• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Miiverse Daily Pic Thread: 2nd Edition (Updated 9/19)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kamikazek

Smash Lord
So I saw this pic and it seriously didn't even occur to me that people would find this outfit sexually exploitive or sexually exciting because it is tame enough to not even deserve comment as far as I'm concerned. I was mostly interested if it was something from Metroid (I've played most Metroid games but I am slooooow so I've never seen either of these), or a Tekken Crossover because it looks like something Nina Williams would wear and ZSS does look a damn lot like Nina so it would make sense.

Then I get to Smash Boards and there's like 6 pages talking about how sexually exciting it is and if it is/isn't exploitive.

It seems I've underestimated you yet again, internet.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Honestly I think Samus even in her underwear is kind of a nod to the fact it's based on the alien movies

This is Ripley at the end of Alien 1

Samus at the end of Metroid 2

Since Metroid was heavily inspired by the alien series...

Edit: The new version is dressed a lot more conservatively than this metroid 2 ending. It's even street legal

Last edited:

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
Then I get to Smash Boards and there's like 6 pages talking about how sexually exciting it is and if it is/isn't exploitive.

It seems I've underestimated you yet again, internet.
Hmm, I don't know if the consensus is that, I think we're just meta-ing about it/it's implications, any form of zero suit samus recognition would've had a similar response, she's just that much of a buzz-spot.

YoshiSonic

Smash Ace
Hey, as long as I don't see this trendy outfit on EVERY online match that includes a ZSS, I'll be fine. (Like that Pink Gold Peach trend for MK8, I know I joined over 40 matches with over 6 of 'em)

It's a part of the series so I'm ok with it, but just don't want to see it that much in my battles, lawl.

(My favorite characters getting beaten up by half naked women, the horror! :surprised:)

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
This has to be the least inappropriate version of a metroid ending outfit

I don't see the big deal

Kamikazek

Smash Lord
Hmm, I don't know if the consensus is that, I think we're just meta-ing about it/it's implications, any form of zero suit samus recognition would've had a similar response, she's just that much of a buzz-spot.
I get what people are talking about. What I was trying to say is, I didn't expect anyone to talk about sexualization in regards to this picture, because when I saw the picture the topic didn't even cross my mind. I was naïve. But I tried to say it in a funny way. :B

leprechaunlink727

Smash Ace
On a completely different note, is anybody worried that we're getting Melee stages exclusively on 3DS and Brawl stages exclusively on Wii U? If there's no Hyrule Temple on Wii U I'm gonna be piiiiiiissed.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I just looked up what girls IRL wear in professional fighting

It's very similar to this outfit

RedCap-BlueSpikes

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RedCapBlueSpikes
On a completely different note, is anybody worried that we're getting Melee stages exclusively on 3DS and Brawl stages exclusively on Wii U? If there's no Hyrule Temple on Wii U I'm gonna be piiiiiiissed.
We already have Palutena's Temple to fill that Ridley-sized stage niche. They might even decide to bring back New Pork City. It did have a unique gimmick.

NNID
TheSir24
3DS FC
2191-8079-5484
Wooo!

I didn't expect this at all. I love the classic Samus outfit! Also we got Norfair back!

And Sakurai's comment is intriguing, to say the least.

leprechaunlink727

Smash Ace
We already have Palutena's Temple to fill that Ridley-sized stage niche. They might even decide to bring back New Pork City. It did have a unique gimmick.
Here's the thing though, I don't want those stages, I want Hyrule Temple. I want the Fight Club. I want the site of some of my greatest Smash matches of all time. Hopefully Sakurai realizes that's one of the best designed stages they've ever done and puts it in both versions.

Cap'nChreest

Smash Master
NNID
CapnChreest
Yo. Metroid Fusion is awesome. I'm really glad to see it gets some more notice in this game. I wonder what else is in store.

Krysco

Aeon Hero
NNID
Krysco
3DS FC
2122-7731-1180
Here's the thing though, I don't want those stages, I want Hyrule Temple. I want the Fight Club. I want the site of some of my greatest Smash matches of all time. Hopefully Sakurai realizes that's one of the best designed stages they've ever done and puts it in both versions.
I hate that stage so damn much. Temple and FD were pretty much the only stages picked on basic brawl. FD was okayish but it got old seeing the same stage over and over again but Temple, Temple was BS. No one would fight (for some reason, welcome to what basic brawl became) and if there ever was a fight no one would die till like 300%.

I'm guessing that's part of why you like it but me being a Ganondorf and having to put so much effort in just to land one blow just to have it not kill really ruined the enjoyment. Doesn't help that once they got a point they could run circles around the stage to get away until the timer went out.

But that's just my opinion, not trying to insult you for having yours or anything, plus to my knowledge for fun mode randomly picks the stages so I won't be stuck seeing that stage over and over again if it does come back.

Hayzie

Smash Lord
NNID
Hayzie
3DS FC
5000-3322-4068
I don't know... I guess you can justify it that way seeing as she's part Chozo or whatever, but the point is that it doesn't look good at all. If it was a deliberate choice, it was a bad one. But you may actually be right, seeing as none of the other female models seem to have this problem.

I curl up into a ball often to roll and jump in that form. I am sexy nonetheless. :zerosuitsamus:

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
That's a solid point, but I'll still say this.

Those two examples are within much more light-hearted, silly universes. It's much easier to suspend disbelief in those contexts. Metroid, on the other hand, is relatively more rooted in realism and serious story telling. Therein comes the issue in which that Samus' implied choice of entering battle in shorts is kinda out of character. Watching her fight in that is almost comical if you ask me ^.^

Drawing up a parallel with a different franchise is difficult, Metroid is quite unique as far as Nintendo franchises go.
However Smash Bros isn't rooted in realism and serious story telling.

The phrase "When in Rome, do as Romans do" comes to mind.

PurpleSpaceDragon

Smash Journeyman
Metroid ending outfit(s) have been my most wanted alts since alts were first confirmed. So suffice it to say this Zero Misson ending Samus might be my fave PotD ever.

For those who are unaware, below are the ending outfits from the other 2D Metroid games:

From ledf to right: Metroid, Metroid 2: The Return of Samus, Super Metroid, Metroid Fusion

As you can see, the Fusion ending outfit is very similar to the Zero Mission outfit that this Alt is based on.

Last edited:

Kapus

Smash Ace
NNID
Kaplus4
3DS FC
3626-0411-0921
I had to do quite a double take when I first saw this picture. I wasn't really expecting to see an alt based on one of Metroid's ending images. That's pretty neat, and gets me very optimistic about other alts this game could include. There's so much potential for so many characters.

It'd be super cool if this alt got a palette swap based on Justin Bailey.

TJ-Works

Smash Hero
I did the same thing!
Then I noticed there was a stage reveal as well.

I didn't notice the stage reveal. It's Brinstar Melee, isn't it?

Short shorts, how could you distract me that way...

Last edited:

leprechaunlink727

Smash Ace
I hate that stage so damn much. Temple and FD were pretty much the only stages picked on basic brawl. FD was okayish but it got old seeing the same stage over and over again but Temple, Temple was BS. No one would fight (for some reason, welcome to what basic brawl became) and if there ever was a fight no one would die till like 300%.

I'm guessing that's part of why you like it but me being a Ganondorf and having to put so much effort in just to land one blow just to have it not kill really ruined the enjoyment. Doesn't help that once they got a point they could run circles around the stage to get away until the timer went out.

But that's just my opinion, not trying to insult you for having yours or anything, plus to my knowledge for fun mode randomly picks the stages so I won't be stuck seeing that stage over and over again if it does come back.
It sounds like your mistake here was playing Brawl online. When I talk about my greatest Smash battles, there were in a room with friends.

Krysco

Aeon Hero
NNID
Krysco
3DS FC
2122-7731-1180
It sounds like your mistake here was playing Brawl online. When I talk about my greatest Smash battles, there were in a room with friends.
I don't have many of those and of the ones I do have only one of them has any interest in Smash Bros. Kinda the reason I relied on basic brawl to be my main source of entertainment.

Also I forgot to mention, you brought up a good point about Melee stages being exclusive to the 3DS version and Brawl stages being exclusive to the Wii U version. We don't have any Melee stages on the Wii U version or any Brawl stages on the 3DS version do we?

T-Hell

Smash Lord
I don't have many of those and of the ones I do have only one of them has any interest in Smash Bros. Kinda the reason I relied on basic brawl to be my main source of entertainment.

Also I forgot to mention, you brought up a good point about Melee stages being exclusive to the 3DS version and Brawl stages being exclusive to the Wii U version. We don't have any Melee stages on the Wii U version or any Brawl stages on the 3DS version do we?
Nope, 3ds got that Green Hills whatever from Brawl.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I'm glad among the many various alts Zero Suit could have, they chose practically one of the most modest/casual choices.

Also, sweet, Brinstar. But where's my n64 stages. Outside of Final Destination(and Battlefield), technically.

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
Well Pirate Ship in Brawl was easy to see as a spiritual successor to the 64 Zelda stage. But I don't know if there are that many "designs" that are completely non-existent that existed in some form in 64.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom