• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Midnight Ops Mafia: Game Thread. Game Over!

Rajam

Smash Champion
fontisian, I'd like you to visit a scummy slot toNight. Someone who is definitely not gonna be NKilled by Mafia. Declare your target during Twilight Phase so voyeur can check and eliminate all possibilities of you being the mafia rolecop

Malakandra

Smash Lord
Rajam, now you sound like you are trying to get the Voyeur out of the way so it doesn't get an actual rolecop check on someone. Fonti pushed the only mafia PR that could stop the process of her being cleared last night. The fact that a mason hasn't spoken out saying Fonti wasn't able to be cleared last night means that she was cleared by them. Don't let Rajam bait the masons into revealing to totally clear Fonti. Its not neccessary.

fontisian

Smash Champion
I'll declare who I'm targeting anyway, doesn't hurt. Voyeur can target my target if they're somehow still doubting.

Darkpit54

Smash Ace
NNID
Robopenguin55
3DS FC
4699-6685-3678
Fonti is 100% cleared. Voyeur hasn't said anything because they were asked only to claim if they didn't see Fonti visit. Since the didn't say anything, the assumption is that Fonti is Visitor and they saw her

Chaco

Never Logs In
NoLight.

But there’s no point in directing anything rn. Nothing can be checked meta wise any further besides catching NK or successful track.

ExLight

Smash Lord
yea I'm really not liking this bossing around on who the voyeur should target

if it sees the one scum visited it's another townclear, there's no point in wasting two nights on a role that prolly is townconfirmed at this point

Chaco

Never Logs In
I discussed it further and there’s no point in doing any of the such.

Chaco

Never Logs In
Current rate is decay though cause we keep recycling to meta or the two yeet targets today.

Of the two I like Boom more. Rajam is harder to read because Somi’s slot wasn’t active during D1 which is where everything is being derived from, imo.

Chaco

Never Logs In
All the names and confusion. Goes dually for you though, although I don’t see scum playing as you have toDay.

In other words I don’t see much use of regurgitating the same read lists and continuing to talk meta if we aren’t going the meta route.

Imo prob why Xivii hasn’t been a present force much as day

BoomFrog

Smash Lord
I prefer to be called font, fonti or fontisian, not Fontaine. Other nicknames will be evaluated on an individual basis.
Wow, sorry, my phone autofilled that and I thought it was because it was your name.

Also, I'll get to your big post soon. Not trying to avoid it, but I am trying to work today and it needs a meaty answer. ;)

Malakandra Malakandra same, although your are quick enough lets see.

BoomFrog

Smash Lord
Also boom how did Jackrito strike you as towny? They literally had very few posts and a good portion of them were pushing Trisscar for pretty bad reasons that were easily disproved with a bit of reasoning.
Their call out that Xivii shouldn't find them townie, and then the callout that they didn't like that no one was pushing them dispite them being super lurky.

Boom, what about Z did you see and not like?
As I said, it's a memory of not liking something. I'll have to reread to remember what it is.

One thing confuses me though. What does everyone make of Raj's vote on Boom?
Put this in my "+quote"s earlier and it just popped out. Obviously awkward for me to answer this, but you shouldn't consider it a real vote. Rajam knows it wouldn't lead anywhere so early in the day. It's meaningless posturing to try and get a reaction.

Chaco

Never Logs In
I just reread Jackrito’s posts and prefer Boom over Raj today from prior content.

Rajam Rajam I know you’re good at the game, although it’s been years since we played together, can you lay out in a concise manner a Z25 Lynch.

Ive laid out why I like a Boom Lynch. Frozen attempting to diffuse Boom and Me was enough in my mind with his attempts at pocketing me to go for Boom. Maybe Frozen overestimated me cause I used to be good? But the rust is real. Booms interjection at me always felt suss. He attempted to discredit why I was suss of Boom in the first place, and then it’s like Boom and I diffused and I switched off to Raxx/Mala and then ultimately Xivii. Perhaps what I felt off about initially enough looking for connections should never have been at Xivii but a group scum effort to divide and pocket town. ie Boom defending Xivii, and Frozen buttoning me in his pocket. So what I felt off was never Xivii, but was truthfully Boom and left me continuing to spin my wheels in the wrong direction searching for what didn’t add up.

Rajam

Smash Champion
I just reread Jackrito’s posts and prefer Boom over Raj today from prior content.

Rajam Rajam I know you’re good at the game, although it’s been years since we played together, can you lay out in a concise manner a Z25 Lynch.

Ive laid out why I like a Boom Lynch. Frozen attempting to diffuse Boom and Me was enough in my mind with his attempts at pocketing me to go for Boom. Maybe Frozen overestimated me cause I used to be good? But the rust is real. Booms interjection at me always felt suss. He attempted to discredit why I was suss of Boom in the first place, and then it’s like Boom and I diffused and I switched off to Raxx/Mala and then ultimately Xivii. Perhaps what I felt off about initially enough looking for connections should never have been at Xivii but a group scum effort to divide and pocket town. ie Boom defending Xivii, and Frozen buttoning me in his pocket. So what I felt off was never Xivii, but was truthfully Boom and left me continuing to spin my wheels in the wrong direction searching for what didn’t add up.
You want me to do an ISO or articulate a whole case or something like that regarding Z25 slot? Sorry can't do that, as I havent finished reading D1 yet, and my case is more of a point here, an impression there; I'd rather link you to the posts with the specific points I have for thinking Z25 will flip scum:

Also BoomFrog is my 2nd pick and I'd totally support you if it comes to it. It's just I feel more confident about Z25 than BF at this moment.

Maybe it's a good time to update a bit my reads. So far I'm reaching page 16 (40 post-per-page):

fontisian
DarkPit
Chaco
Malakata

trisscar
Zen

Laser

Somitomi
BoomFrog
Z25

I feel super confident about my town reads and I wouldn't mind lynching nulls and scummers just by PoE

Chaco

Never Logs In
Oh I thought you had read up to this point. Definitely catch up and let me know where you’re at.

UtopianPoyzin

Smash Master
Writing Team
Not sure, I’ll get back to you when I find out.
Switch FC
SW 1975-0838-2970
Vote Count 2.03

[3] Rajam: LaserGuy, Malakandra, Darkpit54
[1] Chaco: ExLight
[1] ExLight: Trisscar
[1] Malakandra: Xivii
[1] Z25: Rajam
[1] BoomFrog: Chaco

Not voting: Z25, BoomFrog, Fontisian

With 11 alive, it takes 6 to hammer.

Day 2 ends on July 12th at 8 PM EST

Last edited:

Chaco

Never Logs In
Based off visual connection to FF’s slot.

Boom v Me.

FF backs Boom and starts to pocket me.

Boom attacks FF

FF shrugs it off.

FF was clearly butting heads with Fonti, which makes sense why Fonti was the spear tip because I hadn’t read it that way before.

FF evaluates booms points as well as valid etc. addressing the slot but not overly.

When I post that Boom lunch didn’t seem informed to me, FF backs it and says it why he townreads Boom. More pocketing towards me, and double agenda with Boom as scum mate?

The big thing is that Boom was suss if Frozen before and wouldn’t join the yeet.

that’s the biggest flag, imo.
Z25 Z25

Chaco

Never Logs In
Rest of thought process articulated above after Rajam portion.

BoomFrog

Smash Lord
Chaco Chaco I think FF was trying to support me because I was locking horns with Xivii and he wanted to watch that train wreak.

Trisscar

Smash Ace
Yeah my bad, you're right that frozen said 'null read' by the end, but despite that what I meant is that it seemed frozen was defending you, as in knowing you are not his scummate and therefore town:

"I didn't have quite the same reaction as I don't know enough about trisscar to know what's "truncated" language for him relative to his usual playstyle as I have no previous experience with the slot, but I did get the vibe that triscarr wasn't really meaningfully engaging with anything being said. I get a very "cards close to the chest" feel, throwing out comments re: preferences about early game tone and opining on mechanics but very little in the way of actually taking a stance on whether any other slots' contribution reads genuinely protown or scummy. I will give triss credit though for I think accurately describing Xiivi's play as "overeager" which is a null tell imo. "

- He didn't read your language as truncated and at the end gave you 'credit'

While reading frozen's 203 the impression I got is that he wasn't reading you as scum at all. Despite saying having a null read, he still defended you. In #261 frozen puts you in his town reads/leans:

"3. Trisscar - on first read this slot was very meh to me but upon re-read idk why but this slot just feels like a towny trying to have a good time if that makes sense? def more of a gut read"

By the end what I mean is that frozen's posture about you reads as genuine, as in he knew you're town and therefore it was easier for him to see your town intentions (particularly when he said he didnt read your language as truncated)
Mm, aight.

Why are you so mad? umu
I don't like your shooting everywhere blindly style of "hunting" during D1, and you literally stayed on a townconfirmed player until EoD, how is that not scummy?

Even if I'm wrong, it's way less damaging to see a townie as scum than seeing a scum as town
It's all about that type I and type II error babe

Yall shouldn't be clearing people like that prolly. Yall reducing the PoE into 3 players already and acting like gg easy game which is kinda 'eh?' imo it's just kinda messed up and reckless

about DarkPit, I didn't get these ultra townie vibes from him like everyone else when I was catching up with the D1 content. I feel like they're a good kid, but that's not alignment indicative lol.
However I do think he looks really good based on him voting early on in the roleblocker wagon and staying there when it got some momentum, so that certainly bumped him up for me. I trust concrete wagonomics more than my ability to read people rushingly umu
^Fronting btw. Sudden and unprecedented overly familiar address, "It's all about that type I and type II error babe".

Laser using EX being a little tipsy as a reason to scum read is very poor. Pretending to be posting while drunk to look townie is quite honestly the silliest idea I have ever read in these games
You have not played with teenagers much then, silly strats happen all the bloody time in hour-long vidjagame variants. XD

"what's a ninja" slip
What's a paladin?

you're just omgusing me because I tied your wagon D1 lol
That seems doubtful.

Excuse any typos if any, I’m driving down the highway.
.....Narrows eyes
You'd better not be driving and texting mate, even if the roads are way clearer right now, be safe dangit. XD

BoomFrog

Smash Lord
Okay, here we go. I think there's been some miscommunication so I'm going to lay everything out as clearly as I can.

Basically, you were suspicious enough of Frozen being scum that you were looking for partners to him, and questioning me and Laser to figure that out. So, if you were that suspicious of him, it seems weird that the unalignments/coalignments thoughts you had on him didn't work their way into reads at eod, when you started pushing Xivii. Like, it seems like you were pretty certain on Frozen, then you just dropped that to fight Zen.
From my questioning I decided it was unlikely you were aligned with FF and I didn't see any particular connection with LaserGuy, so why bring it up? It wasn't on my mind because it hadn't lead to anything fruitful.

As a side note, I don't get how you came to the conclusion that Frozen was likely with some of the lurkers, when you initially you thought people should have been jumping on him with you, but weren't. Like, you logic was you were expecting scum to vote with you on Frozen if he was town, but no one voted with you or seemed to care about a blank vote, therefore he was likely scum and scum were deliberately pushing elsewhere. That would imply that town leaders, people like Xivii, Laser, maybe me, were scum with Frozen. But instead you're saying you thought he would have been with lurkers, which doesn't make sense, because scum lurkers might have just not been around to vote with you on town!Frozen. Does that all make sense?
Sure, I get your way of thinking. But I try to consider things on a gestalt level D1. There are so many possibilities it's foolish to ignore the lower probability ones because whatever your top theory D1 is it's still probably wrong. Most likely case was that FF was mates with lurkers, but Xivii and LaserGuy were decent possibilities and others were still significant possibilities. Not that I really think it through so explicitly. It's just a general feeling that if no one is going for someone that seems like an open target for scum, then that person is more likely to be scum. It improves the odds across all worlds.

Add on that I kind of don't like how you're talking retroactively about how I probably wasn't scum with Frozen, when at the time you asked me why I wasn't trying to read him it felt like you were trying to link us as scummates. Basically, it seems like you put more work into setting up misyeets for after a Frozen flip or places to vote instead of Frozen then you ever did trying to get people to actually vote Frozen.
I'm not sure if you and I are talking about the same timeline here:
I suspected Frozen of being scum. I suspected you independently.
I questioned you about frozen to get a better read on you and potentially get a better read on Frozen if you had some insight.
You gave a mediocre read of FF that seemed to indicate you hadn't tried to sort FF. My suspicion of you increased.
I questioned you about why you hadn't tried to sort FF earlier. You got frustrated and gave an impassioned defense of your scumhunting. My suspicion of you went way down. I returned my focus to FF and looking for his allies by seeing how people would react to my push on him.
The weekend snuck up on me, deadline approached and people PoEed down to just me and FF. I posted my "I better post my case soon" post.

I didn't end up making any connections to FF so if that was my goal then I did a terrible job at it...

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
You want me to do an ISO or articulate a whole case or something like that regarding Z25 slot? Sorry can't do that, as I havent finished reading D1 yet, and my case is more of a point here, an impression there; I'd rather link you to the posts with the specific points I have for thinking Z25 will flip scum:

Also BoomFrog is my 2nd pick and I'd totally support you if it comes to it. It's just I feel more confident about Z25 than BF at this moment.

Maybe it's a good time to update a bit my reads. So far I'm reaching page 16 (40 post-per-page):

fontisian
DarkPit
Chaco
Malakata

trisscar
Zen

Laser

Somitomi
BoomFrog
Z25

I feel super confident about my town reads and I wouldn't mind lynching nulls and scummers just by PoE
Here’s a question.

Have you seen my scum games?

If not, to put it simply I was foiled both times by one person specifically. That same person is in this game and town reading me completely. Considering I have not be able to best them( which for reference is zen), how do you take their word?

Because tbh I don’t think I ever beat him if I’m scum.
This is a pretty good wall, especially that final point. I agree that pushing for the slot but not going for is odd. Reminds me of a few scum plays I’ve seen previously in games day one.

Im ok with voting for him as well:
Vote:Boom

Chaco

Never Logs In
Frozen isn’t the type to have both scum mates placed in one category. All likelihood one is/was a lurker and one active. Notice the prods for activity from Somi, NSG, etc? Why be slightly less active yourself and call others forward? Cause others were, town suit to blend while easy to dismiss due to the real issue of inactivity. It’s also an easy place for him to interject and call Boom off of me cause I was getting discredited early D1 numerous ways, so it’s a safe way to diffuse. May be giving myself to much stigma from Frozens PoV :shrug:

Darkpit54

Smash Ace
NNID
Robopenguin55
3DS FC
4699-6685-3678
There are two players left on the scumteam, and while I can draw connections to Frozen for plenty, I'm struggling to connect two of remaining scummy slots

To clarify. I won't be able to post much before deadline. If LaserGuy, Darkpit or Chaco asks me to claim then I will.
Can we get this claim from Boom before we yeet, if that's what we're doing?

Rajam

Smash Champion
Think about the chocolate claim. When I brought up Xivii agreed, and said "visitor should claim too". Why would chocolate xivii not claim at that time. By the time he claimed it was pretty clear no one was going to claim, and it was safe to go for it. It's a bold play, but xivii is bold and if it works they are "confirmed town" for the whole game. The payoff was worth it and the risk was low.
This comes as a bit of a lazy generalization. Unlike you I actually checked who posted and who didn't in the time gap between you asking for chocolate to claim and Zen claiming:

Posted:
BoomFrog
Xivii
DarkPit
Chaco
Somitomi
Malakandra
Trisscar
Z25
Jackrito

Didnt post:
frozen
NSG
fontisian
LaserGuy

4 people who didnt post at that time. During D1 you should've concluded: Even if Zen were Mafia, there would still be at least two townies in the group of people who didnt post; at least two townies who could've cclaimed Zen. I really think you should've done this check before claiming the bolded part. The omission looks scummy

Top Bottom