• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Data Meta Knight Match-Up Discussion Directory

James Mesa

Smash Cadet
NNID
KitkaDoodle
Hi, im fairly new to playing MK and i was wondering if theres a list on the lowest percentages that a DA to Uair string to SL will kill on the cast? Also have any of you discussed the Yoshi/ Toon Link/ Pikachu/ Wario/ Luigi/ Shiek MU's? Im asking about those characters specifically cause they dominate my locals and would appreciate any help or basic tips.

WispBae

Tsundere Princess
NNID
The-Wispy
3DS FC
5343-7751-0954
Hey there, you masked swordspuffs!

Sorry to pull you away from all the MetaKnight x Lucina shipping, but the Doggy forums are currently discussing this MU and would love you input on it!

Click on Kawaii MK to go straight to the thread!

xXDR.SWOOCEXx

Smash Rookie
NNID
SupahHotFire17
Let's say you are against Capt. Falcon. What factors allow you to decide whether or not the match-up is in your favor?

Jamurai

Victory is my destiny
NNID
Jamurai92
  1. Previous results by high-level players in the matchup.
  2. Theorising about the playstyles of each character and contrasting their movesets and strategies, ideally referencing videos of said matches between high-level players.

xXDR.SWOOCEXx

Smash Rookie
NNID
SupahHotFire17
Would you mind walking me through a match-up? (I like smash but I'm just ok at it.)

Jamurai

Victory is my destiny
NNID
Jamurai92
Ok I'll attempt (possibly horribly) to summarise the Fox matchup for you as an example.
  • On stage Fox has somewhat of an advantage as his neutral game is much better than ours, he is really fast and has a lot of options compared to MK to get combos going and stuff like that. He also punishes quite hard and his high-pressure rushdown style can be difficult to deal with. MK is light which is bad because Fox kills off the top quite often with Usmash and Uair.
  • However, when Fox is offstage MK has quite a large advantage because Fox's recovery can be quite linear and MK is a very good aggressive edgeguarder. Also once MK gets in at low % he deals a lot of damage to Fox, Fox falls really fast which makes him susceptible to a long string of moves at low %. Fox is also light which is good for us as we kill off the top a lot with Shuttle Loop.
  • This matchup ends up at about 50:50 because Fox's advantage in neutral is sort of cancelled out by MK's advantage off stage, they both combo each other hard and it's down to the players to outplay each other rather than abuse a disadvantage either way.

Steelballray

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Ray-run
3DS FC
1263-8867-0397
What do you do against Rosalina's walls of autocancels? I can get in into any character's space and combo them but Rosalina form a rock solid wall of autocancels that I can't see a single way to get through. Worse yet I'm the one forced to approach because of her disjoints, them autocancels and Luma. Please help me. Any pointers will be appreaciated.

Steelballray

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Ray-run
3DS FC
1263-8867-0397
Hello. Tourny in five days and some great players are coming from outside of the city and stuff. A Yoshi and a Ness mains. I kinda have an idea about Ness but Yoshi I don't know a single thing about him and how I should play against him. Any advices? I generally understand I shouldn't challenge him much because of his framedata and meaty attacks but what else? Anything I should avoid or do against him? I also generally go very deep when I edgeguard should I keep at it against him and try to take his second jump or its better to play it safe? Thanks in advance.

ZTD | TECHnology

Developing New TECHnology
Hello. Tourny in five days and some great players are coming from outside of the city and stuff. A Yoshi and a Ness mains. I kinda have an idea about Ness but Yoshi I don't know a single thing about him and how I should play against him. Any advices? I generally understand I shouldn't challenge him much because of his framedata and meaty attacks but what else? Anything I should avoid or do against him? I also generally go very deep when I edgeguard should I keep at it against him and try to take his second jump or its better to play it safe? Thanks in advance.

Against a competent Yoshi, you will find it very very very difficult to actually take away their second jump AND successfully gimp them because of it. You are almost always better off just edgeguarding from the stage and trying to limit his options. Actively trying to edgeguard off stage against Yoshi means putting yourself at risk due to the fact that he can just truck though many of our moves with his Double Jump Armor. In addition, he's just hard to catch in the air in general. Between the versatility of Egg Throw and how crazy his aerial acceleration is, it is typically not worth it against competent Yoshi players.

