• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Melee Will Return For CEO 2015, Project M Dropped, Smash 4 Likely

The Derrit

Smash Lord
BRoomer
People said:
Smash 4 is the game that will bring in more people
Not really.

This year's APEX event has over 100 less entrants than Project M did last year, and I've gotten messages from around 100 people saying they would have gone to APEX this year but won't be because there's no Project M.

Number of events and competitors have not yet proven that Smash 4 is the more prolific option. Even after Project M has been notably discarded from the major winter tournament series and been more or less blacklisted on the two largest Smash streams (outside of Xanadu), the number of tournaments held and players playing has not dwindled significantly.

The only thing that's cut and dry is that major events will drop Project M for the Nintendo money. Acting like this is a meritocracy, or it's because it's what people want to see, or there isn't enough time, is naive. Organizers will run the game they want to run (Melee) alongside that other game that will get them a Nintendo sponsorship (Smash 4). There aren't other motivations at work here.

Azureflames

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW-0132-7109-3630
I don't understand why a mod of a game should have more priority over a new game in the series.
Posts like this need to be more thought out and less bias. Think from other peoples perspectives on this. Despite that fact that it technically is a mod for brawl...the players that play it don't consider it "just a mod". I consider it as much of a game on its own as melee, brawl, smash. Honestly i dont understand why a mod should get discriminated against and get the shaft, despite having great content and competitive enjoyablility.

Honestly though, it's not even about an argument to get smash4 out or anything. Project M players just want to see hype project M on a national level. I dont care if smash4 is there alongside other games, i just wanna see the game that i play there.

I'm not surprised. The hype of PM has been falling for a while. Most of my friends gave it up for Sm4sh.

I am sad, PM was fun, probably the MOST fun smash to watch, and I truly do believe it is in almost every way a better Melee (that said, I'm not a huge Melee fan), and this can only mean I'll be seeing less of it in the future
I dont know if i'd say the hype of PM is falling off for everyone, just maybe your personal perspective amongst your friend group. If anything, just give it time. I'm positive we'll get an upswing

on other news. SF5 will replace SF4 in major tournaments 2 years from now.

Tekken 7 will replace TTT2.

and Smash 4 will be replaced if not Smash 5, by 6 or 7 sometime in the future too.

Such is the truth in competitive FGs. Accept it, adapt and move on.
I can't see why there's so much issue with this.
You have to factor in that those will be finished products that don't get updates. Project M is a bit different due to the fact that we're still getting updates in balance changes. Every time it gets an update you can consider it a brand new game in a sense. You're saying to just "suck it up and move on" but it's not like PM is even old or deservingly getting phased out by a successor...It's still a very young game with rich quality gameplay, especially with 3.5 out now (thats why a lot of people aren't happy about this kind of news). It's also a little insensitive to people who actual strongly enjoy the game as well. Smash 4 is a smash brothers game but it is far from anything that PM has to offer.

Love it. Won't be too long before PM is completely gone from the national scene. Maybe if the PM crowd had been less obnoxious about declaring Brawl and Smash4 inferior and dead, they would have a little more support. Good riddance.
Why do posts like this even have to be made? This is incredibly rude to everyone. You're mad at specific people who are were ***** to you and the games you enjoy. Not everyone is like that nor should they have been. You realize that it was a smaller vocal minority that was being the obnoxious ones badmouthing brawl and smash4, right?

TBH i find more toxic talk from smash4 players downtalking project m and melee, calling everyone elitist assholes, than i do project M badmouthing smash4/brawl. If anything PM arguments have a basis of "smash4 and brawl are not AS competitively viable as PM or melee" and on that basis they think it's not as good of a game. A lot of Smash4 players critical on PM/melee typically have a basis of "PM/melee players are assholes and think our game can't be competitive, screw those guys". Toxicity from either side won't help anyone, especially not the likes of the words coming from posts like yours.

Honestly, there are SO many nice respectful PM players that dont hate on everything. If you play Smash4 fine. If you play brawl, fine. If you play melee, fine. But just because you dont play project M or dont like it at all doesnt mean that the game deserves to get **** talked.

Project m is dying, just like melee when brawl came out.
It's not dying by any means. the circumstances at Apex/CEO and project M dont mean that PM players will stop playing PM. Even the fact that at last week Xanadu exclusive PM stream got tons of views, getting another day added during the week for a PM exclusive day means that PM and its community is far from dying. There are huge amounts of people that enjoy playing the game and enjoy watching it.

Last edited:

WinterShorts

The best NEOH Yoshi
NNID
Jelwshuman
3DS FC
4382-2513-9345
OK. nope. I don't know hw to accept this. Project M not being held at Apex? Fair. It's a mod, not an actual game, right? Then CEO holds a project m tournament once, and they don't do it this year? Great, f**king great. I feel like Project M is slowly dying now. How can I accept this?

Animage

Smash Cadet

and Smash 4 will be replaced if not Smash 5, by 6 or 7 sometime in the future too.

If you have been following up on why this smash4/brawl vs melee/pm debate at all
They're just completely different games
If you're good at third strike, you're gonna be good at usf4
If you're good at Tekken 6, you'll be good at TTT2
In those games the fundamentals, at the very least, transfer from one game to another
In melee to brawl/smash4, it just doesnt happen. At competitive play, they're just completely different games

THK

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TheRedKirby
3DS FC
1005-9416-8042

Difference being is that the Smash community still plays all of them (maybe not Brawl, but 64 is still being played) on a relatively large scale rather than on special occasions like IT'S OLD GAMES TOURNAMENT TIME!

Doesn't hold the same weight. CEO I can understand, there's a lot of games there and only a weekend to do all this stuff in, but Smash focused tournaments tho?

WinterShorts

The best NEOH Yoshi
NNID
Jelwshuman
3DS FC
4382-2513-9345
Posts like this need to be more thought out and less bias. Think from other peoples perspectives on this. Despite that fact that it technically is a mod for brawl...the players that play it don't consider it "just a mod". I consider it as much of a game on its own as melee, brawl, smash. Honestly i dont understand why a mod should get discriminated against and get the shaft, despite having great content and competitive enjoyablility.

Honestly though, it's not even about an argument to get smash4 out or anything. Project M players just want to see hype project M on a national level. I dont care if smash4 is there alongside other games, i just wanna see the game that i play there.

I dont know if i'd say the hype of PM is falling off for everyone, just maybe your personal perspective amongst your friend group. If anything, just give it time. I'm positive we'll get an upswing

You have to factor in that those will be finished products that don't get updates. Project M is a bit different due to the fact that we're still getting updates in balance changes. Every time it gets an update you can consider it a brand new game in a sense. You're saying to just "suck it up and move on" but it's not like PM is even old or deservingly getting phased out by a successor...It's still a very young game with rich quality gameplay, especially with 3.5 out now (thats why a lot of people aren't happy about this kind of news). It's also a little insensitive to people who actual strongly enjoy the game as well. Smash 4 is a smash brothers game but it is far from anything that PM has to offer.

Why do posts like this even have to be made? This is incredibly rude to everyone. You're mad at specific people who are were ****s to you and the games you enjoy. Not everyone is like that nor should they have been. You realize that it was a smaller vocal minority that was being the obnoxious ones badmouthing brawl and smash4, right?

TBH i find more toxic talk from smash4 players downtalking project m and melee, calling everyone elitist *******s, than i do project M badmouthing smash4/brawl. If anything PM arguments have a basis of "smash4 and brawl are not AS competitively viable as PM or melee" and on that basis they think it's not as good of a game. A lot of Smash4 players critical on PM/melee typically have a basis of "PM/melee players are *******s and think our game can't be competitive, screw those guys". Toxicity from either side won't help anyone, especially not the likes of the words coming from posts like yours.

Honestly, there are SO many nice respectful PM players that dont hate on everything. If you play Smash4 fine. If you play brawl, fine. If you play melee, fine. But just because you dont play project M or dont like it at all doesnt mean that the game deserves to get **** talked.

It's not dying by any means. the circumstances at Apex/CEO and project M dont mean that PM players will stop playing PM. Even the fact that at last week Xanadu exclusive PM stream got tons of views, getting another day added during the week for a PM exclusive day means that PM and its community is far from dying. There are huge amounts of people that enjoy playing the game and enjoy watching it.
I just saw this post right after posting mine. Huh, talk about instantly losing depression.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
I wonder if this board would be so upset if Melee had been dropped instead of Project M, because thinking the NEW smash bros game would not be hosted at a tournament the year Nintendo started to care about them, is absolutely illogical at its core.

If the resources for only two Smash games are there, then it is clearly going to be 1- Smash 4, and 2- another game.

D

Deleted member

Yes, they would. Just recently Hax is taking a hiatus. Mang0 apparently only has "1-2 years of fox left". However, new players are popping up all the time. There is a 14 year old Tink player (Lunchables) who 0-death'd Sethlon (PMDT, Roy player).
Instead of referencing the fact that I've beaten him multiple times, I like how you mention how I've 0 to death'd him.

lol.

CEOJebailey

The People's Organizer
Jebailey here. I just wanted to chime in after everything and I have no problems being upfront with the community since CEO will always get its biggest support from the community directly.

I loved PM last year(Minus the coaching that took forever between sets). Working with the PM team to create a CEO Stage was flat out amazing and those guys deserve all the credit in the world, modded game or not, for putting so much passion into it.

I have yet to have any direct interaction with Nintendo for CEO at all. Would I love to talk to them about some sort of support, of course. I'm a Nintendo fan boy since I was 4 years old. Any time official support comes to a tournament in the past few years it's helped the games featured. However the community itself supported CEO in a huge way itself between Melee and PM so hosting it is no problem at all especially with @RagingCherry and the UCF Gaming Knights doing such a kick ass job.

From a marketing standpoint, all their focus is on Smash 4 now that's it's out for a bit. Who knows if it'll last past this year. I just know to keep PM alive for the fans, streaming it or hosting it at any big event could cause issues such as having the game taken down for good. Not trying to stir things up but I just want to clear the air that the decision isn't really ours to make otherwise I'd be up for hosting it. Although I was honest when I said hosting 3 different Smash Games at an event with more than just Smash would definitely be a challenge.

So I'm sorry to the Diehard PM fans that your game isn't featured this year. I try to please as many people as I can with CEO and feature as much as I can without going overboard but for the most part it's something I'd rather not deal with worrying about it getting shut down right before the event happens and what not. Just cause one or 2 events aren't hosting a game doesn't mean stop playing it. If your local community plays it, keep having fun and enjoying it.

With that said It'll be my pleasure to host the Smash Community again this year and hope to see you guys there. If anything changes for the better on the PM front I won't hesitate to talk about it.

Z-Rock

Smash Rookie

If Capcom announced that SF5 was going to be 3D without the ability to link or cancel moves thus removing combos. People would stop playing it in favor of the older ones. We did the same when Brawl came out. PM is the closest thing to a sequel we've ever had, and if Nintendo released it, it may have replaced Melee (though I still prefer Melee myself). There's issue with this because PM fans don't wanna witness the death of their game in favor of Brawl 2.0.

LimitCrown

Smash Ace
NNID
LimitCrown
3DS FC
0903-2850-8324

It is still a mod of Brawl created in order to make most of the game's mechanics more like Melee. Also, as said in the article, only two Super Smash Bros. games would be available due to a lack of extra resources and time, so it doesn't make sense to be angry about Project M not being one of them. People are overreacting.

On a side note, I have a feeling that some don't want Super Smash Bros. 4 to have a successful competitive scene because it is not similar enough to Melee.

MegaMissingno

Smash Ace
NNID
missingno
If you're good at third strike, you're gonna be good at usf4
If you're good at Tekken 6, you'll be good at TTT2
Actually 3rd Strike is leagues different from USF4, parries more or less change everything. The neutral game is such a different beast. And people still play 3S today, there was a pretty big turnout for it at 37 Reloaded 2 months ago.
TTT2 on the other hand is literally just T6, right down to the engine and assets, with some more characters and tag mechanics added on top. I know there's some people who don't like the tag mechanics, but you can basically play T6 within TTT2 by just having both players play solo mode if you wanted to. So yeah.

But on the flipside, consider two major counterexamples: Street Fighter x Tekken and Tekken Revolution. Both major flops that made their communities go back to AE and TTT2.

THK

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TheRedKirby
3DS FC
1005-9416-8042
PMDT should try getting PM Greenlit on steam and then maybe Valve will buy it and make new characters for it that all play exactly the same and call it PM 2 :p
You've been running around everywhere saying this. No. No no. No.

CPU-Z

Smash Rookie
Jebailey here. I just wanted to chime in after everything and I have no problems being upfront with the community since CEO will always get its biggest support from the community directly.

I loved PM last year(Minus the coaching that took forever between sets). Working with the PM team to create a CEO Stage was flat out amazing and those guys deserve all the credit in the world, modded game or not, for putting so much passion into it.

I have yet to have any direct interaction with Nintendo for CEO at all. Would I love to talk to them about some sort of support, of course. I'm a Nintendo fan boy since I was 4 years old. Any time official support comes to a tournament in the past few years it's helped the games featured. However the community itself supported CEO in a huge way itself between Melee and PM so hosting it is no problem at all especially with @RagingCherry and the UCF Gaming Knights doing such a kick *** job.

From a marketing standpoint, all their focus is on Smash 4 now that's it's out for a bit. Who knows if it'll last past this year. I just know to keep PM alive for the fans, streaming it or hosting it at any big event could cause issues such as having the game taken down for good. Not trying to stir things up but I just want to clear the air that the decision isn't really ours to make otherwise I'd be up for hosting it. Although I was honest when I said hosting 3 different Smash Games at an event with more than just Smash would definitely be a challenge.

So I'm sorry to the Diehard PM fans that your game isn't featured this year. I try to please as many people as I can with CEO and feature as much as I can without going overboard but for the most part it's something I'd rather not deal with worrying about it getting shut down right before the event happens and what not. Just cause one or 2 events aren't hosting a game doesn't mean stop playing it. If your local community plays it, keep having fun and enjoying it.

With that said It'll be my pleasure to host the Smash Community again this year and hope to see you guys there. If anything changes for the better on the PM front I won't hesitate to talk about it.
This was super awesome of you to come out and clear up all the confusion. I wholeheartedly understand the situation, and intend on watching CEO this year regardless. Thanks.

MegaMissingno

Smash Ace
NNID
missingno
I really don't blame you Jebailey, for an overall FGC event running a lot of games having room for only two Smashes is understandable. I'm just venting about the overall trend with a lot of events dropping us. Apex, qualifiers shoving us offstream, VGBC, etc. Put 'em all together and that's what has me depressed.

And most of all I'm angry at the folks in this thread who have the nerve to cheer this and say our game should die. What is wrong with people?

WinterShorts

The best NEOH Yoshi
NNID
Jelwshuman
3DS FC
4382-2513-9345

I have yet to have any direct interaction with Nintendo for CEO at all. Would I love to talk to them about some sort of support, of course. I'm a Nintendo fan boy since I was 4 years old. Any time official support comes to a tournament in the past few years it's helped the games featured. However the community itself supported CEO in a huge way itself between Melee and PM so hosting it is no problem at all especially with @RagingCherry and the UCF Gaming Knights doing such a kick *** job.

So smash 4 is just popular at the moment and needs to be recognized more as a competive game? Um, something along those lines? PM hype will have to wait? Am I getting this right?

CEOJebailey

The People's Organizer
I really don't blame you Jebailey, for an overall FGC event running a lot of games having room for only two Smashes is understandable. I'm just venting about the overall trend with a lot of events dropping us. Apex, qualifiers shoving us offstream, VGBC, etc. Put 'em all together and that's what has me depressed.

And most of all I'm angry at the folks in this thread who have the nerve to cheer this and say our game should die. What is wrong with people?
Yeah I totally agree. People say the darnest things online without any remorse or consideration for others. Some of those kids need to get their views on life and gaming in check.

As a player myself, it's one of those situations where we gotta be patient and wait it out. I imagine after a year or 2 if Smash 4 doesn't take off as some people hope that PM will make a return to big events again. Time till tell.

Phazon117

Smash Rookie
NNID
Phazon117
3DS FC
0275-8911-6156
Project M isn't my cup of tea, but don't hoot and holler over it occasionally getting the shaft. It's a Smash Bros. game, through and through.

Phazon117

Smash Rookie
NNID
Phazon117
3DS FC
0275-8911-6156
At the same time it's really annoying to **** all over Smash 4 because "durrrrr brawl 2.0".

WinterShorts

The best NEOH Yoshi
NNID
Jelwshuman
3DS FC
4382-2513-9345
I wonder if this board would be so upset if Melee had been dropped instead of Project M, because thinking the NEW smash bros game would not be hosted at a tournament the year Nintendo started to care about them, is absolutely illogical at its core.

If the resources for only two Smash games are there, then it is clearly going to be 1- Smash 4, and 2- another game.
Trust me, the Melee elitists that think PM is a worse game if not bad game that grew up with the game with thier friends and played it competitively and never thought any other smash game was good competitively are my evidence. Of course they'd be pissed off, and they'd probably make the stupidest complaints.

byebye

Smash Apprentice
NNID
BigByeBee
I think it is still missing the point I am trying to make. We are in the FGC. New versions of games come out every few years.

This is not like traditional sports, like football, where you played the game 15 years ago, and can still play the game now. And guess what? your kids and their kids will still play the same game.

While say PM, or SF3, or any old game, they will get old, and newer and younger players will never get exposed to them. The young ones will play SF5 growing up. Will get interest of getting good in FG once SF6 comes out. and compete when SF6 Ultra comes out. At that point, their kids will grow up playing SF7. What will happen to SF4 players at that time?

You can argue that PM is ever evolving but it will still get old. Young ones are now growing up in Smash4. It is marketed. it is in the current gen systems. it is in the toy stores. it is in the billboards. and TV ads.

sooner or later the audience of the old games will dwindle down. new players will play the new game, some old players will play the new game.

It is the environment we play in, and that's normal. Almost all competitive games are replaced by new versions of the games. Melee is one of the the exceptions, not the rule.

Last edited:

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
I'll admit, I'm not disappointed or surprised about the news. But we don't need people creating more ****ing separation. Really, hasn't your mothers ever told you to either say something nice or nothing at all?

MajinSweet

Smash Journeyman
I think it is still missing the point I am trying to make. We are in the FGC. New versions of games come out every few years.

This is not like traditional sports, like football, where you played the game 15 years ago, and can still play the game now. And guess what? your kids and their kids will still play the same game.

While say PM, or SF3, or any old game, they will get old, and newer and younger players will never get exposed to them. The young ones will play SF5 growing up. Will get interest of getting good in FG once SF6 comes out. and compete when SF6 Ultra comes out. At that point, their kids will grow up playing SF7. What will happen to SF4 players at that time?

You can argue that PM is ever evolving but it will still get old. Young ones are now growing up in Smash4. It is marketed. it is in the current gen systems. it is in the toy stores. it is in the billboards. and TV ads.

sooner or later the audience of the old games will dwindle down. new players will play the new game, some old players will play the new game.

It is the environment we play in, and that's normal. Almost all competitive games are replaced by new versions of the games. Melee one of the the exceptions, not the rule.

Really bad analogy. Football DOES change, in fact in the past couple years the game has evolved a lot on the professional level. And that's not even going into the massive amount of change the game underwent once they enforced a salary cap. I'm not just talking about the "meta" or the strength of different teams and strategies. But the game itself and its rules. Not that much different from patches in a video game.

Last edited:

Freimos

Smash Rookie
NNID
CursiveBinary
Nintendo should be trying to build our community up into one big one containing all games not break it down so only they can profit from our communities success.
This community was broken up way before any of this started, and we have nobody to blame but ourselves.

byebye

Smash Apprentice
NNID
BigByeBee
Really bad analogy. Football DOES change, in fact in the past couple years the game has evolved a lot on the professional level. And that's not even going into the massive amount of change the game underwent once they enforced a salary cap. I'm not just talking about the "meta" or the strength of different teams and strategies. But the game itself and its rules. Not that much different from patches in a video game.
yeah my bad. that was bad analogy.

all I know is that my parents played football, I played football and my kid will play football.
My parents watched football on TV, I did too, and most likely my kid will too.

My parents never played any smash games, I played 4, and my kid most likely won't be able to play smash 64 and most probably will play smash 7.
My parents never watched a smash game before. I watched PM and smash 4 tourneys being streamed, but my kid most probably won't.

Morbi

Scavenger
Smash 4 cannot help that it has the superior balance and game-design on its side. Maybe if they added some fan-fiction costumes and a float mechanic to half the cast pro players would enjoy it more?

Teran

Through Fire, Justice is Served
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
People who think PM is suddenly going to die because of this are delusional. It's a grassroots mod by fans for fans. It has a very dedicated fanbase who play it because they love it, people aren't just going to abandon it like that.

And this is coming from someone who hasn't even touched it lol.

MajinSweet

Smash Journeyman
yeah my bad. that was bad analogy.

all I know is that my parents played football, I played football and my kid will play football.
My parents watched football on TV, I did too, and most likely my kid will too.

My parents never played any smash games, I played 4, and my kid most likely won't be able to play smash 64 and most probably will play smash 7.
My parents never watched a smash game before. I watched PM and smash 4 tourneys being streamed, but my kid most probably won't.
Seems mostly irrelevant as far as the competitive scene goes. You played "football" but you didn't play in the NFL. And likewise, if the newer smash games don't appeal to actual competitors, it doesn't matter what game the majority of people are playing if they don't go to tournaments or support streams. And going even further, I'd say this is just plain wrong. For example Melee is doing great as far as a scene goes. Even when compared to newer games of the same genre. I imagine quite a few Melee players in todays era didn't grow up with the game. And that's a good thing. Something shouldn't be respected just because it's new. But because it's good.

CyberHyperPhoenix

"Download Complete."

But melee is still around so..... I dunno :p

Last edited:

EmblemCrossing

Smash Apprentice
NNID
EmblemCrossing
3DS FC
1590-4692-1363
Just a reminder, going out of your way to insult the other games that people will like, isn't going to solve anything.

Instead, I offer an alternative. Play the game you want to play, don't bash the others. Secretly you can hate them all you want, but there's really no need to have fights over a franchise that we all love, k thnx.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Trust me, the Melee elitists that think PM is a worse game if not bad game that grew up with the game with thier friends and played it competitively and never thought any other smash game was good competitively are my evidence. Of course they'd be pissed off, and they'd probably make the stupidest complaints.
So every games fanbase is generalized by the others as being a group of immature bigots in the wrong.

I guess we have the answer that maybe this decision had nothing to do with that.

Top Bottom