• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Melee/PM: GameClucks (Washington): August 3rd!

Juce

Smash Ace
I heard that Tori, Bladewise, and Ka-Master were planning on coming to the next TANG. Were these the only people planning on coming? There are going to be quite a feqw people to this one (15ish from the portland area), so if you guys think you can win, there's definitely an incentive to come. Food will be provided as well.

Bring Blair!

Tori (THE ride) has to work Friday and Saturday.
Eggz cannot go due to school being school.
Blair probably won't go because other Washington people won't be there to sweeten the pot and after gas and all that it most likely wouldn't be worth it.
Ka-Master wouldn't have gone due to other issues like church, I don't know what made people think he was going.
I can't go because I have no ride and don't really want to go after that Canada tourney and that amazing GameClucks tourney. =P
I don't think Washington's going.
Come to GameClucks though? It should be worth it. Bring that guy I've never heard of that won that SF: E tourney, I'd like an MM. If he play Fox, I'll use Sheik/Falco/Fox, anyone else, I'll go Fox. Eh, eh?

ATTENTION GAMECLUCKS!
I think if you're planning on having a larger scale tourney here in WA, then there'd be no better time than in summer. Preferably in July. Smoe of the Southern California smashers are visiting during that time period, and Alaska said they'd like to xcome down sometime for a larger scale tourney so it'd be worth it. Of course we'd still have the regular 25-30 WA smashers, and support from OR and B.C. smashers as usual. they wouldnt want to miss out.
If we had all these ppl coming, we could most likely attract other regions like norcal or possibly AZ. July then? discuss at GC on the 10th with me so we can try and make this happen.

Eggz

Smash Hero
Gameclucks change your name!

GameClucks guy, so far, Alaska, BC, OR, and SoCal have expressed interest in a large gameclucks tournament.
With all of that, Arizona and NorCal may come as well. With such a huge turnout, I think we should make it a little different.

We would hold said gigantic tournament in July, during summer, that way we can pick a date more freely.

First, we will need an alternative venue, obviously. 8 TVs and the small space of gameclucks won't cut it. I don't know what everyone else thinks, but maybe taking a slightly larger cut from the pot to pay for that would be acceptable? Also various people would need to be able to house. We would run 1v1s, 2v2s, and a crew tournament.

Ideas, disagreements, or opinions?

I don't think alaska is confirmed, theyd be interested in a large WA tourney. as for BC and OR, why wouldnt they come...?
i think it should be in july when i dont have school and we can house more ppl. :) eh eh?

VarietyBarrage

Smash Journeyman
GameClucks guy, so far, Alaska, BC, OR, and SoCal have expressed interest in a large gameclucks tournament.
With all of that, Arizona and NorCal may come as well. With such a huge turnout, I think we should make it a little different.

We would hold said gigantic tournament in July, during summer, that way we can pick a date more freely.

First, we will need an alternative venue, obviously. 8 TVs and the small space of gameclucks won't cut it. I don't know what everyone else thinks, but maybe taking a slightly larger cut from the pot to pay for that would be acceptable? Also various people would need to be able to house. We would run 1v1s, 2v2s, and a crew tournament.

Ideas, disagreements, or opinions?
thats not the only issue for having large scale tounrys. Skypal has been thinking of doing one every summer for the last few years, but there is always so much hassle involved its almost not worth it. Venue is just the start of a tourny, people need places to sleep and rides to and from the airport. only some of the current smashers would be able to do so, but then the question of who has the time to drive everyone for about a week through a week and a half (because all smashers like to hang out before and after a tourny) and what kind of vehicle would the smashers be transported in. my civic can hold 4. Then we need to consider schedual for the tourny so what time we need to wake up to get to wherever this place is, how long we can stay there if we are renting a place, and how far away from housing this place is. The amount of money we need to spend on the venue, because they will want money up front not after we take whatever cut from the pool. I think the location should be in the city of seattle not one of the smaller towns in washington because if people fly out here from the eastcoast who have never been this far west they will want to atleast get to walk seattle a little during the trip.

if you guys are motivated enough to do these things then more power to you. Chris/henry/me might help drive people around and house a few, but I dont think we will want be motivated enough to help run the tourny. Just a few thoughts

Gimpyfish62

Banned (62 points)
BRoomer
if we had a big one i'd be able to house people for a while i'm sure, i'd have to arange it with my parents of course, but given enough time i'm sure i'd be able to house some people by the summer, as well as give rides. i'd have WAY more time in the summer to do these things anyways eh?

GameClucks

Smash Journeyman
So here is the "Big Tournament" thing on the high level view...

It would be combo'ed with a Halo2 4v4 Objective/TS tournament.

Basically, I would be looking to run an MLG like tournament.

The issues with this are:
1 - Money - I need sponsors to pay for a lrage chunk of this as I can not count on 50 Halo teams and 60+ Smashers to cover the costs and still give prizes.

2 - Venue - See #1 above. In addition, I would look for a large, cheaper place. Like maybe try and get Alderwood Mall or Northgate or something to let me use a large chunk of the mall for this, at some cost of course, but prob less then renting a ball room at a hotel.

3 - Transportation - Everyone would need ot be responsible for their own.

4 - Blair is right in that, with Airport travel and such, I would prob have to look at Northgate and South...maybe South Center Mall?

Not to make this overly complex and be a downer on this, but realistically, here is some idea of the cost of this event:
Rent - $3000
Payroll - $4500 (that is for 15ppl @ 25hrs (2 1/2 days) @ 12$/hr
TVs, XBox, Cubes (16 TVs, Xboxs and Cubes w/games)- $8000 - $10000
Drinks, Candy, Etc - $2500

Now to offset that, we would need the following:
380 people @ $50/person

That is just to break even and not give anything away... (or make anything as the event organizer)
So this is why Sponsors are SO important.
The 8 - 10k for TVs and such would need to be provided by someone like a Video Only or a rental place.
Also if we could get like Red Bull to throw like 2k at the deal for sponsorship, then thats 2k less to come out of entry fee's...

This is a HUGE project.

Now if we broke this down to Smash only, we could use GC to do it, but we would need Sat and Sun to run it. And there would/could be NO friendlies until the tournament was over, or until designated times at the end of each tournament day. We would need maximum efficiency to run this.

My first goal is to find a Venue and Cost.
Then I need sponsors for the TVs and just plain $$

The payout would be at lower %ages then what I pay out now, and by a LOT, but the dollars in general would be much bigger, so it would offset it.

Its something I want to do. I want to start a new Gaming League for the PNW, since we are mostly ignored by EGL and MLG and such... But it will take time and a lot of planning and a lot of lost $$ on my part as I prob wont make a dime the first 2 or 3 times I do this...so I have to decide how much money I can lose and be Ok with.

Some thoughts... do not want to bring any spirits down, but thought I should explain the big challenge to this...

Eggz

Smash Hero
So on the housing part, people with largeish vehicles who can house = Blair/Henry/Chris, Nate, and Gimpy. Any others?

As for venue, Blair is right that it should be in seattle or something.

And about your estimate on cost:

Could you help us get this stuff together Blair? Your knowledge and experience would be way too useful. *E-sucks **** *

Gameclucks guy said:
Payroll - $4500 (that is for 15ppl @ 25hrs (2 1/2 days) @ 12$/hr
I'm sure you could get a portion of the staff to be volunteer. I'm not sure completely, but I'm pretty sure most of the OC2 staff wasn't on a payroll. Just give WA folk free drinks or something and you have yourself a staff.
GameClucks guy said:
TVs, XBox, Cubes (16 TVs, Xboxs and Cubes w/games)- $8000 - $10000
People could bring their own TVs and consoles. If each Xbox and SSBM player brought their own TV, cube, and xbox, we would have more than enough to run smoothly. Those ontop of the ones you could provide just from your store or something would be good.

It was near my bed.
Gamelucks! we would NOT be able to use GC, that place is tiny, major smash tourneys happen in big rooms. 60 ppl isnt major, i was thinking like 90. 8 tvs<16 tvs.
free staff fo sho.
i would recommend once we get it all figured out, we advertise on the top of every smashboards page its like 11$ a week, plus me and eggz would get other regions to try and come. i dont know if it would all work out too good though. =P
we'll wait and see. i guess

DJ Combo

Smash Lord
Ya GC is too small for a big tourney, also I think we should do halo and smash different days if doing both, because halo going on at the same time would be a turn off for people to travel, smashers that is.

If GC can get sposors and stuff to make this affordable, I'll help anyway I can, housing, transportation, donation, and I'll be a staff member for free as well.

I can house maybe one or two people, I'll staff it up for free.
I can get the word out really good too.
Different days plz. Than Halo.
I can also try and get pinkgodzilla to sponsor us I guess.

Gimpyfish62

Banned (62 points)
BRoomer
eggz0r face said:
I'm sure you could get a portion of the staff to be volunteer. I'm not sure completely, but I'm pretty sure most of the OC2 staff wasn't on a payroll. Just give WA folk free drinks or something and you have yourself a staff.
free access to coke for gimpyfish for an entire 3 days... $500.

yeayuhhzzzz

i'm in for staff volunteer, i'm sure pretty much all of us are

Eggz

Smash Hero
Yeah I'll volenteer for staff even if I have to live in the venue. I can't house or donate since I'll probably be staying with Otto for the duration of the tournament antics. I really hope this is only on the weekend like friday-sunday.

Eggz

Smash Hero
Double post but its semi-important.

I say we go to TANG 23 on the 24th of February?

Otto, Teddy, Nate, Mike, Gimpy...? Are you down, in town, without a frown? I like to clown. Bobowm!

I have 25$ of mms with Jesse alone, so I'd like to go LOL

5$ Marth vs Falcon
5$ Mario vs Falcon
5$ Fox ditto
5$ Ganon vs Falcon
5$ Ganon ditto

VarietyBarrage

Smash Journeyman
Gameclucks guy is alot closer to understanding what needs to be done here. We need rides and housing, but the amount we have we would be driving all morning, or making smashers get hotel rooms and rental cars. We could probley manage a tourny of 50-60 people, but thats small scale to what you guys seem to want.
I cant guarentee that I will have the time to be able look into it for another month-month and a half. school and work got me on lockdown. that leaves whoever is motivated enough to get this done quickly. If we are to do a big tourny we need to give people atleast 4 months warning ahead of time for a decient turnout.

VarietyBarrage

Smash Journeyman
You would have to ask the other members of the household. friday for the next month will be bad for me. I have school on saturday now from 9-5

DJ Combo

Smash Lord
I was thinking 50-60 people as well, including WA, but I have no idea how many out of state people will wanna come, so guaranteeing enough rides and housing is hard right now seeing as we dont know who is coming and how many.

Jumpfreak

Smash Lord
hopefully the combined forces of Gameclucks, Skypal, Sssp!, and Dan can manage. haha.

*goes back to watching OC2 DVD*
How is it?

Worth every penny?

I might not be able to make next gameclucks....unless Jeff drives us down. (just me and him, no other crewmates this time.)

GameClucks

Smash Journeyman
While I agree GC is small, for 50 people, it can be done.
When i first bought the place, my Halo2 3v3's were 15-18 teams... Thats 45 - 55 people.. It was tight, but it can happen.
We can run more Smash games then we could Halo2 games at a time.

You break past 60 people and something else has to be done.

As for bringing TV s and such... My only issue with the bringing of TVs is that if you are going to have a big tournament, the standardization of TVs is important.
Prob not as important for Smash as for like Halo2, since you would have TV vs TV and quality being equal on all the TVs matters then, where with Smash a bad TV is bad for everyone at the same time, in the same way, since all players int he game are on it at the same time.

Staff - So my issue with volunteer is that if you are working the tournament, you should not be able to play in it...because of the precieved ability to modify/alter rules in your favour or a friends favour.
So if we did Halo and SSBM in one tournament, but different shifts, it could work as Halo people could staff SSBM and SSBM people could staff Halo.
However, this also gets to me from a fairness standpoint.
In a tournament of this size, the person putting it together (in this case GamersHaven LLC, the owner of GameClucks (me)) should make a significant amount of money. That is the business driver/goal of something like this.
While from a pure profit standpoint, volunteer staff means I make more money... but to me that is not completely fair.
So I would prefer to pay, that way no one gets ripped off, or feels they got ripped off.

I have not done enough research on these things to know any of the $$'s I posted as being even realistic, but I have organized large events in the past and just using what I know of business and costs for rent and such, I am prob not very far off on my numbers, +- $1500 maybe...

MY PLEDGE:
I will make significant calls this coming week to establish some idea on venues.
I have some connections with a hotel chain so I will call them as well as a Mall.

If anyone has family or friends that work for some sort of retail electronics company, let me know. Give me a name and number, or just a number, but a contatc name would be good also.
I can use all the connections I can get for this...
I have tried Video Only already (since I have bought 8 TVs from them in the last 10 months), and they did not get back to me on this...

I think I'd rather have smash players host the smash tourney than halo players. Or smash players over anyone. If we got Neal to come, he would prolly help out like he did at NCT2, but im sure hes tired of helping and not competing at major tourneys like OC and NCT. =P
Count me out for being staff if it involves not playing though.
as for rides....nate has a van and..............teddy has a nice car. they both happen to live next to the airport, but i dont see them wanting to drive everyone to ppls houses or the venue.
GC - Tvs are NOT a problem at all. you have 8, and me and teddy could bring one each. thats 10. then nate can bring thomas' tv. so thats 11. then whoever went to FD ONRY and brought those bring some i guess.
we should try and get that game place in federal way to help. the one that Dan beat me at. D=<

Eggz

Smash Hero
The one Dan beat you at? OOOOOOOH BURN.

I'm sure volenteering would still work. None of professional WA is gay enough to **** with rules, and we are all capable of multitasking...I think.

Top Bottom