• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Miiverse Daily Pic Thread: 2nd Edition (Updated 9/19)

Status
Not open for further replies.

gamer8

Smash Lord
It's an alright pic of the day, nice info. I felt like this might happen for the final week, just information about the game itself like menus and modes before release. It does make sense, not hype at all but Friday will have so much hype that I don't really mind what we get this week anymore.

NNID
TheSir24
3DS FC
2191-8079-5484
Menu Madness!

Still, it's pretty interesting to know you can lose some of the stuff you got. I'm pretty sure that's gonna hurt if you get something rare. Also, there now seems to be a reason to beat Classic mode several times, just to hoard stuff.

NinfanNanz

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4425-2858-3538
There's still hope guys! Afterall, we still have the Wii u menus to go through!

Last edited:

Marakatu

Smash Ace
The final Tuesday before the release date and we get another "interface"?

Goodbye, Ruby Tuesday
Who would expect a new menu?
While wait for a picture of the day,
Still I'm gonna miss you

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
Canada, Quebec (or Rogeuport if you want)
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
Picture of the day: This is the debug menu. You won't be able to see it when playing, because this is just for us developers. I just felt like posting it.
You have no idea how much I want this to be true.

I love those kind of stiff. The melee and air ride one was probably the most interesting and I even found unusued data for a TTYD menu too. I still don't know if it can be functional, but there's text tht says change parameter and I have no ideas what those are.

You would have an instal kill switch lol.

ahannoush4

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Drazzle
you know a menu update i wouldn't mind? The menu bg music because at least that offers HYPE!

TJ-Works

Smash Hero
If Sakurai doesn't care anymore, why should we? :3
Keep in mind it's the Japanese release this week, and there's an official livestream of SSB 3DS happening this Friday. Not to mention the inevitable streamers who will extract and share new information anyway.

It's not that Sakurai doesn't care. He doesn't want to blow the rest of his load. He's playing smart.

Last edited:

Cap'nChreest

Smash Master
NNID
CapnChreest
Heh.

I get it.

Interface...

Good one @ Shaya Shaya

Good one....

As soon as the 3ds version releases we'll be getting Wii U interfaces for a month.

Lozjam

Smash Champion
Sakurai is doing a really good job of stuffing the hype.... Why didn't he show FD Link.... That would be hype...

TJ-Works

Smash Hero
Sakurai is doing a really good job of stuffing the hype.... Why didn't he show FD Link.... That would be hype...
Probably because it's something he didn't want you to know. And I quote:

Keep in mind it's the Japanese release this week, and there's an official livestream of SSB 3DS happening this Friday. Not to mention the inevitable streamers who will extract and share new information anyway.

It's not that Sakurai doesn't care. He doesn't want to blow the rest of his load. He's playing smart.

Sonsa

Smash Champion
Menu of the day. Stages or alts? Booo-ring. How about the online menu? Look it says for fun and for glory! Pretty cool, huh?

spader13

Smash Journeyman
I found this picture to be pretty informative, actually. I might have missed the confirmation earlier, but I thought custom moves were only from Smash Run, but today's picture shows they can come from either source. Plus, while there have been elements of losing items/having them powered down when you continue, it wasn't confirmed for Smash until now.

Lozjam

Smash Champion
Probably because it's something he didn't want you to know. And I quote:
Then why release a demo? Why even release it in Japan before anyone else? Wouldn't he rather want to let us know everything instead of us learning it second hand?

Last edited:

TJ-Works

Smash Hero
Then why release a demo? Why even release it in Japan before anyone else? Wouldn't he rather want to let us know everything instead of us learning it second hand?
The most likely reason is due to localisation. He and his team are all Japanese developers, after all. They may not have enough resources/people to localise the game any quicker for other countries, which could explain the 3 week gap.

As for the demo, I'm not sure. But considering they were only put on display one week before the official release is not of much concern. Demo players only had a limited amount of time with the game, after all.

Last edited:

Storm Eagle

Smash Lord
NNID
Storm88

SMART would be to show something really cool, to entice those people who are still on the edge of getting the game at launch to buy it.

TJ-Works

Smash Hero
SMART would be to show something really cool, to entice those people who are still on the edge of getting the game at launch to buy it.
What makes you think he won't do that by the end of this week, when the game releases?

