• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Melee Obsession

Blistering Speed

Smash Champion
Link to original post: [drupal=860]Melee Obsession[/drupal]

Each are as bad as each other. Melee had a better community then Brawl, but after Brawl came out, the Melee community has become elitist and cynical.

I prefer Melee to Brawl and likely always will do, generally because it's a better game, but I enjoy playing Brawl. If you want to stay with Melee that's fine, but don't throw up everytime you hear someone mention the word Brawl and proceed to yell at the offending person about hitstun.

That's the size of it, I could go into much more detail but you get the gist.

M-WUZ-H3R3

Smash Lord
I love melee, but I stopped playing it like I did after brawl. I still play melee every now and again, but brawl consumes most of my play time. I prefer melee, but brawl has a more open community and it's still fun. The lack of hitstun is my main problem with brawl. If there was melee hitstun, jiggs would be mid tier again.
Melee has combos
Brawl has chains
Chains aere considered "brawl combos" so thats about what some one means when they "combo" you.

Patinator

Smash Champion
I hate to jump into this.

I mean, I REALLY, REALLY DO.

But oh, well.

I completely, wholly agree, Blistering Speed.

While I prefer Brawl in almost all aspects to Melee, I do glance at the Melee boards every once in a while. It's prractically the forum equivalent of a garbage dump. In multiple places, and not just the Melee boards, I see people complaining about how they hate Brawl. Now, I'm not one to hate someone just because of their likes/dislikes. But if you hate Brawl and love Melee so much, why not play it instead of just adding to a big pile of threads that don't serve much a purpose?

Melee's fanboys, not fans but fanBOYS (Or girls, I suppose), insult this site's moderators- more specifically, Mic_128- in numerous ways with shouts of "He hates Melee!" or "He sucked at Melee, so he hates us cuz we're better!". I point to a certain "Teh Real Reason Mic_*** Hates Melee" thread, along with numerous other posts about poor Mic. :/

Melee's fanboys almost immediately assume any Brawl player is bad. It's... Kinda sad. If I wanted to return to Melee, for whatever reason... I'd be downright ashamed.

I'm expecting plenty of flames. All will go ignored. I don't plan on responding to this thread much anyway.

The Fail Tracer

The Universal Cosmic Tracer
3DS FC
2337-5641-4371
I agree 100%.

I love Melee. I play Brawl, too, just not as much as Melee. **** all the Melee fanboys. All they do is bash people who also like Brawl and contribute more and more to the ***gotry that is the Melee vs Brawl debate. I think the post above me summed up prety much what I want to say, so I'll just leave it at this.

Doggalina

Smash Lord
Chicagoland (NW Indiana)/Purdue West Lafayette
I love melee, but I stopped playing it like I did after brawl. I still play melee every now and again, but brawl consumes most of my play time. I prefer melee, but brawl has a more open community and it's still fun.
Jesus, you live in New Jersey. Community johns for not playing Melee are not acceptable.

EDIT: Most of the Melee community is NOT elitist. There is a vocal elitist minority, however. Also, saying that Melee is a better game (I personally find Brawl boring. I have more fun losing in Melee) is NOT elitist.

Oracle

Smash Master
The melee community used to be all elitist back about 3 months ago. Back then, Mic closed basically every thread that had to do anything with barwl. Now, basically the community isn't elitist. We just hate people who are all like "lol u play teh oldz game lololol"

Bowser King

Have It Your Way
^^agreed.

I see that so many times in the melee boards. The people aren't really elitists any more. That stopped happening 3 months ago.

-:bowser:Bowser King

M-WUZ-H3R3

Smash Lord
Jesus, you live in New Jersey. Community johns for not playing Melee are not acceptable.

EDIT: Most of the Melee community is NOT elitist. There is a vocal elitist minority, however. Also, saying that Melee is a better game (I personally find Brawl boring. I have more fun losing in Melee) is NOT elitist.
o_O .........
ok then.....

I still play melee btw, I just play brawl more xD

I think brawl can be fast paced if there are good players, but otherwise, melee is faster either way. i like melee more, I play brawl more. its a little complicated, but brawl still takes some skill. Of couse, no were near the skill as melee did, but I hate when people complain that brawl is bad. Its a great game. its an Amazing game. Just in comparison to melee, its a peice of crap.

Firus

You know what? I am good.
BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
I do glance at the Melee boards every once in a while. It's prractically the forum equivalent of a garbage dump.
Checked out the GBD recently?

Look, Melee players have definitely become more elitist and cynical since Brawl came out. With reason. The community has seriously been hurt by Brawl, because most people are moving over to it. Lots of the people who came to the forum in '08 were/are Brawl noobs who thought/think wavedashing was/is a glitch, playing without items made/makes you a tourney***, and that anyone who went back to Melee was/is a moron. I know this because I myself was like this myself. And Brawl is a wholly inferior game, competitively, making it even worse. It's easy for some people to say that Melee players are elitsts, and that they should just shut up and play. First of all, this is a forum. It is for expressing opinions. This is a Smash Bros forum. Thus, the topic of Melee vs. Brawl comes up. There are some who cannot handle the topic maturely. There are some who will start up those debates unnecessarily. But more often that not, it's not some Melee elitist coming in and attacking some poor, defenseless Brawler.

Melee players? Yeah, we play Melee. We don't complain about Brawl because we can't play Melee, it's because we dislike Brawl and are given multiple reasons to complain. And like how much I hated Halo for so long, when you're already not a fan of something and then you're constantly reminded of how overhyped, overrated something is, it just makes you hate it more.

Mith_

Smash Champion
lol.
i guess i can agree with blistering, but only because i dont really go to the melee boards because i dont play it like that. most "melee only" players I see are here in the brawl forums bashing brawl.

Patinator

Smash Champion
Checked out the GBD recently?

Look, Melee players have definitely become more elitist and cynical since Brawl came out. With reason. The community has seriously been hurt by Brawl, because most people are moving over to it. Lots of the people who came to the forum in '08 were/are Brawl noobs who thought/think wavedashing was/is a glitch, playing without items made/makes you a tourney***, and that anyone who went back to Melee was/is a moron. I know this because I myself was like this myself. And Brawl is a wholly inferior game, competitively, making it even worse. It's easy for some people to say that Melee players are elitsts, and that they should just shut up and play. First of all, this is a forum. It is for expressing opinions. This is a Smash Bros forum. Thus, the topic of Melee vs. Brawl comes up. There are some who cannot handle the topic maturely. There are some who will start up those debates unnecessarily. But more often that not, it's not some Melee elitist coming in and attacking some poor, defenseless Brawler.

Melee players? Yeah, we play Melee. We don't complain about Brawl because we can't play Melee, it's because we dislike Brawl and are given multiple reasons to complain. And like how much I hated Halo for so long, when you're already not a fan of something and then you're constantly reminded of how overhyped, overrated something is, it just makes you hate it more.
Oh, fantastic, I'm up against Firus. >_> Bye-bye, me. ^^;

I'll definately concede defeat when it comes to your remark about GBD; there's not really all that much important stuff in it. Heh.

But I'm more or less directing my post(s) towards the Melee FANBOYS. I'm fine with someone not liking Brawl, but if they openly complain about it... all the time... Bash anyone who says they like Brawl... Verbally burn a moderator at the stake just for closing close-worthy threads... Etcetera.

Your comment about the "brawl noobs" is fairly justified, though I never saw any complaining on the boards. Maybe I need to lurk into deeper waters more.

I'll also note that Brawl being inferior to Melee is an opinion, though I'm not saying Melee was not deeper, technically- as a game, some prefer Brawl, some prefer Melee. Simple as that.

Lastly, just because people have gone over to Brawl doesn't mean that some of the Melee community has justifiably become downright elitist, or rude. Is there really any way you could justify the "Teh Real Reason Mic_*** Hates Melee" thread, for example? :/ I also can't say that the cause of the "Breaking Brawl" topic was all that smart, no offense to the one who smashed his Brawl disc; it just would've been better to sell it instead of wasting time and effort to smash a game disc instead of making a quick $20-30.

Add to that a few/several trolls that have popped up on the Brawl boards, but I don't doubt the Melee boards have had their fair share...

Oy... Debating makes me so nervous... >_>

I would finish this post saying that the Melee players and Brawl players need to calm down and become peaceful with each other, but this is a forum- physically, it doesn't exist! :p

Firus

You know what? I am good.
BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
Oh, fantastic, I'm up against Firus. >_> Bye-bye, me. ^^;
Haha, you are a worthy opponent yourself.

But I'm more or less directing my post(s) towards the Melee FANBOYS. I'm fine with someone not liking Brawl, but if they openly complain about it... all the time... Bash anyone who says they like Brawl... Verbally burn a moderator at the stake just for closing close-worthy threads... Etcetera.
Yes, I realize that. I wasn't only responding to you, though, and I was also responding to your comment implying that if you like Melee, there's no reason to speak of your dislike for Brawl.

But I agree that bashing anyone who likes Brawl, and the treatment that Mic got from some is overdoing it and not the way it should be gone about.

Your comment about the "brawl noobs" is fairly justified, though I never saw any complaining on the boards. Maybe I need to lurk into deeper waters more.
Well, I suppose some of that isn't really seen on these boards, a lot of it is in other places. But the wavedashing crap...that exists on these boards. Johnny Pteran in this thread (near the bottom of the page) is a good example of this. Also, this is speculation, but just because they don't say it doesn't necessarily mean they don't think it. I was VERY radical about those things, and I think I was actually inspired to join the forum so I could yell at people with that attitude. Fortunately, once I actually joined I went with my better judgment and kept quiet about it for the most part, but for about another month or so, I had that mindset.

