• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A Meta Knight: Questions & Answers Thread (Don't make or reply to new threads just asking questions)

NextPain

Smash Cadet
NNID
Nextpain
I really like Meta Knight but I get my butt handed to me when I play him. Should I try to keep using him or just give up now and not waste my time. I feel like it's a bit late for me to start using a character like him who I'm sure takes a lot of practice
if you like the character and what to help the Meta keep playing as him you will get better with time but if your not interested to help the meta then play who ever

ghornas

Smash Rookie
How is your control stick supposed to move for up air strings? Is it just supposed to go left/right or do you go down sometimes to adjust the postion

Meatbag

Smash Apprentice
NNID
KeithSprings
How is your control stick supposed to move for up air strings? Is it just supposed to go left/right or do you go down sometimes to adjust the postion
Try to keep the

Sometimes you might want to fast fall to adjust your up air so the character won't fall out of the string. Then you want to adapt the up air to where youll be able to reach the character with an up b. So try to prevent the character from being on top of your up airs while preventing them from being popped out of the sides of the up air.

What are my options when Link is jabbing my shield :|
Usually you want to just roll away or towards him.

Unlike most characters we can't consistenly grab oos links jab because of his range, instead try to bait out his jab through movement and spacing.

Jamurai

Victory is my destiny
NNID
Jamurai92
When doing Up-B OOS properly, ie. cancelling the shield drop animation with jump and then Up-Bing, should I end up performing a grounded Up-B or an aerial one? I seem to be doing aerial ones and am not sure if it's not possible or if I'm being too slow.

Also, is grounded Up-B possible out of dash? I jump > Up-B quickly from a dash and only manage aerials as well...

EDIT: Never mind, got the grounded loops down now

Last edited:

Manthisis

Smash Rookie
for all my characters I don't use the c-stick for aerials. at least for meta knight, should i learn to use the c-stick for things such as fast fall up airs?

Steelballray

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Ray-run
3DS FC
1263-8867-0397
Hello Bat mains. Is there a guide anywehre around here about using the down B? Usually with tricky moves like this one I spend half an hour in training mode and its enough to figure things out but with this one I'm really struggling. The way I understand it there are three types of hits, and I'm supposed to press B before appearing to hit. Thing is I keep missing up. Sometimes I teleport and hit but I hit the wrong side, and sometimes I don't hit at all although I did press B. Please guide me. I really enjoy playing him but this issue is the one thing ruining the experience for me

Qazoo306

Smash Cadet
I can't give any advice on controlling the angle you hit, but you want to hold B for the duration of the teleport rather than just pressing it down before you hit to assure you attack rather than TP, but just TPing is usually better than attacking because it lets you run away from people and gain time to rethink your plan and stall really well.

Jeronado

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Jeronado
3DS FC
0920-1020-8081
Any tips for getting down Meta Knight's dance trot (or whatever it's called)? I can't seem to figure out the timing.

Jamurai

Victory is my destiny
NNID
Jamurai92
Hello Bat mains. Is there a guide anywehre around here about using the down B? Usually with tricky moves like this one I spend half an hour in training mode and its enough to figure things out but with this one I'm really struggling. The way I understand it there are three types of hits, and I'm supposed to press B before appearing to hit. Thing is I keep missing up. Sometimes I teleport and hit but I hit the wrong side, and sometimes I don't hit at all although I did press B. Please guide me. I really enjoy playing him but this issue is the one thing ruining the experience for me
@ Steelballray Steelballray Noticed you asked about DCape cancelling in the directory, this is the right place to ask questions. If you meant when you attack and when you don't attack, you just have to not hold B when he reappears and he will just reappear instead of slashing. About autocancelling, DCape autocancels at about full hop height (like Tornado), so if you finish at full hop height, you will land with no lag, able to shield/whatever immediately.

As for the different slashes, I'm not 100% sure (please someone correct me if I'm wrong), but I think it's right. Hold B, but release the control stick before he appears and then quickly do one of the following:
  • Push upwards: you get the upwards slash, I think it does 14%
  • Leave in neutral: you get the neutral slash, 15%
  • Push down: you get the downwards slash, 16%
They all have different hitboxes so it depends on where you will appear as to which one you think you will hit them with. Also, horizontal control stick placement affects the slash as well, but in a backwards fashion. Say you're facing right, if you DCape to the right and then hold right, MK will turn around and slash towards where he came from, which I think has stronger knockback. If you hold left, MK slashes where he's going, which I think has slightly weaker knockback.

Any tips for getting down Meta Knight's dance trot (or whatever it's called)? I can't seem to figure out the timing.
@ Jeronado Jeronado I assume you mean foxtrotting, it's just something you gotta practise in training until you get it consistently. MK's slide after dashing is longer than you think. You can foxtrot much faster going the same way than you can trying to turn around; if you try to turn around you probably have noticed he slides like mad, but going the same way is basically just stalling halfway through your dash to bait your opponent into reacting.

Last edited:

Kaffei

Smash Hero

Just keep practicing it, you have to delay a bit more than say, Falcon

Steelballray

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Ray-run
3DS FC
1263-8867-0397
@ Steelballray Steelballray Noticed you asked about DCape cancelling in the directory, this is the right place to ask questions. If you meant when you attack and when you don't attack, you just have to not hold B when he reappears and he will just reappear instead of slashing. About autocancelling, DCape autocancels at about full hop height (like Tornado), so if you finish at full hop height, you will land with no lag, able to shield/whatever immediately.

As for the different slashes, I'm not 100% sure (please someone correct me if I'm wrong), but I think it's right. Hold B, but release the control stick before he appears and then quickly do one of the following:
  • Push upwards: you get the upwards slash, I think it does 14%
  • Leave in neutral: you get the neutral slash, 15%
  • Push down: you get the downwards slash, 16%
They all have different hitboxes so it depends on where you will appear as to which one you think you will hit them with. Also, horizontal control stick placement affects the slash as well, but in a backwards fashion. Say you're facing right, if you DCape to the right and then hold right, MK will turn around and slash towards where he came from, which I think has stronger knockback. If you hold left, MK slashes where he's going, which I think has slightly weaker knockback.
thank you. This helped a lot. It sounds like something very useful tbh. I'll spend time practising it.

Last edited:

Jamurai

Victory is my destiny
NNID
Jamurai92
thank you. This helped a lot. It sounds like something very useful tbh. I'll spend time practising it.
DCape slash can be useful but it's definitely not something you should be spamming. It's mainly good for punishing a jab- or smash-happy opponent if they do it while you're in mid range. Otherwise stick to DA or grab for punishing since you usually get more damage off of them.

Amadeus9

Smash Ace
NNID
Amadeuswololo
DCape slash can be useful but it's definitely not something you should be spamming. It's mainly good for punishing a jab- or smash-happy opponent if they do it while you're in mid range. Otherwise stick to DA or grab for punishing since you usually get more damage off of them.
Honestly I never use the slash unless someone is disrespecting me by charging a smash attack, or they put them selves into special fall like an idiot but I'm too far away to use fsmash. It's really not all that great, but at least the reward is there now in that it has really good knockback, unlike the Brawl incarnation. Sweet spotting ledge with a teleport or using it to escape sticky situations is pretty good, though.

ZTD | TECHnology

Developing New TECHnology
Dimensional Cape is underrated.

Luigi spamming Fireball? You know he's about to press that B button again? Cape that ass.

Ness about to use PK Fire? Cape that ass.

Opponent charging some sort of Smash? Cape that ass.

Sheik trying to Needle your landing? Cape that ass.

There's a bunch of moves and projectiles especially in mid range that you can cape someone for. Obviously this is not a move to be thrown out a liberally but the threat of this move can turn someone off from spamming a certain tactic. Yesterday I played a Luigi in Loser's Quarters and I noticed he almost always placed at least 2 Fireballs when I was mid range. So I waited till he was about at 110% and then Dimensional Caped him for the kill. The fear was instilled in him from that point on. And he stopped Fireballing as much, allowing me to get in easier for my pokes and then retreat to the platforms while he tried to chase me. I did this until I timed him out. T'was fun.

Last edited:

Amadeus9

Smash Ace
NNID
Amadeuswololo
It certainly should not be overrated on the other hand. Its shortcomings outweigh its merit in most situations.

ZTD | TECHnology

I ain't saying its a great move. I'm saying its a very powerful mix up when applied at the right moments especially since it's a kill option.

Last edited:

Amadeus9

Smash Ace
NNID
Amadeuswololo
Nice edit, I'm glad you bopped that cheeky Luigi player. Conditioning is a hell of a thing. You could also condition someone by using the empty teleport often so that when your opponent hears the usual "fool" they immediately try to punish the teleport rather than think defensively.

I'm not saying "never use it", I'm saying "be very wary of using it because you have a lot to lose if it misses"

Steelballray

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Ray-run
3DS FC
1263-8867-0397
Thank you guys. This is informative as hell and I am really making use of everything you're saying. I use the Cape to punish them idiots who charge a smash attack near the edge attempting to edgeguard me. It kills pretty well. Although I wouldn't do it if the idiot in question is an Ike charging an eruption.. That **** hit behind him barely but just enough to blow me to the sky.
I love the DC. I'm not the best at juggling with u airs yet and I suck at doing it even more in omega stages so DC kills are my main source for KO's in for glory.
I did gain a stupid habit of spamming it and getting punished severly for it but I manages to lose it quickly. I use it as a teleporting smash attack and a punishing move at high percentages cause like you guys said I can get much more out of a simple DA in low percentages.
I also use it to hit in the air when I get a good idea of the opponent aerial habits. Got me some very early kills.

Thanks a ton guys, you're very helpful and I'm beginning to love Meta Knight a lot. Way more enjoyable than Luigi and needs much more thoughts put into him (not saying Luigi is brainless, I dont think he is) exactly the way I like it.

So yeah. Questions. 1- What do you guys use Drill Rush for? I use it when I want to punish a missed aerial but theyre not close enough for me to Tornado them. Any other instants where it should be used?
2- is there no way to get from a platform to the ground using DC? Almost lost a match cause I tried it but it didn't work for some reason.

I'm sorry to have clogged the forums with DC questions. I'm just really loving the character. Probably the one I enjoyed the most out of all the character I played.

Amadeus9

Smash Ace
NNID
Amadeuswololo
Practice your upair combos man. It's our bnb. You have to be able to do it when the opportunity comes. Sweet Spot dash attack, down throw with bad di, and sliding dash grab fthrow all reliably combo into them at the correct percentages for whatever character. It's covered pretty extensively on these boards, just read more about it and practice it more.

Drill rush is primarily a way to return to the stage, it's dangerous to challenge it because it can stage spike quite easily. It's not a get out of jail free card, though, there are ways to counter it. There has been some talk recently as well about using it to punish airdodges when the opponent expects an upb, or using it off stage to yolo kill.

DC won't go down thru platforms

Steelballray

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Ray-run
3DS FC
1263-8867-0397
Practice your upair combos man. It's our bnb. You have to be able to do it when the opportunity comes. Sweet Spot dash attack, down throw with bad di, and sliding dash grab fthrow all reliably combo into them at the correct percentages for whatever character. It's covered pretty extensively on these boards, just read more about it and practice it more.
I can connect like 3 but its still very hard.. I guess I have to fast fall them? I actually did search for combo tips few times in the resource catalogue and the beginners guide but I never found them.. Maybe I scrolled over them tho. Can you please link me to them?/I would be so very grateful.

I speak Spanish too

Smash Journeyman
What moves can you use to react to jumps(aside from Up-B b/c I don't want to stale it). I feel like FH U-air is good if you anticipate they will jump. At the ledge, U-tilt works well too.

Jamurai

Victory is my destiny
NNID
Jamurai92
I can connect like 3 but its still very hard.. I guess I have to fast fall them? I actually did search for combo tips few times in the resource catalogue and the beginners guide but I never found them.. Maybe I scrolled over them tho. Can you please link me to them?/I would be so very grateful.
Doing a full string is more difficult than it should be if you're doing it in training, because moves don't stale in training. If you want to practise lengthening your strings, try it in matches with low level CPUs.

If the opponent is going lower than you would like, fastfall + double jumping some Uairs is a good idea to keep it up. By the way, if you think you will drop the string early, finish with an early Up-B or even Nair or something; don't tunnel on landing the full string and miss out on free damage by whiffing a Uair instead.

Jeronado

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Jeronado
3DS FC
0920-1020-8081
@ Jeronado Jeronado I assume you mean foxtrotting, it's just something you gotta practise in training until you get it consistently. MK's slide after dashing is longer than you think. You can foxtrot much faster going the same way than you can trying to turn around; if you try to turn around you probably have noticed he slides like mad, but going the same way is basically just stalling halfway through your dash to bait your opponent into reacting.
I meant this in particular (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LISSQnPoio0)

Just keep practicing it, you have to delay a bit more than say, Falcon
I'll keep at it. Falcon and Little Mac are the only characters I can do it with right now.

I speak Spanish too

Smash Journeyman
I meant this in particular (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LISSQnPoio0)

I'll keep at it. Falcon and Little Mac are the only characters I can do it with right now.
Falcon and Little Mac are among the easiest to it with since you can interrupt their initial dash very quickly. In fact, Little Mac's is so fast that his foxtrot is faster then his running speed.

