• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Miiverse Daily Smash 4 Photos (Closed for its successor)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChozoBoy

Smash Apprentice
OP, you should include Sakurai's comments too. I know he's commented in at least one of his posts, where he confirmed turnips for the Villager.

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
I've moved this thread to the Super Smash Bros. U General Discussion forum. If you want to cover 3DS screenshots as well, make a new thread in the Super Smash Bros. 3D General Discussion forum.

Basically, this thread would be for the Wii U screenshots only.
What's the point of having two different threads for the same topic?

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
What's the point of having two different threads for the same topic?
Originally, the thought was to have one thread for 3DS screenshots, while the other has Wii U screenshots. But apparently that input seems pretty pointless if Sakurai is mostly covering the Wii U title.

Mr.Showtime

Smash Ace
Black Shadow + Fawful joining would be a pleasant surpirse. Besides, I have a theory that black shadow was supposed to be in melee.

Take a look at the roster below, notice anything out of place?

Every single series has all the playable characters lined up in a row, except the Zelda series. Ganondorf just happens to be a clone of Captain Falcon and has dark looking moves that easily could've been a black shadow moveset. I think that nearing the last few days before they released melee, they realized that the game had 1 villan (bowser) and decided to put in another. The team came up with Ganondorf, Dedede, and Black Shadow, and Black Shadow won the vote because they already had 3 other Zelda reps at that point. Dedede was canned one again due to there being too little time to develop another full moveset. Somewhere along the line, someone must've said that the Zelda franchise was better selling, and Ganondorf was more recognizable by people so they just reskined Black Shadow with Ganondorfs model, and never bothered to change his position on the roster.

Furthermore all clones in melee, are clones of someone else in there respective series.

Pichu = Pikachu
Roy = Marth
Luigi + Dr. Mario = Mario (If you would even call Luigi a clone)
Falco = Fox
Young Link = Link
Ganondorf is the only exception to this, being a clone of Captain Falcon, who is from another series.

This is just a theory however, so don't take it to heart.

Wow....these are one of those theories that I honestly could believe. Thank you for sharing this!

D

Deleted member

No problem. Speaking of Black Shadow, you'd think they'd release a new F-Zero game by now... Captain Flacon is a popular internet meme, the game sold well, played well, and even had multiplayer to boot. I guess they dont want my money.

GunBlaze

Smash Lord
Slippi.gg
GBLZ#778
Black Shadow + Fawful joining would be a pleasant surpirse. Besides, I have a theory that black shadow was supposed to be in melee.

Every single series has all the playable characters lined up in a row, except the Zelda series. Ganondorf just happens to be a clone of Captain Falcon and has dark looking moves that easily could've been a black shadow moveset. I think that nearing the last few days before they released melee, they realized that the game had 1 villan (bowser) and decided to put in another. The team came up with Ganondorf, Dedede, and Black Shadow, and Black Shadow won the vote because they already had 3 other Zelda reps at that point. Dedede was canned one again due to there being too little time to develop another full moveset. Somewhere along the line, someone must've said that the Zelda franchise was better selling, and Ganondorf was more recognizable by people so they just reskined Black Shadow with Ganondorfs model, and never bothered to change his position on the roster.

Furthermore all clones in melee, are clones of someone else in there respective series.

Pichu = Pikachu
Roy = Marth
Falco = Fox
Young Link = Link
Ganondorf is the only exception to this, being a clone of Captain Falcon, who is from another series.

Dat ****'s pretty accurate, and it would make sense.

PlayerOneTyler

Sr. Community Manager, Smashboards Editor / Social
OP, you should include Sakurai's comments too. I know he's commented in at least one of his posts, where he confirmed turnips for the Villager.
I do include the quotes. I don't know what you're talking about. I just looked through every single one of his posts on the Director's Board, and there's nothing about the Villager having some kind of turnip-based move.

bobadz

Smash Ace
You know, maybe it's because of my experiance with the Brawl dojo, but for some reason I'm not dissapointed by these photos.

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
It helps to consider the fact that Sakurai's taking time out of his schedule (lunch break, specifically) to give us ANY updates at all. 'specially this early.

GamerGuy09

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-3742-4712-6319
Even though these updates are reliable and neat....they are really uninteresting. Atleast give us a picture of mario throwing a item....

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Okay, so another picture of the villager. Let's see what new meme pictures come out of it.

Krynxe

I can't pronounce it either
3DS FC
4511-0472-1729
stickied

thanks for keeping users without Wii U's caught up and keeping things very nicely organized

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
In case it helps, you can browse Miiverse on a computer, by going to miiverse.nintendo.com

That's basically all of Miiverse, but you can't add friends or draw. You can however see everyone's posts including Sakurai's.

Luigi player

Smash Master
In case it helps, you can browse Miiverse on a computer, by going to miiverse.nintendo.com

That's basically all of Miiverse, but you can't add friends or draw. You can however see everyone's posts including Sakurai's.
Jon
PLEASE LET US BE OUR MII'S IN SMASH BROS, IT WOULD BE AWSOME
I'm not sure if I want to read that stuff....

D

Deleted member

Pichu = Pikachu
Roy = Marth
Falco = Fox
Young Link = Link

Theory does not work;
-Clones were added late in development as a means to increase the roster. The 19 non-clones were the initial roster. This means Ganondorf, Dedede, and Black Shadow were not being debated upon.
-Ganondorf was chosen as a clone due to his popularity and because Sakurai couldn't think of any other ideas for a clone by the time Ganondorf was decided upon (he was the last character made and is said to have been "lucky" to be in.) This means he didn't even consider Black Shadow for the spot.
-Development of a character (even a clone) takes more than "just a few days before release". NO character would be decided upon right before release.

Theory is completely illogical.

Demna

Smash Lord
3DS FC
1478-4225-1103
Theory does not work;
-Clones were added late in development as a means to increase the roster. The 19 non-clones were the initial roster. This means Ganondorf, Dedede, and Black Shadow were not being debated upon.
-Ganondorf was chosen as a clone due to his popularity and because Sakurai couldn't think of any other ideas for a clone by the time Ganondorf was decided upon (he was the last character made and is said to have been "lucky" to be in.) This means he didn't even consider Black Shadow for the spot.
-Development of a character (even a clone) takes more than "just a few days before release". NO character would be decided upon right before release.

They could have developed a character/clone weeks before the release. Plus, do you have solid proof that no game developer(s) decided upon a character right before the game's release?

D

Deleted member

They could have developed a character/clone weeks before the release. Plus, do you have solid proof that no game developer(s) decided upon a character right before the game's release?
....Seriously?
Are you really that foolish to believe that a character can be made *snaps fingers* just like that?

I don't need solid proof for common sense. You have a brain; use it.

Demna

Smash Lord
3DS FC
1478-4225-1103
....Seriously?
Are you really that foolish to believe that a character can be made *snaps fingers* just like that?

I don't need solid proof for common sense. You have a brain; use it.
Insult as a counter-argument, seems legit :grin:. Seriously speaking though, I never said it could be made instantly. My definition of "right before a game's release" is 2-4 weeks before it's release, which is enough to create a clone character (an original character would be harder though).

Ray Robo

Smash Ace
NNID
RayRobo
I hope Sakurai would give us silhouettes of the newcomers sometime soon. The pictures are good updates, but not really anything to be excited about.

D

Deleted member

Theory does not work;

Well just hang the heck on here one moment. NO character would be decided upon right before release eh?

Wasn't Ness literally only in melee because Mother 3 got delayed last minute?

Sakurai:
  • 実は当初、MOTHER3の主人公に変更する予定でしたが、いろいろあって遠回りしながら、元のさやに収まりました。
  • ("Actually, at first, I planned to change him [Ness] into the protagonist of MOTHER 3 [Lucas], but for various reasons during the delay, I settled back on the original idea.")
Also fun fact about Dedede: (Taken from smash bros wiki)

King Dedede only reappeared in the Dream Land stage once again, and also making another appearance as a trophy. Once again, he was planned to be a playable character, but was cut because of time restraints (the same reason that kept him out of SSB64).

You also say: Ganondorf was chosen as a clone due to his popularity and because Sakurai couldn't think of any other ideas for a clone by the time Ganondorf was decided upon (he was the last character made and is said to have been "lucky" to be in.) This means he didn't even consider Black Shadow for the spot.-Ganondorf was chosen as a clone due to his popularity and because Sakurai couldn't think of any other ideas for a clone by the time Ganondorf was decided upon (he was the last character made and is said to have been "lucky" to be in.) This means he didn't even consider Black Shadow for the spot.

I tried to google this information, and could not find it anywhere that Ganondorf was the last char made and lucky to be in. Could you please provide a link to where you found this info?

D

Deleted member

Insult as a counter-argument, seems legit :grin:. Seriously speaking though, I never said it could be made instantly. My definition of "right before a game's release" is 2-4 weeks before it's release, which is enough to create a clone character (an original character would be harder though).
-Model design
-animations
-hitboxes
-attack data
-balancing
-testing
etc.

All of those take time. And that's not considering everything else that has to be done for characters and how to work them around everything else.
Clones may take less time because some data can be ported and tweaked from their original counterparts, but they still take time.
A smart developer wouldn't be punching the clock just a few weeks before the entire release of the game (since there's a crapton more to make sure is working right other than just characters) for a singular character.

It would be at MINIMUM a month, not 2 weeks or even a few days like the one I initially responded to said.

Demna

Smash Lord
3DS FC
1478-4225-1103
-Model design
-animations
-hitboxes
-attack data
-balancing
-testing
etc.

All of those take time. And that's not considering everything else that has to be done for characters and how to work them around everything else.
Clones may take less time because some data can be ported and tweaked from their original counterparts, but they still take time.
A smart developer wouldn't be punching the clock just a few weeks before the entire release of the game (since there's a crapton more to make sure is working right other than just characters) for a singular character.

It would be at MINIMUM a month, not 2 weeks or even a few days like the one I initially responded to said.
It is hard to create a clone in 2-4 weeks before the game's release. However, it is not impossible to create a clone with all the things you listed above. It may take some developers a couple of months to create a clone, I concur. But if extra efforts were spent, it's possible to create a clone in 2-4 weeks (if the game was ultimately complete leaving only that clone left to be designed).

D

Deleted member

Problem is, Melee was not just waiting on Ganondorf (the last clone).
And even then, a clone like Ganondorf requires more effort than the others.

D

Deleted member

Lol where is this info coming from? Where does it say Ganondorf was the last clone? All joking aside, if you actually have a source, add it to the smash wiki page; this is valuable information.

D

Deleted member

My source is Melee's Debug Menu.
The non-clones in the character data are in alphabetical order, but the clones are in a completely random order.
-Falco
-Young Link
-Dr. Mario
-Roy
-Pichu
-Ganondorf

Given that the clones were added late in development, this implies that they were added in this order.
With Sakurai's comment on Ganondorf being "lucky" on his page on Melee's Japanese website, it makes it very clear that Ganondorf was picked last.

PlayerOneTyler

Sr. Community Manager, Smashboards Editor / Social

Nope, you can only see the Director's Board if you have a Miiverse account (which requires a WiiU). I just tried. You get a "Miiverse Sampler", which has a few communities like NSMBU, Nintendoland, and the E3 communities.

D

Deleted member

Well, I did say "This is just a theory however, so don't take it to heart." I still find it strange though that ganon is not a clone of one of his own series, and not even in line with them on the roster slot, while every other character follows this rule.

Kinda reminds me of when pluto was booted from being a real planet.

Also apologies to iDown, I didn't mean to derail your thread with my theories. Keep up the good work!

Krynxe

I can't pronounce it either
3DS FC
4511-0472-1729
It doesn't take over a month to create one character, let alone a clone...

If that's the case, brawl would have been in development for 3 years just for characters. That doesn't even begin to scratch all the other content in the game, developed in a much shorter time.

The most arduous part about adding a new character is all the legal work and confirmations that goes in before hand, followed by the modeling/animations process.

D

Deleted member

It doesn't take over a month to create one character, let alone a clone...

If that's the case, brawl would have been in development for 3 years just for characters. That doesn't even begin to scratch all the other content in the game, developed in a much shorter time.

The most arduous part about adding a new character is all the legal work and confirmations that goes in before hand, followed by the modeling/animations process.
You'd be surprised how long it really takes.
There are some cases where it is easier, such as clones and especially simplistic characters like Mr. Game & Watch and Jigglypuff.
Though Brawl as an example doesn't really work; it would have taken approx. 3 years if characters were done one at a time by one person, but that's not the case. Brawl had a large development team, and it's a pretty safe bet character development was divided among certain people.

And even if I am wrong and development for characters is relatively faster, that still doesn't make the previously stated theory any more plausible.

soviet prince

I am the terror that flaps in the night
Premium
NNID
7066-9708-9591
man I miss the daily updates these pics just dont get the heart pumping like the dojo did

ToiseOfChoice

Smash Ace
Lol where is this info coming from? Where does it say Ganondorf was the last clone? All joking aside, if you actually have a source, add it to the smash wiki page; this is valuable information.
Sorry to drag this on further, but the "lucky" bit probably came from the Melee dojo, and the part about Ganon being last is from a supposed 2002 interview from Famitsu.

All that aside, Black Shadow was still a background dude compared to Falcon/Goroh/etc. before GX (despite his backstory), so there's no way Sakurai would've seriously considered him back in 2000-2001.

ChozoBoy

Smash Apprentice
The only thing he has been saying is: New pic of the day.

Do you really need a comment saying that Villager has joined Smash? I'm sure everyone and their mother's (and maybe their neighbors) know it by now.
Hint: The comments are below the OPs.

Sakurai said:
Axe? Bug-catching net? Slingshot? Turnips?

Yes he can! Don't let his cute looks decieve you. He knows it and will use it to his advantage.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom