• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Meta's down B- How to make it attack forward.

Kel

Smash Master
We know that if you hold down B when you perform Meta's down B that he'll perform a slash that's semi-powerful in the reverse direction of which he's going.

Well, I've found that the down B can attack forward, both in place and while moving. I was messing around with the Down B's teleport physics and I found that if you do the stutter step motion on your joy stick right before your slash comes out, Meta will slash in the direction you last hit.

Example: Meta is facing right and your opponent is to the right and in front of you.
Hit down B, hold B, hit right to get Meta to use his momentum towards the right, hit left on your joystick and then right (this is all done very fast and while Meta has vanished), Meta should slash in the direction you last hit (towards the right).

To get the timing, think of how you do the down B stall on the ledge. It's the same timing, only instead of just releasing the joystick, you're hitting left then right. This is essentially making Meta transport to the side, and then back to where he was (or a little in front depending on how you're holding the stick), only he's facing the opposite direction when he returns. This makes him slash the opposite direction still, but the opposite direction is now the way that you were previously standing.

You can also decide how far you want to move with this. If you hit Down B and are holding Right when you do so, you'll still move to the right. If you down B and don't do anything except the stutter step thing, you'll stay in place, only you'll slash the way you were facing.

This can be used for mindgames/ whatever you can think of. It's just to add something to Meta's arsenal that many won't know about for a bit.

*Edit*
Here's the video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SQiu6heiO18

Ultimatum479

Smash Apprentice
It has a use!!!

Offensively, I mean. The Down-B was great for other miscellaneous uses, but offensively, it was waiting for this thread in order to become useful. Thank you. ^_^

Master Raven

Smash Master
This seems like an interesting technique, but I don't see much use for it. Maybe I need to fight actually players before I can make a proper critique, but from what I can tell, I can't really actually hit the opponent with this tech. Meta always seems to teleport inches away from slicing his opponent whenever I perform this.

Gargleman

Smash Rookie
Useful, but like Raven says, its hard to position the attack properly. Used it a few times half an hour ago, and it doesn't have SAF and its really easy to get punished afterwards.

Zorio

Smash Rookie
For me, Dimensional Cape has basically lacked uitility for one reason - it's easily punished. With so many other attacks that lack ending lag, there aren't many situations when another attack wouldn't do the job better. Unless the opponent is somehow occupied charging an attack and is actually incapable of blocking, I've found that it is usually blocked and punished. Even if it connects, the knockback often isn't sufficient to allow you enough time to recover before most enemies can counter. Often the startup animation is long enough for an opponent to interrupt the attack, and I just feel foolish for not using a faster, stronger move that ultimately would have kept me out of harm's way. The move is occasionally useful as something of a surprise attack, but most experienced players with good reflexes will still be able to avoid DC because MK clearly announces the attack.

Granted, it's a pretty cool trick being able to attack in the same direction in which you initiate the attack, but I don't think I'll personally be using this attack any more than before - not because the tech you described is bad, but because DC just seems limited to me on so many levels.

mr_kennedy44

Smash Journeyman
This will help but I probably won't use it much. I rarely use the dimensional cape anyways, but its good to know.

EDIT: I just realized you provided a video. It looks more useful than I thought.

boom-man97

Smash Journeyman
i did this b4 by accident and was wondering how it was done!
thanks for figuring it out!

juantendo8

Smash Cadet
A very nice technique. I can get MK to attack forward while reappearing in the same place and get him to attack forward while reappearing behind where he was standing. Is it possible to make him reappear in front of where he was standing? If possible, I would love a vid. Thanks for your discovery.:)

Top Bottom