• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Meta Knight: Video Compilation & Critique Thread

KevJames

Smash Apprentice
Meh. The metaknight was not playing to the character's strengths. If I had to critique the player, I would say to mix up his approaches. The metaknight constantly went with ground approaches and didn't utilize his evasiveness and air mobility. Not once did I see him try to evade elfire and thoron simply by jumping. The character has 6 jumps for god sake, lets use that to our advantage. Additionally, I saw unsafe usage of his side specials and prolonged use of his shield in neutral. Although he did get good grabs off and put Robin off-stage, it seemed like he was too scared to go off-stage and apply pressure to Robin. Dair and Nair works really well against Robin's vertical upB that recovers from under the stage.

Float SSB

Smash Cadet
NNID
Floatwall
3DS FC
0774-4349-7765
Hey ITO, I liked your metaknight play. Reassured me that I am (mostly) playing the character correctly. I have one major problem though, up-B OoS.

I played Brawl and PM with tap jumping off for forever and now that I am playing a lot of metaknight, I find up B out of shield challenging without tap jumping but WITH tap jumping I find it hard to string up u-airs properly. Any advice? What controller and controls do you play with?

ItoI6

Smash Journeyman
if you play without tap jump on upb oos is impossible without pressing jump before upb which is awkward and always slower. the only part you have to worry about when chaining up airs with tap jump on is at the initial jump when i feel which you might accidentally input jump twice which will make you jump lower than a fullhop. Sometimes you actually want that to happen at lower percents (20-40%) but it does **** up some combos at like 50 or so percent. If you just use c-stick up for the first one it shouldnt be a problem though. After that chaining up airs with tap jump on just makes it easier imo.

Last edited:

Float SSB

Smash Cadet
NNID
Floatwall
3DS FC
0774-4349-7765
so do you just hold up and press A with appropriate timing once chaining up airs?

ItoI6

Smash Journeyman
yes its really not hard once you get going aside from them randomly getting hit into a weird angle from uair

Float SSB

Smash Cadet
NNID
Floatwall
3DS FC
0774-4349-7765
Yea I practiced with tap jumping a bunch yesterday in FG. I am not getting my strings as often as I was without tap jumping but I am starting to get used to it. However, having easier access to UP-B OOS is awesome. Previously I was doing this ridiculous thumb slide from Y to B to do it and it resulted in a lot of flubs.

The mechanics of tap jumping are so strange though. If you jump with X/Y then hold up metaknight will burn his jumps as fast as possible. However, if you do your initial jump with UP and keep holding UP he will not continue to jump. So basically what I have been doing is jumping with X and then just holding up and pressing A at the right timing. I am finding that this game is a little more sensitive than melee in giving me fairs and bairs when I am tilting upwards at angles (gate definition must be a bit different).

I have only managed to do the full 5 hits a few times but I am pretty consistently getting 2 hits into up-b

Also, I have a friend with a capture card so I will post some of my FG matches later this week most likely. I think the factor that differs about my playstyle is I use dimension cape a ton.

Last edited:

ItoI6

Smash Journeyman
you should always go for shuttle loop from dash attack after like 40% vs falcon, i saw you jumping up and fullhop fairing and only the last hit would connect and it would do like 2% damage which is nothing. also at around 20-40% if you land a dash attack or down throw and they get sent at an angle like this http://youtu.be/9e5HAJ_VMYA?t=3m51s what you should do is fullhop fair, then buffer an upb in the end lag of fair. It should be a guaranteed combo and it does about 20 damage or so.

As far as not being able to kill falcon thats just mks limitations as a character. I think his best kill option is to just hit them offstage or in the air and trap them with a nair or something. the fact that he needs to get two reads in a row or a super hard read with upb or fsmash in order to land a kill is pretty ass but idk you gotta make do i guess. You kept charging smashes when trying to catch his ledge option but i think you should just wait and be ready for the standard ledge get up option, and if they do something else like roll or jump you should have enough time to react.

Katakiri

LV 20
NNID
Katakiri
3DS FC
2492-5180-2983
Here are all of my bracket matches from Cincinnati Smash Revival http://smashboards.com/threads/cincinnati-smash-revival-biweekly-results.352742/page-4#post-18323979

Vs SoulPech (Jigglypuff)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7gKyVia4irw

Vs Kero (Greninja and a really good one at that)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bQj8T4tkWsw

Winner's Semi-Finals Vs Amida (Ness)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vvaiSNuJxGA

Winner's Finals Vs Mister Eric (R.O.B.)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w3gLLrmZOFI
Fun thing we learned about ROB in the 1st match, ROB's ledge attack is very unsafe on shield to the point that we can drop shield and F-Smash before his animation's over.

Grand Finals Vs Kero (Greninja)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bTUcsksgFpA
Any match with Kero vs myself is going to be one of the highest-level matches you'll see for either of these characters. We play each other enough that none of our character's cheap shots work and we both know how to DI the others combos at higher percents. So what you get is an intense game of footsies until one of us slips up.

All my other videos are here: https://www.youtube.com/user/KatakiriG/videos
I upload new videos about once or twice a week.

Oblivion129

Smash Lord
NNID
Oblivion129
3DS FC
1821-9773-2413
Grand Finals was cool. I wondered, though, why he picked Delfino as his CP, but it turned out well for him.
That ROB info is really useful.

CaliburChamp

Smash Master
3DS FC
1392-6575-2504
Slowly, I see the potential in metaknight now. His B moves are impressive enough to make him drill through certain projectiles or tornado through air dodges and punish quickly with down b, as well up b surprisingly quick attack.

Float SSB

Smash Cadet
NNID
Floatwall
3DS FC
0774-4349-7765
Something to note in this matchup:

Your opponent spot dodges a lot when you rush in. He is obviously pretty conditioned to not get grabbed since its MKs main schtick. Run in tornado is an EXCELLENT way to recondition your opponent to not spot dodge your approaches or at the worst, make it a coin toss. I saw a lot of moments when your approach was fairly obvious and you had an opportunity to tornado for 20 damage instead. Helps MK win the damage race against other characters with better output.

Also, I am not sure how hard you are mashing on some of the tornados he shielded because you stayed at the ground. Even holding down a fully mashed tornado should lift off a bit. Go ahead and always just mash tornado as hard as you can when you get shielded and if you can help it, hit the very very very tippy top of their shield. I find most characters will get shield stabbed by the ending allowing you to safely escape an otherwise bad situation. The height you gain can also let you do a falling DI mixup to perhaps avoid the punish. I get away a surprising amount on shielded tornados.

Another interesting note, specifically on smashville, is to keep the platform in mind. If I am going to do run in tornado I will try to wait for the platform to be overhead or on its way as I run in so that when the tornado ends I can land on it and get away if I get shielded.

These are all just small things with the using tornado to punish spot dodges being the biggest one. I really like your presence of mind of your whole moveset, I saw you use everything in the kit well, even managing to react to a successful d-tilt trip with a dash grab. Well done.

Your opponent could use some work on his punish game, however. Needs to pick his faster options.

D

Deleted member

What are you guys' opinion on this MK (first game)? Despite him losing, I actually think he played really well. Hope he shows up at Xanadu again tonight and picks MK.

warionumbah2

Smash Master
The guy never even used tornado which is one of if not the best special attack he has. Out of the whole match he went for 1 i think. He also seemed predictable in his approach with the rising dair then camping above with dair, Shofu was clearly shielding a lot he could easily grab him into a down throw bait an airdodge for a full hit nado.

He was good that last kill from side B was stupid but things happens i suppose.

My FG matches, basically me showing how MK has the tools to beat RosaLuma though the match took long on the first one. Second game was me demoralizing him probably disgusted that he was losing to MK. Third game last stock he started c sticking which was funny.:] Next game was actually after i 2 stocked his Ludwig so he went DDD as if the MU was hard, i chocked at the start but bring it back. Last game he went Link but he must've forgot MK can abuse his jumps against projectiles.

Feedback would be nice though this is like a week old.

Last edited:

busken

Smash Ace
4:11 (End of first battle)

You're approach options are very repetitive. I noticed that you used dash attack alot, and in the first 2 minutes I counted that you used dash attack 21 times. If this Rosaluma knew that a shield button existed you would have gotten punished to no end. You need to run and shield more, and respect her spacing options. You simply got hit by moves you really weren't supposed to get hit and didn't space yourself correctly. I also noticed that you didn't even attempt to grab which is critical in gaining stage control and juggle opportunities.You also seem to just be throwing out moves and not reacting to your opponent. All your damage seemed to be off dash attack that lead to juggle but you didn't capitalize off that much. In my opinion, this battle could have gone either way and hard to see that you never got punished for your rush-down approaches.

6:10 (End of second battle)

I see you use Mach Tornado a little to much, but since your opponent never shielded you didn't get punished. You could have used a fair or upsmash after the grab you did, which could give you more damage via juggle or get an edge guard. Mach Tornado should be used as a finisher option, because after you did it you reset back to neutral. This battle was pretty much like the first, your approach options stayed the same and you got so much damage because the opponent does really know any defensive options.

8:46(End of third battle)

Very similar to the previous battles, you did very similar things. I like how you finally reacted to how your opponent liked to air dodge and punished with Up smash more. You seem to be randomly jumping in neutral if you played somebody like Falcon or Fox, you are asking to be juggled.

11:42 (End of fourth battle)

He was giving you the business at the start, but as soon as he killed you he started rolling like cat probably afraid of getting killed. Your approach options became way more noticeable s now and you were tried to hit him every time you could. Which worked because he went into panic mode. You played similarly as the previous battles. What were you doing at 11:29 you could have forward smashed him!

End of Video Summary

Stop jumping and spamming dash attack. Jumping leaves you subsceptile to getting juggled and dash attack is not safe on shield. Run and Shield more and react accordingly. Go for more grabs as it you can gain so much out of it. Instead of punishing almost every juggle opportunity with Tornado go for up airs instead. Not only can you link it to Up-B but you can use tornado to finish as well. Remember we are all learning together as community, just keep working hard and don't get discouraged.

warionumbah2

Smash Master

Was gonna upload some Sheik matches but Katakiri beat me to it. So here's some Mk vs Ike,Marth and Killager. I've fallen in love with Dtilt. <3

Fun fact: U-Smash kills Marth at 130% no rage and kills Villager at 110% no rage. So you can do a Fox and run into them with U-Smash.

Last edited:

ToxoT

Smash Apprentice

sorry for the potato quality, but i had to share this

Katakiri

LV 20
NNID
Katakiri
3DS FC
2492-5180-2983
Grand Finals at the Columbus Bi-Weekly.
Carls was great at adapting to the MU (game 2 took 3 minutes just to get the first stock) but I banned Duck Hunt after game 1 and Smashville after game 2 since I figured he'd take us back there so he went Battlefield; BF is real good for MK.

ItoI6

Smash Journeyman
you shouldn't jump before upb if they di away from dthrow. just doing it from the ground is faster and was the only thing that wouldve worked in some situations like at 3:04 and 1:27, plus it does an extra 3% from aerial version. also immediate fthrow from sliding dash grab has a wider percent range for the upb and is the best option when dthrow just misses out but it's hard to be aware of the right time to use it, im working on it myself. im fairly certain it wouldve killed at 1:54 for example and there were some other places where dthrow was too high to followup, but usually you picked the right option and went for damage when it wasnt going to work with upthrow and backthrow which was pretty impressive to me because i see most people just auto dthrow in every situation. also fall off nair is hard to time against fox i would tornado just slightly off the ledge to scoop him up if hes always going for it, and try a ledge trump at least once because i dont think he wouldve been ready for it.

could u upload some games where you play people who beat you? itd be more interesting to me. also ill play mk until i get sent to losers tomorrow so i should have some actual serious matches soon

Katakiri

LV 20
NNID
Katakiri
3DS FC
2492-5180-2983
Thanks for the advice! I started picking up on chasing Fox before I Shuttle Loop later in the set. Fox has a really odd knockback angle from D-Throw/F-Throw that took some getting used to for me. I know all about F-Throw and grounded loop. But yeah I really need to abuse ledge trump more than I do. That's something I'll work on this week.

I have no problem uploading sets I lose but I just don't have them. I either lose on a setup other than my own or I don't bring my setup. Also no one in this region consistently defeats me yet. I mean I'll get outplayed but not consistently. Mister Eric (ROB main) takes me to game 5 every time we play (we bring the hype to winner's finals) but who has the better game 5 is a toss-up. I'll have to try to drop games more often or get a TO in this region to buy a portable recording set-up outside of Michigan Smash. One of those is way more likely to happen than the other...:glare:

ItoI6

Smash Journeyman

check out a bunch of mk combo stuff. dash attack to fullhop uair to footstool definitely works and patches up a hole in his combo game early on when uair doesnt chain into itself, but timing is very tight to come down and dtilt to lock, unfortunately literally none of his aerials can lock which is prety lame. i tried every hit of his bair and fair even and none of them continue a lock. on diddy and characters around his weight you can also fthrow at 0 to a buffered dash attack to get the fullhop uair. generally the best setup into fullhop uair is the final hitbox of dash atack at 0-10% for most characters. also couldnt get it to work against fox because he gets up too quickly, but i got everyone else in the dtilt lock even though timing is super tight on some characters because you need to fastfall on the 1st possible frame and buffer a turn around dtilt on landing. harder than it looks but still im confident its usable in matches

also in case u didnt catch upsmash to buffered upb is a true combo on heavies at like 30-50%. fthrow to buffered dash attack just seems plainly better than dthrow at around 0 against several fastfalling characters because it seems un-diable + you get an extra followup after dash attack

this is much easier to do with sweet spot nair and forces a knockdown at this percent but it can be teched unlike footstool so its not guaranteed. you should use this on mid and fastfall characters but slowfalling ones are very easy to drop down and dtilt so you should still do it for characters like rosa

Last edited:

ItoI6

Smash Journeyman
http://www.twitch.tv/sandiegofgc/v/3811258

vs Phoenix's Sonic in wsf @ 3:01:15

sonic is actually one of the easiest characters to get dash attack uair footstool on and continue with a dtilt lock but when i got it in the 1st game it was too close to the ledge, and when i got it in the 2nd game i landed it at the beginning of both stocks and opted for nair because i just wanted to be safe and go for damage + i thought it would cause knockdown and i could tech chase anyways but he wasnt at high enough percent for that to happen. in retrospect i couldve started it and gotten a much bigger conversion but i think with more experience ill know the right time when itll work. just want to state that this **** does actually work against real people lol. as for the actual match i got lucky with an sd from him game 1 and then game 2 got an extremely fraudulent rage dash attack to upb that killed at 83%, and after that just camped the platform in the last 3 minutes with a lead while fishing for an oos upb, sonic couldnt really do much about it.

vs TearBear's Falcon in wf @ 3:26:30

got bopped game 1 but came back with an equally crushing win game 2 and played fairly well after. got to show off mk tricks like dtilt knockdown at high percent into upb kill, as well as a nice suicide kill on game 5. i didnt do the stuff i practiced with fthrow at 0 and let reflexes take over which kinda sucks but it was enough to win anyways

vs TearBear's Falcon in gf @ 3:49:10

it went ok, strong last stock on game 4.

made a lot of tech errors the whole time, probably just unfamiliarity with the character after not playing him for a while. didnt drop a set whole tourney so i did actually end up going mk the whole time. 1st tourney win with solo mk yeaaaa. im playing in a much larger tournament on saturday, we'll see how it goes.

Last edited:

Oblivion129

Smash Lord
NNID
Oblivion129
3DS FC
1821-9773-2413

sonic is actually one of the easiest characters to get dash attack uair footstool on and continue with a dtilt lock but when i got it in the 1st game it was too close to the ledge, and when i got it in the 2nd game i landed it at the beginning of both stocks and opted for nair because i just wanted to be safe and go for damage + i thought it would cause knockdown and i could tech chase anyways but he wasnt at high enough percent for that to happen. in retrospect i couldve started it and gotten a much bigger conversion but i think with more experience ill know the right time when itll work. just want to state that this **** does actually work against real people lol. as for the actual match i got lucky with an sd from him game 1 and then game 2 got an extremely fraudulent rage dash attack to upb that killed at 83%, and after that just camped the platform in the last 3 minutes with a lead while fishing for an oos upb, sonic couldnt really do much about it.

got bopped game 1 but came back with an equally crushing win game 2 and played fairly well after. got to show off mk tricks like dtilt knockdown at high percent into upb kill, as well as a nice suicide kill on game 5. i didnt do the stuff i practiced with fthrow at 0 and let reflexes take over which kinda sucks but it was enough to win anyways

made a lot of tech errors the whole time, probably just unfamiliarity with the character after not playing him for a while. didnt drop a set whole tourney so i did actually end up going mk the whole time. 1st tourney win with solo mk yeaaaa. im playing in a much larger tournament on saturday, we'll see how it goes.
Awesome matches! Congrats!
You play with Tap Jump on, right? I might give that a try for easier OoS Shuttle Loop.

Only thing I think you should implement is recovering with DC sometimes to mix it up. A few of those spikes on your drill rush could have been avoided. Now that I think about it, not a single DC was used and it looks like you didn't even need it. It's not a safe move so I can see why you avoided using it.

You completely dominated, though. (I feel like the commentators should have hyped stuff more like that suicide drill rush)

Edit: It seems like while playing with tap jump on, aerial Shuttle Loop gets a little boost and goes higher since pressing up triggers a jump. It's actually useful.

Last edited:

W.A.C.

Smash Ace
Damn, you did fantastic with Meta Knight. Congratulations on the tournament win. Do you think Meta Knight will become your main again with Diddy being your secondary character?

Qazoo306

Smash Cadet

It's a video of me playing for glory trying to commentate it afterwards. I'm hoping for some feedback on how to improve my play. Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

It's a video of me playing for glory trying to commentate it afterwards. I'm hoping for some feedback on how to improve my play. Any help is appreciated. Thanks!
Might just be me, but I'm unable to view your video.

Qazoo306

Smash Cadet
Might just be me, but I'm unable to view your video.
Oops, probably should have checked to see if it worked. Oh well. I edited the actual link in this time. It should work now.

Edit: can I get some advice on playing? I'm playing a bit now and doing better but still loosing a lot. Thanks.

Last edited:

busken

Smash Ace

That forward throw->dash attack>fair was so cool

Top Bottom