• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A Meta Knight: Questions & Answers Thread (Don't make or reply to new threads just asking questions)

Jamurai

Victory is my destiny
NNID
Jamurai92
I think he's prioritising school stuff right now. That's what I heard anyways.

warionumbah2

Smash Master
He entered a norcal tournament last week(or week before) actually, he **** on them again but went Lucina. He did the same thing with Sheik but if someone beats his Sheik convincingly he goes MK.

Only trevonte took a game off him so yea...destruction. He's still playing smash so ito fans don't need to slit their wrists.

Last edited:

Bellsproot

Smash Rookie
Halifax County, VA, United States of America
NNID
Bellsproot
3DS FC
2122-5480-5766
Hey guys. I've been shuffling through all of Sm4sh's roster since it came out for a main, and after going between many, i've finally decided on Meta Knight.

Sadly, I am not great with him, but I want to be. So, I want to know if you guys can give me some advice for him, like approach options, combos setups/strings, and just general advice.

Thanks in advance, m8s.

Steelballray

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Ray-run
3DS FC
1263-8867-0397
Bleeehhh.. No need to make a thread when there's already a sticked one for questions and such.

Steelballray

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Ray-run
3DS FC
1263-8867-0397
It's the thread sticked to the top of the MK forums with the words IMPORTANT and DO NOT POST THREADS ASKING QUESTIONS. I'm sure you can find it on your own.

EpicOswald

Smash Rookie
NNID
EpicOswald66
I know he's gotten nerfed twice, but I still just cannot beat good Diddys. They usually kill me easily with banana or dtilt into uair and they're just so mobile I can't seem to catch them. I'd rather fight a Sheik anyday. Any advice?

Bonk!

Smash Journeyman
NNID
IPAVGSSB
3DS FC
2638-1531-9991
LOOK AT THE MU DISCUSSION DIRECTORY OR ASK IN THE QnA THREAD.

pls c:

Katakiri

LV 20
NNID
Katakiri
3DS FC
2492-5180-2983
@Bonk and the rest of you guys, from now on, when people post threads asking questions let me handle them. I can just merge them into the Q&A thread so by replying to these threads, you're just cluttering the Q&A thread.

Meatbag

Smash Apprentice
NNID
KeithSprings
You can footstool and then dair, you cant dair and then footstool. It might accidently happen when youre edgeguarding with dair. Also dair can be used to setup tech chases since it sends you so low to the ground. On some characters dair into tornado is a true combo.

Foster J.

Smash Ace
I'm trying to get the Uair's to combo into eachother, but watching players like Jbandrew it looks like he's doing Uair fast fall rejump uair?

Meaing the inputs for the infamous Uair string is something like :GCU::GCCU::GCD::GCU::GCCU::GCD::GCU::GCCU::GCD::GCB::GCU: ?

Bonk!

Smash Journeyman
NNID
IPAVGSSB
3DS FC
2638-1531-9991
I'm trying to get the Uair's to combo into eachother, but watching players like Jbandrew it looks like he's doing Uair fast fall rejump uair?

Meaing the inputs for the infamous Uair string is something like :GCU::GCCU::GCD::GCU::GCCU::GCD::GCU::GCCU::GCD::GCB::GCU: ?
The reason you may have to fast fall rejump is because the opponent may not be sent high enough by some Uairs. This is really common when you start the combo at an early percent or against characters that have faster fall speed.

Meatbag

Smash Apprentice
NNID
KeithSprings

Doing up airs is percent based. If you try to start the up air string to early you are forced to fasfall to keep it going or else the character will fall out. An up air string that kills would just be jump upair, jump upair, etc...... then up b. Your focus should be on using combos which will lead you into the "true" upair combo. For example you have %100 and your playing against c.falcon use DA to neutral b and then mash b until it reaches 22-24 % then next time you dash attack mks up air combo should kill.

BrendanLee

Smash Rookie
NNID
2toned_hair
How do I deal with projectile characters (Toon link, Megaman) with meta knight? When ever I get close they just run away and reset the situation. ...and Im back struggling to approach using dair and such

Last edited:

Steelballray

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Ray-run
3DS FC
1263-8867-0397
How do I deal with projectile characters (Toon link, Megaman) with meta knight? When ever I get close they just run away and reset the situation. ...and Im back struggling to approach using dair and such
I'm sure DA clanks or hit through projectiles so use that. Down B sounds cliché but it does work if they keep charging their neutral B. it also has a nice hitbox and priorty to hit them through their projectiles even if they release them at the same time as you reappear. Just dont get too ptedictable. You also need to learn how to position when you use it so you don't kill yourself by falling off the ledge..
Also Powershield. That's the most important thing ever. And you must learn to catch item projectiles. I used to cry when I had to face Bowser Jr players but now I just wreck them cause I learned how to catch their walking chicken projectile thing.
Meta Knight is generally fast so you shouldn't be having much trouble reaching campers, tho.

Good luck.

Jamurai

Victory is my destiny
NNID
Jamurai92
Use your excellent ground mobility and multiple jumps to work around them. Perfect shielding is also important. Watch what their habits are for when you get close (eg. rolling into you, dash grab) and punish them for it. Clank and beat projectiles with moves like dash attack (mainly), Tornado and Drill Rush. Also DCape is great to punish projectile characters, if you read them firing something you can just DCape slash behind them. It's generally best to save this for when they're at kill % though (~110%) so you can take a stock. They'll be much more cautious afterwards, giving you more opportunities to approach. If you get a % lead (or a stock lead online), camp THEM out. They will be forced to approach and generally projectile spammers are kinda bad at approaching so you can punish them with your awesome combo game.

This is fairly easy offline, but dealing with projectile characters is more difficult online because it's hard to consistently spotdodge and P-shield their attacks, and punish stuff like rolls. Just try your best I guess.

Steelballray

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Ray-run
3DS FC
1263-8867-0397
From experience I usually get Dcape kills from the edge at something like 80% but yeah.

Edit: I totally forgot about Neutral and Side B. These moves should basically mean that you don't get camped.

Last edited:

Jamurai

Victory is my destiny
NNID
Jamurai92
I can see that if you hit them that way they will die early, but I'm imagining a Link spamming stuff at the edge facing into the stage, in which case hitting them from behind will require a much higher % to kill.

N~W .

Smash Cadet
Just dropping by to ask a couple questions at once instead of just making a new thread for that stuff. I'll ask more if I run into any problems. These questions mainly consist of edgeguarding with MK and apologies in advance if some of them are similar to each other. I just wanna keep these answers for future reference.

• What's the general gameplan when it comes to MK's edgeguarding?
  • What's the mindset I should have when going out to edgeguard/gimp someone offstage?

Having said that, how do I go about edge guarding armored recoveries or recoveries with high priority such as:

Ike's Up B and Peach's Up B?

Finally how does MK's Up B work mechanics wise?
  • What makes it so that the first hit combos into the second hit?
  • What do you need to do to get the sweetspot of his Up B?

Amadeus9

Smash Ace
NNID
Amadeuswololo
As MK you can chase people to depths of hell and back offstage. It's not always worth it, for instance in cases where an opponent has a recovery move that could challenge us offstage (though we don't care as much as basically any other character). You want to follow the opponents movements with your back to them. All of mks aerials are strongest from behind, bair has ridiculous knockback growth, dair has a slightly better rear hitbox (That semi spikes!!), and nair has a disjointed rear hitbox that will beat out other moves more often that you'd think.

Obviously getting the bair is ideal but it is the highest commitment of the three. Dair is the safest but by far the hardest to use. I have seen some games Ito has played, however, were he relentlessly abuses the semi spike hitbox on dair to push an opponent off screen at low percents with dair > dair > dair > recover. It looks amazing if you can pull it off.

If you're not going to chase off screen you have a few option and which you choose is largely based on your opponent. Against Captain Falcon you can just rapid jab his upb and he wont make it on stage until you stop or are pushed back too far. Characters with really high priority upbs you should just wait out on the edge holding shield. Maybe attempt a ledge trump > bair. You don't want to risk losing stage control when the chances of being rewarded are so low, especially considering MK really excels at challenging ledge getup options with tornado, jab, and fsmash.

UpB has a sweetspot slightly above and in front of MK that that will always connect into the second hit. It's pretty finicky. Sometimes you have to jump UpB after your u air combo to get the sweetspot. It's too weird to always get consistently tho. IIRC the grounded upb will always sweetspot if used on a grounded opponent though, so there's that.

oxHUNTERxo

Smash Rookie
Post here if you just have a simple generic question about Meta Knight.
Hi guys. I'm a new meta knight main. I picked him up recently. I wanted to ask everyone if they could give me tips, combos, or anything else helpful such as any advanced teqniques. Maybe I can spar with one of you guys.

Jamurai

Victory is my destiny
NNID
Jamurai92
Hi guys. I'm a new meta knight main. I picked him up recently. I wanted to ask everyone if they could give me tips, combos, or anything else helpful such as any advanced teqniques. Maybe I can spar with one of you guys.
MK Resource Catalog

Bonk's guide (Everything about Meta Knight)
My guide (Stuff to focus on when practising)

These three links should help you with whatever you're after.

tyro8

Smash Apprentice
NNID
tyro888
As MK you can chase people to depths of hell and back offstage. It's not always worth it, for instance in cases where an opponent has a recovery move that could challenge us offstage (though we don't care as much as basically any other character). You want to follow the opponents movements with your back to them. All of mks aerials are strongest from behind, bair has ridiculous knockback growth, dair has a slightly better rear hitbox (That semi spikes!!), and nair has a disjointed rear hitbox that will beat out other moves more often that you'd think.

Obviously getting the bair is ideal but it is the highest commitment of the three. Dair is the safest but by far the hardest to use. I have seen some games Ito has played, however, were he relentlessly abuses the semi spike hitbox on dair to push an opponent off screen at low percents with dair > dair > dair > recover. It looks amazing if you can pull it off.

If you're not going to chase off screen you have a few option and which you choose is largely based on your opponent. Against Captain Falcon you can just rapid jab his upb and he wont make it on stage until you stop or are pushed back too far. Characters with really high priority upbs you should just wait out on the edge holding shield. Maybe attempt a ledge trump > bair. You don't want to risk losing stage control when the chances of being rewarded are so low, especially considering MK really excels at challenging ledge getup options with tornado, jab, and fsmash.

UpB has a sweetspot slightly above and in front of MK that that will always connect into the second hit. It's pretty finicky. Sometimes you have to jump UpB after your u air combo to get the sweetspot. It's too weird to always get consistently tho. IIRC the grounded upb will always sweetspot if used on a grounded opponent though, so there's that.
thnkz dude i actually completelly forgot of jab not leaving falcon recover well and i was having problems gimping falcon sometimes because of his up b but now i know

warionumbah2

Smash Master
Down throw to sh nair is a true combo, deals more damage than up smash if sweetspotted and no matter how your opponent DIs it'll hit.

Its good against certain characters, not fast fallers that fall faster than sheik for example. After nair you can even go for a dtilt as a mixup, if you get a trip you can extend your combo. Its especially strong against characters who lack a frame 3 or lower ground move.

Last edited:

Bonk!

Smash Journeyman
NNID
IPAVGSSB
3DS FC
2638-1531-9991
Expanding on that, N-air is also a fantastic combo starter. At early percents a falling N-air will true combo into Dash Attack which of course will lead into more shenanigans. One great way to set up a falling N-air is off of an U-air into Footstool, but this won't work against fast fallers because they reach the ground too quickly before we can hit the N-air.

Aside from true combos, N-air is awesome for beating out airdodges and edge-guarding. In the event of an opponent air dodging something like a U-air, you can frame trap them with N-air. Off stage is another place where N-air shines because the hitbox on the back is very disjointed, allowing you to win trades against a lot of recoveries.

NNID
JONAR4567
Switch FC
SW-4457-8264-0220
Have people talked about MK's bair on this thread yet? It has a unique quality. If you hit the first two hits of bair and MK lands on the ground before he slashes the third time, your opponent will bounce on the ground twice. It's really weird and quite hard to land. The use for this technique is that when your opponent bounces the second time, you can hit them with a d-tilt at that moment. This will initiate a jab-lock (you hit the down-tilt three times because of this). Then you can follow up with whatever combo or powerful attack you want after the forced get-up. Does anybody have more info on this quality? (For example, is it character-specific? Or does it only work at certain %'s?)

Bonk!

Smash Journeyman
NNID
IPAVGSSB
3DS FC
2638-1531-9991
This was covered almost as soon as the 3DS version came out with a video from My Smash Corner. You can find it covered on the data thread's opening post.

Furret24

Smash Master
I've been playing as Meta Knight for a while now and have found great uses for a lot of his moves, my favorites being Forward Tilt, Down Smash, Forward and Back Air, Down Special, and Shuttle Loop.

One move I can't seem to find a purpose for though is Down Air. Outside of gimping certain recoveries (ex. DK and Link), I can't find a use for it. Is there something I'm missing here?

Tldr: What is the utility of Down Air?

W.A.C.

Smash Ace
MK's down air comes out at frame 4 (which is very good for a down air), it can be used out of a short hop without end lag if buffed, can work well as an out of shield mixup, can work well for air camping, obvious gimping potential, etc. I love Mk's down air, though I wish it had four less frames of end lag and/or better range.

Lavani

Indigo Destiny
Quick to start, quick to end, great angle of knockback (particularly on the center of the blade) useful for gimping offstage and setting up combos off missed techs onstage, can punish people for airdodging through uair + the above.

Top Bottom