• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Melee Social Thread and stuff

Xyzz

Smash Champion
Should I switch to being a Marth main?
Probably. Roy is below the point where most people set their "this character is a viable tourney threat" cutoff.
His sword is often jokingly referred to as a flyswatter or "wet noodle stick", and this isn't that far off the truth. Marth has far more devastating combos and tends to not get punished for hitting his opponent (like Roy does quite a bit of the time).

and if so, will my experience with Roy carry over to Marth? Thanks in advance.
Somewhat. They both have amazing dash dances and great grab games which lead to amazing (Marth, usually up throw for positional advantage which can lead to his combo starters like utilt / uair) / decent (Roy, towards the ledge for more grabs ;) ) throw things.
Roy falls a lot faster than Marth does though, and you want to use different parts of your sword. So there definitely is some big differences, which will make you need to learn a lot about Marth before becoming good with him. It's worth it though (:

Miketastic5

Smash Cadet
NNID
Miketastic5
Probably. Roy is below the point where most people set their "this character is a viable tourney threat" cutoff.
His sword is often jokingly referred to as a flyswatter or "wet noodle stick", and this isn't that far off the truth. Marth has far more devastating combos and tends to not get punished for hitting his opponent (like Roy does quite a bit of the time).

Somewhat. They both have amazing dash dances and great grab games which lead to amazing (Marth, usually up throw for positional advantage which can lead to his combo starters like utilt / uair) / decent (Roy, towards the ledge for more grabs ;) ) throw things.
Roy falls a lot faster than Marth does though, and you want to use different parts of your sword. So there definitely is some big differences, which will make you need to learn a lot about Marth before becoming good with him. It's worth it though (:

Thanks, I realize Marth falls slower, so that would probably help with recovering, and using the tip instead of the middle will take gettig used to, but I know Marth is overal better, especially with aerials and throw damage, so I'll see if it's an easy transition.

Miketastic5

Smash Cadet
NNID
Miketastic5

Man, that last sentence I see is so true. One of my combos that I do often with Roy (involving his Dash A move) cannot be done with Marth. This is troublesome. He also just feels...different. Guess I'll be sticking with Roy for a while.

Xyzz

Smash Champion
Well, different falling speeds and move sets naturally disable or allow different combos ;)
The non-tipped version of Marth's dash attack is fairly worthless, but the tipped version usually sets up nice things (fair/uair/utilt/tipped fsmash come to mind).

Miketastic5

Smash Cadet
NNID
Miketastic5
Well, different falling speeds and move sets naturally disable or allow different combos ;)
The non-tipped version of Marth's dash attack is fairly worthless, but the tipped version usually sets up nice things (fair/uair/utilt/tipped fsmash come to mind).

Yeah, I was just playing as Marth a lot to get used to him, and I think I'm geting the hang of it. I still think Roy is better for me at the moment, but I'll keep playing with both to see which one I'll use.

Kempatsu

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Kempatsu
3DS FC
2251-4505-3091
Yeah, I was just playing as Marth a lot to get used to him, and I think I'm geting the hang of it. I still think Roy is better for me at the moment, but I'll keep playing with both to see which one I'll use.

Marth, by level design alone, does more damage then Roy.
Sword techniques and such are pretty simple to learn. There is a wide space to work with and not really of much importance.

It would be in your best interest to master his standing-grab animation. you can perform this right out of a dash (since his standing grab has more range than the dash throw). While dashing, simply press Up+Z.

Miketastic5

Smash Cadet
NNID
Miketastic5
Marth, by level design alone, does more damage then Roy.
Sword techniques and such are pretty simple to learn. There is a wide space to work with and not really of much importance.

It would be in your best interest to master his standing-grab animation. you can perform this right out of a dash (since his standing grab has more range than the dash throw). While dashing, simply press Up+Z.

OK, I've been dash throwing too much, as I always dash towards my opponent, about half of the time jump at them, so thanks for the advice!

Kempatsu

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Kempatsu
3DS FC
2251-4505-3091
Any other advice would be appreciated!
Really for Marth, that is about it. His Up+Z grab is huge. He has the largest range in the game (well, Obviously Link and Samus are much longer but cannot be thrown out as fast and consecutively).

Really, that's about it. Marth is not a difficult character to pick up. Learning his Up+Z is major and also his spacing for ledge guarding (mastering Down+A and learning the absolute distance limitations when using it). Those are the top 2 things all Marth's should have mastered.

After that, it is all refinement; his moves and tilts are all easy to perform, by that point, you are mastering L-Canceling.

ABOVE ALL ELSE - PLAY GOOD PLAYERS. Iron sharpening iron.

Miketastic5

Smash Cadet
NNID
Miketastic5
Really for Marth, that is about it. His Up+Z grab is huge. He has the largest range in the game (well, Obviously Link and Samus are much longer but cannot be thrown out as fast and consecutively).

Really, that's about it. Marth is not a difficult character to pick up. Learning his Up+Z is major and also his spacing for ledge guarding (mastering Down+A and learning the absolute distance limitations when using it). Those are the top 2 things all Marth's should have mastered.

After that, it is all refinement; his moves and tilts are all easy to perform, by that point, you are mastering L-Canceling.

ABOVE ALL ELSE - PLAY GOOD PLAYERS. Iron sharpening iron.

I know I gotta play good players, but since I'm not old enough to drive yet, I always have to force my mom to take me, so that sucks. I'm still trying to consistently do L-Cancelling and SHFFLing, but otherwise I guess I just need to refine and master. Thanks for the advice, I will take it to heart!

Bones0

Smash Legend
Where can I find some local smashers? It's been damn near 5 years since I last played. I had a strong Link and even played with M2k a few times. I got some free time and wouldn't mind getting my butt whooped. Anyone live in or around Bucks County?
Head to the regional boards (Atlantic North to be specific). You're pretty close to Philly so there's bound to be a couple smashers nearby.

Cowsaymeow

Smash Cadet
Hey guys, lost my account and haven't really played in a long time. Dat doc tho is bringing me back to Melee!

So I've literally lost all my tech skill I used to know so I'm back to square one for now :(

Also, I've been using Marth for the longest time but since I'm going back to square one I might switch other characters. Might switch to Cap Falcon for the first time

Oh and does playing Wii cause any frame rate issues where I wouldnt be as good as playing on a GC?

Kempatsu

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Kempatsu
3DS FC
2251-4505-3091

Head to the regional boards (Atlantic North to be specific). You're pretty close to Philly so there's bound to be a couple smashers nearby.
Hey Bones0, thanks a whole bunch! Can I ask one more question....is there anyway to change my account name? Manturnae is a name I'd like to shed. Thank you :)

hazmanaz

Smash Cadet
hi, i don't know if this is the right place to ask(new to this whole forum thing) but how do i go about recording melee, not just using a video camera and pointing it at the screen

Bones0

Smash Legend
hi, i don't know if this is the right place to ask(new to this whole forum thing) but how do i go about recording melee, not just using a video camera and pointing it at the screen
You will need to get a capture card. It's basically a device that converts your TV's signals to USB so you can record and save the video on your computer. There is a thread dedicated to it in Melee Discussion. Just look through the list of threads and you should see something like "Beginner's Guide to Recording".

SpiderMad

Smash Master
Where's that video of the guy playing White Marth and saying funny swears as he throws his controller and stuff?

BlindSpot

Smash Apprentice
Hi! I've been into melee for awhile, but have never been able to commit to 1 character. I can play most all characters at a competitive level, but it's difficult for me to choose which to main. Can someone give me advice as to how to go about choosing?

Bones0

Smash Legend
Hey guys, one of my favorite artists of all time is a young guy who is super underground. He entered a remix contest and as far as I'm concerned, he's way better than all of the current entrants ahead of him. Unfortunately, it's one of those silly popularity contest sort of competitions, so if everyone could support me by supporting him, I would appreciate it. All the info is in the description, and I recommend you check out his other music as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lIQf1Qqx-DE

Varist

Smash Lord
I finally figured out how to become great at Melee.

I've improved more in the last week than in the 2 years prior to it. Thank you based Mango for revealing everything to the next generation.

Top Bottom