• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Miiverse Daily Smash 4 Photos (Closed for its successor)

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheWhiteBowser

Smash Ace
I remember when I was brawling with my friend SSBB name: HypR or bSide (because he changed it) We were both having some great brawls. I beat him a few times, he beat me a few times, and then he whipped out an Olimar against my Lucario and 5-stocked me in a 5-stock match. It was terrible how bad that loss was maybe I was off my game that match but damn Olimar is top tier for a reason. If they put him in SSB4 they have to nerf his grab, that's obvious. In fact the biggest reason why Olimar is so deadly is because of his grab.

Mr.Showtime

Smash Ace
I remember when I was brawling with my friend SSBB name: HypR or bSide (because he changed it) We were both having some great brawls. I beat him a few times, he beat me a few times, and then he whipped out an Olimar against my Lucario and 5-stocked me in a 5-stock match. It was terrible how bad that loss was maybe I was off my game that match but damn Olimar is top tier for a reason. If they put him in SSB4 they have to nerf his grab, that's obvious. In fact the biggest reason why Olimar is so deadly is because of his grab.

His grab is pretty much as long as Link's, Samus's, and Yoshi's grab at like 7x speed with quick recovery from using it. Meaning you can't punish him for missing a grab easily (especially since its ranged).

Amazing Ampharos

Balanced Brawl Designer
Writing Team
Still no reason to believe Olimar is getting the pikmin count nerf, pretty illogical to assume.

As per his grab, well, that's kinda his character defining advantage. It's the best grab in the game by far sure, but think about it in context. Olimar has a pretty terrible air game, and he's one of the single most vulnerable characters off-stage. In general his options at super close range are worse than everyone else's, and he has to play an extra resource management game that no one else does. He's overall a very good character, but he has some very real downsides associated with him too. If he didn't have the oppressive spatial control and the option of that grab, he'd just be garbage. Hopefully he gets some tweaks to make him a bit less polarizing (let him deal with stages like Brinstar, let characters like Bowser deal with him), but all in all I'd say he was a well balanced character in Brawl. Generally increasing the speed of the game and making more attacks safe on block may work out some of how obnoxious he was to deal with and may save them a lot of work as well; that's a positive that everyone can consider.

Moon Monkey

Smash Hero
NNID
Mr.MoonMonkey
Switch FC
SW-0550-3588-6412
Still no reason to believe Olimar is getting the pikmin count nerf, pretty illogical to assume.
There is a GOOD reason to suspect a Pikmin count nerf; seeing how Sakurai is striving for similar character 'experiences' across both versions.
And seeing how characters dealing with AI, like the Ice Climbers, are giving the 3DS some issues, it is very likely that Sakurai will reduce to the Pikmin party count to compensate for the 3DS's hardware limitations.

Source: http://www.nintendolife.com/news/20...e_same_character_roster_on_both_wii_u_and_3ds

Mr.Showtime

Smash Ace

As per his grab, well, that's kinda his character defining advantage. It's the best grab in the game by far sure, but think about it in context. Olimar has a pretty terrible air game, and he's one of the single most vulnerable characters off-stage. In general his options at super close range are worse than everyone else's, and he has to play an extra resource management game that no one else does. He's overall a very good character, but he has some very real downsides associated with him too. If he didn't have the oppressive spatial control and the option of that grab, he'd just be garbage. Hopefully he gets some tweaks to make him a bit less polarizing (let him deal with stages like Brinstar, let characters like Bowser deal with him), but all in all I'd say he was a well balanced character in Brawl. Generally increasing the speed of the game and making more attacks safe on block may work out some of how obnoxious he was to deal with and may save them a lot of work as well; that's a positive that everyone can consider.

We'll have to wait and see. I don't believe it to be completely illogical and you do have good points. My goal wasn't trying to compare the whole kit of Olimar, just his grab to other characters. What you do say is true and it balances it quite well in regards to the rest of his kit. Link, Yoshi, and Samus are all low tier and have ranged grabs while Olimar is the only top tier of the ranged grabbers (minus Zero Suit Samus who has the highest hit stun in the game to easily follow up with a grab). The reason why Olimar is top tier though is because of his great ground game (based around his grabs). Reducing the amount of Pikmin probably will not change how he grabs, though. I think having three might make him easier to gimp than in Brawl. Unless they change the way his UpSpecial works.

Erimir

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3823-8583-9137
but all in all I'd say he was a well balanced character in Brawl.
Probably true for players who are not tournament level. He has a very high learning curve thus being difficult for other players to use properly (I'll cop to not being able to use him very well).

But the fact that he's top tier and Brawl's tier list overall is quite unbalanced kinda makes it inherently true that he is not well-balanced, at least at high levels of play.

Making him more balanced would probably mean making his learning curve a little less steep (that would mean some buffs) and at the same time nerf some of his other moves (like his grabs/throws).

D

Deleted member

I'm really glad we got olimar back and everything...but like some people above me mentioned, I hope this game gets a finer level of balance then the previous games. Not sure about you guys, but my college has a smash bros club and we do money matches all the time. What's sad is that 90% of the players involved in the club are entirely tier biased. Out of about 30 people you've got about 3 people NOT playing mk, snake, diddy, olimar, falco, and the odd ice climbers every now and again. For me the game just loses that fun factor when everyone's playing the same 5-7 characters every time...and for the love of god never let a god tier, like meta knight, happen in this franchise again.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
I'm really glad we got olimar back and everything...but like some people above me mentioned, I hope this game gets a finer level of balance then the previous games. Not sure about you guys, but my college has a smash bros club and we do money matches all the time. What's sad is that 90% of the players involved in the club are entirely tier biased. Out of about 30 people you've got about 3 people NOT playing mk, snake, diddy, olimar, falco, and the odd ice climbers every now and again. For me the game just loses that fun factor when everyone's playing the same 5-7 characters every time...and for the love of god never let a god tier, like meta knight, happen in this franchise again.
Not only did Sakurai say that balancing is a higher priority, not only does he have experienced fighting game developers Namco Bandai developing his game, not only does he allow his team to come with input instead of doing everything himself, but he has the opportunity this time around the release balancing patches, something that he has spoken fondly of.

I can pretty much assure you, this game is gonna be much more balanced than Brawl. Of course it won't be perfectly balanced, that's simply impossible, but it's probably still gonna be more balanced than both Brawl and Melee.

Zonderion

Smash Ace
NNID
Zonderion
If I'm not mistaken, Sakurai said he was including a lot more people to help the balancing. Also, there could be patches to fix any major unbalances.

D

Deleted member

This is good news. Now if they could just give clones unique movesets, balance final smashes, remove infinite chain grabs, create better online, and make the fan not so OP, we'd really be cooking with gas.

TheWhiteBowser

Smash Ace
Just to clear this up even if hypothetically speaking they nerf Olimar by reducing his arsenal to three pikmin he would still be cemented in the top tier because of his grabs, phenomenal ground games, and disjointed hitboxes. So yeah if Sakurai wants balance it will take a lot of trial and error a lot of testing and experimentation. The only real question is are we as fans willingly to wait? If we want this to be indeed the perfect Smash game we HAVE to wait. Simple as that.

But I so love the hype! and I love Smashboards! :estatic:

DakotaBonez

The Depraved Optimist
The imbalances derive from the way we play the game. Mario would be top tier if items were factored in. Fox wouldn't do as well in a 4 way brawl.
All things considered, I hope we get 8 viable characters for our tournament style 1 vs 1 no items style of play. Also smoother ledges on Final Destination so that characters don't get stuck under the stage, sorry for goin off topic.

Tesh

Smash Hero
Fox steals kills and deal with items alot better than Mario.

Amazing Ampharos

Balanced Brawl Designer
Writing Team
The reason Olimar is top tier in the current metagame is that the current ruleset is all of Olimar's counterpick stages as the only stages. ICs are the same way; they're "top tier" in the game of few stages but not really top tier in the full game (and weren't considered top tier back when more stages were commonly legal). Both are good characters either way, but they're not like MK who is top however you slice it. Also, honestly, MK is the only poorly balanced good character in Brawl; I wouldn't hesitate to call someone like Diddy a well designed, well balanced character either. The low tiers needed buffs moreso than the high tiers needed nerfs.

Also, no, there's no reason to assume he's down to three. I know some of you guys don't really know the technical side of this very well, but Olimar's pikmin are not analagous to Nana in any real way. They're more analagous to the projectiles Link can spawn than characters (and programmed the same way as Link's projectiles in Brawl); they're incredibly simple, and you could probably handle several dozen of them before it was as burdensome as a single character (wih the added benefit that Olimar has a relatively simple character model and no additional articles). The 3DS is also not nearly as weak as some people believe; it's actually a more powerful system than the Wii. Either way, when he said multi-character characters, among veterans the only ones that qualify are Pokemon Trainer (though the background character is VERY simple and wouldn't pose a huge problem, still far more complex than a pikmin) and Ice Climbers so I suspect that his use of the plural may refer to some newcomer concept that's giving them a lot of trouble. I understand how from real world logic Olimar might seem to be included, but from a technical standpoint he's just not especially since we've already seen that the 3DS uses scaled down models versus the Wii U so if Olimar were really giving them problems they could just remove detail from the pikmin until they were very easy to render (the HD pikmin in the Wii U version are quite nice looking, but we know they won't look like that on 3DS).

From a gameplay standpoint as well, three makes no sense because Olimar has a confirmed to return move that uses two. If Olimar has a full stock of pikmin and does two down smashes in a row, will he only get one side of the attack on the second one in your hypothetical version of the game? That would be super awkward and would make playing the character just plain weird in a bad way; I don't think Sakurai would have left any multi-pikmin use moves in the game if he were really reducing it to three because it's just too bad for gameplay. I suppose there's no direct evidence that he didn't make this bizarre design decision, but there's not a single reason whatsoever to believe he did and several logical reasons to believe he didn't so the speculation to this effect is just silly. I didn't mean to go in so hard on this point, but seriously, if you believe this to be true you're very misinformed.

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
Spot on, Ampharos.

I'd much rather everyone be really good/no one be extremely bad, something along the lines of 64, than anyone getting nerfed to hell.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
gais... I'm gay for Olimar like every one should be.
It seems you accidentally messed up there.

Don't worry though. I'm here to help. I fixed it for ya! :D

:olimar:

Mr.Universe

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1864-9620-1149
I'm actually ecstatic and disappointed at the same time because I always look forward to the picture of the day, but then again it won't be as good as the Olimar reveal.

Toxicroaker

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4184-2367-6702
No, there's no reason to assume he's down to three. I know some of you guys don't really know the technical side of this very well, but Olimar's pikmin are not analagous to Nana in any real way. They're more analagous to the projectiles Link can spawn than characters (and programmed the same way as Link's projectiles in Brawl); they're incredibly simple, and you could probably handle several dozen of them before it was as burdensome as a single character (wih the added benefit that Olimar has a relatively simple character model and no additional articles). The 3DS is also not nearly as weak as some people believe; it's actually a more powerful system than the Wii. Either way, when he said multi-character characters, among veterans the only ones that qualify are Pokemon Trainer (though the background character is VERY simple and wouldn't pose a huge problem, still far more complex than a pikmin) and Ice Climbers so I suspect that his use of the plural may refer to some newcomer concept that's giving them a lot of trouble. I understand how from real world logic Olimar might seem to be included, but from a technical standpoint he's just not especially since we've already seen that the 3DS uses scaled down models versus the Wii U so if Olimar were really giving them problems they could just remove detail from the pikmin until they were very easy to render (the HD pikmin in the Wii U version are quite nice looking, but we know they won't look like that on 3DS).

From a gameplay standpoint as well, three makes no sense because Olimar has a confirmed to return move that uses two. If Olimar has a full stock of pikmin and does two down smashes in a row, will he only get one side of the attack on the second one in your hypothetical version of the game? That would be super awkward and would make playing the character just plain weird in a bad way; I don't think Sakurai would have left any multi-pikmin use moves in the game if he were really reducing it to three because it's just too bad for gameplay. I suppose there's no direct evidence that he didn't make this bizarre design decision, but there's not a single reason whatsoever to believe he did and several logical reasons to believe he didn't so the speculation to this effect is just silly. I didn't mean to go in so hard on this point, but seriously, if you believe this to be true you're very misinformed.
omg, thanks you for saying this. Those people were getting annoying as heck acting like it was confirmed to only have 3 because of "3ds limitations."

anyway if I were to change the ^B I would give him a pikmincopter where he would grab his pikmin in rope form (like his old ^B) and spin around and around with them in his hands going upwards like a helicopter and the more pikmin he has the longer it will last.

AEMehr

Mii Fighter
So it looks like Sakurai will be taking a holiday and we won't be getting a picture today after all.

I'm a tad bit disappointed, seeing Olimar makes me want to see more unseen content. But I hope Sakurai spends the Holiday resting his hand.
EDIT: Wow I spoke too soon, I guess we did get one of Drake after all.

Kaljinyu

Smash Rookie
So it looks like Sakurai will be taking a holiday and we won't be getting a picture today after all.

I'm a tad bit disappointed, seeing Olimar makes me want to see more unseen content. But I hope Sakurai spends the Holiday resting his hand.

What was today that might suggest Sakurai would take a holiday?

O'kaz A1

Smash Journeyman
I wonder if the new Pikmin stage will let players battle on a floating platform, which then drops the characters off at a certain location before picking them up again and transporting them to another location?

Well, sometimes Sakurai troll us somehow....

(B.t.w. I really think he's gonna holding a holiday, which he really needs sometime.)

Krynxe

I can't pronounce it either
3DS FC
4511-0472-1729
Is that like the new ship in pikmin 3? like the new dolphin?

well, pikmin map confirmed I'm guessing

TheWhiteBowser

Smash Ace
Today's Caption

Sakurai is obviously referencing Star Wars in this photo... OBVIOUSLY

Did anyone else notice that the background in all of the Olimar stages are very blurred out. I'm serious all of the other stages we have seen available in SSB4 have very clear and distinct backgrounds. Why does the Olimar stage have such a blurry background in all of the pictures?