Premature load blowing isn't exciting anyway. [/innuendo] Besides, less info. means more info. in the end.

TJ-Works

Smash Hero
Then Sakurai is being a hypocrite, because for every single country besides Japan, September 12th is "premature load blowing".
I'm guessing you didn't read my other post. The most likely reason Japan is getting an early release is normally because they have to localise their game for other countries. The time that takes depends on how big their localisation team is, and how much time they need to translate everything.

Considering the amount of trophy descriptions there are, plus other miscellaneous stuff, they may have needed the 3 weeks delay.

Lozjam

Smash Champion
I'm guessing you didn't read my other post. The most likely reason Japan is getting an early release is normally because they have to localise their game for other countries. The time that takes depends on how big their localisation team is, and how much time they need to translate everything.

Considering the amount of trophy descriptions there are, plus other miscellaneous stuff, they may have needed the 3 weeks delay.
Ummmm. So? It still doesn't matter. They could have pushed back the release date for Japan. Plus, Pokemon managed to do it, and it needs a ton of localization. Actually, almost every big Nintendo release had it close to a worldwide release. Super Mario 3D World, Mariokart 8, and many, many other titles. Considering that North America is where most of their sales come from, they should make us a priority, and they have in the past. For example, A Link Between Worlds came out in America before Japan. Still disregarding what they should have done, Sakurai is still being a hypocrite saying he doesn't want people to be spoiled with the game, and then not making it a near worldwide release, and then refusing to release substantial information about the game instead of it being second hand. That said, I am well aware of the NoA stream, but that still goes against Sakurai's wishes to "not spoil the game". Unless they release an EShop demo for the other countries, this is extremely bad marketing that will also cause unbalanced online play. The hype will rise when Japan releases the game, yes. But unless they plan to release free Dlc on October 3, the hype for their target consumers will fall drastically. Considering this is the biggest game of the year, I am very disappointed in Nintendo.

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
A menu is a type of interface. GOTTA BE ON THAT HIGHER LEVEL abstraction to truly understand Sakurai.

UGH NOW I HAVE TO SCROLL TO THE RIGHT TO CHANGE THE DATE IN THE TITLE

MY LIFE IS SO HARD
Just gotta pray that it stops raining.

That said, I am well aware of the NoA stream, but that still goes against Sakurai's wishes to "not spoil the game". Unless they release an EShop demo for the other countries, this is extremely bad marketing that will also cause unbalanced online play. The hype will rise when Japan releases the game, yes. But unless they plan to release free Dlc on October 3, the hype for their target consumers will fall drastically. Considering this is the biggest game of the year, I am very disappointed in Nintendo.
A Japanese stream is running alongside it as well, and was advertised first.
If people aren't going to buy the game because of a few weeks difference or if it doesn't come with free DLC on release, then Nintendo wouldn't be having different release dates. The group of players who say "oh if it doesn't have X in it" or "doesn't come with Y" are a minority and/or liars. Straight up.

Last edited:

TJ-Works

Smash Hero
Ummmm. So? It still doesn't matter. They could have pushed back the release date for Japan. Plus, Pokemon managed to do it, and it needs a ton of localization. Actually, almost every big Nintendo release had it close to a worldwide release. Super Mario 3D World, Mariokart 8, and many, many other titles. Considering that North America is where most of their sales come from, they should make us a priority, and they have in the past. For example, A Link Between Worlds came out in America before Japan. Still disregarding what they should have done, Sakurai is still being a hypocrite saying he doesn't want people to be spoiled with the game, and then not making it a near worldwide release, and then refusing to release substantial information about the game instead of it being second hand. That said, I am well aware of the NoA stream, but that still goes against Sakurai's wishes to "not spoil the game". Unless they release an EShop demo for the other countries, this is extremely bad marketing that will also cause unbalanced online play. The hype will rise when Japan releases the game, yes. But unless they plan to release free Dlc on October 3, the hype for their target consumers will fall drastically. Considering this is the biggest game of the year, I am very disappointed in Nintendo.
I think your prediction is a bit too drastic. It is literally less than a month difference in release dates, yet you're talking like a video game apocalypse is going to happen.

Compare this to the droughts and delays for Brawl back in 2008. This is nothing.

