• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Miiverse Daily Smash 4 Photos (Closed for its successor)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Superyoshiom

Smash Master
NNID
Superyoshiom
To be honest, I was surprised when there wasn't anything Mario Galaxy related in Brawl. I'm assuming it's because Brawl didn't come out long after Galaxy. So I was definitely not surprised when I saw a Galaxy stage.
Brawl was in production at the same time that Galaxy was in production, but when it was delayed, there apparently wasn't enough time for the developers to add anything regarding the game.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
So, not to stir up the hornet's nest, but we've seen 3 Galaxy stage pictures, and we haven't seen Rosalina in any.
This could mean that she isn't a stage element.

Brawl was in production at the same time that Galaxy was in production, but when it was delayed, there apparently wasn't enough time for the developers to add anything regarding the game.
The only reference that Super Mario Galaxy got in Brawl was on the Chronicle. The reason why Radiant Dawn got more references in Brawl was because it was released in Japan much earlier than North America; as early as February in Japan, while North Americans had to wait until November, which was the same month that Super Mario Galaxy would be released.

Vintage Creep

Smash Master
NNID
VintageCreep
A stage detail as I suspected. It looks awesome, we can even see that purple Bubba there.

MarioandSonicGuy, you're a moderator, so please tell me if you can: when is this forum going to be fixed? After the hacker raid it works like ****.

GodOfSocks

Smash Journeyman
So, think final smashes will be affected by the gravity? and by that I mean are we going to have the zero laser curving around the planet or going straight forward?

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Well, the awesome streak had to end sometime I suppose.
Who says that it's come to an end? There's several things that need to be kept in mind:

1. We very rarely get new things two days in a row. When this does happen, it's usually because of a Nintendo Direct. Keep in mind that we got a new stage on Friday.

2. Monday has by far been the worst day for updates since the site opened. In the past 5 months, we've only gotten two new things on a Monday with one of them being back in July and the other being last week.

3. We very rarely get new things on the same day two weeks in a row. We got a new thing last Monday so it's more likely that we'll get something new tomorrow, especially if the frequency of reveals stays the same as it has the first two weeks of November.

4. September and October averaged one new thing a week while the first two weeks of this month both had three.

5. We just got the most wanted stage, second only to Bowser's Castle, in the last update.

6. Three games are coming out Friday, significantly upping the chances of something new being shown this week.

If you ask me, it's way too early to declare this month officially over when it comes to good updates.

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
Sakurai seemed to be going out of his way to make this game brighter than Brawl, but just looking at these two images...

The starship looks so much more dark and gritty than it's Galaxy version, this thing looks like it belongs in Brawl. Bit strange.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
Considering we've gotten 0 newcomers via the website yet, I am not holding my breath that we will be getting any newcomers like Little Mac revealed via it anytime soon... And wasn't the Punch Out anniversary back in October? I remember people speculating about a Mac reveal in October too.
Its the japan anniversary coming up of punch out

Starship Mario seems to be less polygonal than in the actual game, maybe it's just me.
Nope. I can see that too. Something feels jaggy--ish about the texture of Starship Mario

But then again and as of what's known now, it's probably just a background effect or whatever so who'll notice that?

MopedOfJustice

Smash Lord
NNID
MopedOfJustice
It's because it's just a background decoration and not an actual location you go to in the game. It'll be off in the background so you won't really be able to notice that.
I agree i think thats why the ship is brawl graphic like
I think BluePikmin11 was saying it looks better in Smash, and I agree, though I hope that there is a FD style background shift, so we can see everything with better lighting at one point.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
The starship looks so much more dark and gritty than it's Galaxy version, this thing looks like it belongs in Brawl. Bit strange.
That's most likely intentional. It's an object in the background, and isn't supposed to catch your attention. I'll tell ya, if there was a big bright floating green Mario head on top of a dark blue sky, it'd most certainly be the first thing to catch your attention. But it isn't supposed to be the call to action of the screen, that's obviously the characters, so the ship has become less saturated to fit its role on the stage. So yeah, it looks worse than in Galaxy 2, but that's most definitely intentional, because it has no reason to catch your attention. When you design graphics, that's one of the key rules, find out what the 'call to action' objects are going to be (the things that are supposed to catch your eye), then mark them up (usually with brigther colors), then have the rest of the surrounding objects fall a bit better in with the background. It's a general design rule, you see it in games, manipulated photos, artworks, and even websites, you can find it all sorts of places right here on Smashboards too.

Anyways, that little lesson was probably a bit longer and more detailed than it needed to be, but just keep this in mind whenever we see background objects like these.

moneyfrenzy

Smash Ace
The fact that this looks nearly as good as the original starship mario, and it is one of the many background objects of the probably 55+ stages

The original starship mario was a pitiful hub world and it was barely creative at all, so i dont understand the complaining that its not at its non existent "former glory"

Vintage Creep

Smash Master
NNID
VintageCreep
Yeah the Observatory was boring as hell, and Starship Mario while fun, was very little and had nothing to do.
I think they work great as background objects, even though we haven't seen the Observatory yet.

SD Grandmaster Hero

Smash Apprentice
Yeah the Observatory was boring as hell, and Starship Mario while fun, was very little and had nothing to do.
I think they work great as background objects, even though we haven't seen the Observatory yet.
Personally, I enjoyed the Observatory. I mean, of course Mario 64 still has, and probably always will, have the best hub world in the series. But I didn't care for Starship Mario all that much.

Vintage Creep

Smash Master
NNID
VintageCreep
Personally, I enjoyed the Observatory. I mean, of course Mario 64 still has, and probably always will, have the best hub world in the series. But I didn't care for Starship Mario all that much.
Delfino Island is the best Mario HUB.
The Observatory had an amazing OST but felt so lifeless. As long as 3D Mario HUBS go, I'd say:

1- Delfino Island
2 - Peach's Castle
3 - Starship Mario
4 - Observatory

I hope after 3D World they go back to big, explorable HUBs. They're the best kind.

Anyway Gruntilda's Lair and Isle O' Hags still beat all of them by a mile.

majora_787

Smash Hero
I just kind of wish Delfino Plaza had been a better stage. And that Skyloft wasn't going to be the same thing. They're both cool places.

Vintage Creep

Smash Master
NNID
VintageCreep
I just kind of wish Delfino Plaza had been a better stage. And that Skyloft wasn't going to be the same thing. They're both cool places.
I think Delfino Island is one of the best stages from Brawl. It's a very simple idea which covers a large area. In fact, Skyloft is one of the stages I'm most excited to play on, and I hope Delfino Island makes a comeback in glorious HD.

splat

Smash Lord
Sakurai seemed to be going out of his way to make this game brighter than Brawl, but just looking at these two images...

Compare it to the stage itself:

I reckon they desaturated Starship Mario a bit to keep attention to the front - where the actual game takes place.
Not to mention, bold colors everywhere can look bad fairly quickly, some less saturated colors to offset it makes things look less like unicorn vomit.

majora_787

Smash Hero
Yeah I really don't like the tour thing it does. In Delfino Plaza, I didn't like that it alternated between what was an actual cool place in Delfino Plaza and a flying Battlefield. And some of the stops were just kind of questionable. Such as the grassy pillars.

I mean sure, there are worse stages in Brawl, but I'm just not a huge fan of the whole tour thing.

So to "do it differently" I'd make it not a tour stage.

This sentence wouldn't make sense in real life, but I think the shift in tone we're seeing is actually because they're in a darker part of space. It is obviously a darker shade, but it's not as dark as it looks because the top picture is in some kind of weird cloudy part of Mario Galaxy, while Brawl's stage takes place in a much darker part of the cosmos. We need a picture of the spaceship in different lighting. It's also probably a toned down a little because, like others have said, it's supposed to be in the background.

All that said the detail on it is pretty impressive seeing as it is probably just something that floats by.

Protom

Smash Lord
NNID
Toonfearow
3DS FC
1521-4412-3019
Guys, if you go on peaches profile page, there is now a link at the bottom taking you to the 3d world website.
Just a little detail to point out

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom