• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Miiverse Daily Pic Thread: 2nd Edition (Updated 9/19)

Status
Not open for further replies.

MasterofMonster

Smash Master
I guess at this point, we could expect a random reveal. Which I don't mind personally. c:
Pic of The Day: "Challenger Approaching! Layton Investigates the Scene!" *cue Smash Bros Newcomer Video in Layton-Anime style, having Layton battle a Anime Mario, Link, Bowser and Samus*

Would be pretty Amazing, if only to see what a Smash Bros anime would look like, hehe.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Gosh what I'd give to see Layon show up as a playable character in one of those directs, I can imagine his trailer being pretty awesome, drawn in the Professor Layton style and all like they did with Little Mac's trailer.... Too bad he's so unlikely.... :urg:

Anyway, I'd like to see either Sheik or Ness as a random reveal... Or any character that people debate being at risk of getting cut really.

MasterofMonster

Smash Master
Gosh what I'd give to see Layon show up as a playable character in one of those directs, I can imagine his trailer being pretty awesome, drawn in the Layton style and all.... Too bad he's so unlikely.... :urg:

Anyway, I'd like to see either Sheik or Ness as a random reveal... Or really any character that people debate being at risk of getting cut really.
I do doubt Layton would ever be playable. But showing up as a Assist Trophy can easily happen. He is big enough for that, at least. :)

And I doubt you have to worry about Ness being cut. Not Sheik either, I'd say. I personally wanna see Wario right now. And Pokémon trainer. :(

... and Mewtwo...

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
I do doubt Layton would ever be playable. But showing up as a Assist Trophy can easily happen. He is big enough for that, at least. :)

And I doubt you have to worry about Ness being cut. Not Sheik either, I'd say. I personally wanna see Wario right now. And Pokémon trainer. :(

... and Mewtwo...
I highly doubt he would show up as an Assist Trophy, I can't see them going through the trouble of getting the rights for a third party franchise only to turn the main character into an assist trophy but I guess that's just me....

And no, I wasn't referring to Ness or Sheik getting cut, I have no doubt that they will be back. I was talking about any character that often gets debated at being cut. So characters like Ike and Snake etc.

D-idara

Banned via Administration
NNID
D-idara
3DS FC
4511-0670-4622
I guess at this point, we could probably expect a random reveal. Which I don't mind personally. c:
PROFESSOR LAYTON FOR AZRAN LEGACIES!

... and Mewtwo...
Implying that Layton isn't one of the biggest modern Nintendo franchises.

Last edited:

SSS

Smash Ace
I don't think Sheik will make it. Ness I'm pretty sure will because even though the Earthbound series is unpopular in places other than Japan, he's OG SSB64. That being said though, everything about Little Mac seems to suggest that he's replacing Captain Falcon.

Whatever. I just want Ghirahim.

MasterofMonster

Smash Master
@ D-idara D-idara
I never said he was a Nintendo character at all. :p

@ Curious Villager Curious Villager
Well, maybe the Layton creators made the first move to get Layton there? I've just Always seen him having SOME apperance. ^^
And, I see, my bad. That would be nice. A lot of people do talk about Ness being gone. And especially Sheik. :/

majorasmaskfan

Smash Journeyman
I don't think Sheik will make it. Ness I'm pretty sure will because even though the Earthbound series is unpopular in places other than Japan, he's OG SSB64. That being said though, everything about Little Mac seems to suggest that he's replacing Captain Falcon.

Whatever. I just want Ghirahim.
um captain falcon is original smash 64 too

D-idara

NNID
D-idara
3DS FC
4511-0670-4622
@ D-idara D-idara
I never said he was a Nintendo character at all. :p

@ Curious Villager Curious Villager
Well, maybe the Layton creators made the first move to get Layton there? I've just Always seen him having SOME apperance. ^^
And, I see, my bad. That would be nice. A lot of people do talk about Ness being gone. And especially Sheik. :/
Saying that Layton's not a Nintendo character = Saying Megaman's not a Nintendo character.
Added to that, Layton has only appeared on Nintendo consoles without exception, he's not featured on Mystery Room or Layton 7, only mentioned...I mean, third-party spots are for honorary Nintendo characters, right? Layton fits the bill perfectly! Yes, he's much more significant to Nintendo than Pac-Man, Lloyd Irving, Bomberman and definitely Snake, and he fits perfectly on the cast full of colorful, interesting characters, he has potential for one of the most varied, fun movesets and Level-5 certainly considered Layton for Smash at one point (The whole Layton's Twitter thing).

I like to think Layton will be revealed either on the next Direct, or with the NA/EU release of Ace AttorneyXProfessor Layton. If he's making it into the game at all, that is.

MasterofMonster

Smash Master
Saying that Layton's not a Nintendo character = Saying Megaman's not a Nintendo character.
Added to that, Layton has only appeared on Nintendo consoles without exception, he's not featured on Mystery Room or Layton 7, only mentioned...I mean, third-party spots are for honorary Nintendo characters, right? Layton fits the bill perfectly! Yes, he's much more significant to Nintendo than Pac-Man, Lloyd Irving, Bomberman and definitely Snake, and he fits perfectly on the cast full of colorful, interesting characters, he has potential for one of the most varied, fun movesets and Level-5 certainly considered Layton for Smash at one point (The whole Layton's Twitter thing).

I like to think Layton will be revealed either on the next Direct, or with the NA/EU release of Ace AttorneyXProfessor Layton. If he's making it into the game at all, that is.
But, MegaMan isn't a Nintendo character either. ._.
I'm sorry, I am very confused, I have no idea if you are agreeing with me, making fun of me, if that's all sarcasm, or a combination of those. D:

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Even though the Layton series has been very close to Nintendo since it's debut and even though the series creator said that he's more than happy to see Layton in Smash, I'm still not sure if he's all that likely of getting in though. Eitherway, I think this discussion is probably better off in the Professor Layton support thread or the character discussion thread...

MasterofMonster

Smash Master
Even though the Layton series has been very close to Nintendo since it's debut and even though the series creator said that he's more than happy to see Layton in Smash, I'm still not sure if he's all that likely of getting in though. Eitherway, I think this discussion is probably better off in the Professor Layton support thread or the character discussion thread...
Sorry, didn't mean to go off topic. ._.

So, ahem. Prediction for next week!

I dare to predict a random character reveal. Another item. A better look at a rarely seen stage. A buffed move. And Peach is a suggestive pose.

D-idara

NNID
D-idara
3DS FC
4511-0670-4622
But, MegaMan isn't a Nintendo character either. ._.
I'm sorry, I am very confused, I have no idea if you are agreeing with me, making fun of me, if that's all sarcasm, or a combination of those. D:
Megaman IS a Nintendo character...as an example, I have a friend who was born on Colombia, and he came to Venezuela and has lived here since he was 2, he adapted Venezuelan customs, he talks like Venezuelan people, and he can call this place home...even though his birth certificate says he's Colombian, he's not really Colombian, he's Venezuelan.

You see what I'm getting at? Yes, there's paperwork to go through, but Megaman and Layton are Nintendo characters. And given Layton's recent popularity burst, I at least think his chances are much bigger than during Brawl, and he had some chance back then.

Last edited:

MasterofMonster

Smash Master
Megaman IS a Nintendo character...as an example, I have a friend who was born on Colombia, and he came to Venezuela and has lived here since he was 2, he adapted Venezuelan customs, he talks like Venezuelan people, and he can call this place home...even though his birth certificate says he's Colombian, he's not really Colombian, he's Venezuelan.

You see what I'm getting at? Yes, there's paperwork to go through, but Megaman and Layton are Nintendo characters. And given Layton's recent popularity burst, I at least think his chances are much bigger than during Brawl, and he had some chance back then.
But, MegaMan is a Capcom character. :/ And Layton, not sure where he's from tbh, never played his games. But he's not a Nintendo character either. They may be popular on Nintendo consoles, but so are Sonic, and he's a Sega character. :/

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Layton belongs to Level-5 as does Megaman belong to Capcom. Yes, the series has been very close to Nintendo with both being confused for Nintendo series at some point, but in the end. It's their own respective companies that have the bigger say to what happens to those series, not Nintendo.

Anyway, like I said, this discussion belongs more to either the Professor Layton support thread or the general character discussion thread so I'd suggest to take it there if you want to further discuss this.

Let's get back to discussing Miiverse daily screenshots please.

Rebellious Treecko

Smash Hero
That being said though, everything about Little Mac seems to suggest that he's replacing Captain Falcon.
Why? What similarities does Mac have to Falcon?

Also:
> character who's been in Smash since the first game.
> the only fighter who currently represents his series in Smash.
> the most well-known character in his series, partly due to Smash Bros.
> getting replaced.

lol

If he really does get replaced, I'll eat my hat and regurgitate the half-digested remains on Sakurai's desk.

----
Edit: Oops. Thought this was the social thread for a sec. Sometimes I stop paying attention to the thread names when I have multiple tabs open.

I really hope to see Yoshi next week....

----

Last edited:

D-idara

NNID
D-idara
3DS FC
4511-0670-4622
Layton belongs to Level-5 as does Megaman belong to Capcom. Yes, the series has been very close to Nintendo with both being confused for Nintendo series at some point, but in the end. It's their own respective companies that have the bigger say to what happens to those series, not Nintendo.

Anyway, like I said, this discussion belongs more to either the Professor Layton support thread or the general character discussion thread so I'd suggest to take it there if you want to further discuss this.

Let's get back to discussing Miiverse daily screenshots please.
Hmph...OK >:v Well there's certainly nothing to discuss, this week had a nice start and ended up as a terrible flop.

peachy!

super princess
Man, I was so sure that a veteran would be revealed this week. Sakurai is definitely unpredictable.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
Man, I was so sure that a veteran would be revealed this week. Sakurai is definitely unpredictable.
not that im predict him but I think next week is the one if not this will be the first time ever with no character reveal for one month (there's always at least 1 character reveal a month)

insomniac19

Smash Journeyman
I really hope there is a character reveal this month. Some may try to disagree, but ultimately the main reason we wait all night for the Pic of the Day is to see if a character is announced. This month has been nice with all the returning items and new stages but it hasn't been exciting. Personally I don't think it would be very fair of Sakurai to not reveal a character this month given the fact that a character reveal per month has been the only guaranteed aspect of the Pic of the Day since its beginning. To severe this pattern would be like refusing to release an episode for a TV show for a whole month without reason. It would leave the fan base annoyed and confused, which a developer should never try to do.

Hopefully I'm just jumping the gun here but you never know with Sakurai.

DaDavid

Just Another Sword User
NNID
DaDavidEffect
Switch FC
SW-7381-1262-2246
I very strongly disagree with the notion that the main reason we wait all night is to see if a character is announced. Very strongly...

Most of us have stayed up, or at least followed the PotD since E3, when he had zero idea what they would be showing. Even once it became painfully obvious that they would not be showing anything worthwhile, (beyond the occasional chuckle worthy post) most of us continued to follow along.

Not till Olimar did we even know for a fact that these pics COULD, let alone would be used to reveal veterans, and even in those early days we assumed it would require that there be a game coming out. Yet we followed along and stayed up. Not till Peach did we know that this requirement was not set in stone.

With the pics giving consistently new information the way they do now, I really struggle to see how anyone could say that the main reason we stay up is hoping and praying for a veteran. We get plenty else to be excited about and a lot of people do get just as excited over things they don't expect to see. Veterans are just kind of an especially nice gift here and there.

ZeldaMaster

Smash Lord
So guys, with the Super Mario franchise, all four veterans (Mario, Bowser, Luigi, and Peach) were unannounced before the series received its first newcomer, Rosalina. Now if Chrom is to be revealed in an April direct as many speculate (big month for Fire Emblem and Awakening in particular in regards to anniversaries), and if the pattern observed with the Mario franchise is indeed true, then I speculate that Ike will be revealed very soon. Also, if Ike returns, then along with Toon Link and Lucario, it's a definite given that all Brawl veterans will indeed return, except for perhaps Snake.

Last edited:

insomniac19

Smash Journeyman
Most of us have stayed up, or at least followed the PotD since E3, when he had zero idea what they would be showing. Even once it became painfully obvious that they would not be showing anything worthwhile, (beyond the occasional chuckle worthy post) most of us continued to follow along.

Not till Olimar did we even know for a fact that these pics COULD, let alone would be used to reveal veterans, and even in those early days we assumed it would require that there be a game coming out. Yet we followed along and stayed up. Not till Peach did we know that this requirement was not set in stone.
I agree with your point of us not having a clue what the Pic of the Day was capable of at the start (even though one could argue that because the PotD was meant to be some form of a successor to the DOJO we would one day get a veteran). However, I'm not talking about our mentality nine months ago, hence why I said ultimately. I didn't say "Since the dawn of the PotD the main reason we stay up is for character reveals". Look at the comments that have been showing up lately; people have been wishing for a character reveal almost everyday. Even if it is just a wish, people still wait for the PotD for the off chance a character actually does get revealed. And now -- with the randomness of reveals like Marth's -- that's entirely possible.

With the pics giving consistently new information the way they do now, I really struggle to see how anyone could say that the main reason we stay up is hoping and praying for a veteran. We get plenty else to be excited about and a lot of people do get just as excited over things they don't expect to see. Veterans are just kind of an especially nice gift here and there.
The bolded text is again why I said ultimately. Of course we stay up to see anything that comes with the PotD but this is Smash, where the fundamental idea is having our favorite Nintendo characters fight against each other.

And I don't mean to sound arrogant but if you so strongly disagree with the notion of characters being the ultimate reason why we wait for the PotD than what would you say the main reasons are?

Shroob

Sup?
So guys, with the Super Mario franchise, all four veterans (Mario, Bowser, Luigi, and Peach) were unannounced before the series received its first newcomer, Rosalina. Now if Chrom is to be revealed in an April direct as many speculate (big month for Fire Emblem and Awakening in particular in regards to anniversaries), and if the pattern observed with the Mario franchise is indeed true, then I speculate that Ike will be revealed very soon. Also, if Ike returns, then along with Toon Link and Lucario, it's a definite given that all Brawl veterans will indeed return, except for perhaps Snake.
If Ike is to be shown, he better be shown pretty soon. Only 6 pics left in March...

fromia

Smash Cadet
If we were given the choice to pick a 3rd party character, with only one rep for each company, I would pick Prof. Layton from Level 5.

