• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A Meta Knight: Questions & Answers Thread (Don't make or reply to new threads just asking questions)

Dε√ilj∦o

Smash Journeyman
True about the DI. I need to get confortable with sourspotting and sweetspotting with Dash Attack.

I see. This is really sad. People need to chill down. Meta Knight has yet to be reconized as a top treat in this game, and while they roll around with their Shieks, Diddys and alike, we get hate because we find a dangerously amazing signature combo on MK? Well, haters gonna hate.

Last edited:

DR()BC

Smash Cadet
NNID
ChespinB
3DS FC
0189-9231-1892
So ive been playing Meta a week before his MAJOR buffs (I think 1.0.8?) but I always enjoyed playing as him in sm4sh.
coming from someone who used to play spacies exclusively in every game it was a weird but enjoyable switch.
i played falco in the beginning, realized he was garbo then i picked up Greninja, then the nerfs came so I went back to fox and he didn't feel "right"?
I picked up Pac because i thought he was interesting but dropped him mainly because i didn't feel like he really supported my play style (brainless rushdown)
what i wanted to ask is who else do you guys play alongside with meta or who do you recommend?
I love meta because he feels super fluid but he's so gosh darn light!

Amadeus9

Smash Ace
NNID
Amadeuswololo
So ive been playing Meta a week before his MAJOR buffs (I think 1.0.8?) but I always enjoyed playing as him in sm4sh.
coming from someone who used to play spacies exclusively in every game it was a weird but enjoyable switch.
i played falco in the beginning, realized he was garbo then i picked up Greninja, then the nerfs came so I went back to fox and he didn't feel "right"?
I picked up Pac because i thought he was interesting but dropped him mainly because i didn't feel like he really supported my play style (brainless rushdown)
what i wanted to ask is who else do you guys play alongside with meta or who do you recommend?
I love meta because he feels super fluid but he's so gosh darn light!
If you're going to play a secondary the best ones are sheik, mario, diddy, and rosa. They all do a pretty good job of having the same/better matchup against hard fighters for us while being easy enough to not have to dedicate the same amount of time to them as you are dedicating to mk. Only mk matchups that are truly bad enough to warrant a secondary are Sheik, ZSS, Greninja and possibly the ditto... MK dittos are cancerous don't play them if you can avoid it.

Jamurai

Victory is my destiny
NNID
Jamurai92
Do correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought Diddy is actually quite difficult to play well nowadays? Not sure, but I'd say Mario and Rosa are probably the easiest out of those you listed.

I also recommend Fox since he stands toe-to-toe with characters we might find difficult, his only truly bad matchup is Rosa which, of course, MK bodies. He's not that difficult to pick up either.

Amadeus9

Smash Ace
NNID
Amadeuswololo
no Diddy isn't really that hard he's just kind of fundamentally intensive. if you're good at playing the neutral and are okay and doing tech with banana you really don't have to invest that much time into him. most of his combos are pretty straightforward as well. Rosalina And Mario are definitely Better characters though.

Sensane

Smash Lord
NNID
Rneophyte
Dthrow is suboptimal because it's ez to di. And yah the hate was pretty severe and yah it definitely needed to come down. It only takes a few hours to research it on your own anyways.
If the opponent DIs I just use dash attack which can start up the combo, too. Or I just simply use a Shuttle Loop.

TurboLink

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4725-8278-5467
How does Meta Knight body Rosalina?

And are Meta Knight's up-air strings possible without tap jump on Smash 3DS? And how easy are they to do on Smash 3DS?

Jamurai

Victory is my destiny
NNID
Jamurai92
3DS stages can have higher ceilings for some reason, so sometimes the opponent doesn't die when they would do on Wii U. The combo is still easy on 3DS though, I think it's easier to adapt to opponent's DI without tap jump anyway.

Dε√ilj∦o

Smash Journeyman
Donkey Kong dies to our signature combo from 31% to 36%. Sweetspot dash attack to Uair x5 and Shuttle Loop. Be on point with your Uair string and it will work. At 31 and 32%, the opponent can still manage to DI properly Shuttle and Survive. At 36% he gets slightly too high for the 5th Uair to connect and its hard to get the two hits of Shuttle, but its still possible. I tested this on a level9 DK on Final Destination, so pick stages with same or lower celling height indeed. Need more testing on a real player but I think the string is impossible to get out of. Correct me if Im wrong.

Last edited:

TurboLink

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4725-8278-5467
3DS stages can have higher ceilings for some reason, so sometimes the opponent doesn't die when they would do on Wii U. The combo is still easy on 3DS though, I think it's easier to adapt to opponent's DI without tap jump anyway.
You do it without tap jump? What controls do you use?

You simply press X and A quicly one after another, like sliding your finger accross them.
You mean with my thumb placed over both of them?

Last edited:

Jamurai

Victory is my destiny
NNID
Jamurai92
I have my thumb placed so the thumb is touching both the Y and A buttons (or touching all four buttons on 3DS). Holding up on the control stick, I press Y then A slightly afterwards. I adjust my flight path by tilting the control stick up-left or up-right. Easy peasy.

Twiranitar

Smash Cadet
Does anyone have a picture (or can explain) about where the sweetspots and sourspots of both Shuttle Loop hits are?

Amadeus9

Smash Ace
NNID
Amadeuswololo
Does anyone have a picture (or can explain) about where the sweetspots and sourspots of both Shuttle Loop hits are?
There's a white flash above and slightly ahead of MK when you use Shuttle Loop. That's the sweetspot. If you cant see it go into to training and set the game speed to 1/4.

Twisted Jokerr

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
4442-1237-4201
Hey I'm a passionate Meta Knight main and I notice the night and day difference between Ito and Leo's MK. Ito is patient and calculates things out. While Leo's is fast and combo heavy. I also notice Leo has a lot of movement and knows bait and punishes really well without standing in one spot for too long.

Basically is there anyway I can increase my Meta Knights movement and become a faster player?

BoxedOccaBerrys

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BoXeDOccaBerrys
Besides his down-tilt for locking characters, what uses do his Up-Tilt and Side(or forward)-Tilt have?
under what circumstances should i use his neutral b or his side b?

im back to ask questions.

oxHUNTERxo

Smash Rookie
So I've been doing lots of seemingly perfect uairs x?? > shuttle loop combos recently that don't end up killing. I guess the reason is that I am not hitting the Shuttle Loop with the sweetspot. Any advices to improve my combos? Any ways to constantly get the sweetspot to be the one to hit?
If u hit more up airs u will prob kill earlier

ZTD | TECHnology

Developing New TECHnology
Besides his down-tilt for locking characters, what uses do his Up-Tilt and Side(or forward)-Tilt have?
under what circumstances should i use his neutral b or his side b?

im back to ask questions.

Up-Tilt is now extremely useful for starting death combos. Learn to perfect pivot Up-Tilt.

Side-Tilt is most a spacing tool but at high percents F-Tilt 1 hit confirms into Shuttle Loop for the kill.

Neutral B can be used after a Dash Attack or a throw for guaranteed damaged. If someone is above you on a platform, Tornado can cover most of their options. Tornado also covers multiple options on the ledge. You can also punish someone for using a weaker projectile as Tornado goes through it.

Drill rush is rarely used as the risk is high. It does have very good Knockback Growth however. I use as a mixup and also to beat out people using projectiles (it goes through more projectiles than Tornado). Also you can totally wreck peoples' recoveries with it because you can curve the Drill Rush so that they fall out of it. Its also hard to tech a Drill rush because its multi hit.

Bluekirby2

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Bluekirby2
I'm not sure if I should though, because I feel like I have too many mains and secondaries, and I'm not sure if Meta Knight would be good for any bad matches for my current mains.

And another question, how high up is Meta Knight on current tier lists? He seems like he'd be top tier.

Dε√ilj∦o

Smash Journeyman
I had huge trouble against an excellent Link on FG (yeah these are rare), his gameplan was throwing the boomerang, retreating, jabbing when I get caught in the wind, grabbing me if I dont. Perfect Shielding the Boomerang wasnt enough as I couldnt approach him anyway, Link's jab coming so quick and having long and disjointed hitbox. And he was placing traps everywhere with the bombs when I was offstage... Anyone has tips for this kind of matchups?

Jamurai

Victory is my destiny
NNID
Jamurai92
Link's jab is not quick, it comes at a sluggish frame 7. His lack of quick moves is a major weakness of his (CQC). You seem to be able to recognise habits so you just need to punish them. For example if you know in what condition he's going to grab you, roll or spotdodge it next time, and punish its huge endlag. Once you're in there, don't let off the pressure. Also learn to catch items like his bombs and use them against him.

KCsmash

Smash Apprentice
NNID
KaceyProGamer
3DS FC
5386-8840-6815
How does one DI out of Metaknights up air to up B string?

Dε√ilj∦o

Smash Journeyman
Link's jab is not quick, it comes at a sluggish frame 7. His lack of quick moves is a major weakness of his (CQC). You seem to be able to recognise habits so you just need to punish them. For example if you know in what condition he's going to grab you, roll or spotdodge it next time, and punish its huge endlag. Once you're in there, don't let off the pressure. Also learn to catch items like his bombs and use them against him.
Fun fights with you today.

So, im doing a bit better against Links, but now im playing on my 3DS, wich as we know is super laggy online, but I was able to PS, bait the jabs/something else, and punish. I think the MK - Link machup is a little in MKs favor, id say 45:55. I found playing well around projectiles really easy with MK, as I was fighting a lot of these type of char today (Links, Samus and Villager). However i can see the Villager machup being really hard, but it might be me not being smart enough against them.

KuroganeHammer

It's ya boy
BRoomer
NNID
Aerodrome
What's to be confused about, why is this move hitting Ness when he's clearly not near it.

I will pray 4 u.

warionumbah2

Smash Master
What move did the mk use? Down smash?

It loks like a get up attack, hitbox doesn't match the sword trail same goes for the last hit of fair but thats not as extreme as this.

Last edited:

Jamurai

Victory is my destiny
NNID
Jamurai92
DCape has a pretty big hitbox, including a bit behind MK. Was Ness doing something which extends his hurtbox?

KuroganeHammer

It's ya boy
BRoomer
NNID
Aerodrome
DCape has a pretty big hitbox, including a bit behind MK. Was Ness doing something which extends his hurtbox?
usmash, but you can see the hit effect is no where near MK. Unless hit effects snap back to the players being hit now?

Ghostbone

Smash Master
Dimensional cape hits super far behind MK, he might as well be swinging his sword in that direction too.

We had a completed list but we took it down because of the hate it brought. "Braindead character", "Ice Climbers all over again", etc. Not worth having in the opinion of many MKs here.
Why not just create a google drive spreadsheet or something and link it here then? Seems selfish to keep all that information from people who want to seek it out lol.

DblCrest

Smash Journeyman
NNID
DblCrest
3DS FC
0018-2708-3882
What uses can I get out of Mach tornado now?

I've used it for reading air dodges for some funny top screen KOs but that's about it.

OceloT42

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1993-9639-0577
I've been trying to perform it for a long while but after 2 up airs or so,my timing fails.
I really want to do that pro combo of uairs to Shuttle Loop
Has anyone managed to do it? If so,how? Could you shoot a video and post it?

Top Bottom