• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Middle GA Brawl Tournament (August 30)

Kyd

Smash Journeyman
Entry
Stairway Toys
3640 Eisenhower Pkwy
Macon, GA 31206
(478) 784-6403‎
Google Maps
Map Quest
If you need help finding us, call me at (478) 397 - 1022. Please try and find your way here via the Map Quest and Google Maps links we gave you in this post. No stalkers please.
There is PLENTY of parking space, but there may also be some sitting outside due to fire code.
the Entry fee will be $10 ($5 door fee / $5 pot)
75% of the pot will go to first place
25% of the pot will go to second place
The tournament now has an official starting time. It will be at Noon exactly on August 30th.

The store opens at 11:00, and the tournament starts at Noon. It is recommended to be there early for signup.

the rules are pretty traditional.
7 minutes/3 stock matches
2 out of 3
no items
stage slashing
advance slob picks (first stage chosen by stage striking)

Neutral Stages
Battlefield
Final Destination
Smashville
Yoshi Island
Lylat Cruise

Counterpick Stages
Pokemon Stadium 1
Brinstar
Castle Seige
Isle Delfino
Frigate Orpheon
Rainbow Cruise
Norfair
Great Sea
Port Town Aero Dive
Pokemon Stadium 2
Mario Circuit
Battleship Halberd
Corneria
Green Greens

Banned Stages
Greenhillzone
Skyworld
Mushroomy Kingdom
Bridge of Eldin
Rumble Falls
Wario Ware
Distant Planet
New Pork City
The Summit
Pictochat
Shadow Moses Island
Donkey Kong Arcade
Spear Pillar
Mario Bros.
Flat Zone 2
Hannonbow
Onett
Big Blue

Stalling to prevent Gameplay is banned. Chain Grabbing beyond 300% damage is banned. MK's Infinate Cape glitch is banned.

PM me if there are problems with my setup that need to be addressed. I will respond as soon as possible and I do have internet access now so it won't take long.

I would like to inform you guys that we do not currently have a video capture card, so there may be no video recordings in this tournament put on Youtube.

Let me know if stages are missing

Anomic_Punk

Smash Champion
I think THIS will help:

NEUTRAL:
Battlefield
Final Destination
Smashville
Pokemon Stadium 1
Yoshi Island
Lylat Cruise

COUNTERPICK:
Brinstar
Castle Seige
Isle Delfino
Frigate Orpheon
Rainbow Cruise
Norfair
Great Sea
Port Town
Pokemon Stadium 2
Mario Circuit
Battleship Halberd

BANNED:
Greenhillzone
Skyworld
Mushroomy Kingdom
Bridge of Eldin
Rumble Falls
Wario Ware
Distant Planet
New Pork City
The Summit
Pictochat
Shadow Moses Island
Donkey Kong Arcade
Spear Pillar
Mario Bros.
Flat Zone 2
Electroplankton

Kyd

Smash Journeyman
at the moment we're doing this at Northside High School in Warner Robins. The problem I'm having is the time issure, our sponsor doesnt realize how long this tournament can last. I've decided that this is the last tournament I'm hosting for LOI because of this, and I'm working on a location in Macon to host from then on where we won't be nearly as limited.

Umm i dont really want to ban Skyworld, Pictochat, and possibly even the Summit. I understand fully why the Summit should be banned so that one may be unavoidable. Skyworld should be fine, even with the distructible platforms and possible whip-lash hits. I honestly see no problems with PictoChat.

ynomrahnsguht

Smash Apprentice
NNID
HarmonyFlame
3DS FC
0387-8828-8761
at the moment we're doing this at Northside High School in Warner Robins. The problem I'm having is the time issure, our sponsor doesnt realize how long this tournament can last. I've decided that this is the last tournament I'm hosting for LOI because of this, and I'm working on a location in Macon to host from then on where we won't be nearly as limited.

Umm i dont really want to ban Skyworld, Pictochat, and possibly even the Summit. I understand fully why the Summit should be banned so that one may be unavoidable. Skyworld should be fine, even with the distructible platforms and possible whip-lash hits. I honestly see no problems with PictoChat.
pictochat is a level that is completely random and should be banned. it might look nice and subtle but think about how it can change the tide of battle. 2 badly drawn flares that in my experience gets damage to 100+, and a wagon that can kill at about 70 damage.

Anomic_Punk

Smash Champion
The destructible platforms on skyworld do more than just impair recovery- in some cases it makes it impossible for certain characters to recover- also its just like the bottom part of Hyrule temple- matches drag out for longer than they should.

Your tourney- your rules, but Skyworld isn't a fair stage.

ScottSadistic

Smash Journeyman
come to think of it...me and him have been playing skyworld a few times...but anomic punk is right...it does drag out battles. and i can understan why PictoChat would be banned, but it can also be very debatable...I have had my *** kicked by those flames plenty of times...the mine cart, not so much though. the flames typically dont have enough knockback to kill too badly...u can get shot through those flames at 100 and probably live

mlgc4

Smash Apprentice
hey is this on allisbrawl?
I'll look it up in a minute/I plan on attending some east coast tournaments this year during summer ,when I;m in new york.

ScottSadistic

Smash Journeyman
I think THIS will help:

NEUTRAL:
Battlefield
Final Destination
Smashville
Pokemon Stadium 1
Yoshi Island
Lylat Cruise

COUNTERPICK:
Brinstar
Castle Seige
Isle Delfino
Frigate Orpheon
Rainbow Cruise
Norfair
Great Sea
Port Town
Pokemon Stadium 2
Mario Circuit
Battleship Halberd

BANNED:
Greenhillzone
Skyworld
Mushroomy Kingdom
Bridge of Eldin
Rumble Falls
Wario Ware
Distant Planet
New Pork City
The Summit
Pictochat
Shadow Moses Island
Donkey Kong Arcade
Spear Pillar
Mario Bros.
Flat Zone 2
Electroplankton

well, i do agree with this though. kyd, should consider this

Ryanarius

Smash Journeyman
So if the location isn't set in stone I'd like to suggest further north for us poor SC people. I assume location is mostly based on availability but further north (much further ideally like north of atlanta) the better.

Also I don't think corneria is on full metals list.

SpeedAcE

Smash Journeyman
So if the location isn't set in stone I'd like to suggest further north for us poor SC people. I assume location is mostly based on availability but further north (much further ideally like north of atlanta) the better.

Also I don't think corneria is on full metals list.
I assume SC isn't gettin much love? =D

Well, the thing is, long distance traveling isn't a luxury we have at the moment. Trust me, as much as we would like to place these tournys smack dab in the heart of Atlanta, we can't.

Brawl is in it's initial stages though, so a luxury we do have is time.

ScottSadistic

Smash Journeyman
I assume SC isn't gettin much love? =D

Well, the thing is, long distance traveling isn't a luxury we have at the moment. Trust me, as much as we would like to place these tournys smack dab in the heart of Atlanta, we can't.

Brawl is in it's initial stages though, so a luxury we do have is time.

o hell yeah he would...but...
first...me, kyd, nor speed has a car
secondly...even if we did...gas prices here r outrageous and will only get higher

Dogysamich

The Designated Hype Man!
BRoomer

I have been the ONLY person in central/south GA to show up to anything melee related in the past 2 years or so? Throw in yang in his temp location and that makes two.

So why in gods name would you ask some people who are coming up to move their location away from them?

Im not tryin to disrespect anybody, but im not lettin anybody try to get this shifted to somewhere like atlanta, where basically everything else in GA happens, and central/south ga gets left out again.

Kyd

Smash Journeyman
well im attempting to get a little more happening in central GA. I shifted the location to Macon because LOI has too many limits as far as time is concerned. In Macon I'll host the tournament and there won't be nearly as much of a rush to get the tournament over with. It is being held at Stairway Toys. The time which the tournament will start will be determined next Saturday because they run Yu-Gi-Oh tournaments and we want to find the ideal time to go with this one that won't have to fit in with another tournament. Next Saturday will have everything finalized.

Dogysamich

The Designated Hype Man!
BRoomer
heh, i heard some yu-gi-oh kids talkin about that place today when i was out lookin at manga.

you sure that place didnt get taken out by that tornado? XD

I mean, if it's behinds toys r us, that means its on eisenhower, more specifically, the part of eisenhower that got annhilated by that 'nado.

Kyd

Smash Journeyman
no i was just on the phone with them and the place is still up and running. They agreed to house the tournament and all thats left like i said is just to finalize the time.

So why in gods name would you ask some people who are coming up to move their location away from them?

Im not tryin to disrespect anybody, but im not lettin anybody try to get this shifted to somewhere like atlanta, where basically everything else in GA happens, and central/south ga gets left out again.
thanks for going through with saying that, and for the record i have no intention of holding tourneys out of Middle GA any time soon, no ATL. I also want there to be more middle GA madness, and with it being in the center of the state it makes it convenient for everyone here so nobody has to go from Ware County to Atlanta or anything like that. I know there are plenty of ATL tournies so they can stay in ATL, but i like the idea of keeping some here in the center too.

Kyd

Smash Journeyman
i have limitted access to internet, which has caused me to schedule some tourneys on days that already had tourneys planned, going this far ahead prevents such a problem and allows people to know a great deal ahead of time when to expect a tournament.

EternalCrusade

Smash Journeyman
I thought you needed to wait until you were out of school to host a tourney? Don't we get BACK into school by August 30th?

And if you know of any upcoming GA tournaments, like in the next week or so, could you point me to the right thread please?

Kyd

Smash Journeyman
well i actually host tournaments for my school at times for LOI (Northside High School club). I wont be in GA for half the summer so it would be more difficult to hold one during the summer. Sadly i dont know of any other tournaments in GA at the moment, DogySamich or Gerbil might know because they hit up tourneys a lot.

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor
i dont think pictochat should be banned. only the rockets kill and they move super slow. all the other hazards either don't kill/take much damage or are supremely easy to dodge.

skyworld however is a dumb stage and anyone who plays there should know that you die to the stage more than to your opponent.

Pokemon Stadium 2 should be banned as well. Low gravity anyone?

Kyd

Smash Journeyman
but the low gravity isnt too dramatic, and is random. i think it should be counterpick simply because it wont change the flow of the fight too much other than slowing it down a little.

UPDATE:
Right now we're looking at a time between 5 and 6 p.m. If this time makes it difficult for people to show up it will most likely be changed, just keep in mind that there will be a Yu-Gi-Oh tournament earlier in the day. I'll attempt to talk them out of the tournament (due to the fact that they would profit more from this anyway, $5 door fees tend to add up well for stores).
PM SpeedAce if you have complaints or issues that need to be addressed immediately, if you have problems that can be settled over time then PM me. I typically get online roughly once a week.
Also, as soon as I get the address (which i apologize for not having already), I'll slap it on here to let y'all mapquest it. If anyone knows where Stairway Toys is in Macon then you'll be fine. Just note that it's not a big store, so expect it to be somewhat crowded (depending on turnout).
I would like to inform you guys that we do not currently have a video capture card, so there may be no video recordings in this tournament put on Youtube. I will look into getting the card sometime during the summer, I'm just giving you the possibility that it won't be there.

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
PictoChat's the most fun stage in the game. It should be counterpick for sure.

I wonder if I can get my crew to come to this.

Kyd

Smash Journeyman
and now i'm starting to see results. This is good. Trust me I'm still debating on Pictochat, I honestly like it as a counterpick so that stage is a bit of a wildcard at the moment.

Thanx SpeedAce for saving me the trouble, I'll copy it and slap the address and maps on the first post in this thread now.

Kyd

Smash Journeyman
I'm pretty sure my crew will be there, but we never really get competetive gaming so I'm sure we won't last long. I'm hosting this mainly so I can have a chance to play good players (other than SpeedAce).

SpeedAcE

Smash Journeyman
Hopefully when some of us dropout of the tourny there will be time for friendlies, crew matches, MMs, whatever. But I guess that's all dependent on how much time and equipment we'll have.

Kyd

Smash Journeyman
Well I don't think we'll really have any practice rounds or anything outside of the time between us hooking up the systems and setting up the brackets.

I'll be calling the whole crew when I get back from Ocala, FL. We'll probably be meeting every two weeks until the school year starts back up.

Top Bottom