• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Miiverse Daily Smash 4 Photos (Closed for its successor)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Amazing Ampharos

Balanced Brawl Designer
Writing Team
That "Toon Link" is a stage object.

Also, this is perhaps the least interesting picture so far. It doesn't give us a good look at the characters or the stage.

D

Deleted member

Well just hang the heck on here one moment. NO character would be decided upon right before release eh?

Wasn't Ness literally only in melee because Mother 3 got delayed last minute?

Sakurai:
  • 実は当初、MOTHER3の主人公に変更する予定でしたが、いろいろあって遠回りしながら、元のさやに収まりました。
  • ("Actually, at first, I planned to change him [Ness] into the protagonist of MOTHER 3 [Lucas], but for various reasons during the delay, I settled back on the original idea.")
Ness wasn't added to the game "right before release", though.
Sakurai's INITIAL PLAN may have been to replace Ness with Lucas, but quite obviously, the plan didn't go through.
Also, check the damn dates;
Melee was shown off to the public at E3 2001, which is in July. Melee was released in Japan on November 11th of that year.
Ness was shown at E3 when the game was shown off. That's ****ing four months before release. And not only that, but to be able to have been shown off at E3 to begin with, he had to have been worked on even earlier.
Even moreso than that, Earthbound 64 was cancelled on August 21, 2000. Which means, if Sakurai decided to do away with his initial plan, that date would have been the earliest to do so, which is more than a year before Melee's release.
Also fun fact about Dedede: (Taken from smash bros wiki)

King Dedede only reappeared in the Dream Land stage once again, and also making another appearance as a trophy. Once again, he was planned to be a playable character, but was cut because of time restraints (the same reason that kept him out of SSB64).
Which Smash Wiki is that? The bad one that keeps all sorts of rumors without actual proof?
Use THIS Wiki: http://www.ssbwiki.com/King_Dedede
Note how nowhere does it say he was planned for Melee and cut due to time. Because it's bull****.
The other Wiki is a cesspool of mediocrity.

You also say: Ganondorf was chosen as a clone due to his popularity and because Sakurai couldn't think of any other ideas for a clone by the time Ganondorf was decided upon (he was the last character made and is said to have been "lucky" to be in.) This means he didn't even consider Black Shadow for the spot.-Ganondorf was chosen as a clone due to his popularity and because Sakurai couldn't think of any other ideas for a clone by the time Ganondorf was decided upon (he was the last character made and is said to have been "lucky" to be in.) This means he didn't even consider Black Shadow for the spot.

I tried to google this information, and could not find it anywhere that Ganondorf was the last char made and lucky to be in. Could you please provide a link to where you found this info?
Sorry to drag this on further, but the "lucky" bit probably came from the Melee dojo, and the part about Ganon being last is from a supposed 2002 interview from Famitsu.
Toise provided the goods.

ガノンドロフはラッキーなキャラでした。
実はスマブラに登場させる予定はなかったのですが、都合の良い要件がいろいろとあったために参戦が決まりました。
(モデルの提供を受けられていたとか、特徴がはっきりとしていたとか、身体のバランスがキャプテンファルコンと同程度だとか、なにより人気が高かったとか)

[Ganondorf was lucky character.
Actually I did not plan to be appeared in Smash Bros., but the war was decided on because there was a lot requirements convenient.
(Such had been received to provide a model, such as was clearly features, such as it is comparable to Captain Falcon, such as popularity was high above all the balance of the body)]

"Ganondorf was the last character added to the game. He was only included because he was popular, had a similar body type to Captain Falcon, and because Sakurai couldn't really think of any additional plausible clones."

Sunnysunny

Blue-nubis
Premium
Ha.
So that explains why MAN-ondorf was just a clone in melee...
Never knew.

While it's disappointing were only getting snapshots, I feel like were about due for some new reveals very soon.
Fingers crossed.

PlayerOneTyler

Sr. Community Manager, Smashboards Editor / Social
Seriously, guys, take your conversation somewhere where it's relevant.

Anyways, first post updated. Not really a great picture. I'm not a fan of the Spirit Tracks stage anyways (mainly because of the wall that hides you in the train).

D

Deleted member

So guys who do you think will be the first character revealed by these daily pictures?

I'm going to have to go with Yoshi.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Do you think returning characters will also have their own trailers? Or will they simply be added to the website?

I'm sure that the daily pics will feature newly revealed characters at the same time they're confirmed on the site itself.

As I see, the pictures won't reveal characters, but the pictures will feature newly confirmed characters as they get their own page on the site. Get my point?

bobadz

Smash Ace
The only way I think the first character will be confirmed on the site, will be after he gets done showing all the confirmed characters and stages.

The other is aNintendo Direct, but I feel that'll just be for newcomers.

D

Deleted member

Well, you cited a dude who said Dedede was planned for Melee just after saying he wasn't. Here's your medallion: [M]
Cednym never said Dedede was planned.
He said that Sakurai had ideas for Dedede as a backup in case he couldn't get permission from IS to use Marth.

RomanceDawn

Smash Lord
NNID
Romancedawn
3DS FC
0044-2811-9045
Long before the reveal many people complained that the board would be flooded with the uninformed posts of new members. I thought they were exaggerating.

I don't think Toon Link being in the back ground means much as far as his actual chances. Though it very well could mean Sakurai is leaving him behind for another Zelda rep and that is just his tribute to him.

Vaztor

BRoomer
BRoomer
Hint: The comments are below the OPs.

Wait... where do you see these comments?

All I ever see is "Pic of the Day" and a flood of Miiverse comments. Be a bit more specific

EDIT: Oh wait I see it now. So he's not doing it on every post.

Ray Robo

Smash Ace
NNID
RayRobo
Long before the reveal many people complained that the board would be flooded with the uninformed posts of new members. I thought they were exaggerating.

I don't think Toon Link being in the back ground means much as far as his actual chances. Though it very well could mean Sakurai is leaving him behind for another Zelda rep and that is just his tribute to him.
I agree. I would think making Toon Link being a part of the stage reduces his chances if not even de-confirms him for smash 4.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
*sigh* This is going to be a looooong wait... =_=

I really wish Sakurai never showed that Spirit Track's stage and instead made it an unlockable stage or something...

Lightosia

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Light0sia
Actually there are 3 characters in this picture, not counting Toon Link.
Someone small enough that we can't see in the camera from this angle.

It is
Pichu

PlayerOneTyler

Sr. Community Manager, Smashboards Editor / Social
First post updated. I'm starting to like Villager a lot more since I bought New Leaf last week. It's the first Animal Crossing game I've really gotten into, and I'm kind of obsessed with it.

Zonderion

Smash Ace
NNID
Zonderion
It will be interesting to see how well the villager plays. I've never played any of his games. I will consider it.

Artsy Omni

Smashified Creator
NNID
artsyomni
First post updated. I'm starting to like Villager a lot more since I bought New Leaf last week. It's the first Animal Crossing game I've really gotten into, and I'm kind of obsessed with it.
One does not simply have a passing interest in Animal Crossing. It's either you don't play it or you're addicted to it. XP

I'm very much looking forward to taking Villager for a spin. He looks like fun times. Also, looks tricky to use.

Seems like Skyloft is ripped straight out of SS, which leaves a bit to be desired as far as model detail is concerned...

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
Pretty details and looks. I'm eager to see what parts of the stage we'll be able to play on as well since there was brief footage of it looking like a Delfino replica.

Erimir

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3823-8583-9137
These pics are from a game still in development.

The character models seem pretty polished, but who knows whether they'll be touching up any graphics before launch. Backgrounds seem like the kind of thing that they could just copy quick and dirty with the intention to change it later.

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
I think it'd be cool if they combined both Delfino and Castle Siege together, with you flying around the island until you wind up at the Goddess Statue, at which point it sinks down to the Sealed Grounds (flying around with all those air currents) before eventually resetting back at the top.

It probably wouldn't happen, and if it did it would condemn the stage to being "Temple" levels of big/"bad" but meh. I'd still like it.

Curmudgeon

Smash Ace
Pretty details and looks. I'm eager to see what parts of the stage we'll be able to play on as well since there was brief footage of it looking like a Delfino replica.

A guy on tumblr has been taking note of the playable parts of Skyloft.

http://ssb4dojo.tumblr.com/tagged/skyloft
Also judging by today's picture it appears we'll be able to play on the Statue of the Goddess

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Yep, it really seems that you'll be able to fight on top of the Goddess Statue, given it has been changed a little bit from the original one.

[collapse="Picture for comparison"]
[/collapse]

This stage really is Delfino Plaza 2.0... I'm even drawing a parallel between Delfino Plaza's Shine Gate and Skyloft's Goddess Statue.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Now all we need is Professor Layton's ST. Mystere and we will have our threesome of Delfine Plaza type stages....:bee:

I'm really looking forward to play on that Skyloft Stage as Delfino Plaza was one of my favourite stages so I'm happy to see another stage like that. :)

D

Deleted member

Just look at him, he's handsome. Handsome Squidward Sword Link is a strong independent man who don't need no Squidward Fi.
Excuse me while I write out the details of the future lawsuit for my murder, since you're making me die of laughter.

Chiroz

Tier Lists? Foolish...
NNID
Zykrex
I don't want to get into the argument and I do not believe in the Black Shadow theory but...

The process of creating a character is divided between many groups, 1 group does not do all the work. You have a group designing the character, another coding it, another animating it, etc. The point is most of these teams can work concurrently even on different characters if they so desire.

The point I want you to remember is that Melee had 26 characters, yet it was only in developmemt for 13 months. They also had to code the engine, design and create all of the single player modes and all of the stages. They had to go through a debug and also through balancing tests.

Assuming all of that took the barest minimum time it leaves less than 10 months to create 26 characters. About 42-46 weeks or 1.6 weeks per character. I do not believe the Black Shadow theory is true, but it does take less than 2 weeks for a character to be created, and thus the theory could technically be possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom