• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Midnight Ops Mafia: "The Tension Slowly Rises" (Postponed. New Thread. Sometime after VGM2.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

UtopianPoyzin

Smash Master
Writing Team
Not sure, I’ll get back to you when I find out.
Switch FC
SW 1975-0838-2970
"Welcome strangers! Glad you are all able to stop by for your nice retreat to the town Degamesia! However, there have been a few... changes recently, to say the least. Let's just say the mafia have been acting up again. I, Poyzin, will be your tour guide today."

"Wait a minute Poyzin, I thought I was supposed to be the guide!"

*sigh*. "Are we really going to do this in front of the guests Utopian? They want to learn more about what's been going on in the town. I'm sure that your petty bickering isn't exactly beneficial to their tour."

"Well it isn't that hard to tell what's going on. After all, your 'strangers' as you put it are already wrapped in the crossfire of this conflict!"

"Oh yeah Utopian? Well in that case, I'll let you do the talking for the introduction. However, I'm holding you accountable for the quality check."

The story starts with the Neapolitan, who is the "protagonist" in this town, trying to uphold justice and keep violence to a minimum. The Neapolitan. They recently were relocated to the town of Degamesia to help with the growing tensions that needed to be kept at bay. And everything was just fine... until the uprising.

Town Neapolitan: Investigates a player each night; will be told whether that player is a Vanilla Townie or not.

There has been a large conflict in Degamesia. Two radical groups have emerged amidst the shadows; the mafia and the masons. The first group is the mafia, a violent faction that has devoted themselves to killing off members of the town of Degamesia. The town has historically had mafia outbreaks that ended with several civilian casualities. But this time, the mafia has a few tricks up their sleeves that give them a distinct edge from a normal game.

Mafia Roleblocker: Selects a player to roleblock; that player can not perform any night actions for that phase.

Mafia Rolecop: Investigates a player each night; will be told the name of the role, but not the alignment.

Mafia Goon: Can perform the factional mafia kill, along with the previous two roles.

The second group, the masons, are the self-proclaimed "Heroes of the People". They have garnered a massive support from the town, and have committed to put a stop to the mafia for the final time. They are designed to counter the mafia as a town-aligned faction of their own. However, they too remain as a "secret society" of sorts, where nobody know who the members are. They communicate with each other, just as the mafia do, and the two opposing factions have an incredible rivalry. The mafia may be stronger than the masons, but the masons have a whole town to back them up. It would be in the town's best interest to use their abilities wisely.

Town Watcher Mason: Checks a player each night; can learn who targeted that player, but not what actions were used on them.

Town Follower Mason: Checks a player each night; can learn what actions were performed by the player, but not who the target was.

The Neapolitan has been doing research on these two secret organizations for quite some time. They are currently on a long train ride to Degamesia, so there is plenty of time to prepare for their case. They do not know who the mafia or the masons are, but their ability can help figure out whether a player is a part of either faction. However, the Neapolitan is still fully aware that this is a brand new town they are arriving in. They will not know if there is anybody else who could be lurking around in the alleyways. There may be other fishy suspects in the town.

Chocolate Townie: Functionally the same as a Vanilla Townie, but is not a "Vanilla Townie".

Mafia Traitor: A player who is separate from the main mafia contingent, and has no factional night kill.
(Main contingent does not know the Traitor's identity, but the Traitor knows who the rest of the mafia are.)

The Neapolitan is very aware that not everybody who looks suspicious really is. Each of these roles may or may not actually show up in the town. There should be 7 vanilla townies, but there's a 50% chance that one of the vts is a Chocolate Townie, and there's a 50% chance that one of the vts is a Mafia Traitor, where each role's chances are all independent of each other. There may be 0-1 Chocolate Townies, or 0-1 Mafia Traitors.

Additionally, the Neapolitan heard one juicy tidbit. Two of the mafia members will randomly given a 1x Ninja modifier to use.

(1x Ninja): The action being performed is invisible to tracking roles (Watcher, Follower).

Will the town be able to eradicate the mafia once and for all? Or will the mafia finally get their revenge and destroy the town? That's all up to how the game is played. And YOU are a part of it.

"Hey, not bad Utopian. I think they have a good idea about what sort of business has been happening in town."

"Well Poyzin, they had better know. The Neapolitan is among your tour group, as well as all of the roles. THEY are the town you were previously describing!"

"Huh, so I've been introducing everybody into a town that they've been living in for quite some time now? Neat. In that case, we can probably cut straight to the rules and the setup then!"

"Finally! I'll let you cover these bits, Poyzin."

Town:
[1] Watcher Mason
[1] Follower Mason
[1] Neapolitan

[0-1] Visitor
[0-1] Chocolate

[4-7] Vanilla

Mafia:
[1] Roleblocker
[1] Rolecop
[1] Goon

[0-1] Traitor​

Rules:
1. No personal attacks against any of the players or the mods.
2. No editing posts. Double posting is fine if you need to make a correction.
3. No quoting any of the mod or factional communication of any kind into the game thread. Paraphrase if need be.
4. No screenshots of any kind.
5. Once you are dead, you can no longer post in the game thread.*
6. No talking about the game with players who are dead or those who are not playing.
7. No talking about the game anywhere outside of this game thread.
8. All faction communication (masontalk, mafiatalk) is restricted to the night phase only. No faction talking during the day.
9. No hidden codes, messages, or other text that cannot easily be read. This is includes posting in other languages. This rule is much less strict for the masons and mafioso, but there is still a rule of thumb. If there is a hidden message that not even your faction partners can read, then it's not acceptable.
10. Enjoy yourself while playing the game. It's a g-a-m-e.
11. Don't break the rules. Or else I'm gonna have to do something that may involve you being warned or modkilled, depending on how it affects the gamestate.

Other Information:
1. Day phases will last 72 hours (3 full days), and nighr phases will last 24 hours (1 full day).
2. Only bolded votes will be recorded. (Ex. Vote: Ryker, Unvote)
3. You can vote for a No Lynch. (Ex. Vote: No Lynch)
4. The hammer to end the day phase is met when 66% of the town votes to lynch one player.
5. Prods WILL be issued for not posting in 24 hours. Players with 3 prods will be replaced.

Game Moderators:
1. UtopianPoyzin
2. Thirdkoopa

Player List:
1. #HBC | FrozeηFlame
2. KevinM
3. Rajam
4. Maven89
5. Lore
6. Pythag
7. Z25
8. Tom
9. #HBC | Mac
10. #HBC | Red Ryu
11. Luo Ji

Replacements:

Sample PMs coming soon! OP is a work in progress, just needed to get it out so signups can start before I leave.

Special thanks to Lore Lore , Tom Tom , and Thirdkoopa Thirdkoopa for checking and improving the game balance!

Last edited:

UtopianPoyzin

Smash Master
Writing Team
Switch FC
SW 1975-0838-2970

UtopianPoyzin

Smash Master
Writing Team
Switch FC
SW 1975-0838-2970
5. Once you are dead, you can no longer post in the game thread.*
I put an asterisk by the rule, which would refer to the discussion had at your thread. There is no clear consensus (that I found) that was reached in the discussion, so I wanted to hold off before I established something. I've been doing some thinking for myself, and I created ny own personal take that slightly differs from other's.

Pretty much, I'm going to allow a short sentence post by dead players that cannot affect the gamestate. Any players who quote/comment about the post will be modkilled.

I just wanted to wait for more inputs in your thread before I finalized something. But thanks for reminding me that something needs to go in the OP about said issue.

Pythag

BRoomer
BRoomer
I just wanted to wait for more inputs in your thread before I finalized something. But thanks for reminding me that something needs to go in the OP about said issue.
When I waited for inputs I got labelled as scum, so be careful

Lore

Infinite Gravity
BRoomer
I put an asterisk by the rule, which would refer to the discussion had at your thread. There is no clear consensus (that I found) that was reached in the discussion, so I wanted to hold off before I established something. I've been doing some thinking for myself, and I created ny own personal take that slightly differs from other's.

Pretty much, I'm going to allow a short sentence post by dead players that cannot affect the gamestate. Any players who quote/comment about the post will be modkilled.

Sounds good! The main thing I want is for pretty much any rule to be put in, as long as it's actually there lol. The actual rule matters less than the existence of the rule, if that makes sense. Your waiting on consensus is no problem, and your suggested rule sounds fine. My only suggestion is to maybe include whether that post is allowed only that Night or only on the following Day.

Tom

Bulletproof Doublevoter
BRoomer
Also all players please note the rule that faction chat is only allowed in night phase

No faction daytalk

#HBC | FrozeηFlame

BRoomer
BRoomer
/in, hell yes.

Do you intend to add a rule addressing "bah go town/scum" posts?

If yall are really worried about people following the rule you can just make it a rule that any "bah humbug" post just needs to be PMd to the mod and the mod can post it after screening it, pretty simple. That way you can actually have the rule be LITERALLY no posting by players after death

Lore

Infinite Gravity
BRoomer
If yall are really worried about people following the rule you can just make it a rule that any "bah humbug" post just needs to be PMd to the mod and the mod can post it after screening it, pretty simple. That way you can actually have the rule be LITERALLY no posting by players after death
I mean we have a thread discussing this, away from this one. Lol.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Sorry Tom :( this is gonna be a no-go for me. My days are gonna be hyperfocused on work for the foreseeable future and my evenings are also spoken for for most of August. I wouldn't be able to play effectively.

Thirdkoopa

Administrator
Administrator
Writing Team
Somewhere on Discord while working on something
crap

i was planning on opening VGM2 signups today. this is what I get for not opening my SB tab lol. (I already PM'd Utopian about this just now)

either way /in to watch green room (aka i only want to sit in green room)

Last edited:

#HBC | marshy

wanted for 3rd degree swag
BRoomer
in

teresting setup. i wish you the best of luck with this; add me to deadchat plz

UtopianPoyzin

Smash Master
Writing Team
Switch FC
SW 1975-0838-2970
Swiss Swiss

Hullo, you may not know me but I have seen your name around in the game archives so that has to account for something right?

Also, for all my life, I have been waiting for a user named Swiss to teach me how to play forum mafia so come play. also Kevin wants you here so yeah.

For everybody else, I am in the process of working out arrangements for this and VGM2 with Thirdkoopa. I'll keep you all posted. I won't be very active in the fall or winter, so I wanted to get the game out in August so that I'd still have the motivation to run it. However, there may be some timing tweaks made in the coming days pertaining to this game.

Also there were some balance changes made, so be sure to check those out. The town was a bit OP but there were modifications made.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom