the information Sakurai has shared with the stage reveal I can safely assume that Ridley is definitely not going to be a playable character in Smash 4. I remember the scene from Other M where Samus turned into a 6 year old when Ridley appeared and so Sakurai is taking advantage of that and most likely turning Ridley into a stage hazard like the Yellow Devil in Dr Wily's Castle stage for Mega Man. That's all good but I seriously hope stage hazards can be turned off. Furthermore, no other Metroid based character is expected or hinted at in this Pic reveal so to againt repeat myself, RIDLEY IS CONFIRMED TO RETURN...ONLY AS PART OF A STAGE, BOSS, OR STAGE HAZARD.

ty.

I'd like it if ppl stopped making "ridley for smash 4" videos and threads.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Am really sorry for the Ridley fans. Honestly, after seeing the picture today I was 'ahaaa I was right, Other M Ridley it'll be!' but now... An enemy from Samus's past? Appearing on stage? Sometimes?

Sincerely, I'm feeling for your losses.

K.Rool might also be deconfirmed soon though. On a similar manner even (or WORSE, they add in a pirate ship from DKCR!). So yeah...

Luckily there still is Mewtwo. Don't lose hope for all popular choices yet people!

Hong

The Strongest
Ridley's head will be a hazard while the rest of his body is playable.

EDIT: See? he's not too big now.
That's a bit much to handle, yeah? Maybe his claws can be items and an assist trophy summons his tail.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
I'd like it if ppl stopped making "ridley for smash 4" videos and threads.
I'd also like it if people stopped jumping to conclusions immediately. The whole forum has pretty much already jumped on either side, I'm personally still in the middle.

DakotaBonez

The Depraved Optimist
Why the heck does every metroid stage have lava!?! Whatabout showing off the mushroomy place or an underwater area? And this stage doesn't even show off Metroid's blending of organic and tech, it's all a bunch of metal. No tech and no freaky mutant plants. I'm kinda dissapointed in the look of this stage, however the size and positioning of the platforms is perfect.
I looked it up on wikipedia and the pyrosphere is where samus fights a lava monster... however there is a second lava world (or maybe ya backtrack to the pyrosphere later) where ya fight Ridley. Anyone play through other m here to clarify this? Man I guess lava really is a big deal in metroid.
Anyway here's Ridley fighting in a smash bros fan game to get us unecessarily hyped...

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
I looked it up on wikipedia and the pyrosphere is where samus fights a lava monster... however there is a second lava world (or maybe ya backtrack to the pyrosphere later) where ya fight Ridley. Anyone play through other m here to clarify this? Man I guess lava really is a big deal in metroid.
The pyrosphere is a big zone in general, and much earlier in the zone do you fight the lava monster, but the place the stage takes place is exactly where you fight Ridley.

Accf124

Smash Journeyman
Why do people hate Other M so much. The way I see it people hate it because it was different from the other games in the series. I do agree that it isn't the best but it's pretty good. I was a bit displeased mostly because I expected to travel planet to planet doing missions and such. Yes Samus was shown in bit different personality but her battling style seemed more dynamic and made up for it. I wanna hear your guys opinions on why you think Other M is bad.

D

Deleted member

Truth be told, most of Ridley's fans are Western gamers. Ridley (and Metroid in general) has barely any presence in Japan and might not even be a blip on Sakurai's radar in the grand scheme of playable candidates. Regardless, we'll just have to see how this week plays out.
I think Little Mac's inevitable inclusion will show that Sakurai does look outside of Japan for potential characters (especially since Japan request less characters in general than the West). At the very least I do think Ridley has been given a serious look by Sakurai in regards to whenever or not he should be playable. I don't think Sakurai will go through the entire game not even thinking about making Ridley playable.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Why do people hate Other M so much. The way I see it people hate it because it was different from the other games in the series. I do agree that it isn't the best but it's pretty good. I was a bit displeased mostly because I expected to travel planet to planet doing missions and such. Yes Samus was shown in bit different personality but her battling style seemed more dynamic and made up for it. I wanna hear your guys opinions on why you think Other M is bad.
Honestly, the majority of it lies in the story and how it was told. The story was flawed in so many ways, and there wasn't a proper explanation to many things (Why did Adam just shoot Samus? Who was the Deleter?) The story in itself wasn't very fetching to begin with, but the way it was told made is so much worse.

I also have some minor problems other than that, like how each zone felt incredibly boring and basic, and the lacking soundtrack compared to past Metroid titles. Then there's also nitpicky details like how Nightmare looked like a duck and wasn't half as creepy as he used to because of that and his odd fighting style. Plus the random Phantoon cameo at the end made no sense and wasn't necessary.

It did have some good things though, the gameplay wasn't half bad, and I was a big fan of the Metroid Queen coming back. Other than that though, I consider it the second worst title in the series, only ahead of Prime Hunters.

DonkaFjord

Smash Lord
NNID
DonkaFjord
I think Little Mac's inevitable inclusion will show that Sakurai does look outside of Japan for potential characters (especially since Japan request less characters in general than the West). At the very least I do think Ridley has been given a serious look by Sakurai in regards to whenever or not he should be playable. I don't think Sakurai will go through the entire game not even thinking about making Ridley playable.
Sonic and R.O.B. were added to appease the western side of the fandom... So he does listen...kind of. Ridley made boss status/Lil Mac/Isaac made assists for the same reason.

DarkShadow20

Smash Ace
I went back and looked at all of the daily pics, and since Olimar was revealed we've been getting something new pretty frequently, and for the past 3 weeks we've gotten something new every week.

July 12th- Olimar/Pikmin stage
July 23rd- Kid Icarus stage
August 6th- Pilotwings stage
August 7th- Luigi
August 16th- X-Bomb item
August 20th- Metroid stage

So if this trend continues and we get something new every week and let's say the game comes out Dec 2014, that's about 60 weeks. The amount of stages in both games alone could probably fill in that amount.

DakotaBonez

The Depraved Optimist
I think all Metroid games are bad in some way or another XD
I mean little things ruined the games for me. Like the lack of strafing in Metroid Prime and the 2D games don't have jumpthrough platforms (although those are awkward to program so I won't hold it against them) the ******** walljumping and you have to fumble around bombing every wall with no indication that you must do so to progress.
However Super Metroid blew me away as I realized the many ways you could tackle a situation and skip parts altogether, truly a masterpiece in game design. Plus at least that game gave ya an x ray so you could know which areas were bombable. And the level design is the big deal with metroid games, by the end you are a god with near infinite health and enough firepower to take out a continent, and you can dash between areas with ease and take advantage of shortcuts. You really get a feeling of accomplishment like no other game out there can give, just because of how many ways you can tackle a situation. Run through the lava or time your jumps around it, wall jump or get a running start and time it... etc... Whenever I dream up a game it always ends up playing like metroid, minus the frustrating bits.

D

Deleted member

Sonic and R.O.B. were added to appease the western side of the fandom... So he does listen...kind of. Ridley made boss status/Lil Mac/Isaac made assists for the same reason.
I do recall Sakurai noting Sonic's strong Western popularity when mentioning he was the most wanted character, but he also noted that he topped the poll in Japan as well, so he had international popularity. I'm just saying that Little Mac's inevitable inclusion will show that a character can be popular in the West but not in Japan and still get in.

DonkaFjord

Smash Lord
NNID
DonkaFjord
I do recall Sakurai noting Sonic's strong Western popularity when mentioning he was the most wanted character, but he also noted that he topped the poll in Japan as well, so he had international popularity. I'm just saying that Little Mac's inevitable inclusion will show that a character can be popular in the West but not in Japan and still get in.
Lil Mac has gotten some acknowledgement in Japan. He was in Captain Rainbow (Though that game didn't sell too well) and the punch out wii game was released over there I think.) Plus him as an assist also helped people learn about him so he is more likely now than before. Also we know how Sakurai loves retro characters.

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
Sakurai has no choice but to make Ridley a playable character now or else he runs the risk of getting assassinated by rabid Ridley fans.

I don't think those guys can take anymore torture.

But regardless that stage looks beauuuuuuutyyyyyyyyyyyyyful.

D-idara

NNID
D-idara
3DS FC
4511-0670-4622
Honestly, the majority of it lies in the story and how it was told. The story was flawed in so many ways, and there wasn't a proper explanation to many things (Why did Adam just shoot Samus? Who was the Deleter?) The story in itself wasn't very fetching to begin with, but the way it was told made is so much worse.

I also have some minor problems other than that, like how each zone felt incredibly boring and basic, and the lacking soundtrack compared to past Metroid titles. Then there's also nitpicky details like how Nightmare looked like a duck and wasn't half as creepy as he used to because of that and his odd fighting style. Plus the random Phantoon cameo at the end made no sense and wasn't necessary.

It did have some good things though, the gameplay wasn't half bad, and I was a big fan of the Metroid Queen coming back. Other than that though, I consider it the second worst title in the series, only ahead of Prime Hunters.

And there I thought you were a true Metroid fan...Hunters was an amazing game.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
And there I thought you were a true Metroid fan...Hunters was an amazing game.
The content wasn't the problem, it was just completely uncontrollable because it was put on the DS. The DS is an amazing system, but it can't handle first person Metroid controls since you have to use that stupid stylus for it. I had such a hard time controlling it, it felt like I was carrying a bottle of milk, a fish, two chickens all while trying to open a door with a key with one hand, I've tried time and time again, but it's just uncontrollable.

D-idara

NNID
D-idara
3DS FC
4511-0670-4622
The content wasn't the problem, it was just completely uncontrollable because it was put on the DS. The DS is an amazing system, but it can't handle first person Metroid controls since you have to use that stupid stylus for it. I had such a hard time controlling it, it felt like I was carrying a bottle of milk, a fish, two chickens all while trying to open a door with a key with one hand, I've tried time and time again, but it's just uncontrollable.

Weird, I felt like Hunters' controls were amazing, the stylus gives you a degree of precision that isn't found on other games. But anyway...I still have my hopes up for Ridley as a playable character on SSBWiiU/3DS!

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Weird, I felt like Hunters' controls were amazing, the stylus gives you a degree of precision that isn't found on other games. But anyway...I still have my hopes up for Ridley as a playable character on SSBWiiU/3DS!
It's probably because my hands are pretty big, which is also why I'm getting a 3DS XL rather than a normal one. Either way, I'm still a firm believer that Ridley still has a big chance.

jayeldeee

Smash Journeyman
So guiez, Taizo Hori should make an appearance. He'll be Namco's representative. No? Okay, cool.

DonkaFjord

Smash Lord
NNID
DonkaFjord
So guiez, Taizo Hori should make an appearance. He'll be Namco's representative. No? Okay, cool.
Judging on the other 3 third part reps I would say Pacman is the only one who truly has a chance. I mean is Namco even deserving of a rep? If they are would anyone get in other than pacman? I mean Snake, Sonic, and Megaman all are very iconic and recognizable to a large amount of people and they also are their companies mascot. I know, I know Lloyd Irving started on the gamecube. But that is sort of like saying Billy Hatcher should get in over sonic for sega.

MasteRMerF

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MasteRMerF
3DS FC
5000-2607-1297
That'll be something if Ridley isn't a playable character or a stage hazard, and the whole "An enemy from Samus's past may appear at any second..." is just a nod to there being an enemy here in Other M. And by "something" I mean undesired.

jayeldeee

Smash Journeyman
Judging on the other 3 third part reps I would say Pacman is the only one who truly has a chance. I mean is Namco even deserving of a rep? If they are would anyone get in other than pacman? I mean Snake, Sonic, and Megaman all are very iconic and recognizable to a large amount of people and they also are their companies mascot. I know, I know Lloyd Irving started on the gamecube. But that is sort of like saying Billy Hatcher should get in over sonic for sega.
It was a joke to lighten up from the Ridley explosion. I know Taizo Hori won't make an appearance and Puck Man is on top of the list if Namco does have a representative.

DonkaFjord

Smash Lord
NNID
DonkaFjord
It was a joke to lighten up from the Ridley explosion. I know Taizo Hori won't make an appearance and Puck Man is on top of the list if Namco does have a representative.
I wasn't sure but I was guessing that after I replied. People seem tense. It'd be pretty terrible if they scale down ridley....and make him a stage hazard.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom