• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Meowth for SSBB

lanky_gunner

Smash Master
The Moon, with the Fierce Deity Mask in hand
NNID
lanky_gunner
3DS FC
3179-6065-1453
Switch FC
SW-6340-2624-9135
the thing about meowth talking and team rocket is that it was a part of the animated series, not the nintendo games. i think they should add more from the later games. my choice is heracross (slower but powerful) and blaziken (medium range) as to fit all aspects of the game, with which we already have the fast pikachu

DokturSea

Smash Lord
Meowth? I could REALLY see it happening. Of all the Pokemon I've heard suggested for this game, Meowth seems to be the most likely to me.

Heck, I'd try 'im out.

SensFan

Smash Cadet
colbusman said:
the thing about meowth talking and team rocket is that it was a part of the animated series, not the nintendo games. i think they should add more from the later games. my choice is heracross (slower but powerful) and blaziken (medium range) as to fit all aspects of the game, with which we already have the fast pikachu
Same with Pikachu and Jigglypuff. Pikachu was added into Pokemon Yellow as the main Pokemon based off of the TV show. And actually, Meowth also made the transition from the tv series to Pokemon Yellow, as he is always seen in the Team Rocket battles (I think... it's been a while).

Jenkins: Spy Monkey

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, Meowth was always a part of the Team Rocket battles. Every Pokemon included in the game so far owes much of their popularity to the anime. (I would bet that its the biggest reason Jigglypuff was included.) As far as Meowth is concerned, he's one of the few pokemon actually WORTHY of being in, both due to his popularity in both the TV show, and his adaptability (don't think that's a word) to Smash Bros.

xianfeng

Smash Hero
colbusman said:
and Jigglypuff was such a major character in the games and considering that the first series of pokemon was the most popular and only good series it is likely they will pick someone from that 151

Black/Light

Smash Master
xianfeng said:
and Jigglypuff was such a major character in the games and considering that the first series of pokemon was the most popular and only good series it is likely they will pick someone from that 151

No, I don't think their going to bring anyone from the 1st gen. They have 3rd and 4th gen pokemon that have not been in the game but would be great characters.

Also, you most remember that they said that their not chooseing just on popularity but on uniqueness and by what they could bring to the table. . . there are ALOT of unique characters in the 2nd/3rd/4th gens.

(The later gens were just as good as the 1st.)

Odendaalrust

Smash Apprentice
opinion re: the original question:I don't think meowth has a hig chance of being in it, and I don't think he should.

opinion-just-because: Effing put Lugia in there......OR EFFIN SNEASEL!

SensFan

Smash Cadet
Black/Light said:
(The later gens were just as good as the 1st.)
Not necessarily. The Pokemon fad started waning just as 2nd generation came out. The first generation was by far the most popular.

UNKN{OWN}iXi

Smash Journeyman
SensFan said:
Don't hit me! Hear me out.

You might not like it, but I think it's safe to assume we'll be getting at least one Pokemon newcomer in Brawl. Unfortunately, there aren't many central character Pokemon in the games (at least I don't think so... I really didn't play anything beyong Pokemon Yellow). Jigglypuff and Mewtwo were probably selected based on their significance in the TV show and the movies.

Now, Meowth is a character with some personality and some traits that make him unique (like being able to talk...). He would be a fine addition to Smash, I think. The only knock against him is that he's one of the original 151, and they'd probably be looking to add one of the newer Pokemon.

Thoughts on Meowth's chances?
Kudos to you because I was thinking the SAME thing.

Honestly people, how popular was Pichu compared to Meowth, really...

Meowth should have been added to Smash, even more so than Jigglypuff because Meowth/Pikachu are the two most popular Pokemon Characters in the show...

Shark X

Smash Lord
Now that they have Pikachu, Jigglypuff, and Mewtwo, Meowth is the only one I can see left thats deserveing, since SSB seems to favor the Pokemon Anime more than the games, which was proven by the addition of Pikachu and Jigglypuff (and I guess Pichu, because I see no reason in the games for him to be added).

DokturSea

Smash Lord
Meowth is #9 on my wishlist for Brawl pretty much because his chances are so high. I don't neccesarily want him, but I think he has the best chance of getting in more than all the other Pokemon.

Black/Light

Smash Master
SensFan said:
Not necessarily. The Pokemon fad started waning just as 2nd generation came out. The first generation was by far the most popular.

The frist gen may be the most popular/ well known but that in no way makes it a good choice to add in more 1st gen pokemon.

And people, PLEASE remember that they are NOT choosing characters based on popularity but on uniqueness. Meowth is popular because of the show but does that make him a good choice for a game that is not basing it's new-comers on popularity? No, it just makes him popular. Other not-so-popular-characters, like blaziken/ lucario/ deoxy and heracross have huge fan bases because they are unique pokemon. . .but not really popular amung the masses.

icymatt

Smash Lord
I'm for Meowth and Deoxys, and I guess for this Lucario fellow that just fell into my life, as I see them all as being cool, unique Pokemon that would be fun to play as. Of course, probably only 1 or 2 of them will be in the game.

I will attempt a Meowth moveset, and post it later on.

Shark X

Smash Lord
Black/Light said:
And people, PLEASE remember that they are NOT choosing characters based on popularity but on uniqueness. Meowth is popular because of the show but does that make him a good choice for a game that is not basing it's new-comers on popularity?
Three names. Pikachu, Pichu, and Jigglypuff. 3 non-unique characters who only made it in the game due to their popularity on the show.

Chidosengan

Smash Lord
You people really need to be carefull what you wish for. Things may not come out as cool or as balanced as you think they will.

Also, I never knew Meowth was popular. I thought everyone hated that annoying cat. Its evolution was cool though, forgot its name. Persian or somthing. None of the less, I perfer Meowth (or Persian) in a Pokeball then a character, just like he was in SSB.

#HBC | marshy

wanted for 3rd degree swag
BRoomer
I'd rather have Meowth over the other thousands of pokemon, simply because he was one of the most recognizable pokemon.

Shark X

Smash Lord
You thought everyone hated Meowth? More people like Meowth than that ****ed Pikachu. Well, most kids like Pikachu more. I guess us teens and adults root for the bad guy to kill that **** annoying Pikachu someday XD

xianfeng

Smash Hero
Not every Generation of pokemon needs to represented just the series as a whole saying every generation needs to be repped is like saying there needs to be a different Link from every Zelda game or a different Lord from every fire emblem game.

When a pokemon is added they need to be unique, popular and recognisable, Meowth is unique like I demonstarte in my moveset below, he is the 3rd or 4th most popular pokemon in world wide statistics or at least he was when pokemon was first released and he is the 2nd most recognisable.

Here is a short terrible B moveset for Meowth

B - Pay Day (Like his pokeball in SSB)
B ^ - Fury Swipes (He thrusts his paws fowards and extends his claws)
B > - Evasion (like Fox's B >)
B V - Scratch / Bite (Like Bowser's B > at far it is scratch when it's close it's Bite)
Super Move - He calls Team rocket and depending on how many people are playing a different Team rocket member comes out
1. Jesse - Arbok (does wrap)
2. James - Weezing (like Koffing but bigger)
3. Giovanni - Persian (Fury Swipes, stays on ground and scratches at opponent)
Each pokemon does 40% damage and the trainer laughs.

there is my opinion on pokemon in Super Smash Brothers Brawl

Muffin_man

Smash Journeyman
I'd really like Meowth to appear, (well, more than any other Pokemon character atleast), but most of my like for him stems from the cartoon version of Meowth. If he doesn't have his voice, then I'll be very, very sad. ;_;

Shark X

Smash Lord
Smash Bros like to copy the anime, hence their inclusion of Pikachu, Jigglypuff, Pichu, anime voices for Pokemon, and the Meowth trophy (and I believe the Misty trophy, but this can be backed up by no addition of the Ash trophy).

Meowth is one of the most popular, but I believe the order is this, 1. Pikachu, 2. Charazard, 3. Mewtwo, and 4. Meowth.

SMB PORTAL

Smash Ace
I don't see where I would like him in Brawl. I like the idea better that some other Pokemon, but I don't think I could see Meowth in the game. Now, these are my opinions (Yea, a whole lot, right?). Well, I just don't feel like many more Pokemon should be added.

-SMB

BIRDMAN22

Smash Journeyman
Meowth should have rights over other pokemon but the fact is that three of the four pokemon are from the original generation(not sure about Pichu). With all these new pokemon out there the developers will probably pick one from the third generation. If they get rid of one of the pokemon currently in the game then I can see Meowth being included

Black/Light

Smash Master
Shark X said:
Three names. Pikachu, Pichu, and Jigglypuff. 3 non-unique characters who only made it in the game due to their popularity on the show.

Well I have 3 resons to show why this happened. . .

1. Pika and Jpuff were the faces for pokemon(Pika in the U.S and Jpuff in Japan) and Mewtwo was the only pokemon villian at that time.

2. Pichu was NEVER popular in the anime( Meowth was more popular then him at that time). They only put him in to 1. rep the 2nd gen and 2. because he was a new form of Pika and they could make him a clone.

3. As they already said, they are not holding some popularity contast for who gets into brawl. They are choosing based on how UNIQUE a character is. There are way more unique pokemon and way newer ones then a 1st gen normal type cat pokemon.

Rash

Smash Ace
I'd love for Meowth to be in the game. He's a unique Pokemon that's proven himself to be a good counter for Pikachy. Thing is, I think that at this point it's more important to get 2nd/3rd/4th generation representation in there. The whole Heracross/Deoxys/Lucario deal is pretty much what I'm set on, at this point.

xianfeng

Smash Hero
Rash said:
I'd love for Meowth to be in the game. He's a unique Pokemon that's proven himself to be a good counter for Pikachy. Thing is, I think that at this point it's more important to get 2nd/3rd/4th generation representation in there. The whole Heracross/Deoxys/Lucario deal is pretty much what I'm set on, at this point.
Just give Meowth some 3rd gen moves there you go it's repped and you better keep dreamig on heracross he is very unlikely

Shark X

Smash Lord
Black/Light said:
1. Pika and Jpuff were the faces for pokemon(Pika in the U.S and Jpuff in Japan) and Mewtwo was the only pokemon villian at that time.

2. Pichu was NEVER popular in the anime( Meowth was more popular then him at that time). They only put him in to 1. rep the 2nd gen and 2. because he was a new form of Pika and they could make him a clone.

3. As they already said, they are not holding some popularity contast for who gets into brawl. They are choosing based on how UNIQUE a character is. There are way more unique pokemon and way newer ones then a 1st gen normal type cat pokemon.
1. Yes, but ONLY because of the anime. And Mewtwo was already popular before the movie, simply because as you said, he's the Pokemon villain, and the only known Pokemon/Man-made Pokemon/Anti-Pokemon that ever actually attacks and kills humans.

2. I don't see why they HAVE to rep other gens. They could of used something BETTER than Pichu for a clone, like Raichu. And I figured Pichu wasn't popular in the anime or anywhere, because I never even heard of the **** thing until Melee came out. And I knew the games only made Mew and Mewtwo and the One time catch Pokemon popular, so I knew they didn't make Pichu popular.

3. I never heard them say this. But it should also be those most deserveing, such as Meta-Knight, Wario, Diddy Kong, etc. Those that made gaming impact and history. Pichu never did either.

Thrillhouse-vh.

Smash Hero
Meowth is cool and all, but what about Poliwhirl??????????????????

I mean, he was in the fricking BREAKFAST CEREAL AND MACCARONI! The only reason I know this is becaus Poliwhirl is my favorite pokemnon. I don't know why, he just appeals to me.

Anyway, Meowth will probably be in SSBBB before anyother pokemon. good choice :p

xianfeng

Smash Hero
Meowth was popular before the anime in japan that's why he was given such a promant role in the anime duh, same goes with Pikachu, Koffing, Ekans and to some extent Jigglypuff.

SuperSmashMistress

Smash Cadet
I personally want to see Meowth. If we want to rep. the newer generations of Pokemon, just add more Pokeballs (Perhaps even specialty pokeballs like appeared in the games and anime).

Meowth would be quite unique if made correctly. It'd be nice to hook him up with some victory/in game phrases, too. You know his coin move (it's been so long that I have no idea what it's called anymore) would be implemented as a projectile, and he could be made into a quick close-range fighter.

We need another Pokemon baddy, even though I'm not much of a fan anymore. I'd be thrilled to see him done well.

Just my opinion, don't hate me for it.

xianfeng

Smash Hero
SuperSmashMistress said:
I personally want to see Meowth. If we want to rep. the newer generations of Pokemon, just add more Pokeballs (Perhaps even specialty pokeballs like appeared in the games and anime).

Meowth would be quite unique if made correctly. It'd be nice to hook him up with some victory/in game phrases, too. You know his coin move (it's been so long that I have no idea what it's called anymore) would be implemented as a projectile, and he could be made into a quick close-range fighter.

We need another Pokemon baddy, even though I'm not much of a fan anymore. I'd be thrilled to see him done well.

Just my opinion, don't hate me for it.
It's called Pay Day and on page 8 or 9 I made a moveset for him but it only consisted of B moves because I couldn't be stuffed to do anything else

Shark X

Smash Lord
Yeah, but Meowth would be along the lines of a, comedy bad guy, unlike Mewtwo and Ganon, who are the more serious bad guys, and Bowser, who seems to be made into a joke in recent Mario games sadly. Actually, yeah. Mewtwo, Ganon, and Meta-Knight can be the serious villains, while Bowser, Meowth, and Wario can be the joke villains. While the most evil villain of them all can be Pichu.

And the move was called Payday.

SuperSmashMistress

Smash Cadet
hehe, thanks guys. -really wants a candy bar now, though- >w<

xian: Sorry I didn't see your post. I just didn't read through all of the pages completely, just enough to set out my opinion.

Shark: XD Yes, Pichu is oh so scarey..with his cuteness from Hades! I think I like Meowth most because he is a comical bad guy, his antics made me giggle when I was younger, and sometimes I still can think back and crack a smile when I remember him failing time after time with Team Rocket.

DokturSea

Smash Lord
Yuna said:
I doubt Meowth will be in SSBB. He wasn't even important enough to be in SSBM (not even as a trophy)!
Lies. Check Antioch's post after yours. For some reason he had a guitar though...

xianfeng

Smash Hero
Yuna said:
I doubt Meowth will be in SSBB. He wasn't even important enough to be in SSBM (not even as a trophy)!
Oh my god this post is so very stupid, you havn't even unlocked every trophy yet have you? Meowth does have a trophy in SSBM he has trophy he holds a guitar

magar

Banned via Administration
See, You suck Sooo Bad That U Havent Even Unlocked His Trophy Yet, Unlock All Trophys Then Tell Us
& Quit being a ******* Yuna

DokturSea

Smash Lord
magar said:
See, You suck Sooo Bad That U Havent Even Unlocked His Trophy Yet, Unlock All Trophys Then Tell Us
& Quit being a ******* Yuna
And you can quit being a jerk. Yuna didn't know. Doesn't mean you can throw out insults.

Top Bottom