• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Miiverse Daily Pic Thread: 2nd Edition (Updated 9/19)

Status
Not open for further replies.

D-idara

Banned via Administration
NNID
D-idara
3DS FC
4511-0670-4622
I am not to impressed with the newcomers so far and with mii being 90% likely we will have 3 avatar characters, where is the variety
Wait, let's see, Link, Villager, Mii...yeah, 3.

It really surprises me to see all the hate for Mii, but I guess hating casual games makes you 'cool' these days.

Also, anyone who laughs at people being dissapointed with a lack of reveals needs to have their own douchebag jar.

Radical Bones

Soul King
Switch FC
SW-3027-1027-5433
I don't think being able to give a character a custom name makes them an avatar... that would make Ness and the Pokemon avatar's too.

RhymesWithEmpty

Smash Ace
Yeah, just because Link doesn't talk and you can rename him does not make him a generic avatar character. The silent protagonist is a well established trope, and Link is easily identifiable as a specific character. You don't need him to have a monologue about how his canon name is Link just to assign him an identity outside of "avatar character."

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Be patient about Yoshi. He won't be cut anyway. I guarantee that Yoshi will never be cut from SSB4.

Superyoshiom

Smash Master
NNID
Superyoshiom
So I did some checking, and the new Mario Gokf comes out in JP next week, wel'll probably get Yoshi or Wario then.

Vintage Creep

Smash Master
NNID
VintageCreep
So I did some checking, and the new Mario Gokf comes out in JP next week, wel'll probably get Yoshi or Wario then.
Sakurai is not using Yoshi to promote Mario Golf when New Island has been released TODAY.
And I'm still sure we won't have to wait the Japan release date, especially if it comes in the summer.
Also, Wario will probably be announced randomly to promote Game & Wario. It's a pretty old game but Marth promoted Awakening too so that's a possibility.

D

Deleted member

It really surprises me to see all the hate for Mii, but I guess hating casual games makes you 'cool' these days.

Also, anyone who laughs at people being dissapointed with a lack of reveals needs to have their own douchebag jar.
Just because you can change Link's name does not make him an avatar. The character himself has a defined personality and background, the only thing that him and avatars have in common is that they're silent, and there's a pretty big difference between a silent protagonist and an avatar.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
For those who thought that Yoshi's reveal was 99.9% certain, the 0.1% just clobbered you all today.

Anyway, it's safe to say that Yoshi isn't returning until this summer, which basically proves even further that Sakurai focuses on Japan releases way more.

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542

How is Link an "avatar"?
He has his own distinct personality, and is his own being instead of own you create. Being able to change the name doesn't mean it's an avatar.

I think when he said 3, he meant Pokémon Trainer, Villager, and Mii.
Not to mention that Robin from FE Awakening has a decent chance.

EDIT: Also, could someone tell me what stage that is in the Pic of the Day? I'm too lazy to go back and see for myself.

Last edited:

oxyborb

Smash Ace
NNID
oxyborb
3DS FC
4124-5009-7204
Except Link's an established video game character with 20+ years of lore. Miis are just faceless avatars you can whip up in 30 seconds.
The Wii launched in 2006. That means we've had 8 years of Mii lore. 8 years of Mii games. We've had waaaaay more games with Miis than games with Link in that time.

Muster

Smash Lord
NNID
Muster
3DS FC
3454-0690-6658
Yoshi was revealed like a year after brawl dojo went up, you guys are probably going to have to wait until around e3 again to see him.

On the other hand, yoshi's not reveal has me hype for the month reveal, could it be snake? could it be falco? could it be ike? any one of these three would be wonderful (mainly first and last one though)

Last edited:

8-peacock-8

Smash Hero
Am I the only one who thinks that all these Mii stages are actually working against Mii being playable?
Yes. :troll: I think it helps them btw.
What stage is this?
It's possibly from the 3DS game Tomodachi Collection. That makes it the second Mii stage on the 3DS. (And forth stage connected to Miis to be revealed)

Last edited:

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Am I the only one who's not disappointed by the fact that Yoshi hasn't been revealed?

Honestly, I wasn't expecting him that much, considering what happened with Zelda. Sure, Diddy Kong was announced on DKC's NA/EU launch, but that was the sole exception for the reveals tied with game releases.

Yoshi's pretty much a lock for this game, anyway, so I don't see any reason to make a fuss. And we DID get something new. In fact, this week was ripe with new stuff.

gamer8

Smash Lord
Get two new 3DS stages this week; complain about Yoshi. Makes sense.
Well everyone was hyped from it being Friday and the new Yoshi game coming out today which gave a lot of us a good reason to believe he'd be revealed today. Over 300 people in the thread, people falling asleep and going berserk waiting for the Yoshi reveal. The picture is almost 2 hours late (new record) and hype dies down and turns into desperation. Pic comes out, Wii Fit Trainer and Villager standing. Yeah it's a new stage, but for those of us who were seriously hyped and stuck through the incredibly late update it was just heartbreaking. I'm usually awake at these times anyways but some people stayed up for that.

If anything this has taught me a lesson, though. And I won't be as foolish as to get too hyped up over another possible reveal date. Well, unless there's something that could possibly reveal Zero Suit Samus any time soon...

Last edited:

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Yoshi was revealed like a year after brawl dojo went up, you guys are probably going to have to wait until around e3 again to see him.
The Brawl Dojo went up in May 2007, Yoshi was revealed in July 2007. Sure it was a full year after Brawl's announcement, but not a full year after the Dojo went up and we began getting regular updates. The Dojo didn't even have regular updates for a year.

Muster

Smash Lord
NNID
Muster
3DS FC
3454-0690-6658
The Brawl Dojo went up in May 2007, Yoshi was revealed in July 2007. Sure it was a full year after Brawl's announcement, but not a full year after the Dojo went up and we began getting regular updates. The Dojo didn't even have regular updates for a year.
Oops, forgot the dojo didn't come with the announcement that time.
My point still stands though, yoshi wasn't revealed for a year.
Updates this time also seem to be tied to release dates more closely, so yoshi's lack of a reveal probably just means we're waiting until Japanese release date to see him.

D-idara

NNID
D-idara
3DS FC
4511-0670-4622
Just because you can change Link's name does not make him an avatar. The character himself has a defined personality and background, the only thing that him and avatars have in common is that they're silent, and there's a pretty big difference between a silent protagonist and an avatar.
SHIGERU MIYAMOTO himself has stated that Link is, merely a 'Link' between the player and the game.

Vez

Smash Apprentice
I feel bad for Yoshi fans and it's a bit ridiculous that he still hasn't been shown off yet especially when this was the perfect moment for him, but it's hard to complain about a week where we got two new stages.

Last edited:

PlayerOneTyler

Sr. Community Manager, Smashboards Editor / Social
Why is everyone ********? We got not one, but TWO new stages! Yoshi's probably coming either next week with a Year of Yoshi announcement, or this summer.

D-idara

NNID
D-idara
3DS FC
4511-0670-4622
Why is everyone *****ing? We got not one, but TWO new stages! Yoshi's probably coming either next week with a Year of Yoshi announcement, or this summer.
Wasting a Direct on a Veteran reveal would make me even angrier, you know?

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
People always find ways to complain. Anything is worthy of complaints, apparently.

Still a great week and haters gonna hate. Even Sakurai has warned about putting too high expectations on the game. If people are complaining about a PotD not meeting their expectations, it's their own fault, not Sakurai's.

Last edited:

Staarih

Smash Master
I used to wonder why Yoshi was left out of the "original 8" of Smash 64 when Smash 4 was announced (he was basically replaced by Pit), but now as I see the discussion around Yoshi I kind of like the attention he is getting and how he's actually remembered (I never grew fond of the character and I feel like many others didn't either). If he was shown from the very start he'd be as boring and unforgettable as ever hahaha. Here's also hoping his long absense means he's getting somewhat of a makeover.

Last edited:

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
Everyone's negative reactions

As much as I waited for Yoshi, I can't even call this trolling: we got a new stage guys. And to tell you something, it's really intriguing. I wonder where it's from. In anycase, this is more like redeeming under the "trolling".

Besides I thought it was set in stone that the closest we get for veteran reveals being likely is the japanese release date. Emphasis on CLOSEST.

Ah bummer though because this means Yoshi indeed will be a summertime veteran. This might take long.

I'm though finding it hilarious tha flak is still given when this time we didn't have Miss Fit's butt digged right to our faces during that ONE day.

Last edited:

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Why is everyone *****ing? We got not one, but TWO new stages! Yoshi's probably coming either next week with a Year of Yoshi announcement, or this summer.
It probably won't be until Yoshi's New Island gets released in Japan that Sakurai will reveal Yoshi.

D-idara

NNID
D-idara
3DS FC
4511-0670-4622
People always find ways to complain. Anything is worthy of complaints, apparently.

Still a great week and haters gonna hate. Even Sakurai has warned about putting too high expectations on the game. If people are complaining about a PotD not meeting their expectations, it's their own fault, not Sakurai's.
We're talking about SMASH here! We're supposed to have high expectations! And if Sakurai doesn't meet those expectations, then it's his fault, no one asked for three stages, people asked for Yoshi and he didn't deliver.

Chimera

Smash Journeyman
NNID
cmChimera
SHIGERU MIYAMOTO himself has stated that Link is, merely a 'Link' between the player and the game.
Source? Because this is false. Or at least, not entirely correct.

"We named the character Link because he connects people together. He was supposed to spread the scattered energy of the world through the ages"
Source: Hyrule Historia- Miyamoto's Preface.

EDIT: Ah! Found it in the same preface! It says Link is you, the player. But still, he says that specifically in regards to being able to change his name. But fair enough, you could argue he is an avatar.

Last edited:

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
We're talking about SMASH here! We're supposed to have high expectations! And if Sakurai doesn't meet those expectations, then it's his fault, no one asked for three stages, people asked for Yoshi and he didn't deliver.
2006-2008 has gone times ago. We're not mindless drones with sheep mind.

And while at it, let's learn from early-hype Miiverse screenshots as well.

*coughwiifittrainersbuttcough*

I also hope we don't get overly spoiled over and all. But eh.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom