• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Meta Knight 2.6 impressions

trash?

witty/pretty
Premium
NNID
????
saying what I just said in the social thread: if you think MK's vertical recovery is bad, you're bad with MK. learn how to recover with reverse shuttle loop.

PurDi

Smash Journeyman
You're really just gonna tell me I'm wrong? You haven't thought much about your opponent apparently.

Reverse shuttle loop is alright, but it leaves you onstage with lag. Easily punishable. DC up is slow, and it's fairly obvious where you'll end up, ie. easily punishable by a simple wavedash ledgehog. Mashing tornado leaves you super prone to meteors. What does MK have that can get back quickly and SAFELY from below the stage?

Actually no, I was talking about ... Dimension Cape
Right, thanks for clarifying. I was never big into MK until his PM version :/

trash?

witty/pretty
Premium
NNID
????
What does MK have that can get back quickly and SAFELY from below the stage?
pick a special. any of them, several of which work entirely well for ledgehogging like downb, or you're feeling particularly lazy, edgehogging via an upward airdodge is ez pz

these things require you to actually have precision tho, so again: if you can't recover well, you're a bad player, straight-up

tripwire

Smash Journeyman
OK so I split my 1st time with 2.6 between MK, the new Lucas, and Ganon. All I can say so far is that MK is very awkward, has pretty good grab game, and good gimps some of which i died during the process of. Is he like a fast faller or something? I'll try to stick with him.

Plum

Has never eaten a plum.
Premium
Does MK's boost grab give him any more distance than his regular dash grab?
I've been trying it, and most of the time it feels like I'm getting nothing extra out of it, but then other times I swear I get like an extra MK worth of distance. Either way, still worth doing because you get his dash attack sound effect playing on his dash grab which is pretty sweet.

trash?

witty/pretty
Premium
NNID
????
it's also true. if you can't be bothered to deal with the technical requirements to deal with otherwise problematic situations, don't play that character

nearly all of the "janky problems" people are whining about with MK comes from the fact that they don't want to learn the solutions to these problems

Nazo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Nazoplex
it's also true. if you can't be bothered to deal with the technical requirements to deal with otherwise problematic situations, don't play that character

nearly all of the "janky problems" people are whining about with MK comes from the fact that they don't want to learn the solutions to these problems

You just want everyone to drop MK so you can be the only MK main :shades:

Comeback Kid

Smash Champion
MK has so many different recovery moves and set ups, he just doesn't have any single braindead easy recovery option that works in every situation like some character do, so it just seems like a bigger deficit than it actually is.

Which is why I advocate for harder recoveries overall, because it won't be seen as unfair if almost every character needs to work a little to get out of a good gimp game.

trash?

witty/pretty
Premium
NNID
????
You just want everyone to drop MK so you can be the only MK main :shades:
but then MK won't ever be considered top tier, man. I ain't getting him there, that's for sure

I'm just stating that the dude's a character you aren't going to be ripping apart with day one. he got some o'them "technical traits" or w/e. gotta, uh, learn. I think you have to learn. I mean I've never learned ever, but I'm pretty sure

PurDi

Smash Journeyman
I'm gonna admit, I was totally thinking of a different situation on my second post. I have an easy enough time recovering with him when the ledge is free (eg, after a gimp, or an offstage kill), the situation I have problems in is when I'm recovering and the opponent is still on stage. What would be preferred methods of recovering against, say, an edgeguarding marth?

Also, thanks for the instant DC forward recommendation. It's working wonders as a mixup for my techchases.

Grab is too good. That is all.

SAX

Smash Ace
Wizzy, plup and I will be streaming this Sunday. Plup's MK is incredibly good. Positive he understands he character better than anyone else atm. It'll be very good evidence to show mk's true potential, since plup is also a extremely high caliber melee player. If you wanna see how a mk should be played, watch our stream this Sunday.

http://www.twitch.tv/smashstudios

Btw mk top3.

Aenglaan

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Aenglaan
3DS FC
0559-8074-9911
It goes without saying that his horizontal recovery is probably the best in the game, but for Meta Knight, his vertical recovery is lacking.

saying what I just said in the social thread: if you think MK's vertical recovery is bad, you're bad with MK. learn how to recover with reverse shuttle loop.
Shuttle Loop, while amazing for horizontal recoveries, is a hit-or-miss move for Meta Knight. You can recover vertically with it, but not as well as compared to the horizontal range with it. Furthermore, a reverse Shuttle Loop can be very difficult to pull off, especially when Meta Knight has better options for recovering.

The Dimensional Cape has a learning curve when used as a recovery due to the delay between activating the move and actually disappearing. If there is enough distance between Meta Knight and the edge, he'll be able to actually successfully recover. If not, he is at a serious risk of getting either getting the edge stolen from him, or getting spiked/ Meteor Smashed.

The Tornado, as I see it, has the lowest learning curve for new players and can work fairly well against those who are edge guarding. It has a decent speed, and it typically forces the person edge guarding to resort to some sort of defense or evasion.

trash?

witty/pretty
Premium
NNID
????
oh man, good MK players starting to pop up? fuuuuuck yessssssssss I'm down a thousand times over

PurDi

Smash Journeyman
Wizzy, plup and I will be streaming this Sunday. Plup's MK is incredibly good. Positive he understands he character better than anyone else atm. It'll be very good evidence to show mk's true potential, since plup is also a extremely high caliber melee player. If you wanna see how a mk should be played, watch our stream this Sunday.

http://www.twitch.tv/smashstudios

Btw mk top3.

When are y'all going to be playing on Sunday? I'd love to see some top level MK!

SAX

Smash Ace
When are y'all going to be playing on Sunday? I'd love to see some top level MK!

Not exactly sure WHEN exaclty, it's kinda just when everyone gets there. But I'd assume it would start somewhere in between 12-2. And we'll be streaming all day since its my Bday :p

JTsm

Smash Master
MK having his Brawl DAir in P:M basically means spacies, amongst others, will never come back to the stage. That kind of disjoint that sends at a horizontal angle would be even more broken in a Melee-esque environment.
Have a long cool down then

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
MK had a LOT of people playing him at Low Tier City this weekend in singles and doubles. My opinion of him changed a bit. I think he's got a somewhat janky kit, and he's kind of getting massively carried by how fast he can cover ground. Very much like Falcon/Fox in that regard because stuff only starts working out due to ridiculous run/dash speed and momentum carried over from running SH. You had to respect that part of the character, not because of diverse or interesting choices but because he's very similar to an old school Melee top tier.

I'm interested and afraid at the same time to see where people will take MK as the game goes on, because I feel like his ground game potential is too good for people to be flying around with SH aerials and Dairs and x options. The guy generates pressure in the same way that Fox Falcon Marth Sheik etc do by being real fast. I'm never gonna be super interested in playing MK, but heed my words. Staying grounded with him is super strong, don't waste your fun doing acrobatics.

Plum

Has never eaten a plum.
Premium
but but but has ~14 jumps
y no air
falco prefers air so mk too pls

But seriously, his ground game is fantastic. He gets to have a Marth dash dance with like Sheik speed, his grabs are awesome as are his throws, he has great tilts (not you Utilt :teemo:), plus his ground to air mobility is like mini Falcon which gives him excellent flow from ground to air. Then you can top it off with his air game flowing well back into his ground game. Delicious.

SmashCentralOfficial

Voice of SmashCentralOfficial
MK had a LOT of people playing him at Low Tier City this weekend in singles and doubles. My opinion of him changed a bit. I think he's got a somewhat janky kit, and he's kind of getting massively carried by how fast he can cover ground. Very much like Falcon/Fox in that regard because stuff only starts working out due to ridiculous run/dash speed and momentum carried over from running SH. You had to respect that part of the character, not because of diverse or interesting choices but because he's very similar to an old school Melee top tier.

I'm interested and afraid at the same time to see where people will take MK as the game goes on, because I feel like his ground game potential is too good for people to be flying around with SH aerials and Dairs and x options. The guy generates pressure in the same way that Fox Falcon Marth Sheik etc do by being real fast. I'm never gonna be super interested in playing MK, but heed my words. Staying grounded with him is super strong, don't waste your fun doing acrobatics.
QFT.

Anyone who has this "If you can't do _____ with MetaKnight then you're bad with him" attitude needs to stop stroking their Metaknight chubby. His weight and fall speed allows him to be combo'd very easily, and his "combos" seem very hit-and-run. By that I mean you get a hit or two, chase your opponent, and get another hit or two. Unlike the rest of the cast it seems as if he only has 2-4 move combo's as opposed to 6-8 move combos.

Bryonato

Green Hat
I've been noticing this over the past few weeks as well. Mk is a guerrilla/attrition character that relies on trades and movement to get in/out quickly

SmashCentralOfficial

Don't forget about is obscene edge guarding...
Jump off the stage and N-Air, hope you don't miss/trade, and try to make it back to the stage with your multiple yet super weak jumps and Up-B without getting gimped. Dat obscene edge guarding.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
MK's onstage edgeguarding is pretty solid. Doesn't need to fly way out there when he can trap your options getting back on. Most MK players there (at LTC) didn't really fly out unless you were Falcon Ganon etc. Fsmash Dsmash Tilts and onstage Nair seemed to cover a ton.

His offstage edge guarding I think is weak only because he doesn't have a good answer to people coming from below/diagonal. Like if a Marth wants to drift a bit and Upb from below, your brain would normally scream DAIR HIM DAIR HIM, but that's not an option unless you're ahead or want to trade (or possibly die. Infinity did the Dair suicide trying to trade stocks with me in teams one, and I got out and lived by the grace of god). When people come from below sure you can try to go for the edge and Nair or edge guard from onstage. but that IS the weakness about his edgeguarding (the other being that his horizontal kill/gimp potential from aerials is pretty low. A full blown Nair at like 90 offstage isn't even that nasty to eat up a lot of the time, and stuff like Fair will send you upwards so he has to think carefully, and let's not pretend Bair offstage will always work) Most decent characters make you think twice about going low: Fox Shine, Falco Dair, Sheik needles, Marth Dair Falcon stomp etc. MK only makes it risky if it's favorable to Dair in the first place. When people go low, unless you are 100% for sure your option is gonna hit, it's not good to drop down and falling Bair or Nair or x.

SmashCentralOfficial

MK's onstage edgeguarding is pretty solid. Doesn't need to fly way out there when he can trap your options getting back on. Most MK players there (at LTC) didn't really fly out unless you were Falcon Ganon etc. Fsmash Dsmash Tilts and onstage Nair seemed to cover a ton.

Agreed. On stage his edgeguarding is awesome. Sometimes I feel like D-Tilt at the ledge is his best option, but shielding their "get-up" and using Nair is also a great option.

shadow0x0cloud

Smash Apprentice
Agreed. On stage his edgeguarding is awesome. Sometimes I feel like D-Tilt at the ledge is his best option, but shielding their "get-up" and using Nair is also a great option.
IDC on the ledge is pretty good when they're trying to sweet spot the ledge. You can do the slash and then turn around to grab the ledge afterwards.

Bryonato

Green Hat
To be fair you can get pretty low considering if you jump and instant Uair you gain vertical distance. I think you can get rather low with bair too if you so choose too. His onstage edgeguard is definitely stronger as suggested but he still has good options offstage imo.

Ariyo

Smash Apprentice
How is MK doing against Mario? Mario's nair seems to destroy MK.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
It doesn't. Mario could lose that MU actually.

GingaBread

Smash Cadet

Agreed. I feel like too many people are complaining about MK not adapting their playing style instead of adapting their play style to MK's move set. Sometimes I wish PM wasn't a demo so people would just accept the characters the way they are and find the ways to make them viable for their play style.

Naughty Pixel

Smash Apprentice
I was super salty about his recovery, having played him a bit in brawl and how good his up b was in that engine. Now though i love everything about him. Note the only time i get salty off stage is when i accidentally input a d air. He has so many tools at his disposal from his dash speed, quick strong aerials, powerful out of shield options, tech chases like a boss,great disjointed hit boxes, good finishers.

What's there to complain about? his recovery? adapt.

Top Bottom