From my experience, it's best to stay grounded and play Meta Knight's game. Try to catch Yoshi's landings and get behind him when you can. Respect his Forward Air but don't fear it. It isn't fast. It can be powershielded. But if you can't do that or you aren't confident that you can punish, just back off and reset. Yoshi wants you to come in, chase him, get mad while he dances around you and hits you with all sorts of crap. Stay in mid range. Don't sit in shield for long period of time. Be wary of the Eggs but don't fear them. Also respect their Jab; its good and leads into other stuff. Advanced movement options like great use of Perfect Pivot are a godsend in this MU during neutral.

I basically just hover just outside of their range and poke at them. When I see an opportunity for a punish on landing or a laggy move, I then go in. I try mix in rolls behind them to make them uncomfortable (they don't have a great answer to this) You'll want to definitely have your death combo down for this MU. Yoshi is really hard to catch when he doesn't want to be caught and if you don't kill him early, he can live past 150 + easily because of his weight.

Gemba Board

Smash Apprentice
Guys, what do we know about the bowser Jr. matchup? I saw visegrip playing at sss but I never played him myself. He's got some deep forward b setups and stuff I don't understand about that character. I feel like if I went against him, I'd lose pretty convincingly. Not just to him, but other competent jr players too. I just don't have a clue on what I should be doing or looking out for against this character. Anyone care to shed some light? I'll hit up their matchup thread as well, but tomorrow morning. I'm spent.

Steelballray

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Ray-run
3DS FC
1263-8867-0397
Hello. I want to ask about MKs matchup vs. Pac-man. Is any of you experienced in it? I would like to know how it should be played on our part.

ZTD | TECHnology

Developing New TECHnology
how well does kirby do against mk?
It's pretty bad. The Kirby boards will deny this but if you want to see, just youtube Abadango vs Triple R. Triple R got straight bodied in both of the sets they played. Kirby is extremely easy for us to Up Air combo. Light + floaty + slow air speed = MK fodder.

Last edited:

Gemba Board

Smash Apprentice
how well does kirby do against mk?
Kirby lacks the horizontal air speed to safely avoid mk uair sharking from below. Kirbys dair is nice but it isn't worth trying to suppress uair with it if uair could confirm straight into shuttle loop. Kirby dies early to a lot of mks move set too, especially up throw off a platform. And like tech said, if a mk does confirm into a uair chain, it's easier to finish it on characters like Kirby especially when you could end it early with one less uair and still get the kill.

Steelballray

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Ray-run
3DS FC
1263-8867-0397
MK has decent anti-airs in his u-tilt(my fav) u-smash and 2/3 hit of his f-tilt. I think that skew the match up even more in our favour.

DblCrest

Smash Journeyman
NNID
DblCrest
3DS FC
0018-2708-3882
It's pretty bad. The Kirby boards will deny this but if you want to see, just youtube Abadango vs Triple R. Triple R got straight bodied in both of the sets they played. Kirby is extremely easy for us to Up Air combo. Light + floaty + slow air speed = MK fodder.
Bit of a stretch saying the board would completely deny that as if they haven't seen the video.
The Kirby boards think it's pretty bad as well. I'm sure in the past maybe before the patches some didn't agree with it however.

warionumbah2

Smash Master
Kirby is extremely easy for us to Up Air combo. Light + floaty + slow air speed = MK fodder.
Honestly this, Kirby mains aren't the only ones but in general floaty character users think they can float out of uair combos. That's 100% false, Aba is like the 2nd best MK so him destroying Triple R(don't know how he's ranked among Kirby users) made sense.

Not as one sided as Aba vs Triple R at least. Keep in mind Zinoto isn't a seasoned MK user.

Funkermonster

The Clown
NNID
Funkermonster
3DS FC
3308-4834-0412
Only curious but I'd like your thoughts on the :4megaman: matchup. We think it's even for sure, but I've yet to hear much from the other side.

verbatim

Smash Ace
Hello. I want to ask about MKs matchup vs. Pac-man. Is any of you experienced in it? I would like to know how it should be played on our part.
I got double 0 to death'd by a MK so I took the time to read into this matchup... by which I mean I talked with a lot of people, because I could legitimately only find one video of the matchup.

Don't shield the melon, grab it. Shielding the melon let's Pacman grab it off of your shield, and it's significantly easier to grab with a dash attack than you might think.

Pacman struggles with killing, so if you are able to continuously pressure him (short hop dair camping is probably really useful here) and prevent him from getting the more powerful fruits in hand he'll be greatly limited.

If I could ask the general MK community, do any of you guys have experience with the Pac matchup? I'm working on understanding the matchup and I'm curious as to how MK responds to zoning characters in general.

Last edited:

Amadeus9

Smash Ace
NNID
Amadeuswololo
I got double 0 to death'd by a MK so I took the time to read into this matchup... by which I mean I talked with a lot of people, because I could legitimately only find one video of the matchup.

Don't shield the melon, grab it. Shielding the melon let's Pacman grab it off of your shield, and it's significantly easier to grab with a dash attack than you might think.

Pacman struggles with killing, so if you are able to continuously pressure him (short hop dair camping is probably really useful here) and prevent him from getting the more powerful fruits in hand he'll be greatly limited.

If I could ask the general MK community, do any of you guys have experience with the Pac matchup? I'm working on understanding the matchup and I'm curious as to how MK responds to zoning characters in general.
Katakiri has a pretty good Pacman, you should ask him. Katakiri Katakiri

iVoltage

$5.99 Abuser
So I've been out of it for a while but I have a friend who mains ike who i want to beat. Does anyone know if you can hit him out of his side b with nair? If so he should be pretty easy to gimp, otherwise I have to get him to pretty high % cuz I'm not going to pull off the unamed combo i can promise

RosalinA

Smash Ace
Battlefield. These stadiums are really homey.
NNID
EthanDL
3DS FC
3093-7662-4641
So I've been out of it for a while but I have a friend who mains ike who i want to beat. Does anyone know if you can hit him out of his side b with nair? If so he should be pretty easy to gimp, otherwise I have to get him to pretty high % cuz I'm not going to pull off the unamed combo i can promise
You should be ablue to do the up-air combo on ime and other heavy characters at mid-high 30's. You can get him there by multiple ways, but one of my favorite ways to rack on damage is to do a down throw to tornado, and you can get up from 27-30 percent on Ike and the rest of the cast, except maybe jigglypuff and G&W. You could also just dash attack him and go from there. Once you get to the mid-high 30's, try to get a dashing forward throw or a dash attack (you always want to hit the tip of yhe dash attack, and then start your combo. If it doesn't work then, it should work a second time. You might want to fastfall and then immideatly jump for one of the up-airs to keep the combo going. As for edge guarding, just go for the side smash on stage. If you miss, there will be so little lag that Ike won't be able to do anything about it, and if you trade, you win! Hoped this helped.

A_Kae

Smash Ace
Hello, Meta Knight players! The Marth and Lucina sub-forum has begun matchup discussion and analysis on the Meta Knight matchup. If you have any input to add, or wish to fight against a Marth/Lucina player for matchup experience, please join us at the following link.

http://smashboards.com/threads/vs-meta-knight-matchup-discussion-and-analysis.431301/

And be sure to check the directory thread for the rules and guidelines.

http://smashboards.com/threads/matchup-discussion-and-analysis-directory.414156/

W.A.C.

Smash Ace
How does Meta Knight do against Corrin and Bayonetta? I stopped playing the character, but I'd still like to know what are the matchups like for Meta Knight.

Amadeus9

Smash Ace
NNID
Amadeuswololo
How does Meta Knight do against Corrin and Bayonetta? I stopped playing the character, but I'd still like to know what are the matchups like for Meta Knight.
IMO both matchups are even. Corrins defensive game can be hard to get thru as mk, tho,

Amadeus9

Smash Ace
NNID
Amadeuswololo
A, is there Cloud MU discussions anywhere? I need it with all the new Clouds here in Oregon. Could anybody link me?
There is not because we're a bunch of lazy ****s, we discuss **** on discord then never post it here. DW, we'll have an "official" MU guide up soon x)

Top Bottom