• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Miiverse Daily Pic Thread: 2nd Edition (Updated 9/19)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sarki Soliloquy

Smash Champion
My Final Smash Predictions:

Villager: Bee Swarm
Mega Man: Rush Adapter
Rosalina & Luma: Hungry Luma Supernova

While I' at it, Pit needs to have the Daybreak to replace Palutena's Army. After all, we wouldn't want our favorite green-haired goddess to get deconfirmed now, do we?

Last edited:

Sehnsucht

The Marquis of Sass
BRoomer
You have learned well. Now join the others like yourself in watching those who continue their attempts in futility, only to fail.

Seriously though, I'm not expecting anything aside from more rage, disappointment and schadenfreude. I'll be mostly neutral/possibly happy with whatever we get as long as it's new info and is useful.
Why can't you just let us enjoy our masochistic bacchanalia? :urg:

ppbto

Smash Journeyman
Sakurai: "Then again, if I introduced every single one, it'd take over a month's worth of posts."
Then, that means that the roster size is of 31-61.

Sehnsucht

The Marquis of Sass
BRoomer
At least 30 characters confirmed, as expected. I think I'm one of the only people who knows the roster won't break 40.

I hate it when people think we're getting over 40, they're just setting themselves up for massive disappointment.
What has led you to suspect a 40-or-less final roster size, if I might ask?

NintendoKnight

Smash Lord
Climbing the mountain I made from a molehill
NNID
Nin-Knight
My Final Smash Predictions:

Villager: Bee Swarm
Mega Man: Rush Adapter
Rosalina & Luma: Hungry Luma Supernova

While I' at it, Pit needs to have the Daybreak to replace Palutena's Army. After all, we wouldn't want our favorite green-haired goddess to get deconfirmed now, do we?
No, Pit should get the great sacred treasure. And then the Daybreak replaces the Dragoon pieces!

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
That was quick.

I hope this means that we'll see pictures of other Final Smashes soon.

MasterofMonster

Smash Master
So I guess Wii Fit is a special move and Giga Mac is what Little Mac looks like with a Mega Mushroom then...?
Pretty sure he meant 'in Pics of the Day', though the wording didn't work that well. ^^

Anyways, glad to finally see the Smash Ball in-game. And while the over a month thing doesn't confirm anything we didn't know, it's awesome hearing him talk about anything relted to roter size.

Sonsa

Smash Champion
Finally, I was wondering when we'd get to these. Can't wait to see newcomers' final smashes as well as revamped veteran ones. Many like Mario, DK, Link...Toon Link...had very underwhelming final smashes.
And the way he said that. It'd take over a month, huh? Well might as well get started! Hope we see at least one this week!

UnownLegend

Smash Apprentice
NNID
UnownLegend
"Over a months worth of posts" is what he said, which is actually a little more than 20 pics. We have 24 characters confirmed so yea, showing them all now through pic of the days would take more than a month.
this bears repeating.

dont read too much into the month comment guys

relaxedexcorcist

Smash Ace
NNID
relaxed
3DS FC
4167-4486-3541
While I definitely feel we will get at the very least 45, rather than 31 it confirms over 23. Gotta subtract 8 days to account for weekends.
And we already have 24 characters so we learned pretty much nothing new about the roster size.

Erimir

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3823-8583-9137
As others pointed out, he said over a month's worth of posts.

The maximum number of updates in a month is 23 (four weeks plus 3 weekdays = 31 days), and there are 24 characters revealed so far.

Either he's forgetting about the three he's shown so far, or he just meant he'd need 24 posts to make a Pic of the Day for each one. He hasn't made PotD posts for any Final Smashes yet.

But really, there isn't anything to read into here. It doesn't say anything about the roster size other than what we already know... It's more than 23.

We're probably gonna see some Final Smash updates soon though. Probably just veterans though...

Last edited:

kataridragon

Smash Ace
I'm betting on 47 characters and 1 slot for random 6 rows of 8.

I based his on nothing.

Last edited:

MasterofMonster

Smash Master
Probably the statement Sakurai made about not wanting to focus on expanding the roster from Brawl's size, but fine-tuning the veterans and not to focus too much on newcomers.
But Brawl had 35 characters, and we've gotten 5 Newcomers, and there will clearly be more Newcomers... over 40 characters is pretty much a given. Especially since he's said there'd be no Cuts. :/

Sarki Soliloquy

Smash Champion
No, Pit should get the great sacred treasure. And then the Daybreak replaces the Dragoon pieces!
Three Sacred Treasures could work too. No doubt Sakurai and his designers could do a lot with that. I can see the Daybreak being an enhanced version of Samus's Mega Laser that you could aim quicker with more sensitivity and are free to move around.

BeatNinja

Smash Ace
NNID
BeatNinja
3DS FC
0473-8305-4122
Probably the statement Sakurai made about not wanting to focus on expanding the roster from Brawl's size, but fine-tuning the veterans and not to focus too much on newcomers.
Yep. This. And I'm totally on board for this. Quality over quantity is almost always the way to go.

Sehnsucht

The Marquis of Sass
BRoomer
Was his wording actually that he didn't want to necessarily increase the roster's size relative to Brawl (which had 39 characters)?

It would be weird to have a roster smaller than Brawl's; with five Newcomers known already, it means we'd be getting 4-5 Veterans cuts (assuming 40 and under). 42-48 seems to be the ideal range for SSB4's roster size, to me at least. If you have a source at hand for Sakurai's comments on this matter, I would certainly appreciate it.

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
If we're hypothesizing no cuts, then we're already above 40 as transformations are counted as their own characters, which amount to Brawl's roster being 39. So either we're getting a lot of cuts or the number shall succeed 40 by at least a certain amount.

Edit: Ninja'd

Last edited:

Kaye Cruiser

Waveshocker Sigma
NNID
KayeCruiser
Switch FC
0740-7501-7043
...Everyone keeps talking about an update.

I don't see one.

What?

Sarki Soliloquy

Smash Champion
But Brawl had 35 characters, and we've gotten 5 Newcomers, and there will clearly be more Newcomers... over 40 characters is pretty much a given. Especially since he's said there'd be no Cuts. :/
Sakurai never said that.

"So we’re not going to cut characters out of the way, we’re going to put in as many characters as we can, we really want to do that, because it's good for the fans and good for all of us. But in the event that we do have to cut some characters, I’d like to apologise in advance to those fans."

The last statement seems to contradict the first. Sounds like he's saying they don't cut out characters from the previous game(s) to decide who gets in and who doesn't. Rather, they have newcomers they want to add and they might have to eliminate a few taking up space. Having all of Brawl's roster plus newcomers would be chaotic, especially since there are some characters better off not coming back.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Sakurai has only said that he'll try his best to avoid cuts, as he knows how hard it is for the fans whose character ends up being cut.

With Toon Link and Lucario revealed, I think he really is working hard towards a no cuts scenario.

ppbto

Smash Journeyman
I expect a final roster of 45-49 characters, but at least this confirms that we will get more than 24 characters.
Brawl had 35 characters slots + 5 newcomers = 40 characters (assuming no cuts), then assuming that this is true we will get at least 5 newcomers more.

Sehnsucht

The Marquis of Sass
BRoomer
Sakurai never said that.

"So we’re not going to cut characters out of the way, we’re going to put in as many characters as we can, we really want to do that, because it's good for the fans and good for all of us. But in the event that we do have to cut some characters, I’d like to apologise in advance to those fans."

The last statement seems to contradict the first. Sounds like he's saying they don't cut out characters from the previous game(s) to decide who gets in and who doesn't. Rather, they have newcomers they want to add and they might have to eliminate a few taking up space. Having all of Brawl's roster plus newcomers would be chaotic, especially since there are some characters better off not coming back.
There doesn't seem to be a contradiction to me. They prioritize Newcomers (and Third-Parties) foremost, then the lock-in Veterans and others, and then try to cram in the rest of the Veterans in the time that they have.

The only reason that such cuts would happen would be due to time constraints, or if Sakurai decides that a Brawl Veteran is indeed better off being excluded this time (for whatever reason). I think the statement simply notes that they'll try their damndest to prevent any cuts with these limiting factors in mind.

MechaWave

Smash Champion
Anyway, finally! Was waiting to see this thing since Villager's promo art!
The Smash Ball in Villager's promo art was from Brawl, too. This is the first time we see the Smash Ball with its expected redesign, even if it's only slightly.

Bauske

Pac-Maniac
NNID
Bauske
3DS FC
2878-9584-0314
Yep. This. And I'm totally on board for this. Quality over quantity is almost always the way to go.
I would normally agree, but with Nintendo on board with patches and fixes, putting out a full roster and then fine-tuning the characters is not that hard to do, which means you can have quality AND quantity.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Isn't St. Patrick's day an American thing? For those suggesting something would happen in that day, aren't you forgetting Sakurai is Japanese?
Well, we got Luigi in the pic of the day. That's something.

I would normally agree, but with Nintendo on board with patches and fixes, putting out a full roster and then fine-tuning the characters is not that hard to do, which means you can have quality AND quantity.
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Do you have any idea how hard that stuff is?

Last edited:

insomniac19

Smash Journeyman
I'm really digging the lighting effects coming off of the Smash Ball. Awesome lighting effects super confirmed! :chuckle:

Staarih

Smash Master
Fast update. It's so relaxing when nobody expects anything and then we get the pic which isn't anything major, but still nice and nobody complains, ahh. Can't wait to see any newcomers FS.

As for the cut characters and roster size, I think it's starting to look like Sakurai is indeed trying to bring back everyone from Brawl. Seeing Toon Link and Lucario, ones which were thought to be cut among the firsts, return is a good sign.

Amazing Ampharos

Balanced Brawl Designer
Writing Team
A month contains between 20 and 23 posts; 20 would be for a February with the first day being a Saturday, and 23 would be for a 31 day month with the first day being Monday. So we know that there are more than 20-23 characters in the game which we can combine with our current knowledge of 24 characters to learn nothing. It would, in fact, take him over a month to make a picture a day for each of the currently revealed characters' final smashes. Due to the fact that two months in a row can't start on Monday, the most possible posts in two consecutive months is 45 so if you believe this posts suggests it would not take him more than 2 months to reveal all of the characters, that would cap the roster size at 45 characters with unique final smashes (which makes Pokemon Trainer one character, notably). While that's probably realistic, I somehow doubt that even if it were slightly more that Sakurai would actually give it away like that since it's still strictly true that even to reveal 100 final smashes would take over a month. I somehow even doubt Sakurai looked into this very deeply at all.

I do find it interesting that basically everything is much brighter and more colorful in the new game, but the smash ball is now a lot darker. I also don't think there's really any meaning to take from that either, but it's interesting. Hopefully we don't see too many more pictures related to smash balls between now and release, right?

Kaye Cruiser

Waveshocker Sigma
NNID
KayeCruiser
Switch FC
0740-7501-7043

The official site hasn't updated yet.

----
Thank you. That makes things a lot less confusing. I thought everyone was either joking or hallucinating for a moment.

Nice to see how to Smash Ball looks. It doesn't say anything else other than that aside from Sakurai sounding like he's making an excuse for himself, which is nothing new for him anyway, but it's a nice picture.

Also, for the Smash Ball to be something that everybody wants, Weegee sure looks pretty content in going the opposite direction of it. lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom