• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Melee Tournament @ Jimz Gamer Lounge in Port Moody BC

R

resonance

Ok so I sent a message to James Clarke the owner of Jimz Gamer lounge and here's what happened..

Eric: So I have been talking with the players here and we decided that if you could have a tournament at your lounge on August 30th (Sunday) that would be great! What do you think about that?

James: Hey Eric

The 30th might be do-able. The only problem is we are having our Guitar Hero Tournament the very next day.

If you would like to get the ball rolling on this, i would need you to get a group number so we can figure out what to do about consoles, and how long this tourney would go for.

Send me all the stuff you need, and if we can do it that day, i will host on facebook a Melee tourney thing as well!

So what I need to know is how many people (roughly) would come to this tournament?

Hey guys. Yeah basically, we are TRYING to organize a tournament @ Jimz Gamer Lounge for August 30th. We need to get an idea of who WILL show up for sure b/c it will cost $ to host the tourney. Jimz Gamer Lounge (http://www.jimzgl.com) is located @ 99 Moray Street in Port Moody. Please tell us if you are going to show up, so we can get a rough estimate of how many people there are so we can let the owners organize this properly.

Who is coming so far:
1. Blunted_Object10
2. Tahsis
3. Clouderz
4. resonance
5. Sion*
6. Broken*
7. Rustedfence*
8. Coud*
9. Patooty
10. Cowear
11. Dieslow
12. Julyzerg*
13. Liberate*
14. Supertramp
15. chocolate thunda
17. Rusty Shacklefurd
18. Byuusan*
19. resonance's friend*
20. Bwmatt
21. MarcBuckley
22. Hitsugaya*
23. xXx-NoobKing-xXx

* = maybe

Let us know!

NEW UPDATE

k so tournament at jimz gamer lounge WILL COME WITH BBQ

Date: August 30th
Time: Tournament Starts at 1pm, the venue opens at 12, registration also starts at 12. Tournament is set to end at 7pm so we gotta get this sh*t done FAST for friendlies and stuff
Door Fee: $10 per person
Singles Fee: $10 per person
Doubles Fee: $5 per person ($10perteam)

ADDRESS
99 moray street, Port Moody, BC.

Directions:
Public Transit -
1) millenium line to VCC Clarke towards LOUGHEED STATION(1 stop before production/sfu station).
2) 97 B-line to Coquitlam Station and get off at ST.Johns / Moray St(There will be a dairy queen on your right and a car dealership of sorts on your left)
3) cross the road and jimz gamer lounge will be on your left (has halo/mariokart stuffs on the front doors)
Car - GoogleMap that sh*t

RULES:

•4 stock
•2/3 sets
•3/5 Winners/Losers/Grand Finals
•8 minute time limit
•Items off
•Ties broken by lives, then %
•First stage agreed upon or random
•Dave’s Stupid Rule (DSR): No stage may be used twice in a single set if the counter-picking player has already won on that stage.
•Double Blind character pick can be called at anytime.
•Stage Knock Out: Each person may choose one stage to be disabled for the entire set, it must be chosen at the beginning of the set, after initial characters are chosen.
•Advanced Slob Picks: Loser may choose the next stage or select to go random. The winner may then change their character, followed by the loser.
•Bring your own controller
•Controller Mods, Glitches (IC Freeze Glitch, Mewtwo Soul Stunner, etc), and tactics used to stall a match (wall-bombing, rising pound), are banned.

- Singles Stages on random – Final Destination, Dream Land 64, Fountain of Dreams, Battlefield, Yoshi’s Story And Pokemon Stadium.
- Singles Counterpicks - Peach's Castle, Rainbow Cruise, Jungle Japes, Corneria, GreenGreens, Brinstar, MuteCity, PokeFloats, and Kongo Jungle.

- Doubles Stages on random - Final Destination, DreamLand 64, Battlefield, Yoshi's Story, and Pokemon Stadium.
- DOubles Counterpicks - Corneria, Brinstar, PokeFloats, Kongo Jungle, and Rainbow Cruise.

All other levels are BANNED

PLEASE BRING MELEE DISKS/MEMORY CARDS

Hopefully all will run smoothly and this could turn into a monthly thing, though we will see!

R

resonance

whats the entry fee? i'll most likely come
Not entirely sure what the fee will be as of yet, it depends how many people we get. If I were to make a ROUGH ESTIMATE, I'd say about 10-15$? I am pretty certain it will be less than 20$. But this is all just speculation.

Again, I am guessing about 10-15$. It will not be anything too too expensive. Again though, this isn't guaranteed going to happen unless we have enough people. That is why we are asking who can come.

Yakal

Torquasm-Rao
1. Blunted_Object
2. Tahsis
3. Clouderz
4. resonance
5. Sion
6. Broken
7. Rustedfence
8. Coud
9. Patooty
10. Cowear
11. Dieslow
12. Julyzerg*
13. Liberate*
14. Supertramp

* = maybe
That's the list so far, hopefully we can get above 25 people.

and having this become a tournament series would be ****

chocolate thunda

Smash Cadet
im confused as to how the pot will be split up now if you are planning to add the tourny fee with the entrance fee. usually we do 2 events. melee sinlges and melee doubles.

traditionally we do 10 dollars singles fee and a 5 dollar doubles fee.
if the tourny is at a venue, we pay our 5-10 dollar entrance fee into the venue.

im not sure if it is a good idea to combine the entrance fee with the venue fee because that means... the more people we get, the higher the price will become (unless you only take 3-5 dollars per person for the venue fee and give the rest to 2 different pots)

anyways, confirm me

chocolate thunda

Smash Cadet
EDIT to my last post cuz i forgot the main part. if the entrance fee goes higher. like say 20+ dollars. no one is coming. especially since they will know that they wont be gettin much back for winning.

the only people that would show up is the top players (about 10 of them) and maybe 2-3 noobs that dont know how to play the game.

all in all, i personally think you should rethink how you are handling this tournament if you want attendence in higher numbers

Harrisburg

Smash Journeyman
1. Blunted_Object
2. Tahsis
3. Clouderz
4. resonance
5. Sion
6. Broken
7. Rustedfence
8. Coud
9. Pootoy
10. Cowear
11. Dieslow
12. Julyzerg*
13. Liberate*
14. Supertramp
its not patooty, its pootoy. no joke.

entry should be

$10 for singles and $20 doubles? ($10 per person)

R

resonance

EDIT to my last post cuz i forgot the main part. if the entrance fee goes higher. like say 20+ dollars. no one is coming. especially since they will know that they wont be gettin much back for winning.

the only people that would show up is the top players (about 10 of them) and maybe 2-3 noobs that dont know how to play the game.

all in all, i personally think you should rethink how you are handling this tournament if you want attendence in higher numbers
Don't jump to conclusions that fast. I was just estimating, somebody asked a Q so I took a guess. I am not sure how the tournament itself will be organized in terms of buy-ins. In fact, we haven't even organized it yet, we just are getting a rough estimate of would show up. The employees of Jimz will be the ones who organize the buy-ins for us.

But yes your right, I didn't think about that.

SpaceFalcon

Smash Lord
I'm interested to check out this gamer lounge of yours :o you can put me as maybe. Do you guys have LAN PC's as well?

Yakal

Torquasm-Rao
No PC's

CONSOLE ONLY YOU DOTA***

<3

edit: ALSO FOR THOSE OF YOU WHO ARE WONDERING

There will be drinks and **** for you to buy at the venue, so gg

ALSO

IT'S AC'd GGNORE

Blunted_object10

Smash Master
Yea Roby theres computers as well! Also GUYS theres most likely gonna be a DOOR FEE and no money will be taking out of the pot!

SO can we all agree with..

$10 1v1 ?
$20 2v2 ( $10 each) ?

JulyZerg

Smash Cadet
R

resonance

It's hard not to assume.

Also the website said lightning fast internet, so thought it was a internet cafe as well.
A couple of us went there a week ago or so. Not sure if I remember seeing comps, don't think I did. Maybe there's a different section of the lounge itself. It's a very nice place though and seems very organized.

Top Bottom