• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Miiverse Daily Pic Thread: 2nd Edition (Updated 9/19)

Status
Not open for further replies.

BeatNinja

Smash Ace
NNID
BeatNinja
3DS FC
0473-8305-4122
Inb4 the Press Kit revealed everything Sakurai could've revealed for the PotD until release with the exception of trophies and characters. Maybe stages too but I dunno. *Toots*

Shroob

Sup?
Inb4 the Press Kit revealed everything Sakurai could've revealed for the PotD until release with the exception of trophies and characters. Maybe stages too but I dunno. *Toots*
As far as items, the only ones I didn't see were the Fan and the Cracker Launcher, so.... there's that.

Minato Arisato

Smash Ace
NNID
ShinyBachuru
3DS FC
1392-5292-2267
This thread really has fallen out of favor. Remember we had over 100 people viewing this around this time?

BeatNinja

Smash Ace
NNID
BeatNinja
3DS FC
0473-8305-4122
This thread really has fallen out of favor. Remember we had over 100 people viewing this around this time?
Maybe we've been spoiled too much, and that killed the hype.

Back in my day, we got stupid filler pics, and maybe a piece of actual info only once a week, and gershdernit WE LIKED IT.... No we didn't. October was a dark month.

leprechaunlink727

Smash Ace
I don't understand why there's so much hate for Pac-Man. He may not seem like the most exciting choice, but he was the first video game character, and the original arcade game is a cultural touchstone throughout the entire world. Without Pac-man, there would be no Mario. He's Miyamoto's personal favorite video game character. Smash is a game devoted to video gaming icons, and besides Mario, Pac-Man is the video game icon. Now it's very true that his franchise hasn't successfully adapted with the changing times the way Mario or Sonic or Megaman have, but that doesn't minimize how deserving he is. I know people want Lloyd Irving, but hardly anybody knows who the hell that is. The generic protagonist of one entry in a cult rpg series is far from an adequate rep for Namco. There's probably not a single person who doesn't know Pac-Man. He's that famous. I'm sure Sakurai and his team will do right by him and his legacy.

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
It'll get back to normal within a week.

This is real evidence.

If we had items from Sega games without Sonic as a playable character, would you not find it incredibly odd?
Not as much if they were developing the game (and Sonic hypothetically didn't become a popular request until their involvement was announced), but I get what you mean.

I have yet to view the press kit in fear it kill the pic of the day hype
For what it's worth the pic tonight probably won't be that great anyway.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
I don't understand why there's so much hate for Pac-Man. He may not seem like the most exciting choice, but he was the first video game character, and the original arcade game is a cultural touchstone throughout the entire world. Without Pac-man, there would be no Mario. He's Miyamoto's personal favorite video game character. Smash is a game devoted to video gaming icons, and besides Mario, Pac-Man is the video game icon. Now it's very true that his franchise hasn't successfully adapted with the changing times the way Mario or Sonic or Megaman have, but that doesn't minimize how deserving he is. I know people want Lloyd Irving, but hardly anybody knows who the hell that is. The generic protagonist of one entry in a cult rpg series is far from an adequate rep for Namco. There's probably not a single person who doesn't know Pac-Man. He's that famous. I'm sure Sakurai and his team will do right by him and his legacy.
Here's why I hate Pacman in Smash Bros.
Because people justify him with the reason you stated.
Just because he saved the industry doesn't mean he has anything to do with Nintendo.

What if humans evolved from wild goats? Would you want wild goats to be in every movie?

Because you should.

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
After the INSANE amount of info we got in the last Direct I doubt I'll be able to get hyped for PotD again unless if it's a stage/character reveal.

Xaltis

Smash Hero
I love Pac-Man, his games are good, and he deserves to be in Smash Bros. BUT I would rather see Lloyd over him, if Lloyd isn't possible then I would rather see Pac-Man then nobody.

Shroob

Sup?
Just because he saved the industry doesn't mean he has anything to do with Nintendo.

What if humans evolved from wild goats? Would you want wild goats to be in every movie?

Because you should.
Wild Goats? After playing Goat Simulator I'd have to say yes.

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806

Because you should.
Pacman saved the industry? I thought that was Mario. I thought all Pacman did was attract girls to playing video games.

Last edited:

leprechaunlink727

Smash Ace

Because you should.
I think that's just about the most absurd false equivalency I've ever heard. Truly, thank you for that. I'm not out to start an argument, I think the evidence for Pac-Man is pretty indisputable. First of all, if Snake can be in Smash Bros, it's pretty clear that a third party character doesn't have to immediately make you think "Nintendo" in order to represent the company that they're the mascot for (although you seem like one of those people who hated that Snake was in Brawl). But as many others have stated, Pac-Man has quite a bit to do with Nintendo. He's had dozens of games on Nintendo systems. His most highly rated game of the last decade was a Gamecube exclusive designed by Shigeru ****ing Miyamoto in which Mario served as the announcer. He's appeared in every one of the arcade versions of Mario Kart. And he's the mascot of the company that's helping Sakurai develop this very game. A company that has very recently begun a new initiative to revitalize the character. He already appeared another fighting game opposite a version of Megaman just last year. And now we see that items representing Namco games from the same era as Pac-Man are in the game. He's going to be playable. You're welcome to your opinion on whether or not that's a good thing, but it's not going to change the fact that he's in.

Also, the Samuses look great as always. I'm a big fan of both of these redesigns actually, although it's sad that ZSS didn't survive Other M without getting sexed up even more.

Last edited:

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
I think that's just about the most absurd false equivalency I've ever heard. Truly, thank you for that. I'm not out to start an argument, I think the evidence for Pac-Man is pretty indisputable. First of all, if Snake can be in Smash Bros, it's pretty clear that a third party character doesn't have to immediately make you think "Nintendo" in order to represent the company that they're the mascot for (although you seem like one of those people who hated that Snake was in Brawl). But as many others have stated, Pac-Man has quite a bit to do with Nintendo. He's had dozens of games on Nintendo systems. His most highly rated game of the last decade was a Gamecube exclusive designed by Shigeru ****ing Miyamoto in which Mario served as the announcer. He's appeared in every one of the arcade versions of Mario Kart. And he's the mascot of the company that's helping Sakurai develop this very game. A company that has very recently begun a new initiative to revitalize the character. He already appeared another fighting game opposite a version of Megaman just last year. And now we see that items representing Namco games from the same era as Pac-Man are in the game. He's going to be playable. You're welcome to your opinion on whether or not that's a good thing, but it's not going to change the fact that he's in.
Actually I love Snake. I feel like he fits in perfectly.

Last edited:

leprechaunlink727

Smash Ace
Actually I love Snake. I feel like he fits in perfectly.
Well that's one thing we can certainly agree on. He's a legendary character from a very silly but equally legendary franchise. I'll be very sad to see him go, which is looking likelier by the day. Out of curiosity, who would you rather be the Namco rep?

Last edited:

StupendousMike

Smash Ace
Pacman saved the industry? I thought that was Mario. I thought all Pacman did was attract girls to playing video games.
Not that this is the thread for this discussion, but that's just ONE thing he did. Pac-Man was pretty much the most popular game of all time up to that point, and its still in the running for that title. Pac-Man proved a video game could become a genuine pop culture phenomenon. Pac-Man layed the groundwork for every video game character to come after him. If Mario is gaming's Mickey Mouse, Pac-Man is its Felix the Cat. Not as relevant these days, but still immensely pivotal.

I guess that cartoon analogy makes Sonic Bugs Bunny.

Last edited:

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
Not that this is the thread for this discussion, but that's just ONE thing he did. Pac-Man was pretty much the most popular game of all time up to that point, and its still in the running for that title. Pac-Man proved a video game could become a genuine pop culture phenomenon. Pac-Man layed the groundwork for every video game character to come after him. If Mario is gaming's Mickey Mouse, Pac-Man is its Felix the Cat. Not as relevant these days, but still immensely pivotal.

But Pacman couldn't stop the Video Game crash of 83'.

Bauske

Pac-Maniac
NNID
Bauske
3DS FC
2878-9584-0314
*claps* Awesome. Just awesome. Couldn't have said it better myself. We need you in the Pac-Man thread. xD

Amazing analogy too. You guys are my new favs. :D One last addition to the subject, Pac-Man is the highest grossing arcade game of all time.

On topic, I like this pic of the day. Why? Not because it's exciting or anything, but because it's still new. I was afraid Sakurai might have just used those press pics as the future PotDs from here until E3, and it's good to see he's still going to give us fresh information.

Last edited:

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
Fun fact: the legendarily horrible Atari port of Pac-Man was still one of the 2600's highest selling games.
Yeah I know that. boy did the Atari pave the way for home consoles and then rip it up again.
Any way we should probably get back on topic, the mods may be watching...

No, that was R.O.B. who did that, another character that a lot of people feel is for some reason undeserving of being in Smash.
ROB got people to buy the NES and convinced stores to sell the NES.
And you sound like you think, I think Pacman stopped the crash. I said he couldn't.

Last edited:

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Well that's one thing we can certainly agree on. He's a legendary character from a very silly but equally legendary franchise. I'll be very sad to see him go, which is looking likelier by the day. Out of curiosity, who would you rather be the Namco rep?
I would rather they get referenced in ways other than playable characters.
Which seems to be the case.

Radical Bones

Soul King
Switch FC
SW-3027-1027-5433
Warning Received
Pic of the Day isn't that bad. I'm still enjoying them!!!!

Hoorah!

I think having a caption makes all the difference, all those press release pictures are awesome, but Sakurai's silly comments really make it.

I bet being footstool jumped on by ZSS must hurt a lot now.
I know it's not canon, but ZSS + Jet Boots = Awesome. Her new design is excellent and I can't wait to see how she plays. Strong and fast. Plus her plasma whip looks even cooler now.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
I'm seriously surprised Greninja and Charizard wasn't the focus of the Pic of the Day, but yay for Samus and Zero Suit Samus!

mygamecube

Smash Lord
NNID
mygamecube
3DS FC
4596-9526-5701
A pic of Samus vs. ZSS

Better get used to these fillers. Gonna last the rest of this week and beyond. Sakurai definitely spoiled us with the Direct through, so he won't hear any complaints from me. I just expect this to last for quite a while. We'll see.

Good night folks.

Radical Bones

Soul King
Switch FC
SW-3027-1027-5433
A pic of Samus vs. ZSS

Better get used to these fillers. Gonna last the rest of this week and beyond. Sakurai definitely spoiled us with the Direct through, so he won't hear any complaints from me. I just expect this to last for quite a while. We'll see.

Good night folks.
Even so, it's nice to have shiny new characters to look at. He'll start to go into the newly revealed stages and moves soon enough.

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
I know it's not canon, but ZSS + Jet Boots = Awesome. Her new design is excellent and I can't wait to see how she plays. Strong and fast. Plus her plasma whip looks even cooler now.
Yeah, Samus is awesome with those boobs boots!

Staarih

Smash Master
ZSS looks so good in this game!!

...and I ain't no creep, game characters don't do it for me like that.

...but ZSS could be the exception.

Silvera

Jammin' Jammies
3DS FC
4914-7114-2601
Switch FC
SW-2130-5650-7930
Despite having a crapload of stuff seen from the direct, he continues to post PotDs. What a guy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom