• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Meta Knight to be Overplayed?

Corax The Cold

Smash Journeyman
yes very true, meta knight is going to be the character both you and you'r younger cousin pick and it will be more boring cause you are both the same character

middie23

Smash Cadet
he'll probably be overplayed, mainly because of his speed and damaging capabilities. he'll also be really easy to start out with for new players

Tom-Sawyer

Smash Cadet
Aparently it is extremely difficult to KO with Metaknight, but the same can be said for sheik. And she to is over played.

SilverKnight

Smash Cadet
Lol, don't use words like extremely.

Gimpy said he lacked KO'ing moves, as in moves that send the opponent flying.

He isn't that hard to KO with, you just need to rake up damage and than kill them in that manner. Don't make asumpsions. Also, if you are playing with items, which is usually the case, you can use them to assist a KO rather easily.

Meta Knight's highly damaging yet poor Knock back moves offer a "combo" type style that overwhelms the opponents endurence... The lack of a KO move certainly doesn't make him difficult to KO with.

DoodahIII

Smash Rookie
wELL dUH. Of course. He rocks, and of course people will try to main him at first. But based on the fact he is a kirby-link hybrid, i will definentely main him

t!MmY

Smash Hero
NNID
t1mmy_smash
DoodahIII said:
But based on the fact he is a kirby-link hybrid, i will definentely main him
Did you just assume he's like Link just because he has a sword? I guess so because that's just about the only similarity he shares with him. Even the reach of his sword attacks are not the same and are about on par with Kirby's. Some of his attacks reach farther than their Kirby counterparts, and nearly all of them hit soonet - but I suspect even that difference will be mitigated when we see the Brawl version of Kirby.

Lol, don't use words like extremely.

Gimpy said he lacked KO'ing moves, as in moves that send the opponent flying.

He isn't that hard to KO with, you just need to rake up damage and than kill them in that manner. Don't make asumpsions. Also, if you are playing with items, which is usually the case, you can use them to assist a KO rather easily.

Meta Knight's highly damaging yet poor Knock back moves offer a "combo" type style that overwhelms the opponents endurence... The lack of a KO move certainly doesn't make him difficult to KO with.
Meta Knight is hard to KO with regaurdless of how you use him. Meta Knight can't combo well, but his single attacks are automatically strung together(Thus, his design). This is a fact.

Also, this forum is actually dedicated to the majority of players who don't use items, so Meta Knight's KO problem will become an endeavor in tournament play.

SilverKnight

Smash Cadet
From what I read the lack of knock back lead me to believe that his moves had combo potencial. I never actually played him, so I was meely making an inference.

I still surmise that he will be decent at comboing... due to the little lag and close proximity that he keeps with his foes...
However, if you have more knowedge on this I thank you for the correction. I still have my own speculations and hypothes (regardless of how off base they are) though.

Yes and while the majority of the forum users do not use items, people in general do use them however. And the question here is over his use over a full scale of players.

I feel that KO's will in fact be easily pulled off with the assistance of items, and considering the purely competive smashing community makes up a minority of the overall players, he will not be 'extremely' hard to KO with.

I feel that in general from what I have gathered, he will be overplayed.
Among Smashers? Most likely the occurence will be smaller due to the rules of engagement prohibiting the use of items.

metaknighter

Smash Apprentice
Obviously MK is going to be overplayed...my ratio idea for online matches with metaknight in it are 3 metas for every 2-3 matches....in the first week, 6 metas every 1-2 matches. Of coarse, i will play as meta a lot, because he is awesome. But, about 90% of metaknight players are going to play as MK just because of his looks and stuff like that...and others such as myself will play as meta because they actually like the character because of previous games with him in it. But, trust me, if we get another character like him...like Dark samus, Ridley( who is awesome and my most favoritest character ever), or star wolf, the 90% of metaknight players will stray to them cause there the "newest and coolest" thing.

t!MmY

Smash Hero
NNID
t1mmy_smash
From what I read the lack of knock back lead me to believe that his moves had combo potencial. I never actually played him, so I was meely making an inference.

...However, if you have more knowedge on this I thank you for the correction. I still have my own speculations and hypothes (regardless of how off base they are) though.
Both Eternal phoenix Fire and I played Meta Knight at the L.A. Convention Center Oct. 19 - 21, so we're working off of more than speculations and hyphotheses.

I don't want this post to sound snobbish or anything, I'm just saying I can vouch for Phoenix's knowledge on the subject.

fire_wulf

Smash Journeyman
Both Eternal phoenix Fire and I played Meta Knight at the L.A. Convention Center Oct. 19 - 21, so we're working off of more than speculations and hyphotheses.

I don't want this post to sound snobbish or anything, I'm just saying I can vouch for Phoenix's knowledge on the subject.
To me you don't sound snobbish. In fact most of us haven't played the game yet and are relying on the experience of those who have to let us know how things were when they were played.

We should realize though that it was a demo and was made playable so the game can be improved before launch.... so any info given by those who played cannot be held iron-clad.. it may change before launch.. they are just given us the way it was when they played it.

BraveDave88

Smash Apprentice
I can see how Meta-Knight will probably be overplayed, at least in the first few weeks of the game. But after that I think we'll definitely see a drop. As Gimpy said he is very easy to pick up but I'd imagine he'll be quite difficult to actually master. I do believe in one of the game play videos an MK player has to actually get Mario (yes, Mario) up to around 180% before KO'ing him. I think his lack of killing power (outside of Galaxia Darkness) will eventually erode his popularity.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
He is DEFINITELY going to be overplayed. No question about it. Its the coolness factor, but because hes going to be overplayed, Im staying away from him, despite how awesome he is.

graves

Smash Journeyman
Yeah i think it might be overused. he'll be a good tier quick and everybody wants a fast swords man...
I think I'll main him I'm awesome as shiek! like everyone else I'm good with fast guys so Metanight's gonna own i think!!! :laugh:

Norm

Smash Lord
NNID
Sheldon86
There is no question that he is going to be over used i know i'm going to use him and so will you and you and..... you.

Norm

Smash Lord
NNID
Sheldon86
There is no question that he is going to be over used i know i'm going to use him and so will you and you and..... you.

ElectroBlade

Smash Journeyman
Yea I'm owrried about that, I like to use lesser-used chars (I used Jiggly in Melee XD) But i just like him too much not to use him.

LotusMyuushin

Smash Apprentice
I think that because he is called overplayed, he won't be overplayed because everyone wants to be unique. Which paradoxes to the fact that everyone will think that when he isn't overplayed, they will play him to be unique, and then it paradoxes back into the ''overplayed'' thing and he won't be played. And then we use the Portal gun.

heytallman

CTALL
I think that because he is called overplayed, he won't be overplayed because everyone wants to be unique. Which paradoxes to the fact that everyone will think that when he isn't overplayed, they will play him to be unique, and then it paradoxes back into the ''overplayed'' thing and he won't be played. And then we use the Portal gun.
Too...many...paradoxes!!!

*head explodes*

ZABE

Smash Cadet
i'm going to main mk bc i want to main all the sword characters
regardless of him being overplayed and anyother characters

Corax The Cold

Smash Journeyman
talk about over thinking it.

anyways MK is a newcomer and when the game first comes out i think a lot of people are going to be playing newcomers for an even fresher experience, but i dont think MK will be the most popular character, i think Sonic will be just cause its sonic.

Brawleri

Smash Journeyman
He will be overplayed at first. But some ppl will get bored due to the fact he can't get KO's easily.
And the true fans arise at that time. I don't give a **** about the fact that he can't kill. He's just so amazing.

QuickBlade

Smash Cadet
I agree, I think at first he will be overplayed but after a while ppl are gonna get tired of seeing MK's and Sonics everywhere and try to be more "unique".

ecstatic

Smash Journeyman
Within 8,000 miles of you, unless you're in space.
MK is going to be overplayed at first, but unless he's Fox-tier he's probably going to go down a bit after people get used to the game. He'll definitely be one of the more common characters, though.

People here are saying that Sonic will be overused too. Save the first few days/weeks after release, I think he's going to be rather un-played until people start to figure him out more. The reason I think this is because I've heard reports (more specifically, E-for-all ones) that say he's very hard to control, mainly due to his speed, but he also seems to have an overall awkwardness.

As for me, I seem to be very much leaning towards MK, and then Olimar, right now. MK is everything I want in a character, save projectiles (which would break MK more than Sheik was a few years ago.)

WingedKnight

Smash Ace
Pretty much agree with others, VERY overplayed at first, but eventually more will choose other chars to be unique. I would probably main him, too. That is, if not for the monster of awesomeness that is King Dedede!! :laugh: :laugh:

Staco

Smash Champion
I think it wouldn be that a loft of people play mk
sure, some, but not too many
look the threads for each character in the forum
look at the sonic threads @.@

Luteyi

Smash Apprentice
i'd ather play pit, since Im not fond of ball people. thought they both suck either way

DDM

Smash Journeyman
Metaknight and Sonic will easily be the most overplayed for the intrigue factor. As I did with SSB64 and Melee, I plan on trying everyone out to find my true main, and with all the newcomers there's a good chance I'll find a new one, who could well be Metaknight. I can't wait.

iMichael

Smash Lord
Of course he's going to be overplayed...but that doesn't mean anything. He may end up being a low-tier for all we know. We can't say that he's going to be the new Fox or Marth because those were high tier characters. I'm going to use (can't choose a main til I play the game) him alot because I liked him ever since Kirby Superstar and it's cool seeing him in 3d. In competitive play though...I don't see him being used alot honestly, but that's just me.

Norm

Smash Lord
NNID
Sheldon86
oh no question there will be so many MK users it\'ll be silly

\"Meta Knight users were bread to battle taught never to reteat never to surrender that death on the battle feild in service to Dreamland was the highest honer a Meta Knight could have\"

Top Bottom