• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Meta Knight: Video Compilation & Critique Thread

IPoD Max

Smash Rookie
I'm pretty bad, but regardless I like to play against streamers when I can just to play the highest level opponent possible. Since it's a stream, it's not exactly a fair fight, with donations, followers notifications, and people subscribing, so these aren't the most legitimate battles, but any critiques on my play or tips would be great.

Logic: http:// www. twitch.tv/vgbclogic/v/3863891
Match starts at 2:05:40-- It gets really laggy whenever someone follows for the first game, but its lagless for the second match against Diddy Kong.

TkBreezy: http:// www. twitch.tv/tkbreezy/v/3853528
4:19:18-- Tk's wii fit, he was definitely distracted by chat and he was telling stories during the games. I made a few huge mistakes, both my deaths game 2, and I wish I f-smashed the other direction to punish the roll get-ups, but besides that I think i played okay.

Max Ketchum (Doom): http:// www. twitch.tv/maxketchum/b/633217227
2:44:30-- He mains Captain falcon but he decided to MK ditto me since he mained MK in brawl. I definitely fish for up-b way too hard, that's a habit im trying to break, but its too fun to go for them.

Acid: http:// www. twitch.tv/acidtonex58/b/632364849
2:28:59-- Sheik then Villager. I'm terrible at the sheik MU, so many combos.

I had to spread out the link because smashboards won't let me post links yet (?), sorry about that, haha.

Last edited:

ItoI6

Smash Journeyman
you drill rush too much but otherwise you play ok. you **** up your punishes and the uair chains spacing a lot but everyone does atm i guess. you need to finish combos with shuttle loop more you just let your opponent get away free after dash attack and dthrow trying to get uairs and fairs when it just plainly wouldnt work in certain situations. just make sure your stuff actually works

you should just play as much as you can vs good players to improve not really much else to say. i dont really think what youre doing is really the most efficient way to get good practice in lol most streamers are just mediocre players who play against bad players, and the few good players who stream play as ****ty characters or don't play their hardest for entertainment's sake. waiting around for your turn is also probably annoying as well. i havent played online seriously in a long time so i dont know any good places atm but if you want to play sometime just give me a pm and i can.

W.A.C.

Smash Ace
So I entered a tournament tonight and got second place with Meta Knight. Considering how I only got 2 1/2 hours of sleep that day and was awake for 54 hours straight prior to that, I'm surprised I did that well. I usually use the GamePad's audio jack with headphones for sound because I find it very difficult to concentrate when there's so much noise and talking around me. That really hurt me a lot in the later matches when the GamePad died and I forgot my charger. Plus in the last match, I wasn't ready because I was drinking something and failed to communicate that, so I got 0 to death'd by DK. -_- You can see the results here: [LINK] However, the video quality is so atrocious that it's hardly even worth watching which is a shame because I wanted to watch it. I also did commentary for the first time at a tournament, which was a lot of fun. Though with the lag being that bad, no wonder we usually had only one or two viewers. Christ...

ItoI6

Smash Journeyman
vs falln's rosalina WF @ 3:17:30 http://www.twitch.tv/sandiegofgc/v/3894102

Hey all, I'd like to up my MK game. I think I have a rough idea what to work on (like extending strings), but I'd like the critique of better players. Thanks: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h7vPlNNvyaE
try and use some better ledge options than dropping off and double jump fairing or just jumping around offstage. ledgehop dair and neutral ledge get up are the ones i use the most.

aside from that idk you play alright but i wouldnt throw out so many dtilts in neutral, it really almost never works as a tool to stuff approaches/people running at you. in place of the dtilts try using ftilt. when you space with ftilt the multiple hits help keep people dashing at you in check. as a habit when you ftilt, try and use ftilt 1 and ftilt 2 immediately after eachother, and then wait for the 3rd hit. you want to use ftilt 2 quickly because it has a bit more range than ftilt 1 and can catch things that ftilt 1 barely misses. the threat of the 3rd hit can also stop them from punishing you and sometimes people just wait in their shield. the only times you should use dtilt in place of ftilt is when you are extremely close to them and they are already in range of the move. its really not a good idea for trying to catch people with it while running around in neutral because the reward is very low and its nearly impossible to do.

try and be more calm when you play too. if youre behind just go for guaranteed stuff, and dont panic. trying to force a gimmicky 30% combo with uairs off the top or whatever really isnt possible to force, just try and read airdodges with nado or w/e

Last edited:

LostinpinK

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Ailkah
Nice use of the momentum of the dash grab on the edge to get a Fair at 3:22:21 and great gimps at the end of the game. I definetely have to work on the precision of the Dair in edgeguard, like you did toward the end of game 4. Speaking about this game, can Dsmash hit someone at the edge? It's weird that you missed.

ItoI6

Smash Journeyman
that was just me being bad i misspaced it

also when i throw out random dtilts in that game i was trying to instant dash attack and failed lol. i also set my controls to attack on c-stick instead of smashes because i wanted to keep the option of dtilt footstool lock open. the reason i need attack to c-stick for that to work is because its much easier to do a turn around dtilt by just pressing backwards and down on your c-stick instead of backwards and then quickly rolling the stick down to dtilt. some footstool dtilt setups i cant get consistently at all unless i have this controller setup, which im not used to atm and it caused me to use dtilts in random places instead of dsmashes when i was up close. i remember a bunch of stupid situations in the game where i was literally right in front of rosa and dtilt point blank missed because rosas feet werent touching the ground or something, it was really stupid but i was trying to dsmash in that situation.

there it is at 3:23:55 lol wtf is that **** man

also on a fresh stock i like to fsmash the other way to catch a roll, and if it doesnt work and people are behind me waiting for my invincibility to wear off i release it and buffer a dsmash which is so fast its nearly impossible to react to if they dont know its happening. i wouldve gotten it at 3:22:45 but i forgot my c-stick was on attack instead of smashes again.

i actually did manage to land dash attack uair footstool dtilt lock in a tournament set against a villager earlier on stream, i would go find the set but it wasnt really that amazing otherwise.

Last edited:

gameplayzero

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RetroBlaze
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Td69AALg--s

ignoring all of the "mistakes" this metaknight player had (like doing some made up follow up combos instead of the bnbs), I have to ask about his uairs into shuttle loop. Did Seagull just not know how to DI out of the uairs or was that actually legit? I know there is a percentage window for each individual character that lets you net the most uairs on that character easily, but stuff like what I just mentioned aren't common. If they were, metaknight would be a higher tiered character. You guys are much better players by far, and I hardly see this happening in your videos so I feel like Seagull just didn't know what to do.

though you guys never try uairs at that low of percents

EDIT: basically I'm asking if the sonic could have broke out of the uairs any time like he did in the first set. I obviously know that uairs connect to shuttle loop, but usually not with all of your jumps.

Last edited:

Pas

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Antilochos
3DS FC
2277-6656-7895
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hLBX1JxgSco

First tournament with a solid attempt at playing MK. Also the first tournament my scene tried to stream (mixed results, quality definitely can be improved). This ROB player is very tricky and does well at baiting my Yoshi with spot dodges and spins, so I thought I'd try the MK with him and got better results, but still lost.

Where should I start in looking to improve my MK? What's working and what isn't?

Also, if nothing else, check out the end of the first match - drill rush spikes through Smashville stage. Unusual interaction there.

Fye

Smash Apprentice
NNID
FE-Judge
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hLBX1JxgSco

First tournament with a solid attempt at playing MK. Also the first tournament my scene tried to stream (mixed results, quality definitely can be improved). This ROB player is very tricky and does well at baiting my Yoshi with spot dodges and spins, so I thought I'd try the MK with him and got better results, but still lost.

Where should I start in looking to improve my MK? What's working and what isn't?

Also, if nothing else, check out the end of the first match - drill rush spikes through Smashville stage. Unusual interaction there.
I think you were too obvious on your approach game. You play a more offensive MK, but you should try to mix it up. You chose to either dash attack or roll into him. And after he got used to your style, he would consistently punish you and even KO you for your mistakes. I'm suspecting this isn't just a MK problem as your Yoshi sounds like it gets baited as well. On the bright side, when you did hit him, your follow ups were mostly on point except for the fact that you do not tornado.

While drill rush worked in your favor this set, I would personally advise to use it a bit less. It's kind of gimmicky but if it works, there's no reason to change it, I guess.

Finally, like Ito said to me, you should get better ledge get up options. You often choose the get-up attack option which is pretty sub-optimal in most cases. You should regular get-up or jump down-air.

warionumbah2

Smash Master

ignoring all of the "mistakes" this metaknight player had (like doing some made up follow up combos instead of the bnbs), I have to ask about his uairs into shuttle loop. Did Seagull just not know how to DI out of the uairs or was that actually legit? I know there is a percentage window for each individual character that lets you net the most uairs on that character easily, but stuff like what I just mentioned aren't common. If they were, metaknight would be a higher tiered character. You guys are much better players by far, and I hardly see this happening in your videos so I feel like Seagull just didn't know what to do.

EDIT: basically I'm asking if the sonic could have broke out of the uairs any time like he did in the first set. I obviously know that uairs connect to shuttle loop, but usually not with all of your jumps.

That uair link is inescapable if the MK user inputs it well, i caught a Luigi in one of my videos and took him into the sky on the exact same stage. If Seagul DI's up he'll die to shuttle loop sooner, if he DI's towards MK he'll only get uair'd easier.

Unknown really needs to use shuttle loop as a follow up, the amount of times he used 1 uair into nothing is high. DA into 1 uair isn't rewarding on a low damaging character like MK(his normals that is).

The uair strings seem to work around 0-80%? Not too sure but DA sets it up really easy. Its like a guaranteed +40% if you don't kill with it.

Seagull Joe

Smash Legend
NNID
SeagullJoe

No clue on DI stuff. How do you DI Uair and Shuttle loop when it hits? Down? I was holding up.

Edit: Makes sense why I died so early to SL because I needed to hold down lol. Same reason Bengalz kept killing me with :4zss:up b early. No clue on how to DI. I know now, but didn't then.

:018:

Last edited:

Pas

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Antilochos
3DS FC
2277-6656-7895
I think you were too obvious on your approach game. You play a more offensive MK, but you should try to mix it up. You chose to either dash attack or roll into him. And after he got used to your style, he would consistently punish you and even KO you for your mistakes. I'm suspecting this isn't just a MK problem as your Yoshi sounds like it gets baited as well. On the bright side, when you did hit him, your follow ups were mostly on point except for the fact that you do not tornado.

While drill rush worked in your favor this set, I would personally advise to use it a bit less. It's kind of gimmicky but if it works, there's no reason to change it, I guess.

Finally, like Ito said to me, you should get better ledge get up options. You often choose the get-up attack option which is pretty sub-optimal in most cases. You should regular get-up or jump down-air.
Thanks for taking the time!

You're definitely right about my approach game. I've been thinking about what you've said, and it's a massive problem on my Yoshi too. I'd even say it's a big part of what drove me to look for a second character. Coming from Yoshi, quick rolls, a comparatively safe dash attack, and a MUCH safer dash grab mean I'm kind of throwing those out a lot and you're right, I'm getting read. I'll certainly give it some more thought and get back in the lab. Neutral game is hard :(

Tornados... the start up is long enough that I'm having trouble figuring out when they're a viable punish. When should I be looking to get a tornado going? I guess when they're in the air is safer than when they're on the ground, as it'll eat up an aerial dodge, but otherwise?

You know when you throw out a drill and it's pretty apparent that it was just about the worst choice you could make? That's how I felt at the end of match 3. It's a bad habit, I'll work on that.

Edge game too. Thanks for the advice.

AmishTechnology

Smash Journeyman
NNID
KIMPHIE
2nd and 3rd game against the Sheik were phenomenal. Perfectly playing to MK's points. Your combos have been just getting more and more optimized and you dropping them prematurely is becoming a rare sight. Lots of beautiful 3-5 u-airs into shuttle loops. Good showcasing of f-tilt's functioning as Meta Knight's "jabs" and being a better poking tool than d-tilt in many cases. Good Sheiks obviously beat MK in the neutral, so the less you two played in the neutral, the higher your odds of winning were. Lots of great punishes with MK combos, lots of forcing the game off-stage where Sheik isn't nearly as comfortable vs MK as she is with the rest of the cast.

1st stock on the 1st Rosalina match was quite eugh, the grounded up B you landed didn't connect the second hit for some reason and it happened again later lol. I think there were a few more times you could've done a guaranteed grounded up B punish, meh, maybe something we MKs should look out for more often. It's like the reverse of F-Smash, instant windup but horrible horrible damage is incoming if you miss.

2nd stock on the 4th game, Rosalina gets a scandalous kill because of walk-off lol. I think that is one of the few rare and bizarre cases where dimensional cape as an escape is one of your strongest options lol!

Man, shielding Luma's infinite jab dance puts everyone in a pickle. Is there anything we can do that's reliable? Would an oos dair flinch Luma long enough? Or does oos dair come too slow against Luma's constant array of jabs and sprinkles?

When Luma is detached, couldn't you just get a guaranteed kill on it in many cases with the drill? Luma won't follow Rosalina immediately in her jump, so he's completely vulnerable if he whiffs. Sounds like it'd be even easier with HSD and kill even if you're away from center-stage due to HSD's length. Fast enough to perhaps beat Luma Falco Laser from a distance on reaction? Feels like you could also get guaranteed drills on Luma on non-custom anytime Rosalina whiffs, say, up-smash or side B star sprinkles. Solo Rosa can't really combo you and the worst thing she'll do is U-Smash you if you kill the Luma, yeah not worth it in high % but seems worth it otherwise. Am I missing something here? Have I not played enough competent Rosalinas?

But yeah, your combo game is getting so much more optimized, it's so satisfying watching you constantly pull off successful aerial chains.

ItoI6

Smash Journeyman
luma can start over from jab 3 into jab 1 before you can do anything out of a shield drop, so i usually roll away after jab 3. ill roll forward out of it if the spacing doesnt make me get hit by rosas jab which should get you a punish if you can pull it off most of the time, but otherwise theres not really much else you can do.

using drill rush means that ill get punished, and guaranteed damage for the opponent is not a good trade off for killing just luma. i could space fsmash more against luma which could kill it when hes jabbing but doing that puts me in range of side b, so theres never really a time when it feels comfortable to walk up to luma and hit it. using weak moves like ftilt wont knock away luma at all and will just sort of stun it in place which accomplishes basically nothing. the best option is to just be quick and dash attack in at the right time.

oh also something thats important if you see someone always airdodging shuttle loop out of dash attack just barely at around 80%, try and run forward and land a rising upair. its important to time it so that you're rising from a jump while uairing because otherwise shuttle loop won't connect after, and it can pull off kills much earlier than you should be able to from just a dash attack. rising up air is one of the best kill confirms as mk in general, so everyone should just always be fishing for it as the best punish you can do at kill percents from juggles or whatever instead of just praying for a yolo shuttle loop because those are usually pretty bad.

i appreciate the words, i try my best lol. i think i was playing a lot worse with mk trying to space people out with dtilt and dairs, when really its much better to just acknowledge he doesnt have those tools and instead just try to be smart and dash around grabbing people. it feels a lot better to play when its honestly ok to get stuffed by dumb top tier **** like rosas jab or sheik fairs as long as you can eventually get those few huge combos in and maybe get some cheesy early kills. just practice combos a lot so you dont fail them, and never give up even if youre behind by like 100% and don't have any momentum, because you can still be in the game after just a few good punishes.

Last edited:

ItoI6

Smash Journeyman

probably my favorite kill ive had in smash 4. you can get diddy like that as well if he side bs directly at you from offstage.

Fye

Smash Apprentice
NNID
FE-Judge
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vCI_naqNu9E
vs Thinkaman (Ness/Ganondorf LS). I think I'm slowly getting this Ness matchup, but his PK thunder still manages to trip me up. I messed up a couple of times and D-air into the ground, but I'll be fixing that up. I also got too complacent game 2 and tried to style which wasn't the best of ideas. I've faced Thinkaman's Ganon a bunch in friendlies, so I felt super comfortable the last game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eEiZOAqzlZI
vs Gottoms (Mario/Dark Pit LF). This match has less to do with the characters themselves and more of a flaw in Gottoms's playstyle. He is super aggressive and spot dodges a lot which is just what MK wants. One thing I do need to work on is d-air gimps though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g48CNe3CR8Q
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mu_s7muXdVw
vs Flow-yo Set 1 and 2 (Yoshi GF). Sorry Ito, the nervousness crept back on me. Flow-yo consistently wins these tournaments. My ledge options are getting a little better, but Yoshi covers a lot really well (and that stupid ledge-regrab I had). I missed a couple of key b-reverse Shuttle Loops and was a bit overeager on the tornados. Yoshi vs MK is an interesting match-up and Yoshi has very little in the way of punishable moves, but he also doesn't have real means of approach.

Last edited:

ItoI6

Smash Journeyman
vs ness and ganon - always expect ness to drop down and double jump fair from the ledge. just shield and neutral air out of shield if he ends up on top of your shield, and upb oos if he's on other side. if you get back thrown from all the way across the stage hold down not up lol. if you hold up youre going to die off the top while holding down goes straight to the corner. also just so much inefficient play...i didnt see you combo upb from dthrow a single time. its fine to occasionally go for an air dodge read with a nado or rising uair into shuttle loop, but you need to go for the guaranteed stuff most of the time so that they have reason to actually air dodge. i usually only go for a read when it starts being ambiguous whether its a true combo at like around 80% or so. just go for shuttle loop from dthrow in the range of 20-30% to 80% or so. also if you get a grab and theyre at 0-10% and youre high in rage (about 80-90%+) try going for dash forward short hop upair instead of upsmash. upsmash tends to whiff one or two of its hits because of the increased knockback, and rage upairs at super low%s tend to combo extremely easily into one another. @ 13:25 was the perfect time to go for it. also idk why some people think ganon is some kind of counter to mk lol mk bodies ganon easily.

vs next guy - jesus christ plz combo shuttle loop from dthrow so much free damage you throw away lol. also i know upair-shuttle loop is admittedly not easy to space, but if its not going to work after you upair and your positioning is off then its not going to work lol. just wait for airdodge to get a tornado or fast fall and try again for a rising upair with hopefully better positioning for shuttle loop.

alright what im about to explain might be a difficult concept so bear with me here as this is important for comboing. ok have you noticed when you full hop upair to continue a combo from dash attack at low-mid percents that when you land the upair youre inside of the opponent so you're not in position to up air again and continue the string? look @ 8:02 when this happens to you, its good that you neutral air to finish the combo which is admittedly the best thing to do from your previous decision. it falls apart vs other characters with a fast nair like yoshi/mario though they will punish you on hit from upair like this before you can nair. a shorthop is too low, a fullhop is too high for up air chains, but there is something else thats more optimal you can do in this situation.

jump, and then immediately buffer your double jump as soon as you leave the ground. if you do it correctly mk should pull out his wings when he jumps instead of the usual initial jump which leaves them in his cape, and perform a jump height thats inbetween a fullhop and shorthop. going immediately to a double jump also allows mk to fastfall quicker than is possible from a fullhop, which allows for more control in the air when comboing. at very specific percents, this is very useful to start upair chains that are impossible from either short hops or fullhops. again @ 8:02 and im sure several other instances all over your play, im positive that an instant double jump upair wouldve given you 3-4 upairs into a shuttle loop instead of the 1 upair + nair that you opted for instead. if you want to practice it, go to training and set pit to 15% or whatever and try it out. i guarantee the specific instant double jump height + quicker fastfall control it gives is the only way you can get some chains to work. in neutral i also use instant double jumps into fastfall and buffer a ftilt as soon as i land. try it out.

vs last guy - ohhh look at that **** @ 00:23 see that instant double jump wouldve come in real handy right there. dont be afraid to just hold shield against characters like yoshi and fox who have no kill throws if youre well past death percent and are afraid youre gonna die. worst that happens you get sent into the air, and at that point extra percent doesnt matter. best case scenario is they go for a hard read like a charged upsmash then you just get a free punish. try to never let your stock lead go without getting at least something on the table. also stop pummeling so much ffs lol. hold shield if you get grab released, they cant grab you again for another second so it beats everything they can do and you can punish their mashed jab or whatever. something important: when you dash in to punish yoshis landings from shorthops in neutral or basically whenever in the set you get there too late every time. he just buffers jab on landing, or picks some option to punish you for dash attacking in. its a bait, you cant actually punish it most of the time. just walk more and ftilt 1 and 2 i guess.

upair chain upb kill good **** dude its not easy to do. ur still double jumping off the ledge and doing nothing too much lol. also lol none of your opponents di down throw away wtf they just hold nothing. you could just jump up and upb get a kill, but again you never do upb followup from down throw. gj getting the bracket reset 2nd place $$$. using tornado pretty well each match.

warionumbah2

Smash Master
Ganon does not hard counter MK who ever says that is mental, its a slight advantage to him or even imo. Problemis that alot of MKs fight Ganon the wrong way. Here's my vids feedback would be nice, 3rd part is coming where i lose more matches so it'll be easier to correct my errors.

ItoI6

Smash Journeyman
your movement is in general pretty sharp but its too predictable. i dont know if this makes sense to you but you play with the same tempo the whole match. just dash shielding for every approach cant work the whole game lol. some good options you dont use in neutral with mk:
1) empty short hop and buffer ftilt 1 and 2 when you land to catch people running at you
2) instant double jump down air, fastfall and either double jump dair again close enough that it will hit people on the ground, or land and buffer ftilt 1 and 2 or walk backward.
3) walk forward then dash backward when you see a reaction and foxtrot back at them.

also you use down throw a few times past when it will combo, which was a bit over 80% against peach while you had some rage on you. in this situation just pummel once or twice and back throw or up throw depending on which is less stale or towards whichever ledge is closer.

warionumbah2

Smash Master
Hmmm, I'll start implementing 2 and 3 into my neutral game. Usually i pummel if my opponent is near the ledge and at high percent, should i use up throw in that situation? The added damage can be helpful. Thanks for the advice by the way.

ItoI6

Smash Journeyman
yeah going for grab release stuff sucks just use upthrow if you get a grab right in front of a ledge at 30ish+% percents cause thats the most youll get. guaranteed damage>all else unless its a kill setup or it gets you punished on hit. if they di toward you on upthrow for whatever reason shuttle loop can combo at mid percents.

and i told u battlefield sucks, sometimes youll slide off the top platform and whiff on 2nd hit of upb its lame asf look @ 4:28 in 2nd video. i always strike it first even an omega is better. battlefield has a slightly higher ceiling from the bottom to the top than omegas and smashville.

Last edited:

warionumbah2

Smash Master
yeah going for grab release stuff sucks just use upthrow if you get a grab right in front of a ledge at 30ish+% percents cause thats the most youll get. guaranteed damage>all else unless its a kill setup or it gets you punished on hit. if they di toward you on upthrow for whatever reason shuttle loop can combo at mid percents.

and i told u battlefield sucks, sometimes youll slide off the top platform and whiff on 2nd hit of upb its lame asf look @ 4:28 in 2nd video. i always strike it first even an omega is better. battlefield has a slightly higher ceiling from the bottom to the top than omegas and smashville.
smfh why didn't you tell me about buffered 2nd jump dair in neutral sooner? this **** is heavy no lie, makes MK flow better instead of the stiff dash into shield and its easier to hit with.

you should make a guide on MK for mid level players like me.

Cyro

Airborne
Ness is really just a pocket
My characters from who I use the most to least are:
:4falco::4fox::4falcon::4ganondorf::4marth::4metaknight::4rob:
The rest I would really only use when I'm bored / feeling a certain character.
-
To keep this on topic, I do have an MK video on my YT for those who don't know.

It's kind of old but meh, I was decent. I'm good friends with S2H and when I saw him play offline the other day I sort of improved my MK by simply watching him lol.
He's definitely the best MK out there that I know of so look him up on YouTube if you haven't already!

Last edited:

ItoI6

Smash Journeyman
idk making a comprehensive video guide for a character isnt really that useful in the first place because i feel the most significant improvements one can make as a player will come from improving ones neutral game and general knowledge rather than trying to pull off some dumb character specific gimmicks. the best use for a video guide would be detailing the most optimal punishes one can do in certain situations which may be difficult to explain without a demonstration, but i think for most part players should focus more on their interactions with opponents. you can do perfectly fine just using down throw-upsmash at 0-15, dthrow-shuttle loop beyond that, making good tornado reads, and having upair shuttle loop chains down. if the guide were to have any worth i would go more in depth and demonstrate how the best punishes for specific situations, dthrow-dash attack-(various followups) for di away from dthrow at low percents, and dthrow-tornado for di up or no di for example. admittedly it is a bit annoying to have these ******* who dont even play the character making useless guides that say **** like "hurrr durrrr you can forward air after down throw duhhhhhhhhhhhh shuttle loop is a good kill move," but to make a complete guide i think you need to talk about good options in all sorts of situations, like trying to land, trying to juggle, how to approach, vs character specifics, etc. its just a huge undertaking. i think maybe in the future i will make a sort of optimal combo showcase for various situations which i think has some merit, but im not really sure its feasible to do more than that.

Katakiri

LV 20
NNID
Katakiri
3DS FC
2492-5180-2983
@ LostinpinK LostinpinK Ask and you shall receive.
From AMPitUP (Mid-West Regional) http://smashboards.com/threads/ampitup-results-thread-ann-arbor-mi-3-28-15.396880/

I placed 4th out of 68.

Round 1:
SETHsational vs Katakiri :4falcon:

John time. I was ill for this tourney and had about 2 hours of sleep because of it. This was the one bracket match I played before I chugged an energy drink, woke up, and went to work on the loser's bracket.

Losers R6:
Ksev vs Katakiri :4fox:
This was a rematch from a couple months back when Ksev came to Columbus, OH and beat me in loser's finals. I pulled out the bag of tricks for this one.

Losers Semis:
LOE1 vs Katakiri:4luigi::4diddy:
Luigi is no problem but I really didn't know the Diddy MU. Not even proper DI against him (until game 3 where I got it down but man that reaction window is small). I do now thanks to practice with Michigan but Ohio & Kentucky have no Diddy players; we're mostly Sheik, Falcon, Rosalina, Sonic, and Ness up here. It's a problem but I know what I should have done in the MU: play safe and punish rather than DA in.

Would have had more matches on stream if I didn't lose round 1 like a scrub-a-dub.:tired:

ItoI6

Smash Journeyman
i saw you just stand a bit away from the ledge when the opponent is hanging onto the ledge but idk i dont think its that effective if thats all you do every time because then they start waiting a bit after grabbing the ledge and it messes up your reaction time + its basically impossible to punish ledgehops if you do nothing. i like to tornado right above the ledge with mk to encourage a move because you dont need to time hitting them when they neutral ledge get up, and it covers ledge attack and ledge hop. also when ledge trapping try rolling so your back is to the ledge and then hold shield, which makes it really easy to grab them if they neutral ledge get up. if they do nothing for a bit you can just oos dair and knock them off again.

also saw you dthrow when you get a grab at the ledge and get nothing after they di away, shouldve just upthrowed even if its at early percent. more damage is more damage

also hold straight left or right away from diddy when getting dthrown lol you should never die from this combo unless its at the edge at around 90 or so and diddys fair will kill close to the blastzone but its a very narrow range

unfortunately diddy is like the easiest character in the game to go on tilt against but after you get used to playing him its not so bad. i saw you get every upair chain perfectly every match and then fail like every hitconfirm from dash attack when all you had to do was upsmash to followup lol cant be giving away free damage

against players that run forward and roll backward in neutral i just walk forward slowly and retreat instant double jump dairs, and then when they get used to it i just run forward and dash grab as soon as they restart their dash forward after a backwards roll.

that shuttle loop vs diddy on the last game shouldve killed that was kinda bull**** but yeah you should win against diddys of that level

Last edited:

warionumbah2

Smash Master
His MK is pretty bad, its a good guide on how not to play the Luigi MU while Katakiri's is the right way to play the MU. So many poor follow ups.

You can tell he doesn't main him.

Last edited:

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
His MK is pretty bad, its a good guide on how not to play the Luigi MU while Katakiri's is the right way to play the MU. So many poor follow ups.

You can tell he doesn't main him.
The commentator, I think it was Logic, said Meta Knight's his secondary and I think lloD mains Peach in all the games.

ZTD | TECHnology

Developing New TECHnology
^ Omg that's me in my first ever tournament run with MK rofl!

EDIT:
Okay so here are some singles matches with my main training partner (the same Mario in the video linked above). We played many more matches than this and for the most part he bopped me lol. Please keep in mind that my MK is young. Like newborn status. This weekend was my first time using him really. Any my video quality is usually better but I was in a rush to upload these so I used a different format. These are still easy to watch though..Any advice would be helpful :) Please and thank you.

ZTD | Technology :4metaknight: vs Smasher1001 :4mario:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ExobOdhJApQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tQ0ggDHL0ZM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HHQxHzSwPTM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6_OgP2bBebI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u9LhzsYmrU8

Last edited:
Top Bottom