And why do we deserve free DLC for a mere 3 weeks? Super Smash Bros. is a big game, but it's still a video game like everything else. If you have enough faith in the game itself, you shouldn't be demanding so much like we deserve it.

Other successful Nintendo games didn't need such eShop demos. Look at Mario Kart 8, Super Mario 3D World. Some great games needed demos (e.g. The Wonderful 101) because they were straight up new. We didn't know the potential that game, so we didn't have as much faith in it.

Last edited:

Loungemen

Smash Journeyman
It still does not end here

Let's make this the SECOND WEEK OF JUST MENUS

The last three are bound to be something unappealing anyway since Treehouse will be airing for eight hours.

Last edited:

Zero Suit Wario

Smash Ace
NNID
Candytechnics
3DS FC
4081-6017-8838
Switch FC
SW 3576 5099 8787
Actually liked the POTD. Got me hyped for all those goodies we'll be earnin~

Lozjam

Smash Champion
I think your prediction is a bit too drastic. It is literally less than a month difference in release dates, yet you're talking like a video game apocalypse is going to happen.

Compare this to the droughts and delays for Brawl back in 2008. This is nothing.

And why do we deserve free DLC for a mere 3 weeks? Super Smash Bros. is a big game, but it's still a video game like everything else. If you have enough faith in the game itself, you shouldn't be demanding so much like we deserve it.

Other successful Nintendo games didn't need such eShop demos. Look at Mario Kart 8, Super Mario Kart 3D World. Some great games needed demos (e.g. The Wonderful 101) because they were straight up new. We didn't know the potential that game, so we didn't have as much faith in it.
This isn't 2008. The Internet is a lot more prevalent than it was. They know that more of their titles should have a worldwide release. Also, all of those games you listed above had a worldwide release. And I am not talking about my perspective, merely how it should be. Let's take Hyrule Warriors, as an example. It didn't have a worldwide release for obvious reasons, yet it gave North America benefits for giving it late. We get Ganondorf costumes, along with a single costume pack for free. Not only that, but Hyrule Warriors plans on continuing a steady stream of DLC. That's good marketing strategy because if people spoiled themselves with the game, they still have neat surprises. Nintendo wants people to buy their games right? A correct marketing strategy is everything as we have seen with the success of the 3DS and the early failure of the Wii U.

Last edited:

DraginHikari

Emerald Star Legacy
NNID
Draginhikari
3DS FC
4940-5455-2427
Switch FC
SW-7120-1891-0342
It's interesting in one point in regards to how it different from the KI: U which the intensity system is obviously based on. My memory may be a bit off in this regards. In KI: U if you were defeated during the stage, the intensity would simply drop but I am pretty sure you were able to keep any items you found up to the point you died during the stage.

This isn't 2008. The Internet is a lot more prevalent than it was. They know that more of their titles should have a worldwide release. Also, all of those games you listed above had a worldwide release. And I am not talking about my perspective, merely how it should be. Let's take Hyrule Warriors, as an example. It didn't have a worldwide release for obvious reasons, yet it gave North America benefits for giving it late. We get Ganondorf costumes, along with a single costume pack for free. Not only that, but Hyrule Warriors plans on continuing a steady stream of DLC. That's good marketing strategy because if people spoiled themselves with the game, they still have neat surprises. Nintendo wants people to buy their games right? A correct marketing strategy is everything as we have seen with the success of the 3DS and the early failure of the Wii U.
I don't know if it's really that simple of a question. Could they have held the game back for a worldwide release, yes. Is it always the best solution in every situation, I don't really know about that. Given the relevantly short split release window between the release it's more then likely a result of manufacturing, logistical issues, or possible certification concerns. The fact is the vast majority of games that come out from other countries do not release the same day in their home country. This generally does not happen for a number of complex business and legal reasons that don't always have definite answers.

In the end it's the question of scope, if the game is done and available for part of your audience do you keep it in your warehouses for extra weeks until it can be released worldwide? Generally the answer to this is usually no.

TJ-Works

Smash Hero
I think the internet was still prevalent in 2008.

Also, the concept of DLC has become drained and misused nowadays. Although Nintendo seems to be the only company doing DLC right atm. (Look at the recently annonuced Mario Kart 8 DLC)

Nowadays, DLC is just sugar candy. They sprinkle the word "Day One DLC" for the sake of garnering more sales, and a lot more gamers are becoming aware of how useless and scandalous Day One DLC is in the majority of games. Keeping in mind, the majority of Day One DLC is believed to be fully finished content they decided to take out the game just so they can dangle it over our noses.

