• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A Meta Knight: Questions & Answers Thread (Don't make or reply to new threads just asking questions)

Amadeus9

Smash Ace
NNID
Amadeuswololo
didn't want to clutter the CCI thread so I'm bringing this here, are you saying it's -5 on shield?
-8 on shield. You need an oos option to punish. It's unpunishable with a shield drop.

Pazx

hoo hah
NNID
Pazx13
-8 on shield. You need an oos option to punish. It's unpunishable with a shield drop.
That's pretty good provided you can space it well enough to avoid shield grabs (crossups for days). Should be outright safe against a lot of opponents. Pretty big win from this patch.

jset818

Smash Cadet
Hey guys, sorry if this has been asked before. I did a search and couldn't find anything.
When playing against a Meta Knight, what direction should I DI for the Meta Knight's upair string? And what direction for the upb shuttleloop?

ILOVESMASH

Smash Ace
NNID
Marioman123450
3DS FC
3368-1022-7382
Any reason D-Throw is used more than F-throw? Sliding F-Throw deals more damage and can combo into moves such as Up smash and Up air much easier than with Down Throw.

Qazoo306

Smash Cadet
Down Throw is more reliable and is easier to combo from. F-Throw is good if you can get a sliding one into Up-B at later percents, but it lacks the hitstun to be used reliably at all percents.

Steelballray

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Ray-run
3DS FC
1263-8867-0397
So I've been doing lots of seemingly perfect uairs x?? > shuttle loop combos recently that don't end up killing. I guess the reason is that I am not hitting the Shuttle Loop with the sweetspot. Any advices to improve my combos? Any ways to constantly get the sweetspot to be the one to hit?

Jamurai

Victory is my destiny
NNID
Jamurai92
Try doing an extra jump before using Shuttle Loop.

warionumbah2

Smash Master
Its weird, some uair combo's at certain percents will give you a sweetspot shuttle loop on a plate. There's no straight answer sadly, sometimes you need to jump sometimes you don't.

Staleness will effect the combo, on BF this combo won't kill unless you have a decent amount of rage.

Edit: And of course proper DI.

Last edited:

Steelballray

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Ray-run
3DS FC
1263-8867-0397
I see. I don't think I ever tried to do one more jump before the SL. I shall try it.

Thanks for the input guys.

Meatbag

Smash Apprentice
NNID
KeithSprings
Hey guys i need some help with the mk vs game and watch matchup. It's been a pain in the but since day 1.

Furret24

Smash Master
Hey guys i need some help with the mk vs game and watch matchup. It's been a pain in the but since day 1.
I'm not too experienced in this match-up, but I am a G&W main so I guess I'll try to help.

He dies rather early, especially to Shuttle Loop and fsmash due to his low weight. Try playing bait and punish against him.

He is really laggy on most of his moves, including smashes. Take advantage of
MK's fast moves and punish hard. Shielding is a good tool against him, since none of his moves are safe on shield.

It's not always easy, but try not to get grabbed. Game and Watch can rack on serious damage with his down throw.

I apologize in advance if this doesn't help you.

momochuu

Smash Legend
NNID
Momochuu
3DS FC
2380-3247-9039
i just picked up MK today. i'm trying to do his uair string into mario at 38% and it won't kill. i'm doing dash attack, uair x3 (a 4th one doesn't seem to connect), up b. am i doing something wrong or is it not a high enough percentage? i can upload a video example if needed.

Twisted_Jokerr

Smash Cadet
i just picked up MK today. i'm trying to do his uair string into mario at 38% and it won't kill. i'm doing dash attack, uair x3 (a 4th one doesn't seem to connect), up b. am i doing something wrong or is it not a high enough percentage? i can upload a video example if needed.
Mario is one of the more difficult characters to Roofie. There are two percents i found the most optimal,
27% Toe hitbox
33% Heel hitbox

You should get 4 Uairs, then one whiffed fifth. To land the fifth, you gotta go a little off beat from the 105 bpm.
http://a.bestmetronome.com/
Use this and go to 105 bpm and then tone it down to 100 bpm by the fourth click. you should land the fifth giving you your shuttle loop set up.

Let me know if this helps.

Amadeus9

Smash Ace
NNID
Amadeuswololo
It's not that hard, you just got the percents wrong. Strong dash attack hitbox kills Mario from 29-36 percent, 4-3 uairs. It's just all about getting the percents right, there's no magic trick to getting uairs. Get percents right > chase di > get sweetspot on upb

Steelballray

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Ray-run
3DS FC
1263-8867-0397
Don't do it in training mode. Do it vs a lvl 1 CPU with 99 stocks. Rage and staleness are huge factors in the combo and training mode doesn't account for them.

warionumbah2

Smash Master
Don't do it in training mode. Do it vs a lvl 1 CPU with 99 stocks. Rage and staleness are huge factors in the combo and training mode doesn't account for them.
Best possible method/answer for such a common spam heavy question.

Wish more people did this, Abadango became as good as he is because he worked his ass off.

Saryngar

Smash Rookie
NNID
PinchyTheLobster
Switch FC
SW-4182-9558-4701
Hi everyone, I am kind of new to the Smash 4 competitive scene, and I was wondering what characters are good secondaries for Meta Knight. Right now my secondary is Mario, but I'm not sure if he's a good secondary for Meta Knight or not. Any suggestions? (Besides Sheik)

Steelballray

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Ray-run
3DS FC
1263-8867-0397
You only need secondaries if your character loses an important MU heavily. Something like 70/30. MK IMO doesn't lose anything that badly. The Yoshi MU is very annoying but I don't think it's worth learning another character. If you're careful enough and fast enough you can take the win.

Also, only get a secondary if you mastered your character, otherwise there is no point.

Last edited:

Twisted Jokerr

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
4442-1237-4201
Yeah, keep Mario around for the zss MU tho. You will have a bad time using MK against her

Sensane

Smash Lord
NNID
Rneophyte
Hi everyone, I am kind of new to the Smash 4 competitive scene, and I was wondering what characters are good secondaries for Meta Knight. Right now my secondary is Mario, but I'm not sure if he's a good secondary for Meta Knight or not. Any suggestions? (Besides Sheik)
Pikachu would work against most MUs, but you should be fine since MK doesn't really lose to most characters.

ZTD | TECHnology

Developing New TECHnology
Meta Knight's only bad matchups (as in more than a 45-55) are :4sheik: and :4zss:.

And you don't NEED secondaries for either of them. If you're picking up a 2nd as an MK main, you're doing it because:

1. You don't know how to play the MU you are struggling with correctly.

2. The player playing the character you struggle against either knows the MU better than you do and/or the player is just significantly better than you and you're trying to figure out a shortcut to beating him/her. This usually doesn't work unless said opponent struggles really hard with a certain character but at that point you're CPing the player and not the character.

3. Playing MK solo is stressful and you think picking up a secondary may be less draining for certain MUs than playing as 100% MK.

Do what you want but be advised that typically the best MKs are pure MK users. They do this because the upkeep on the character is high and the learning curve/work required for this character is quite high.

Last edited:

warionumbah2

Smash Master
Adding onto "best MKs = Solo Mains" Abadango literally went MK all the way to top 15 at TBH5, which is when he went P-man and Rosa against Megafox.

His run with Metaknight was ez no one gave him a challenge other than Wizzy sending him to losers.

Last edited:

Katakiri

LV 20
NNID
Katakiri
3DS FC
2492-5180-2983
Meta Knight's only bad matchups (as in more than a 45-55) are :4sheik: and :4zss:.
I think everyone really underestimates :4greninja:'s MU against us. They are rare but they are a problem. No other character completely invalidates our Shuttle Loop. He completely changes how we play in a very negative way.

ZTD | TECHnology

Developing New TECHnology
I think everyone really underestimates :4greninja:'s MU against us. They are rare but they are a problem. No other character completely invalidates our Shuttle Loop. He completely changes how we play in a very negative way.
There are no halfway decent Greninja in my scene so I'll have to just take your word for it. You're the only one with quality experience in that MU thanks to Kero.

DrLobster

Smash Journeyman
NNID
DrLobster
3DS FC
4699-5880-7408
Who does Metaknight like to team with? Thinking about teaming with a local MK player, and want to know if my character (Diddy) meshes well with him (and if not, who does).

Sensane

Smash Lord
NNID
Rneophyte
Who does Metaknight like to team with? Thinking about teaming with a local MK player, and want to know if my character (Diddy) meshes well with him (and if not, who does).
As long as you play a more defensive Diddy and throw out bananas often and the Meta Knight plays more offensively

Appe3

Smash Cadet
The only thing I can advise you about the upair combo is that you should get them to the % where you just barely need to jump between the upairs for example 29-ish percent with DK from dthrow (not 100% sure if this is dash atk or down throw). On another note could I make a topic of the dash atk/dthrow to 4-5 upairs kill percents on every character? I'd like to help fellow knights out as much as possible. Long post, cause it's my first one lol bye.

DrLobster

Smash Journeyman
NNID
DrLobster
3DS FC
4699-5880-7408
As long as you play a more defensive Diddy and throw out bananas often and the Meta Knight plays more offensively
Okay, that's good. I usually end up playing of a support role in doubles, so that'll work fine.

BoxedOccaBerrys

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BoXeDOccaBerrys
I have a few questions
what are meta knights best combos?
what are meta knight's safest moves?
what are his best killing moves?
do his N-air, F-air, and B-air have a use?

Why was he called super OP in brawl?

Jamurai

Victory is my destiny
NNID
Jamurai92
  1. Best combo is dash attack --> Uair x 5 --> Shuttle Loop
  2. Safest moves are dash attack, Dtilt, Fsmash
  3. Best killing moves are Shuttle Loop and Fsmash
  4. Nair and Bair are your main edgeguarding moves along with Dair. Nair has not much landing lag and is pretty safe when used as a crossup, it also combos into dash attack at low %s. Bair is autolinked so if you fastfall during the move into the stage, you can set them up for a Dtilt lock situation. It also scales extremely well with *rage and is deadly offstage.
MK was just way overtuned compared to every other character in Brawl. He had very few weaknesses and was clearly on a level of his own.

Last edited:

Dε√ilj∦o

Smash Journeyman
Greetings.

I got a question Meta Knight boards, as I am looking forward to main this amazing character. This is also my first post.

Its been a week now im reading guides and sticking to training mode to test everything Meta Knight can do. But I need something that I havent found yet : a list of percents on every character to start Mks signature combo, Uair string > Shuttle Loop. Can anyone give me a link, if theres one ? Thanks in advance.

Appe3

Smash Cadet
So I'm not seeing any nos to my question so I'll get to work on the percents that "The Terror Combo" works at. As for Boxeds questions bair is the best kill move offstage, I have hundreds of edgeguard kills with it, shuttle loop is the most reliable kill move, but fsmash is good for a read or some jankiness in doubles. Meta Knight was ridiculous in brawl because he had: Great combo game, almost no lag on most things, AMAZING priority, crazy reach, awesome edgeguarding game, good recovery with even a glide to mix people up, sweet kill power and possibly most of all disjointed hitbboxes. He was basically the only top tier in brawl that didn't chain grab everyone till dawn, a good meta knight in brawl is barely touchable by the likes of me who haven't played brawl competitively, they'll just tornado upair shuttle loop you to oblivion. His moves were made laggier and harder to auto cancel in this game as well as changing shuttle loop, but I think that was a blessing in disguise now that we have the combo.

Katakiri

LV 20
NNID
Katakiri
3DS FC
2492-5180-2983
Dε√ilj∦o Dε√ilj∦o
Appe3 Appe3

We had a completed list but we took it down because of the hate it brought. "Braindead character", "Ice Climbers all over again", etc. Not worth having in the opinion of many MKs here.

I just advise you do your own research on it, it's not hard to figure out at all. Once you have a feel for it, you can figure out the percents for each character on the fly mid-match by remembering their character weight & fall speed.

I'll give you this tho: Typically late hit-dash attack is what you want at the earliest percents you can start the combo at and early-hit dash attack works very soon after the earliest percents all the way until the combo no longer works. Lightweights start around 10-20%, middleweights & light fast fallers (like MK) start around 25%, and heavy weights & fast fallers start in the 30's. If you're at 50% rage, remove about 5% from the beginning and end percents for the combo. For 100% rage, remove about 10%. For example: Normally, we combo Rosalina to death starting at 7% but with 100% rage it starts at 0%.

Dε√ilj∦o

Smash Journeyman
Thanks for the answer Katakiri. I indeed tested myself in the lab for each character ; i only had trouble with Ike, I couldnt get the combo on him with down throw until 40% at least. This is when I thought "dam man I need a list".

Really amazing how Meta Knight works in this game, I love it. Is the list you guys made really in the trashcan? Hate comments arent really a reason IMO. Im in the mood of testing on every character (even thought im more confortable with down throw and not dash attack) and try to get a full list.

Amadeus9

Smash Ace
NNID
Amadeuswololo
Thanks for the answer Katakiri. I indeed tested myself in the lab for each character ; i only had trouble with Ike, I couldnt get the combo on him with down throw until 40% at least. This is when I thought "dam man I need a list".

Really amazing how Meta Knight works in this game, I love it. Is the list you guys made really in the trashcan? Hate comments arent really a reason IMO. Im in the mood of testing on every character (even thought im more confortable with down throw and not dash attack) and try to get a full list.
Dthrow is suboptimal because it's ez to di. And yah the hate was pretty severe and yah it definitely needed to come down. It only takes a few hours to research it on your own anyways.

Top Bottom