MK's is much slower and you can't do it back and forth nearly as fast. Still doable, but not really that useful since it's not fast enough to evoke pressure imo. Just a heads up. You're better off foxtrot+pp d-tilt

Last edited:

Jeronado

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Jeronado
3DS FC
0920-1020-8081
Thanks for the heads up, I guess I'll give Fox trot+perfect pivot d-tilt a try as well.

Rango the Mercenary

The Mercenary
3DS FC
2320-6400-7280
As someone who fought a Meta Knight as well as someone who uses him as a secondary, how does dash attack work? The hurtbox is huge enough to take someone out of a short-hop and still combo them. Does that mean his entire hitbox becomes more vulnerable to aerial attacks that normally wouldn't hit him since he's a short character?

Does dash attack always run MK past the opponent when it connects, or does that vary entirely on timing, causing him to stop in front of the opponent or "inside" of their hitbox?

What causes an opponent to avoid an Up B followup from dash attack?

And lastly, what are the risks to using it, such as the punishments?

Last edited:

jset818

Smash Cadet
I'm going to ask a question that I'm sure has been asked before but I did a search but couldn't find anything. What's the control scheme that most pro Metaknight players use for their Uair strings? Do they use tap to jump? Z/R to jump? C-stick to uair? Which way is the optimal or easiest? I don't own a WiiU so I can't practice it.

Amadeus9

Smash Ace
NNID
Amadeuswololo
I'm going to ask a question that I'm sure has been asked before but I did a search but couldn't find anything. What's the control scheme that most pro Metaknight players use for their Uair strings? Do they use tap to jump? Z/R to jump? C-stick to uair? Which way is the optimal or easiest? I don't own a WiiU so I can't practice it.
I am fairly sure Ito uses the completely default control scheme. It's really personal preference tho. You can do it with any scheme.

jset818

Smash Cadet
I am fairly sure Ito uses the completely default control scheme. It's really personal preference tho. You can do it with any scheme.
Do you have to do it really fast? When I tried to do it with the default Y/X to jump, it seems like the momentum of my character is moving downwards and while my opponent is getting knocked away from my Uair.

ZTD | TECHnology

Up Air also has three different hitbox/trajectories depending on where you hit them so that also plays in a role in consistent Up Air stringing.

Amadeus9

Smash Ace
NNID
Amadeuswololo
It's really percent specific, sometimes you have to sh the first uair or double jump uair (shorter than full hop, slightly), you have to be fast, and sometimes you have to fast fall between uairs. You also have to chase di by tilting the stick lightly left or right without accidentally using a fair or bair.

Sonicninja115

Experiment. Innovate. Improve.
Does anybody have a list (for all characters) of when the d throw to uairx4 to shuttleloop string true combos? I know for sheik it works with 4 uairs at 28-33/34% and with three uairs from 39-41% A link would be great if someone already asked this question!
Edit: I found a list deep in the dredges of the combo thread.

Last edited:

monzer

Smash Journeyman
My mains all lose to Shiek and but I've heard that Meta Knight is a viable Shiek counter in a video but he says that about a lot of characters. So is Meta Knight a decent counter to Shiek, or do they just have an even matchup.

Last edited:

Wintermelon43

Smash Champion
My mains all lose to Shiek and but I've heard that Meta Knight is a viable Shiek counter in a video but he says that about a lot of characters. So is Meta Knight a decent counter to Shiek, or do they just have an even matchup.
It's even or slight disadvantage. Probably even, but I don't think Sheik has any disadvantages anyway, and a low amount of evens, so Meta Knight would be good.

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
Who is a good secondary to use with Meta Knight? I finally feel that I am good enough with Meta Knight to main him...

ZTD | TECHnology

Most annoying MUs that are common/common-ish in the current metegame are:

:4zss::4yoshi::4sheik:

Even-ish MUs you will commonly deal with include:

:4luigi::4sonic::4diddy::4mario:(we probably beat Mario):4falcon::4fox::4pikachu::4rob:

Notable MUs we win:

:4ness::rosalina::4olimar:

No one beats Sheik. But Fox, Mario and Pikachu do better than most. You could also always ditto.

ZSS's worst MU is commonly believed to be Pikachu but also has issue with Sheik and Olimar. Some say Mario, Fox and Sonic can hold their own against ZSS.

Yoshi has issues with ZSS and Sheik to some extent. Some say Sonic, Fox, Falcon, ROB, and Mario goes even. Yoshi doesn't have any noticeably bad MUs.

I'd probably suggest Mario and Sheik first. Pikachu loses to Yoshi but beats ZSS (Yoshi isn't that bad for us anyway) so that is worth considering. I believe Fox is also a good choice all around choice.

Last edited:
Top Bottom