Super Smash Bros. doesn't need Day One DLC. It's already packed with so much content. Do you want Sakurai to take out costumes or miscellaneous content out of the final build just so you can redownload it the day you buy it?

Even if this marketing strategy is deemed "successful", it will hurt Nintendo's reputation. They would be no different than other companies like Activision if they started this, and could hurt them even more in the long run.

They don't need to play the same cards to win. They just need to find a different winning hand.

Lozjam

Smash Champion
I think the internet was still prevalent in 2008.

Also, the concept of DLC has become drained and misused nowadays. Although Nintendo seems to be the only company doing DLC right atm. (Look at the recently annonuced Mario Kart 8 DLC)

Nowadays, DLC is just sugar candy. They sprinkle the word "Day One DLC" for the sake of garnering more sales, and a lot more gamers are becoming aware of how useless and scandalous Day One DLC is in the majority of games. Keeping in mind, the majority of Day One DLC is believed to be fully finished content they decided to take out the game just so they can dangle it over our noses.

Super Smash Bros. doesn't need Day One DLC. It's already packed with so much content. Do you want Sakurai to take out costumes or miscellaneous content out of the final build just so you can redownload it the day you buy it?

Even if this marketing strategy is deemed "successful", it will hurt Nintendo's reputation. They would be no different than other companies like Activision if they started this, and could hurt them even more in the long run.

They don't need to play the same cards to win. They just need to find a different winning hand.
I said free DLC, nobody hates free DLC. Much like how no one complained about the free DLC that Techmo Koei did with Hyrule warriors, that added a new weapon and a new mode.

TJ-Works

Smash Hero
I said free DLC, nobody hates free DLC. Much like how no one complained about the free DLC that Techmo Koei did with Hyrule warriors, that added a new weapon and a new mode.
Of course, no hates free DLC. But the free costume DLC you described was day one DLC, correct?

That DLC was already ready-made content, that was probably ready to be put in the game. Yet those costumes weren't put in the final build. You had to buy a "Special Edition" that came with those costumes, I believe. That's exactly the issue people have; its content ALREADY 100% COMPLETED, yet you had either got it for free as "new content", or pay a little extra. Either way, it's the exact shtick other companies get ranted for. 100% made content taken out just to lure customers in. DLC should be content that was made post-release, and it's their decision whether to make it free or put a price tag on it.

Anyway, we should probably stop arguing here since it isn't the right place. I'm not gonna hate on you, but I just don't agree that we deserve "free DLC" just because of a 3 week delay.

Last edited:

APC99

Smash Master
NNID
APC-99
3DS FC
3840-8265-8211
Interface? Gee, that must mean something exciting was posted!

Nope. :troll:

I like it. While Classic Mode made coin farming easy (stupid Trophy Lottery)... this is a lot more fun and easier to collect things you need.

Flaxr XIII

Smash Lord
NNID
FlaxrXIII
Actually I can kinda tolerate this one. It's some neat information. Just get the menus out of your system Sakurai. After this week, I dont want to see another gosh darn 3ds menu again!

Zero Suit Wario

Smash Ace
NNID
Candytechnics
3DS FC
4081-6017-8838
Switch FC
SW 3576 5099 8787
Actually I can kinda tolerate this one. It's some neat information. Just get the menus out of your system Sakurai. After this week, I dont want to see another gosh darn 3ds menu again!
So in other words, you don't want to play Smash Bros. 3DS? :smirk:

KawaiiPiranha

Smash Journeyman
No part of me understands Sakurai.
Don't get me wrong, I'm not complaining about the PoTD. I'm just having trouble understanding his thought process here.
This week is officially his last chance to show us things for himself. He's been working on this game for years, and in 4 days, EVERYTHING about the 3DS version will be known. If I were him, I'd want to use this time to show off my favorite parts of the game before it all gets leaked to the world by other people.

I mean, maybe he sees it differently, but I just don't get it. If I worked this hard on something, the last thing I'd want is for all of the best parts of it to get leaked all over the internet by some random kids. I'd want to show it off myself. Sakurai is weird.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom