• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Mid-South Power Rankings (AL, AR, MS, TN) - Updated: 6/20

edwards-nightmare

Smash Cadet
*yawns* wow iori, you beat sumone??? no way!!! omg, who cares....we kno u are good (gosh) newayz how was space's dorm yesterday? oh and zane, did u mean like this friday/saturday or this saturday/sunday? im so anxious...i haven't been playing smash often...been out in the world trying to get a j.o.b.

Tom

Bulletproof Doublevoter
BRoomer
Was he the one bragging about stuff? No.

Now, let's not jump to any conclusions here, Edgeworth.
Examine what the defendant actually said.

Wow, zane your phrase sounds very familar.
This part doesn't matter.

Also zane just so you know i beat myztex in a money match, and also space balls but i had to fight him he told me if i didn't he would tell eveyone i refused the match.
Upon closer inspection, you realize that the defendant was merely informing the Judge of his recent accomplishments so that he could keep them in mind when your honor was deliberating over the verdict (read: Power Rankings.)

Therefore, he wasn't "bragging" at all! Only informing your honor so that he could protect his fate through the verdict!

Although I will admit that the phrase:
ps i ams to good for my own goodies, love yah
is a little much, I believe that your honor would agree that the post scriptum messages left by the defendant have been known to be slightly comical.

Also, let me point out that my client was defending himself from verbal abuse from the witness, Handorin.

Tom

Bulletproof Doublevoter
BRoomer

Wait a second, there!

Verbal abuse? No.

Truth? Yes.
The two don't have to be mutually exclusive, and in this case, they aren't!
Examine what the witness actually said.

I didnt see you doing any MMs with Rice at G4S3, wait you got 4 stocked? lolz
First of all, Rice isn't even in the Mid-South, and therefore a loss to him would not necessarily dictate that the defendant should move down on the list, while the two players that the defendant himself mentioned, Ihavespaceballs and Myztek, are.

Secondly, if the tone in which the witness spoke in and the word "lolz" don't contribute to the verbal abuse towards the defendant, then I don't know what do.

Tom

Bulletproof Doublevoter
BRoomer
d^^" Sadly, this is all I can do to keep myself from studying...

Can DML smash with Yang/Boon this week? We are mostly out of school and can drive...

Handorin

Smash Hero
You have to have been with us, Yang. He was practically johning the entire time.

Yang- I want to smash?

Tha_Shogun_12

Smash Journeyman
Will anybody be in the little rock area this friday? I've been dying to play some of you guys. I'm going with a friend their this friday/saterday to play some guys who say they're really good. I don't know if they're just talking or are serious but i'm going to play them. Well anyways, let me know that if you are going to be in the area, so we can smash it up!

Tom

Bulletproof Doublevoter
BRoomer
I really don't know where to put this, but I mean... :( :( :(
Please excuse me if this doesn't belong here, Zane.

See, this is the misconception that everybody has, that the South team is actually good. The south team has never been good, and will never be good, straight up.

I want teams that only have the best of the best, nothing sub par. Rob$ is slacking, Xelic has limited OOS experience as far as I know, and using someone like Kirby in your team is a huge "maybe."

Then you add the fact that AZ is going to be WC, and you lose Taj, Forward, and Wobbles in your team (Wobbles is AZ you b!tches) and who are you left with? The limited experience of the top FL players.
I thought... well... humph... :(

PrinceZane

INNsomniac
BRoomer
I don't mean to be the bearer of bad news but...

If you look at the placement of southern smashers on national tournament levels... he's got a point...

How many people from the south were in the top 20 of the MLG national ranks (compared to other lists), etc. etc.

Honestly, that's kind of why I've been trying to come up with a lot of competition and stuff for the region. I figured if things spark it will drive people to try to be better and then snowball effect across the region :)

Tom

Bulletproof Doublevoter
BRoomer
See, this is the misconception that everybody has, that the South team is actually good. The south team has never been good, and will never be good, straight up.
thats what irked me. Its true that the south places a lot lower than everyone else on a national level, but if what forward said were true, than any efforts at holding tournaments to drive the south to a new level would be useless...

McCloud

je suis l'agent du chaos.
"So foul and f-air a day I have not seen.&quo
Yawn. You need some time to rethink your life, my dear co captain, if you're gonna let some random kid talk you down about what you can and can't do.

Same goes for the rest of you.

Just prove him wrong *shrugs*

And to borrow from Yang for a sec..

But Mack Loud! Forward is really really good! Lk, srlsy, rly good! Plus you don't even go to tournaments anymore!
So are a lot of people. But you fight them anyway. Just cause Forward says some stuff that happens to be true doesn't mean anything.

And the last part is entirely irrelevant.

At any rate: Yang, I'll talk to my parents and see if I can go, and then we can have a 3 man group.

KOkingpin

Smash Champion
well this is my standpoint on forward saying that stuff. West coast people are (most of the time) Rich. i lived on west coast and every smasher i met had lots of money (cause of parents) giving them the option to travel to meet new smashers to get better with. i mean look at the area i live in now. its a smash waste land. me jmoan slim(who is moving soon) sethwick (new to the scene) keta and a few others. most of us dont really have the time/money to travel. i know this sounds like johns and it is in a way. but i mean comon to come as far as we have. we are fairly good smashers. trust me traveling to play smash will make you so much better. if wes, bobby, and mike g never traveled they would have never had the exp that they got when playing people like Ken and Isai. now if u look at the southern scene we are MUCH better than what we were 6months ago. and now with the southern curcuit things in the south will blow up. hell im even planing on going to the FL curcuit tourney. i didnt get to play Shiz and all those guys. (i hate work) anyway enough of my johns. ill see you guys at INNbi

oh yeah and yang some people are just cocky jerks who dont care about making friends. if someone i know from another state, that was a jerk, needed housing, i dont care how good they are, they aint staying at my place. and i would flat out tell them why. who cares what he thinks he can be good, but he will never be as good as ken. so meh

Virgilijus

Nonnulli Laskowski praestant
BRoomer
He will never be as good as ken. so meh
Exhibit A:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pZ-82qbOwgA

Anyways, KO has a very good point; the geography and demographics of the South hurt it quite a bit. We don't (on average) have as much spare money as the other coasts or the North in general, so while we enjoy smash and are getting better at it, we can't make the leaps and bounds of big, far away tournaments that the other regions can. Because of that we probably won't have any one in the top twenty any time soon, no offense to our best smashers.

Some one should spread this out to the other South regions; spark some interest.

Handorin

Smash Hero
What happened to the times when all the rich people were in the south living large on their plantations? >_>

Virgilijus

Nonnulli Laskowski praestant
BRoomer
Those times are gone Hand, Gone with the Wind...

Copyright Selznick International Pictures, 1939.

Also, who from the South is going to FC anyway?

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
Also, who from the South is going to FC anyway?
I was seriously contemplating the thought (Reflex? The guy that's always hurting for money? Lawlz.), but apparently my crew would rather go to Pound 2. Maybe I could convince them to go to both or something.

chamberlin

Smash Ace
I haven't checked the boards in about 4 days or so, but I just read the Forward quotes... All I can say is "What a douche"...

I played a friendly against Forward's Falco and beat him in that one friendly match. Yes it was a friendly and yes it was just one match. But... If Forward got beat even one match by some guy from Arkansas who has to drive like 2 hours everytime he wants to get a lot of competition, then maybe he shouldn't talk that much crap.

Tha_Shogun_12

Smash Journeyman
I'm sorry but I can't agree with that (the top 20 players anytime soon thing). I feel that any player can increase greatly in little time, I know I did:) .

Even though money is the problem with alot of us in the south lets not let this demean our skill to being ok players in the Nation. I know I don't post much, but I watch alot of matches and notice alot of things one of those is that after winning, you don't rest thinking ur the best. Even if you straight up own someone, there's always room for improvment. I feel that these top players believe in that. Another thing I would think improve our game, as instead of just worrying about who's the best and what rank you to just play, and to try to get better. You're top 20 in the Mid South, Hurray!! But what are you in the Nation? I think that everyone should ask themselves that after winning a match or just playing a friendly. I went to INNV not realizing what to expect. But after witnessing the good players that were there I pushed myself to get better. I knew I had little time to do it but I still stayed focused to win and to do my best reguardless. I know it sounds cheesy, but I made it to brackets @ my first tourney because of this. It's all about keeping a focused mind set and not worrying about who you think is better than you, how good you are, and to just do it! At least that's what works for me

Tha_Shogun_12

Smash Journeyman
Double post, Glory will be that much sweeter once we get to those higher rankings. But don't let glory demean to not getting better!

moogle

Smash Ace
My take:

Exhibit A. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_U.S._states_by_population_density

If you look, you'll see that most of the states toward the top of this list are ones that we'd consider strong smash states. Ken and Isai, California (12). KoreanDJ, Massachusetts (3). Mew2King, New Jersey (1). PC Chris, New York (6). Azen and Chu Dat, Virginia (14).

Generally, where there's more people in less area (i.e. higher population density), there's a greater flow of ideas and knowledge. This applies to Smash too. People in more densely populated areas have more people to teach and more people to learn from.

Oh yeah, remember what state has the best smashers in the Atlantic South?
Rank / State / Pop. per sq mi
8 / Florida / 296.4
17 / North Carolina / 165.2
18 / Georgia / 141.4
19 / Tennessee / 138.0
21 / South Carolina / 133.2
22 / Louisiana / 102.6
26 / Alabama / 87.6
32 / Mississippi / 60.6
34 / Arkansas / 51.3

If you answered Florida, you'd be correct.

Shai Hulud

Smash Lord
Mississippi is terrible. If this state were a person, I'd say "F*ck you, you're terrible." Then I'd shoot him/her in the face.

I AM THE ONLY SMASHER IN THE GREATER JACKSON AREA AND ITS SURROUNDINGS.

I'd love to be able to say "The scene here sucks. It's just me, friend 1, friend 2, friend 3, friend 4, friend 5..."

Top Bottom