O'kaz A1

Smash Journeyman
Today's Caption

Sakurai is obviously referencing Star Wars in this photo... OBVIOUSLY

Did anyone else notice that the background in all of the Olimar stages are very blurred out. I'm serious all of the other stages we have seen available in SSB4 have very clear and distinct backgrounds. Why does the Olimar stage have such a blurry background in all of the pictures?

Like I claimed before, Sakurai troll us sometimes...

DakotaBonez

The Depraved Optimist
Sewage pipe in the background, we are fighting in a ditch for filth water. Maybe that's what the floatimg platform is for. If the ground gets covered in sh$# you have to hide on top of it.

TheWhiteBowser

Smash Ace

Like I claimed before, Sakurai troll us sometimes...

Speaking of trolls the Hulk likes to Troll like Sakurai.

Seriously though how many of you did notice this when you saw Avengers first time around. I didn't notice it until my friend pointed it out to me after the movie. Hulk makes this troll face right after Captain America says "And Hulk.... Smash".

P.S. Sorry for going off topic... :p

Ulti-Bman

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0318-7834-6568
This place is referred to as "Garden of Hope". Is this a confirmed stage title, or am I missing something? Anyways, this stage seems very different compared to other Smash stages I've seen, that's good for me. I think it's the focus on outside components and the relaxing quality of it all. It'd be pretty interesting to fight here. I can't wait!

Ulti-Bman

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0318-7834-6568
I'm pretty sure the background is a little blurry to add to the illusion that you're very, very small on this stage. Distant Planet did the same thing in Brawl.
Well, I was referring to the versatile design. Like how the tile sort of flows into the sand and the water in the back. As well as the overall lighting. It seems so expansive and free for some reason, like if the fighters were friends having a casual playfight in the backyard during summer or something like that. I'm just weird like that but it feels a little different to me. Maybe I'm overthinking it.

SmashCentralOfficial

Voice of SmashCentralOfficial
There is a saying, however. "Everything in moderation".
A few meme images here or there is fine, but try not to overdo them. Then it just gets annoying.
@TWB

This, combined with the fact that you (TheWhiteBowser) probably spend a couple minutes creating each one when only like 1/10 people actually get a kick out of them. If you REALLY get a personal satisfaction out of creating unfunny pictures that no one really likes, then all the power to you my man.

The fact that there was no more than 3 Pikmin in any of the new photos we've seen is "reason to believe". While it is "pretty illogical to ASSUME", this is just speculation, and a pretty logical/accurate hypothesis.

Mr. Mumbles

Smash Ace
Sewage pipe in the background, we are fighting in a ditch for filth water. Maybe that's what the floatimg platform is for. If the ground gets covered in sh$# you have to hide on top of it.
You have to hide on top of it, unless you are the Poopsmith. Some people doubt the Poopsmith's chances of getting into the game, but you have to bear in mind that he is the most requested character in Strong Badia. Strong Bad probably would be, seeing as how the Poopsmith is currently winning with just one vote, but since he hasn't checked his email in forever Strong Bad has no idea what is happening these days. Oh well. Poopsmith for SSB4!

Zonderion

Smash Ace
NNID
Zonderion
You have to hide on top of it, unless you are the Poopsmith. Some people doubt the Poopsmith's chances of getting into the game, but you have to bear in mind that he is the most requested character in Strong Badia. Strong Bad probably would be, seeing as how the Poopsmith is currently winning with just one vote, but since he hasn't checked his email in forever Strong Bad has no idea what is happening these days. Oh well. Poopsmith for SSB4!
Strong Bad should definitely be in this, because on a scale of 1 to awesome, he's super great!

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
"Pic of the day.
The S.S. Drake from planet Koppai arrives at the Garden of Hope."
-Masahiro Sakurai
Yeah. Let's make it so I can kick people's butts and ruin their dreams at a place called "the Garden of Hope".

TheWhiteBowser

Smash Ace
Don't you mean the Great Mighty Poo?

What I wouldn't give to see this guy in SSB4 as an assist trophy or even as an easter egg. But if he was a playable character? Oh God imagine comedy!

DakotaBonez

The Depraved Optimist
This is exactly the kinda stage I've been wanting. No platforms suspended magically in the air, everything is connected to the background.

TheWhiteBowser

Smash Ace
Nope, he means the Poopsmith:
Okay maybe I need to brush up on my Pikmin knowledge as I haven't played any of the games. Still though I highly doubt their is a character in the Pikmin serious called Poopsmith. But if there is please feel free to correct me. However all this joking about pooping and poopsmiths and the great mighty poo... And now pictures of poop...You have forced my hand guys I have to use an internet meme now...

Austin Powers FTW!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom