• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Midnight Ops Mafia: Game Thread. Game Over!

Chaco

Never Logs In
It’s definitely kept in mind, but to plays devils advocate and go after townreads just because you don’t feel comfortable with a narrowed pool? It’s not scummy it’s just counterintuitive.

Chaco

Never Logs In
Based off visual connection to FF’s slot.

Boom v Me.

FF backs Boom and starts to pocket me.

Boom attacks FF

FF shrugs it off.

FF was clearly butting heads with Fonti, which makes sense why Fonti was the spear tip because I hadn’t read it that way before.

FF evaluates booms points as well as valid etc. addressing the slot but not overly.

When I post that Boom lunch didn’t seem informed to me, FF backs it and says it why he townreads Boom. More pocketing towards me, and double agenda with Boom as scum mate?

The big thing is that Boom was suss if Frozen before and wouldn’t join the yeet.

that’s the biggest flag, imo.
Darkpit54 Darkpit54

Rajam

Smash Champion
Fontisian - When I was first reading through I thought their interactions with Jackrito felt coordinated, but I remembered that it'd be very hard to coordinate that as a scumteam day 1 since they wouldn't of had an opportunity to talk yet. She has also dropped some posts with good logic, specifically in response to some of Xivii's questions.
Mafia and Masons can actually chat during both day and night phases according to Utopian's post on the setup on page 1, but the confusion is understandable. Unsure if this is a true townslip or just trying to be (plus traitor wouldn't necessarily know this, or maybe she just hasn't been added yet lol) but I thought it might be worth pointing out
mmm this also seems worth pointing out imo, since I don't have a read on Malakandra/Raxxel slot yet

open question: do you see Malakandra pulling this 'confusion / town slip' as scum? Is Malakandra townie or scummy?

fontisian

Smash Champion
The real reason Chaco isn't mafia is that Frozen blatantly tried to pocket him for most of Yesterday.

Rajam

Smash Champion
Hey all, just speed read through the game so far.

If do something amazing to change your view on me, isn't that exactly what Fonti did last game that got you wanting to lynch my slot?

I forgot past quotes don't carry over so I have been making new tabs on posts, I'll just go over generalities unless someone wants me on a specific post.

I don't really see that much difference in Trisscars play. They were aggressive last game day 1, just in a different way. They also were mechanic heavy which I see here. Light town lean on Trisscar.

On the other hand Xivii has been playing way different than last game, which I don't think is alignment indicative at his level of play. His constant remarks of his actions being towney is weird, since pointing it out gives no benefit. Pointing stuff out only is useful if town doesn't know that the actions are towny, and then its still not useful because why should they trust you saying your own actions are towny. Xivii also was pushing Laserguy pretty hard early, then recently said the votes on Laserguy were weird. I might of missed some progression here, apologies if you explained this. Xivii could you explain your shift from Laserguy? Light scum read on Xivii.

I wasn't really able to get a good impression of Laserguy's play last game since he died so early, but I don't see the scum links here. Laserguy has seemed to be methodical, and I agree with his take in post #216 about Pit. Other than that I didn't notice much about him in the read through.

Fonti's vote of laserguy looks really weird to me, as they made a whole post going in on Jack, then dipped out to vote on Laser with little explanation. Fonti could you explain that more? Apologies again if I missed it.
this catchup post is a bit underwhelming tbh, mostly meta based reads and a bit of a prod into one slot's rationale for a vote? I mean its better than anything raxx gave us but not really feeling any better about this slot
Frozen's comment about Malakandra seems to me more of an attempt to open a 'scumhunt' route instead of a distancing attempt. Makes me feel better about Malakandra. Sum to that the previous quote I put of DarkPit; Malakandra is town guys

Rajam

Smash Champion
Btw, just to get some formalities out of the way. Chocolate should claim right now if they exist. Chocolate is basically Miller for the Neo. If they claim now they will be mostly believed. But if you claim chocolate on a later Day then it's too late.

Secondly, if I'm dead and we haven't caught scum yet on D3, then yeet Xivii (unless he's Mason confirmed by another Mason). Seriously, just assume you are being played.
How many townie points can we give BoomFrog for this? Zen, can you give us any insight? You two have had multiple games together right?

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
Laser using EX being a little tipsy as a reason to scum read is very poor. Pretending to be posting while drunk to look townie is quite honestly the silliest idea I have ever read in these games

BoomFrog

Smash Lord
Xivii's vote puts a lot of momentum on the wagon here. He moves to me or puts up a case against someone else and it could have been pretty close thing. Compare to how much he's fighting the z25 lynch in Sumting. I find it bizarre that you're still tunneling this to the point that it kind of just feels like active lurking.
I have conceded that I was wrong and tunneling.

Hey Boom, can you talk about what you were trying to do with these three posts? What were you thinking about at the time?
I really didn't like FF's read list which is why I put out the naked vote. No one reacted or took it as a single to push FF which made me feel more likely that he was scum because no one was trying to be opertunistic about my push. I questioned specific players I was suspicious of to force them to read FF so that a) they wouldn't be able to change stance easily later in the day and b) if FF flipped scum we'd have more connections to analyze. In particular I was suspicious of you, I thought you'd not tried to sort FF at all. It seemed you'd skimmed his post and only focused on his thoughts of you not on other people which would have indicated scum Fontaine and town FF. Your defense was impassioned and felt townie so I let it drop (mostly). Later I was still suspicious of the mega double fontaine+xivii false claim.

fontisian

Smash Champion
I have conceded that I was wrong and tunneling.

I really didn't like FF's read list which is why I put out the naked vote. No one reacted or took it as a single to push FF which made me feel more likely that he was scum because no one was trying to be opertunistic about my push. I questioned specific players I was suspicious of to force them to read FF so that a) they wouldn't be able to change stance easily later in the day and b) if FF flipped scum we'd have more connections to analyze. In particular I was suspicious of you, I thought you'd not tried to sort FF at all. It seemed you'd skimmed his post and only focused on his thoughts of you not on other people which would have indicated scum Fontaine and town FF. Your defense was impassioned and felt townie so I let it drop (mostly). Later I was still suspicious of the mega double fontaine+xivii false claim.
Is there a reason you didn't bring up that connection to Frozen at eod? Also, is there a reason you didn't flesh out your suspicions on Frozen more earlier on?

You may have already explained this and I've just missed it, but where are you readswise now

LaserGuy

Smash Ace
Laser using EX being a little tipsy as a reason to scum read is very poor. Pretending to be posting while drunk to look townie is quite honestly the silliest idea I have ever read in these games
This feels like you're looking for an excuse to scumread me. You didn't comment at all on the case Trisscar made on this or when Chaco concurred with his analysis later so I find it very suspicious that you focus only on my mention of this. I am not questioning whether Ex was drunk or not, I just think it is possible that Ex was intentionally hamming it up in his posting.

Regardless, Ex slot is one that I've had my eye on for awhile. I had been giving him a bit more credit recently as he was being targeted by FrozenFlame, but I still think there's a good chance that Ex is mafia or, maybe more likely, traitor.

BoomFrog

Smash Lord
Is there a reason you didn't bring up that connection to Frozen at eod? Also, is there a reason you didn't flesh out your suspicions on Frozen more earlier on?

You may have already explained this and I've just missed it, but where are you readswise now
Sorry, what connection? Before I decided Xivii was scum my theory was FF plus some of the lurkers. In that world you would be town. Once I decided that Xivii was scum then it was Xivii plus possibly you and possibly FF, but I didn't really go the extra layer and reconsider the connections between you and FF.

The I meant to do a proper case on FF earlier but basically got lazy about it. I mostly play via mobile during little breaks like lunch. Building a real case means sitting at a computer and pulling quotes and formatting. I've not had a ton of free time and choose to play video games instead of doing that. And I didn't really think ahead to the fact that the deadline would hit when I was super busy even with the extension. I'm willing to be yeeted for that bad play. Honestly, unless I pick scum today it'd be bad play to not yeet me tomorrow.

Speaking of which, I plan to do real reads today after work, so please don't post your analysis until after me, so you know I'm not cribbing you.

ExLight

Smash Lord
How many townie points can we give BoomFrog for this?
Not much, I think.
Scum would also be interested in that to figure out which roles would be around based on their ninja shot.

The real reason Chaco isn't mafia is that Frozen blatantly tried to pocket him for most of Yesterday.
I'll probably have to reread D1 again because I didn't really notice that,

there's a good chance that Ex is mafia or, maybe more likely, traitor
you better have good evidence if you're going to make bold accusations like these
and if you think I'm the traitor who would the main mafia team players be? I'd be trying to get their attention, right?

Darkpit54

Smash Ace
NNID
Robopenguin55
3DS FC
4699-6685-3678
Why Rajam over Boom Darkpit54 Darkpit54 ?
Honestly, I think both could be scum. Rajam just seemed to be the general consensus. Jack contributed very little and honestly he hasn't added a ton to the slot so far.

One thing confuses me though. What does everyone make of Raj's vote on Boom?

How many townie points can we give BoomFrog for this?
Scum would also be interested in that to figure out which roles would be around based on their ninja shot.
This is true, assuming there are two ninja shots. By a chocolate claiming they would know there is a traitor. If there is no traitor, they should have three ninja shots and know that there's a chocolate.

I still think there's a good chance that Ex is mafia or, maybe more likely, traitor.
This could be a possibility. I don't see Ex as mafia due to Frozen's push on him, but traitor could be a possibility

fontisian

Smash Champion
ugh this is so gross, I hate it when veteran players do this. Do you really think anyone is that naive as to believe that you would sell out your scum playbook just to buy some possible town cred in a single game? this is so WIFOM and gross like it really doesn't deserve serious consideration. Sayin you would dunk on a scummate D1 is patently absurb, if you know what you're doing there will always be a game where one of your partners is begging for the noose and a hard bus is absolutely the prudent move. I haven't played with you much if ever before and just from what I've seen in this game I can tell you're a player of a caliber above this kind of nonsense reasoning. Selling out your ability to play to wincon as non-town faction to look like you're so dedicated to your town meta that you MUST be town in a given game is just bad play regardless of alignment tbh
Noting this. Frozen clearly believed that scum should be bussing and distancing under certain circumstances.

BoomFrog

Smash Lord
Read list based on memory:

Fontisian - Presumably cleared and lead the FF lynch.
Darkpit54 - Early on the FF lynch and super townie attitude. Good luck replicating this attitude in your first game as scum. :)
Trisscar - Mostly townie tone, especially her rebuttals to Jackrito's prods about confidence. I believe the "what's a ninja" slip and now that we know scum has ninja shots I'd say confidently not mafia, and probably not traitor. Oh yeah, and voted early on FF. Solid town.
Xivii - I've talked about Zen enough, I'm sure. :)

Raxxel* / Malakandra - Also very "laying all my thoughts out bare" townie feel to their posts. I'm surprised Xivii sees Mala as yeetable.
Chaco - Very townie tone, lots of good energy. I find it unlikely that despondent FF and enthusiastic Chaco are scummates.
LaserGuy - Has been low participation and outsourced their scumhunting to Xivii. Dangerous as scum since it lead to the FF yeet, but when Laser declared allegiance Xivii was hard defending FF. I'm waffling on this slot, but wouldn't support yeeting toDay.

Jackrito / Rajam - Jackrito struck me as townie. Rajam has been very neutral, maybe a bit scum-lean since they haven't seemed to add anything new, but I think they are still processing and gathering info. If I had to bet, my gut says town, but could easily be scum. I'll reevaluate when Rajam lays down some serious thoughts.
3DSNinja* / Z25 - Z25 and I never see things from the same perspective so reading him is a bit harder. I recall seeing things I didn't like, and this is one of the places I need a reread.
Somitomi* / ExLight - I really haven't liked anything they have posted. Tunneling on all the wrong players that everyone else town reads for tone is a bit too bold for scum, but could be coming from a place of desperation if all the scum are in the shrinking PoE.

Deeper analysis would jocky the bottom three around. I'll try to find time today to do that.

Rajam

Smash Champion
I really don’t see why Zen is so focused on claiming these posts come from town without question.

Any good scum( especially zen scum) can make some damn good town posts if they try harder enough. And no one knows better then Zen that early impressions matter most. For someone who usually doesn’t care what people think of their alignment this sticks out as very odd.
I don't like this. What I don't like is that Z25 doesn't show a posture about Zen, so at the end it's fluff

Malakandra

Smash Lord
Also boom how did Jackrito strike you as towny? They literally had very few posts and a good portion of them were pushing Trisscar for pretty bad reasons that were easily disproved with a bit of reasoning.

Rajam

Smash Champion
Why hide your reads?
You went on quite a bit about Frozen for not wanting to get into them. So why hide the rest of your reads?

It comes off as you trying to buy time to formulate better and more townie sounded thoughts or that you don’t have any actually content for them despite talking them up.
Neither I like this. This is Z25 talking about fontisian. It feels.... easy. Lazy. Like something classic scum would do

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
This feels like you're looking for an excuse to scumread me. You didn't comment at all on the case Trisscar made on this or when Chaco concurred with his analysis later so I find it very suspicious that you focus only on my mention of this. I am not questioning whether Ex was drunk or not, I just think it is possible that Ex was intentionally hamming it up in his posting.

Regardless, Ex slot is one that I've had my eye on for awhile. I had been giving him a bit more credit recently as he was being targeted by FrozenFlame, but I still think there's a good chance that Ex is mafia or, maybe more likely, traitor.
Did I outright call you scum? No, your jumping to conclusions. Ex is still a problem slot and their claim is super easy to fake. But i still think Ran is the better play.

But pretending to be drunk would not only be stupid from the perspective of Ex( as if he thinks that will clear him, that makes no damn sense)

But stupid from an outside perspective as there are better reasons to yeet him then something pointless. Your case in that post also didn’t bother to mention either of those two cases you quoted. So if that was your oush

Vote: Malakandra
why?
I don't like this. What I don't like is that Z25 doesn't show a posture about Zen, so at the end it's fluff
Posture? What the hell does that even mean?

Rajam

Smash Champion
I mean:

"Why hide your reads?
You went on quite a bit about Frozen for not wanting to get into them. So why hide the rest of your reads?"

Post could've ended there, and wait for a response

But then:

"It comes off as you trying to buy time to formulate better and more townie sounded thoughts or that you don’t have any actually content for them despite talking them up."

This immediately paints fontisian's intentions as scummy, and therefore Z25's first couple of questions feel fake, because it seems he wasn't really trying to figure out what fontisian was up to

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
Neither I like this. This is Z25 talking about fontisian. It feels.... easy. Lazy. Like something classic scum would do
Ok now your just stretching here.

Tell me how in any beneficial way does hiding your reads does anything but hurt town? Your also using a quote from way earlier which is a pretty poor example of your trying to yeet me.

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
It’s also laughable you think that’s how I play scum. You should go read my scum games

Rajam

Smash Champion
unvote
vote: Z25

The reason isn't because of scum, it's because I'll get lynched.
seems more scum indicative than town, as last game he was shot n1, not yeeted, so as town he should have been more concerned about being shot again. The argument for him being town, of course, is that his scummates would be telling him to cut this out already, though considering his responses in thread, I'm not sure he would listen.
I still consider this a legit slip from 3DS

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
unvote
vote: Z25

I still consider this a legit slip from 3DS
You really should read the games the kid has played.

There’s a reason he didn’t state his age, because again he legitimately thought it would cause problems. Because he has stated his age before I’m pretty sure.

He struggles immensely to play the game. If you read his past games that would be abundantly clear.

ExLight

Smash Lord
but could be coming from a place of desperation if all the scum are in the shrinking PoE
oh yea I forgot you're so good that that cosmic townie brain was able to accurately pinpoint all scum after a single cycle despite having no mechanical info clearing like 8 of them
c'mon now LMFAO

I don't even know which PoE you're tunneling
you're putting me with Rajam and Z25 and they're like null reads to me where in the world am I trying to defend them

ExLight

Smash Lord
There’s a reason he didn’t state his age, because again he legitimately thought it would cause problems. Because he has stated his age before I’m pretty sure.
I've met 30yo people that wouldn't state their age because they thought I was a FBI agent trying to get personal info from them so like
and yes, people, plural

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
I've met 30yo people that wouldn't state their age because they thought I was a FBI agent trying to get personal info from them so like
and yes, people, plural
I’m well aware, but as I said, I’m pretty positive his age came up in a prior game and he seemed that didn’t seem to help him. I’m not going to look back because he obviously didn’t want to say it. But I’m pretty sure it came up at some point, so yeah he had decent reasoning for what he did from his perspective.

Even if I completely disagree with that idea, I’m not going to disrespect his wishes.

Xivii

caterpillar feet
NNID
HBC
and yes, people, plural
I mean do you really expect us to believe the 22 year old white asian brazilian english speaking weaboo cover?

ExLight

Smash Lord
I mean do you really expect us to believe the 22 year old white asian brazilian english speaking weaboo cover?
so absurd right lmfao
everyone knows brazilians are tan skinned tall soccer players that have toucan pets

LaserGuy

Smash Ace
Did I outright call you scum? No, your jumping to conclusions.
Funny, I thought you were reading me as scum in #977.

But pretending to be drunk would not only be stupid from the perspective of Ex( as if he thinks that will clear him, that makes no damn sense)
Why is pretending to be drunk any different from speaking in Haikus? Or emojis?

But stupid from an outside perspective as there are better reasons to yeet him then something pointless. Your case in that post also didn’t bother to mention either of those two cases you quoted. So if that was your oush
Actually, I did.
This whole sequence is very weird to me. I think I agree with Triss that it's possible this whole thing could have been an act. Putting Exlight at scum lean.
(I think the end quote here was cut off but I think I can guess what you were going for). So this isn't actually a case or a push, as far as I'm concerned. I'm giving an updated read on this slot based on new information. I have been trying to give my reads on the fly to minimize the amount of rereading I have to do later. Scum lean is a slot I will consider dropping a vote on, but isn't necessarily my strongest scumread.

Speaking of which, what is your read on BoomFrog? You had left him as blank in #977.

fontisian

Smash Champion
Sorry, what connection? Before I decided Xivii was scum my theory was FF plus some of the lurkers. In that world you would be town. Once I decided that Xivii was scum then it was Xivii plus possibly you and possibly FF, but I didn't really go the extra layer and reconsider the connections between you and FF.

The I meant to do a proper case on FF earlier but basically got lazy about it. I mostly play via mobile during little breaks like lunch. Building a real case means sitting at a computer and pulling quotes and formatting. I've not had a ton of free time and choose to play video games instead of doing that. And I didn't really think ahead to the fact that the deadline would hit when I was super busy even with the extension. I'm willing to be yeeted for that bad play. Honestly, unless I pick scum today it'd be bad play to not yeet me tomorrow.

Speaking of which, I plan to do real reads today after work, so please don't post your analysis until after me, so you know I'm not cribbing you.
Sorry, I didn't ask that clearly.

Basically, you were suspicious enough of Frozen being scum that you were looking for partners to him, and questioning me and Laser to figure that out. So, if you were that suspicious of him, it seems weird that the unalignments/coalignments thoughts you had on him didn't work their way into reads at eod, when you started pushing Xivii. Like, it seems like you were pretty certain on Frozen, then you just dropped that to fight Zen.

As a side note, I don't get how you came to the conclusion that Frozen was likely with some of the lurkers, when you initially you thought people should have been jumping on him with you, but weren't. Like, you logic was you were expecting scum to vote with you on Frozen if he was town, but no one voted with you or seemed to care about a blank vote, therefore he was likely scum and scum were deliberately pushing elsewhere. That would imply that town leaders, people like Xivii, Laser, maybe me, were scum with Frozen. But instead you're saying you thought he would have been with lurkers, which doesn't make sense, because scum lurkers might have just not been around to vote with you on town!Frozen. Does that all make sense?

Add on that I kind of don't like how you're talking retroactively about how I probably wasn't scum with Frozen, when at the time you asked me why I wasn't trying to read him it felt like you were trying to link us as scummates. Basically, it seems like you put more work into setting up misyeets for after a Frozen flip or places to vote instead of Frozen then you ever did trying to get people to actually vote Frozen.

fontisian

Smash Champion
So, I think there are solid arguments to clear everyone except Boom and Rajam. I'm going over Mala and Z again, to be sure on them, but I wouldn't be surprised if the scumteam is just Frozen/Boom/Rajam.

It's worth noting that the clearing reasoning for some people, like Z and Chaco, are more about how Frozen treated them than the other way around, which means they could be the traitor, if there is one. Luckily, we don't actually have to yeet the traitor to win, so I think it's safe to just accept the spew from Frozen clearing them.

Top Bottom