• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Melee: Project Fight Stick

Mr.Jackpot

Smash Lord
I've tried Project M with my TvC stick before and I think this a pretty good idea but the joystick makes tilts harder than they should be.

Acryte

Smash Ace
Neko you speak the truth I don't know what I was thinking. The bat is goin bye bye. I had it at first cuz I wanted the EX button to be on top of the joystick, and then I realized that would be a hell of a mod and that I could tuck it over by B and A and it would be just as effective so no need to have the bat.

Undergoin some changes heh.

Massive

Smash Champion
I've tried Project M with my TvC stick before and I think this a pretty good idea but the joystick makes tilts harder than they should be.
That's because this stick isn't analog, you can only do tilts that way if you hold them long enough to prevent a smash.

kevo

Smash Journeyman
I think if pads start getting prevalent, TO's will start relenting on the "no macros/turbo buttons" dogma. If you think about it, the c-stick itself if a "turbo button". The only difference is that it's built into the GC controller. Other fighting games allow macroing, any there's plenty of technical to go around in Melee. It would be neat to how the metagame would change with pads.

Acryte

Smash Ace
FIXED:

So right now my biggest question is how I should go about starting this whole thing. Whether I should pay someone to make it, whether I'll be able to find anyone knowledgeable enough who would be willing, or whether I have to go about this myself. If its the last one aka just me, then I'm thinking I'd have to start ordering specific parts, and then use multimeters and Oscilloscopes etc to take measurements of the signals used in the controller by the analog joysticks as well as the L and R buttons. Then probably tear apart a controller, replace the joystick, and figure out how to port it over while adding a few things to the circuit.

Like I said, I have no experience with hardware modding projects. I just know how to do electronic troubleshooting and soldering.

Wave-Guiding Hero

Smash Apprentice
FIXED:

So right now my biggest question is how I should go about starting this whole thing. Whether I should pay someone to make it, whether I'll be able to find anyone knowledgeable enough who would be willing, or whether I have to go about this myself. If its the last one aka just me, then I'm thinking I'd have to start ordering specific parts, and then use multimeters and Oscilloscopes etc to take measurements of the signals used in the controller by the analog joysticks as well as the L and R buttons. Then probably tear apart a controller, replace the joystick, and figure out how to port it over while adding a few things to the circuit.

Like I said, I have no experience with hardware modding projects. I just know how to do electronic troubleshooting and soldering.
Dude, if you ended up making these I would so totally buy one.

Here's some useful links for parts and how-to's if you need them.

:phone:

Fizzi

Smash Ace
Slippi.gg
FIZZI#36
Yo. This seems pretty cool. I don't think I'd use one personally but last summer I made a GC to USB 4 port converter from scratch so I have a good idea about the GC controller communication if you want some help with that. Here's a picture:

The rest of the album (the making of it) can be found here for those curious:
http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10150202447076304.310536.688776303&type=1&l=df53851c50

There's also some useful links in the album description.

EDIT: You'll most likely be interested in this: http://www.int03.co.uk/crema/hardware/gamecube/gc-control.htm

Massive

Smash Champion
Yo. This seems pretty cool. I don't think I'd use one personally but last summer I made a GC to USB 4 port converter from scratch so I have a good idea about the GC controller communication if you want some help with that. Here's a picture:

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10150202447076304.310536.688776303&type=1&l=df53851c50

EDIT: You'll most likely be interested in this: http://www.int03.co.uk/crema/hardware/gamecube/gc-control.htm
Man, PCB manufacturing has really dropped in price since I did it in the late 90s. Back then it was cheaper to etch your own with radio shack parts than send away for a build.

That's a pretty impressive build dude. Mad props.

Acryte

Smash Ace
Yo fizzi that would be a tremendous help, ill take a look at this when I get home.

:phone:

EDIT: Back home. Hey that link at the bottom is great! Lots of important information. I think I might buy myself my own O-scope and Multimeter instead of using the ones at work so that's a priority purchase I think but something inevitable for a technician anyways so no biggie. What I have no experience in is creating circuits at all. I've only done troubleshooting stuff but I've never dabbled in making modifications to hardware so its really helpful to know there are people around who have knowledge of these things.

@clubber - that config isn't bad. Don't like how you have to reach for C-Down after jump though makes it kinda awkward (one finger behind the other), and I think 2 shielding buttons is a must. It's not bad though.

Looking at a parts list so far I should plan on:
$59 Ultimarc 360 Analog Joystick - http://www.ultimarc.com/ultrastik_info.html
$75 15 Sanwa pushbuttons. If obtained at 2.75 instead of 5.00 then about half that.
$?? L/R Analog pushbuttons - will probably have to figure out a way to do this using the parts of the GCN controller inside a new button or something @_@. If so, $24 or less.
$150 Out of the air estimate for case and graphics, possibly cheaper I have no clue.
$400 O-Scope
$100 Multimeter
$?? PCB construction/modification and additional components necessary. Much of the PCB can be used from the GCN controller itself I'm sure. But alterations will need to be made for C-buttons and for EX button.

Realized today that the EX button has a 4th function that is an extension of the 3rd one:
If L/R/B is not being pressed and EX BUTTON is pressed it caps tilt sensitivity at a low enough value to ensure Control stick Down will not initiate fast-fall.

Massive

Smash Champion
You don't really need an oscilloscope, they're nice but unnecessary.
You might want to look into an arduino board if you want to write those EX macros more easily (you can program your own interface for it using the existing output).

You may not necessarily need analog buttons for L/R, you could have a separate light shield button if you needed the functionality, it would be another button though, lol.

Without the 'Ex' button this would not be that difficult of a build, you'd just need some resistors to simulate the stick locations for the C-buttons.

Jonas

Smash Champion
I doesn't make sense that he wouldn't recognize it from Melee or 64 though, especially if he thinks Brawl stuff is "disgusting" (indicating that he plays Melee or 64). I think he was just being a troll.

Btw it's cool that someone makes analogue arcadesticks. Didn't know that.

Jonas

Smash Champion
I imagine a button layout like this:

1 2 3
4 5 6

1: Attack
2: Special
3: Shield
4: Jump
5: Grab
6: Smash (in a new version of Melee that accounted for lack of analog control, since arcadesticks are usually digital. In this case, 5 and 6 should probably be reversed. Otherwise it could just be the taunt button).

I believe it would be pretty easy to do standard techniques like wavedashing, L-canceling, jc grabbing, usmashing/up B oos) etc. with this layout.

It doesn't have C buttons but tough cookie. I don't want that many buttons on my arcadestick lol and using my three middle finger for six buttons (and my thumb for one of the lower buttons in some cases) feels pretty natural and easy.

Pachinkosam

I have no friends, Im dead inside

nice pic
looks like a dreamcast

Acryte

Smash Ace
Oscope ordered, and the probably gonna pick up a fluke multimeter here in a couple days. Then I'll pick up an arduino board and start figuring this stuff out.

Acryte

Smash Ace
yo an arduino is a little costly, I think I should look to try to make it without and if It turns out I'll need one then I'll make it happen. I'd like to do without if possible, the arduino uno is like $200 while the mega is $630. IDK if there are cheaper ones that will work just as good for such a small project.

I plan on cannibalizing a GCN controller.

Acryte

Smash Ace
just ordered it thanks massive :)

also @ everyone: most fight sticks let people customize where and how they want their buttons configured on an individual basis so if you wanted a different layout, that's not really a problem. Though if you think it would work better for ME than my current one, and accomplishes everything it needs to comfortably, then by all means hook me up with your layout ideas :)

Also, I haven't done **** in woodwork, PCB, etc. So ideas about building the case from scratch or getting parts to assemble cheaper would be nice. Then the only price incurred would be the painting/decals. Either that or if someone here is skilled at these things I'd be willing to pay them to create it to my specifications. I know slag-coin has a some examples of it here
http://www.slagcoin.com/joystick/box.html

Massive

Smash Champion
Also, I haven't done **** in woodwork, PCB, etc. So ideas about building the case from scratch or getting parts to assemble cheaper would be nice. Then the only price incurred would be the painting/decals. Either that or if someone here is skilled at these things I'd be willing to pay them to create it to my specifications. I know slag-coin has a some examples of it here
http://www.slagcoin.com/joystick/box.html
If you already have some tools (power drill, bits, screwdriver, etc) you can buy some acrylic panes from Hobby Lobby/Walmart/Michael's for pretty cheap (1 or 2 bucks a pane around here).
That is the medium people usually use to build stick plates, especially prototypes. I recommend waiting until some buttons you've ordered arrived to drill any holes so you match the fit correctly. An easy way to decal the button plate or mark the button holes is to draw up a diagram of the button location/layout in a drafting app and print it out on one of those sticky label sheets and stick it to the acrylic. That way you'll also have a decent punch guide for your holes.

Don't worry about building the full box until you've got the innards working correctly. Worst case scenario you can just purchase an existing joystick case made from injection molded plastic and use that.

All I can think of is how hellish it would be to walk, or do tilt attacks :o
He's planning on using an analog joystick, not a digital one. Range of movement, walk/tilts will be unimpeded, possibly even improved by use of a 4/8 angle box.

Mono.

Stopmotion Love.
All I can think of is how hellish it would be to walk, or do tilt attacks :o
I can only imagine it being alot easier. I feel way more in control of my character with a roundtop stick by the pinky grip more so than any other controller out there. This seriously applies to any game because sometimes I play other games with my Hori as well.

Acryte

Smash Ace
He's planning on using an analog joystick, not a digital one. Range of movement, walk/tilts will be unimpeded, possibly even improved by use of a 4/8 angle box.
yup, plus the EX-button will guarantee a tilt when using A.

Spyro

Smash Ace
This would be so awesome to have; you could use L or R to light shield and the other for a normal shield and X or Y for one to short hop and the other to full hop.

Acryte

Smash Ace
Arduino came in the mail today :) waitin on the O-scope to come now. Probably gonna buy a Fluke 115 soon.

VietGeek

Smash Hero
The Gamecube controller shell surrounding the analog sticks are already octagonal in shape too.

Varist

Smash Lord
Yeah everyone knows hangrybax. You just curl your fingers around y and z and spam your ****. Your c-stick is probably the cleanest yellow i ever saw

LLDL

Smash Hero

GHNeko

Sega Stockholm Syndrome.
NNID
GHNeko
Acryte is in the navy, as am I, and is also on a ship, so the guy rarely has time to post on SWF let alone talk to a n***a like me.

Top Bottom