• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Mii Fighter: Competitive Scene Implications

LiteralGrill

Smokin' Hot~
Except this isn't the case. Maybe you perceive it that way because you disagree with the rulings that have taken place, but that's not the reality. Just because there's a small minority of forum goers that assume the reasons for a stage being ruled illegal doesn't mean that the rest of the community hasn't played the stage and already come to a consensus on it.

I mean I'm not saying that people can't be sheep, but I think you're exaggerating in this particular instance.
Go and study some smash history, I'm not exaggerating in the extreme. People have even made blatant lies to try and get a stage banned (that succeeded).

People need to just wait and see how they turn out. People just assuming they should be banned can quickly build into a large mentality for no reason, and people with that assumption when the game comes out will be looking to confirm that bias.

Majoraa

Smash Rookie
Mii character is going to be the most annoying thing ever at tornaments, it's going to be so confusing

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
And how do you know these are just generic moves? Mario and Doctor Mario's bairs work very differently despite looking the exact same on appearance. Jigglypuffs bair looks harmless but has a hitbox that extends way beyond what is visually apparent. How do we know these moves won't have odd hitbox interactions? You can't judge anything based on what you see until you confirm the frame data, damage %, knock back values, hit box sizes, properties, and durations for these moves.
Same applys to every character, ever. Custom moves is an incredibly minor advantage compared to MK, and he wasn't banned.

Sahfarry

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2750-1620-0068
its hard to say without playing... i think mii will be fine.

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
You're completely missing the point I made. I used Meta Knight's uair as an example, not a precedent.
Your point was that custom Mii moves could lead to something broken. The likelyhood it could lead to something worse then all the premade characters is slim.

Last edited:

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Since every character is going to have customizable abilities, I'm not completely sure WHY the mii would be banned

LiteralGrill

Smokin' Hot~
Well, I doubt this matters, but Miis can only be used online when playing with friends, just confirmed from the roundtable.

ninja'd

Last edited:

Cap'nChreest

Smash Master
NNID
CapnChreest
So Mii's moves are customizable... Just like everyone else's moves.... sooo... I don't see the need for this thread. If everyone has customizable moves than whats the big deal? They will have default moves as well.

Last edited:

Ulevo

Smash Master
Sorry, it has a marginally higher chance of leading to something broken.
No, that's still not my point.

My point is that by having the option as a player to constantly change the moveset of the character, you constantly change how the match ups are played within the game itself, and within the match up you're playing in. It undermines the counterpick system, and it undermines the competitive aspect that tests the players game knowledge to prove a victor. I'm not implying any one single combination of these Mii movesets will be inherently broken. I'm saying that by having x variable number of movesets, you have x variable number of different characters; they're not the same. And that's not something I feel is healthy for a competitive fighter.

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
No, that's still not my point.

My point is that by having the option as a player to constantly change the moveset of the character, you constantly change how the match ups are played within the game itself, and within the match up you're playing in. It undermines the counterpick system, and it undermines the competitive aspect that tests the players game knowledge to prove a victor. I'm not implying any one single combination of these Mii movesets will be inherently broken. I'm saying that by having x variable number of movesets, you have x variable number of different characters; they're not the same. And that's not something I feel is healthy for a competitive fighter.
SSB has never had a healthy counterpick system, so I don't see why you're complaining.

Ginger Hail

Smash Apprentice
So Mii's moves are customizable... Just like everyone else's moves.... sooo... I don't see the need for this thread. If everyone has customizable moves than whats the big deal? They will have default moves as well.
Pretty much. If tournament organizers were to just agree on picking one of the 6 or so default Miis that come on every Wii U, then the issue is even further removed. Customized movesets are likely to be banned anyway, and if everyone uses the same Mii (which is theoretically possible), then I don't think there's anything wrong with allowing it to be used.

TheTuninator

Smash Champion
Since every character is going to have customizable abilities, I'm not completely sure WHY the mii would be banned
Customizable abilities are a separate for-fun mode. Customization is inherent to the Mii as a character.

Discussing character bans at this point is incredibly premature, but you really can't equate the two.

wafflini

Smash Apprentice
I think so long as you are told the specials the Mii uses before you fight it, it should be legal in tourneys.

Pieman0920

Smash Master
They've got to have a default moveset, so if there's some issue with the custom one, just limit it down to that. Plus, its only the special moves that we're talking about here....though its pretty clear from certain screens that Miis can have different sizes.

RascalTheCharizard

Smash Ace
I'm assuming the reason for the use of Miis online being "with friends only" is to avoid little children fighting against Miis with ***** for a face or a Mii that's supposed to be Hitler. They exist.

StaffofSmashing

Smash Lord
NNID
Lolu83
3DS FC
1590-5734-6768
A relative died in Germany. Uncle Richard. Don't talk about Hitler
On the bright side, it'll be fun to brutally shoot him in the head, and the ****faces... Sakurai needs to come up with a solution.

ToothiestAura

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4527-8092-0589
A relative died in Germany. Uncle Richard. Don't talk about Hitler
On the bright side, it'll be fun to brutally shoot him in the head, and the ****faces... Sakurai needs to come up with a solution.
He has, you can only use Mii Fighters with friends.

StaffofSmashing

Smash Lord
NNID
Lolu83
3DS FC
1590-5734-6768
Don't hurt me is a phrase I say when I say something along the line of apologies.
Also, the Mii Fighters as friends only is a fantastic idea. Then I won't know the person on the other end of the screen's face, and vice versa.

UberMadman

Smash Lord
NNID
Psychotic_Forces
I have a feeling the community is going to decide on one "best" moveset for each Mii archetype anyway, limiting the unpredictability of them significantly.

Lizalfos

Smash Master
My understanding is that customization on miis isn't an inherent trait, but works the same way it does with every other character. That is how it is described according to Game Informer from the roundtable. From my understanding of the facts, this thread was started on the false premise that miis force customization, and the thread should find a new focus or stop arguing over the nonexistent issue.
Edit: miis are unplayable in with anyone mode, ignore the following
I don't think that they will be unplayable online for 2 reasons.
  1. Online will be restricted by parental controls.
  2. Miis are shared over Miiverse as people's profile pictures, thus reporting and miiverse admins exist.
Miis have been shared online since Mario Kart Wii. In that game you could allow other people's miis to be crowd members. Its likely that options will allow you to choose whether a default mii or customized mii is shown. There is also the possibility that default miis are shown with strangers and friends see your mii.

Last edited:

smashbro29

Smash Champion
NNID
Smashbro29
3DS FC
2724-0750-5127
Miis will probably be banned for logistics issues alone.

Unless there is a default for all 3 classes on the character select screen, it will be a nightmare for TOs to keep up with.

Last edited:

Lizalfos

Smash Master
Mii Fighters are not uniquely based around customization:

Check out this link for more info on how customization will work: http://www.smashbros.com/us/howto/entry2.html

They will be handled the same way all other fighters are handled...
Well there you have it, thank you so much for bringing the information...Directly to us. I need to change my initial post to reflect that they are completely unusable in anyone mode (seems radical to remove an entire character), but at least the major focus of this thread concerning customization has reached a conclusion.

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
"However, Mii Fighters and Palutena don't have spin-off variations, but rather completely unique types of attacks." ... Somebody might want to edit the title.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Customizable abilities are a separate for-fun mode. Customization is inherent to the Mii as a character.

Discussing character bans at this point is incredibly premature, but you really can't equate the two.
It's through the same process though. Mii's just are special in that their customizations aren't variants of the same attack

And I'm sure customized characters will be playable in normal 1v1 mode, just not online

Ginger Hail

Smash Apprentice
This basically confirms that the Miis' movesets aren't something you'd just set up on the select screen before the fight. There will obviously be a default moveset for each style (which will most likely all be selectable at character select) and if we can just agree to use one of the default Miis, I don't see any reason as to why they need to be banned.

LiteralGrill

Smokin' Hot~
Here's actually a possible bonus to 3DS smash, since people bring their own console the can use their own Miis WAY easier. While figuring this out for the Wii U community is going to be tough, I;m happy to see it solved on at least one front.

Lizalfos

Smash Master
I really do hope that customized fighters can be a side event (@ LiteralGrill LiteralGrill it would be great for 3DS), but customization isn't going to ruin tournaments as long as there is a default.

LiteralGrill

Smokin' Hot~
I really do hope that customized fighters can be a side event (@ LiteralGrill LiteralGrill it would be great for 3DS), but customization isn't going to ruin tournaments as long as there is a default.
I agree, if there is a default people can always just use it. Double agree, this will give the 3DS something really awesome as well since we wont need to worry about the time restrictions it will cause on Wii U events.

BBG|Scott-Spain

Smash Journeyman
Consider this future: Since we are only able to edit the special moves, people will eventually pick the moves that complement the rest of their moveset the best. Assuming there ends up being more ideal choices, Mii's will be homogenized. If we ever end up in that future, I'm all for making them legal.

Sqa$

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Bazaar
I'm all for making the Mii's legal in the competitive smash scene. I think it would be really cool to see them there since they can vary so much. However, based on some of the smash diehards out there that can get whatever they want to happen in smash and ban things, I think that it will come down to a specified moveset for each of the three Mii classes. There will be basically three characters to choose from for the Mii character in the competitive scene. The reason I think this is because custom movesets for other characters are definitely going to be out in the competitive smash scene.

I'm sure that in some form, they will be usable, just to what extent will be the question. Honestly, I hope that they can be free to be all their forms, but who knows with the modern day scene. It's still too soon to judge some of these things since we haven't played the games ourselves and whatnot. But I'm still looking forward to playing it.

GreenPhysco

Smash Cadet
There probably will be pre-installed miis (Based on Video Game Characters) For use with movesets allowed by each torunament

Top Bottom