March 28 is the release of PLvsPW:AA in PAL region. Newcomer please!

Ryan.

Smash Lord
Still another week for a veteran reveal this month, but dang Sakurai. He's quite something posting two different pics like that. :awesome:

ganondorf_22

Smash Journeyman
Here's the thing. I dunno if I even want Chrom to be a playable character in this game. I'm tired of seeing Fire Emblem only-sword characters. It gives the impression basically that all it is is swordplay, for anyone who's never played it before. I would truthfully rather see Robin (if there's the default 'Villager' as a character, and 'Link' who technically is supposed to be whatever name you give him, why not the default main character from FEA?) or Basilio before I want to see Chrom. Before Chrom I'd even want Lucina, cuz at least then... well, ok, Lucina doesn't really add anything except that she's a girl character from Fire Emblem, I guess. But what does Chrom add?

APC99

Smash Master
NNID
APC-99
3DS FC
3840-8265-8211
Guys...

what if WE'RE the blind ones?

What if our desire for a perfect game prevents us from seeing the potential of Goku, Shrek and the Powerpuff Girls?

Maybe Miiverse is the intelligent fanbase, and we just the die-hard fanboys so obsessed with patterns we fail to see the truth?

Still want a veteran Monday.

soviet prince

I am the terror that flaps in the night
NNID
7066-9708-9591
am I the only one that takes offense that sakurai will troll the fan base into thinking it was something like a assist trophy to only dash there hopes.

Tollhouse

Smash Journeyman
If we were given the choice to pick a 3rd party character, with only one rep for each company, I would pick Prof. Layton from Level 5.

March 28 is the release of PLvsPW:AA in PAL region. Newcomer please!
But so far all the newcomers have been confirmed only during nintendo directs. I seriously doubt we'll get nearly as much newcomers as we did for brawl. I mean guys there could be like 5 or 6 more and that's it and the rest will be veterans. There really aren't too many worthy characters that haven't already been in smash.

CoolPalMitch

Smash Cadet
NNID
mitchgamelover
Honestly, I'm okay with having a smaller amount of newcomers. I do expect quite a few more (personally I want 9-11 newcomers, give or take), but I'd rather the developers focus their time on balancing the already established characters instead of filling up a roster just for the sake of it.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I think I'd be surprised if we got more than 10 newcomers overall. Even more so if there's no cuts. I think we'll get one in April, at least one (three absolute max) at E3 and one more in August.

I wonder why Luigi and Lucario were announced relatively early while Yoshi is taking an age.

Vintage Creep

Smash Master
NNID
VintageCreep
At this point I expect a Direct focused on Mario Kart 8 and Hyrule Warriors around April or maybe even May, to get rid of the games coming out close to E3. Then E3 will have a big Direct hopefully even though I'm keeping my expectations extremely low because of the last disappointments, accompanied by those Developer Direct like last time. A conference would be best but I think Nintendo is still too stubborn and stupid to admit its mistakes and so they'll continue with those Directs.

MasterofMonster

Smash Master
At this point I expect a Direct focused on Mario Kart 8 and Hyrule Warriors around April or maybe even May, to get rid of the games coming out close to E3. Then E3 will have a big Direct hopefully even though I'm keeping my expectations extremely low because of the last disappointments, accompanied by those Developer Direct like last time. A conference would be best but I think Nintendo is still too stubborn and stupid to admit its mistakes and so they'll continue with those Directs.
They wearen't being stupid, silly. But I DO expect a Conferance this time, tbh. AND a Direct, most likely Close after the conferance. ^^

I do expect a Direct in April (hopefully pretty early), and it will most certanly bring a Newcomer (wants Ridley, expects Palutena/Mii/Chrom). But I hope this one will bring info not JUST about the Newcomer, but about the Smash games as a whole. I want Modes, I wanna see the Boxart, I want a look at the Character selection screen and other in-game stuff. D:

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I think I'd be surprised if we got more than 10 newcomers overall. Even more so if there's no cuts. I think we'll get one in April, at least one (three absolute max) at E3 and one more in August.

I wonder why Luigi and Lucario were announced relatively early while Yoshi is taking an age.
Luigi's reveal was likely because of the Year of Luigi, while Lucario was revealed during Brawl's anniversary for being the youngest playable character (chronologically) during that time.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
I'm honestly expecting March to finish off without a veteran reveal. I'm certainly not expecting anything great from this coming week, it seems like Sakurai was stalling things out this week.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom