• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Meta Knight to be Overplayed?

kouryuuXfighter

Smash Ace
I don't think so, at least not in competitive play. He may be quick and can combo well but he lacks power and is a light character. I'm sure he will be fun to play with but only the most dedicated will stick with him as their main. I really hope that is the case. I hate maining overplayed characters.

However, I think the one characters that will most likely be overplayed will be Sonic. He is like the new Fox IMO.

iMichael

Smash Lord
Should we even talk about the number of Sonic, Pit, Lucario, PT and Snake users.

benman

Smash Rookie
My friend got a Japanese version with his modded wii and I got to play as metaknight and he is definitely worth playing. what I like tho is with his f-air he does the 3 slices and it actually turns out (I've done it a few times) that the third slice, if you are above the other player at an angle, that it is an instant spike that sends the person flying very fast and very hard. I haven't yet been able to perfect his flying cause it's hard to get used to but he has some good recovery skills. Oh by the way, I play in the game room at the university I go to with a bunch of friends and in melee I wasn't ranked very high on the good players list but since brawl has such a slower pace to it, I have become I think second best (not too sure on that one so don't quote me) but metaknight has improved my game quite a bit.

xS A M U R A Ix

Smash Ace
Everyone keeps saying MK can't kill very well but if you watch other videos, a big majority of the cast can't either. This game just takes longer to kill people it seems like. MK has the ability to chase people off the stage though (which I think will end up being important) as well as some ridiculously fast moves. He may not be the fastest movement wise but his moves really do look like they come out assloads quicker than anyone elses.

I imagine he'll be like Akuma in SF. Dies a little easier but has a really strong offensive game and is a beast in the right hands. He also has amazing recovery though so his weight shouldn't matter too much unless he's getting knocked off the top.

Midnight_Ang3l

Smash Rookie
Should we even talk about the number of Sonic, Pit, Lucario, PT and Snake users.
IMO I honestly dont think Snake will be overused. I heard he is hard to get used to and wont be a n00b character. Thats just me... MK is going to be good. Im going to be like the guy above. Use everyone, see who I am good with and then main. It will prolly be Link again and I dont spam up b lol. It might be Diddy Kong... lol

kouryuuXfighter

Smash Ace
Um... I just finished playing Brawl over at my friends house and I stick to what I said before. Metaknight will not be overused.

Metaknight definitely is hard to use, or rather, he can't really kill. Matches last longer in Brawl but Metaknight in general just can't kill. His only decent killing moves are his Up-B, Nair, and his smashes and even then, your opponent has to be at least 130% (or sometimes even more) for it to result in a decent knockback . And trying to connect with a close range Up-B or a smash attack is hard and Nair only goes so far. It's ridiculous.

Metaknight also flies further when hit which is not really good news.

The only thing he can do is add damage with his multi-hit attacks but even that is hard to pull off against opponents who know what they are doing.

He is nothing like the way he was at E for All. Definitely toned down. He definitely won't be overplayed (from what I see, there are much better/attractive characters in the game). I'm pretty sure at least half the people that claim to be "Metaknight fans" will drop him after they realize how useless he seems. Only the most dedicated will play Metaknight. I hope that's good news for all you Metaknight fans.

.kR0

Smash Journeyman
Metaknight definitely is hard to use, or rather, he can't really kill. Matches last longer in Brawl but Metaknight in general just can't kill. His only decent killing moves are his Up-B, Nair, and his smashes and even then, your opponent has to be at least 130%.
The hell are you talking about?
His dsmash can kill at 100% if the stage is medium sized (battlefield)
His nair, fair and especially dair can be used off the ledge for great edgeguard
His upB can kill anyone trying to edgeguard you and is a staple finisher out of upair combos
His Fsmash is laggy but can kill at high percentage

And what makes up for his "slightly" lower killing moves is that you can SPAM his kill moves without really worrying about being punished. Like I swear, I just dsmash all day when they're at killing range since Meta's moves have almost no lag. And since wavedashing is out, its even more hard to punish meta.

Just by the fact you didn't mention his dair makes me think you just watched videos and haven't actually played.

EDIT:

I have one general question to the people in the Meta boards. When you say that Meta has no killing power, do you guys take into account everything else? Like how he has no lag in his aerials, how he has great Bmoves, how his aerials have great range and speed, how his moves hits behind him, how he has multiple jumps, how he has one of the best recovery in the game?

So with all that pretty much set in stone (anyone who says meta has slow aerials and slow ground moves have no clue what he/she is talking about), if Meta has any one good kill move (he has dsmash, upB, fsmash, nair) can't he make up the slightly less knockback by how he can rack up damage incredibly fast that THE MOVES THAT DOESN'T HAVE TOO MUCH KNOCKBACK NOW HAS?

Play the game before you speculate. Videos of guys playing CPU's aren't indicators to anything.

xS A M U R A Ix

Smash Ace
Amen to that.

I think the lack of knockback on most of the moves might be a good thing, makes for nice comboability, and he's still got those decent finishers in there for when the time is right. And on top of that, all the non damage related stuff you mentioned, he's really turning out to be a great character. I really think he'll be able to edgeguard well once people get used to playing him. He might not be completely broken top tier character like **** you saw in melee but that's a good thing. We don't want that.

Also it helps that Metaknight is like one giant disjointed hit box.

kouryuuXfighter

Smash Ace
The hell are you talking about?
His dsmash can kill at 100% if the stage is medium sized (battlefield)
His nair, fair and especially dair can be used off the ledge for great edgeguard
His upB can kill anyone trying to edgeguard you and is a staple finisher out of upair combos
His Fsmash is laggy but can kill at high percentage
His dsmash is IMO his best smash attack but it only goes so far. The knockback of his Nair is only good at high percents (at least a 100% for decent results). I agree, his Fair can be used for edgeguarding (though I never really tried his Dair for edgeguarding) but it's only effective when the opponent is at high percents because the knockback is not that good at all. And since DIing is still in the game (more or less), killing is made even harder for Meta.

And what makes up for his "slightly" lower killing moves is that you can SPAM his kill moves without really worrying about being punished. Like I swear, I just dsmash all day when they're at killing range since Meta's moves have almost no lag. And since wavedashing is out, its even more hard to punish meta.
It's true, he doesn't have much lag at all after his moves (aerials or smash) but take in consideration that his range is pitiful. Wavedashing isn't necessary to punish Meta. And spamming Dsmash won't do much against players who know what they are doing. People always find ways around simple strategies like that.

Just by the fact you didn't mention his dair makes me think you just watched videos and haven't actually played.
I don't really understand why your raving about his Dsmash since it doesn't strike me as such a great move. I tend to use it defensively to punish anyone who tries to edgeguard me or attack me from below. And I have played the game. I wouldn't have made my first post if I didn't.

EDIT:

I have one general question to the people in the Meta boards. When you say that Meta has no killing power, do you guys take into account everything else? Like how he has no lag in his aerials, how he has great Bmoves, how his aerials have great range and speed, how his moves hits behind him, how he has multiple jumps, how he has one of the best recovery in the game?

So with all that pretty much set in stone (anyone who says meta has slow aerials and slow ground moves have no clue what he/she is talking about), if Meta has any one good kill move (he has dsmash, upB, fsmash, nair) can't he make up the slightly less knockback by how he can rack up damage incredibly fast that THE MOVES THAT DOESN'T HAVE TOO MUCH KNOCKBACK NOW HAS?
Sure, I understand. Just because he has no real killing moves doesn't mean he doesn't have anything else going for him. But even then, those different aspects only go so far. Sure, he is very quick, has multiple jumps, great recovery, etc. but, in the end, he is very easy to kill and he can't kill. Regardless of all the other things going for him, he still dies earlier than most characters and can't kill.

He can rack up damage very fast but to take your opponent up to the percent necessary to actually kill takes a great deal of work and CRAZY SPACING. It's really hard and anyone who says otherwise does not play against people who know what they are doing.

Play the game before you speculate. Videos of guys playing CPU's aren't indicators to anything.
Like I said, I have played the game and still do. Whether you believe me or not is up to you. I am not saying he is not a good character, just that he won't be overplayed due to the immense amount of work it takes to use him. That is the point I was trying to make with my first post.

.kR0

Smash Journeyman
No, the main thing we're in conflict is whether or not he can kill or not. And the answer is he simply can kill. Maybe not a dsmash in the middle of final D at 100% but certainly you'll be able to get him off the ledge and get an easy kill via edgeguard.

Go watch Gimpyfish's video and you'll understand my point about Meta's edgeguard/killing power. And Especially how useful his Dair is. Especially the first vid he posted against a Lucas and you can see that nair/dair off ledges really hurt due to the fact that many characters depend on DI in the early part of recovery which meta can easily gimp.

And one more thing, you said his range is pitiful. That you have to admit is not true. Every single one of his aerials have absolutely ridiculous range considering how fast it comes out and how it virtually has no lag. Not to mention majority of his moves hit behind him. His ground games also has average-above average range. Ofcourse, no one can beat Ike in range factor.

DaFlameking

Smash Cadet
im definetly gonna main him. alot of people are jumping to metaknight because iunno, he seems good but once they figure out that he has little killing moves, they'll give up and then the true metaknight warriors will shine.

bandwagoners i say (not entirely since not everyone has played the game (i have played)) but they'll leave and the population will dwindle after a while

XtremeCJ

Smash Apprentice
he has little killing moves
Seems so I think.

BUT

Has anyone ever played the Kirby-games where Kirby fights Metaknight? I just loved those fights! Metaknight isn't one of those oversized final bosses. In fact, he's more like a skilled Kirby and even a bit dark.
I won't play Metaknight cuz he's easy to control or to kill enemies. If I play Metaknight, I'd rather want to beat my opponents to a pulp as long as possible. You guys also know that he has some fast moves, and I think he'll be kind of a replacement for Shiek [I read somewhere that she got nerved].

Besides, isn't Metaknight just cool? :D His head is nearly all of his body, but still he's confident enough to be the dark lord of anger with his bat-like wings..

What impressed me most was in the trailer of SSBB, where Pit shot an arrow, and he deflected it. The way he then went after Pit was ultracool..as if he's not afraid of anything, and he has nothing to lose. I like that attitude!

omg I'm becoming a Metaknight fan! :D

WingedKnight

Smash Ace
Well, this is answered then. The polls on the Brawl discussion have MEta Knight at about mid-range for votes as to who people will main. A lot of other characters, like Dedede, Lucario, Ike, and Sonic, are ahead of him. Therefore, we can infer that (Thankfully) he will not likely be overplayed. Dedicated MK fans unite!!

DaFlameking

Smash Cadet
I hope thats the case. People who havent played yet are saying they want to main meta knight. lets hope they figure out that he's difficult to kill and move on.

Like every youtube gameplay video with metaknight in it, metaknight 70% of the time wins and everyone wants to play him after that =/

real skill metaknight players plz

Senshuu

Smash Journeyman
MK seems like a good starting-out character, from what we've seen and heard so far. This (as well as his all-around Dreamland badassness) attracts players to him!

In the long term he may or may not stay as main for many people.

Snake King 1

Smash Apprentice
Checking every character for weaknesses, for &quot
I think that because he is called overplayed, he won't be overplayed because everyone wants to be unique. Which paradoxes to the fact that everyone will think that when he isn't overplayed, they will play him to be unique, and then it paradoxes back into the ''overplayed'' thing and he won't be played. And then we use the Portal gun.
that made complete sense. portal gun ftw I=:>] sonic, mK, pit, ike, marth, fox, wolf, falco, snake, toon link, and Zamus will be overplayed the MOST. after that is dedede, link, olimar, diddy, r.o.b., pt, and lucario, captain falcon, wario I hope i'm right

Lecto2007

Smash Lord
Definetly true meta knight already looks overplayed i mean look at gimpys videos almost meta knight all the time,
I wonder how this is gonna be online.

xigon

Smash Apprentice
Tiers...

Well. Tostart, many people refer to the tier list. This is a very very very bad thing to do. We all know that it was Fox/Falco that were the star of Melee. So if MK get thrown at top tier, theres no telling how much MK were going to be seeing. Personally, I hope that MK gets to low tier. I am maining no matter what force on this earth opposes it.

.kR0

Smash Journeyman
He won't be low tier, and he certainly won't be top tier.
Toon Link, Wolf and Marth seems to be the most solid candidates for top tierdom when I was practicing with them.

In Brawl it seems to be
range>killing power=speed>projectile

MK definetly has the speed and range aspect down.

PyroRyuken

Smash Ace
Well. Tostart, many people refer to the tier list. This is a very very very bad thing to do. We all know that it was Fox/Falco that were the star of Melee. So if MK get thrown at top tier, theres no telling how much MK were going to be seeing. Personally, I hope that MK gets to low tier. I am maining no matter what force on this earth opposes it.
With Gimpyfish winning most of his matches with MK, he won't be low teir. If most people playing MK lost he might become low teir, but that won't happen.

iMichael

Smash Lord
He's dying down actually....no one really plays Meta...if you look at the brawl vids...its mostly just Marth, Wolf, Toon Link, Snake, Sonic and Pit...Cap Falcon doesn't even get much play!.....so to those who are worried about him being overplayed...don't worry.

PyroRyuken

Smash Ace
He's dying down actually....no one really plays Meta...if you look at the brawl vids...its mostly just Marth, Wolf, Toon Link, Snake, Sonic and Pit...Cap Falcon doesn't even get much play!.....so to those who are worried about him being overplayed...don't worry.
I find this as a good thing since I do not like playing overplayed characters as much.

t!MmY

Smash Hero
NNID
t1mmy_smash
At the SF Nintendo Tournament, I saw a few Meta Knights there. He was definitely not overplayed though. Ike, Zelda/Shiek, and Fox were probably the most prominent followed by Kirby, Pit, and Peach. Keep in mind that most of these players were 'casual' and that only the starting roster was available. The competitive players that got highest in the tournament were Kirby (me), Zelda (Silent Spectre), Fox (Tang), Lucas (FoxRoar), Ice Climbers (Delphiki), 0-suit (t0mmy).

Meta Knight players seemed to do very well in the beginning of the tournament, but then were eliminated as things progressed. I don't know if this reflects very well as to how he will do in future tournaments, but it's a drop in the bucket to examine as things go.

HeroXL

Smash Journeyman
At the SF Nintendo Tournament, I saw a few Meta Knights there. He was definitely not overplayed though. Ike, Zelda/Shiek, and Fox were probably the most prominent followed by Kirby, Pit, and Peach. Keep in mind that most of these players were 'casual' and that only the starting roster was available. The competitive players that got highest in the tournament were Kirby (me), Zelda (Silent Spectre), Fox (Tang), Lucas (FoxRoar), Ice Climbers (Delphiki), 0-suit (t0mmy).

Meta Knight players seemed to do very well in the beginning of the tournament, but then were eliminated as things progressed. I don't know if this reflects very well as to how he will do in future tournaments, but it's a drop in the bucket to examine as things go.
I'm going to second that. At the LA Nintendo Tourney there weren't too many MK's at all. Also, Timmy I was in line next to your bro Tommy and ended up playing him :)

BentoBox

Smash Master
With there being a few hundred thousand ppl who'll own the game shortly, I seriously don't understand the people worried about being unique... Play for yourself, nobody cares.

iMichael

Smash Lord
With there being a few hundred thousand ppl who'll own the game shortly, I seriously don't understand the people worried about being unique... Play for yourself, nobody cares.
People sometimes just don't like playing popular characters. As for me I liked Meta Knight since Kirby's Adventure. I don't play high tier characters, but if Meta becomes high tier :( then I might drop him even though I grew up with the kirby series and liked him and kirby ever since.

Battle Toads were cool too lol

MetaKnight0

Smash Lord
People sometimes just don't like playing popular characters. As for me I liked Meta Knight since Kirby's Adventure. I don't play high tier characters, but if Meta becomes high tier :( then I might drop him even though I grew up with the kirby series and liked him and kirby ever since.

Battle Toads were cool too lol
So basically you're the kind of guy who depends on the tier list for character selection, except you choose for some shallow recognition for uniqueness.

How backwards is that?

iMichael

Smash Lord
True and to this day I **** with Mario.......

Fact *****

Edit: high tiers are boring....but lets say Mario is high tier in brawl....i'd still play him lol

Orpheus

Smash Cadet
I agreed that Meta-knight isn't played too often but I like it.
I dislike playing overplayed characters which is one reason I didn't want to play Pit.
I enjoy playing Pichu and young Link in melee.

AK42_METAKNIGHT

Smash Cadet
It seems like everyone seems to want to use/main Meta Knight. Does anyone think that he will become this game's version of Fox or Marth? Don't get me wrong, I love Fox and Marth, but it just seems like a lot of people use them. Your thoughts?
uh hello dude, not everyone plays a character cuz "he's the best" or what not some, no, almost everyone plays the characters they like. tons of people have wanted metaknight in and now that we have him, why wouldn't we play him. when nintendo makes a cool character, then naturally he is going to be overplayed. not just because he is so good. that is just a bonus

Taso

Smash Apprentice
Orpheus, quit bumping old threads without having anything to add to them. >_<

But to be on topic, people won't overuse MK because he's been labeled as a "worse Pit" for lack of a projectile and killing moves.

I think the people that label him as such aren't familiar with MK, but let them be ignorant. I'm fine with that.

MK will be top tier. That I can guarantee.

Top Bottom