I'll also note that Brawl being inferior to Melee is an opinion, though I'm not saying Melee was not deeper, technically- as a game, some prefer Brawl, some prefer Melee. Simple as that.
As an entire game, it is certainly an opinion. But competitively, it is VERY hard to argue that Brawl is more competitive. It encourages camping, lacks combos, punishes you for moving, etc. My only point was competitivity, I would NEVER imply that you are factually wrong if you prefer Brawl.

Lastly, just because people have gone over to Brawl doesn't mean that some of the Melee community has justifiably become downright elitist, or rude. Is there really any way you could justify the "Teh Real Reason Mic_*** Hates Melee" thread, for example? :/
THAT is not justifiable. Just saying that being more vocal about their dislike of Brawl is justified.

I also can't say that the cause of the "Breaking Brawl" topic was all that smart, no offense to the one who smashed his Brawl disc; it just would've been better to sell it instead of wasting time and effort to smash a game disc instead of making a quick $20-30.
It would've been smarter technically, but nothing is a stronger statement of dislike for a game than smashing it. Selling it doesn't really say much. I personally admire Cinder, because as much as I'd love to destroy my Brawl disc completely, I just don't have the guts. No matter what, I am going to think of that $20-30 I could get from selling it. On the other hand, selling the game would be a little iffy, because I won't feel as satisfied getting rid of it and I won't have access to the game anymore. As much as I hate it, I don't like to think that I cannot play the game if I have a moment of insanity and want to.

Add to that a few/several trolls that have popped up on the Brawl boards, but I don't doubt the Melee boards have had their fair share...
True. But yes, Brawlers have their share too. That same Johnny Pteran visited the "When did you realize you didn't like Brawl?" thread and told the people in the thread how they were so obsessed with Melee. Both sides have their demons.

I would finish this post saying that the Melee players and Brawl players need to calm down and become peaceful with each other, but this is a forum- physically, it doesn't exist! :p
I agree, but yeah...the day all Melee-ers and Brawlers live peacefully will be the day of the apocalypse, unfortunately. Or maybe they'll unite if SSB4 is really bad/good.

MuraRengan

Banned via Warnings
Cynical? Yes.

Elitist? No.

As a Melee player, I bash Brawl not because I don't like it, but because it's fun (basing Brawl that is, not Brawl itself). And I'm sure that a lot of other Melee players feel the same.

Also, when discussing Melee players, please keep in mind that most Melee players don't concern themselves with Brawl IRL, only on the forums when they have to be bothered with it.

ndayday

stuck on a whole different plaaaanet
BRoomer
I think that anyone that has/does respect Melee feels that strange urge to yell at the guy who says that wavedashing is a glitch, regardless if they play Melee or not. People like Firus mentioned are just crazy and I honestly do think anyone who knows anything about Melee would believe that.

There's certain people that go to the extreme and post insulting stuff to the Brawl guys, but people like Cinder (guy with the smashed Brawl avi) don't seem as though they TRY to start something, it's more like an inside joke...that anyone that isn't a n00b or wierd understands.

A way I think of it is that the Melee "extremists" are kind of like a fire, and those Brawl n00bs are the little pieces of dried grass and twigs. Sometimes the fire tries to consume the twigs, and sometimes the twigs fall right into the fire, like they want to die.

(and that Melee sig above me makes me want to go play Melee...really bad. I love Melee sigs.)

Cinder

Smash Master
So, I see my name has been brought up a couple of times...I'm not surprised, in a thread like this :B

I may as well address something...

Yes, I hate Brawl...yes, I smashed my disc to pieces and plastered it on YouTube...yes, I wasted money (although I personally feel that the attention, shock value, praise, etc. etc. are worth the money wasted)...but I don't bash Brawl PLAYERS...I willingly accept a person's opinion (though I'll admit that at the same time, I make my opinion clear) as long as they're not a complete n00b about it *coughJohnnyPterancough*...I mean, hell, I hang out in a chat with a bunch of Brawlers...if they start talking about Brawl, I just go to another tab...

Point I'm tryin' to make is that as long as a Brawler can defend their reasons for liking Brawl, I usually leave them alone...even if I do make a few Brawl cracks (figuratively AND literally :B)...

Patinator

Smash Champion
Haha, you are a worthy opponent yourself.

Really? Thanks. I've never debated before. ^^;

Yes, I realize that. I wasn't only responding to you, though, and I was also responding to your comment implying that if you like Melee, there's no reason to speak of your dislike for Brawl.

But I agree that bashing anyone who likes Brawl, and the treatment that Mic got from some is overdoing it and not the way it should be gone about.

I see.

Well, I suppose some of that isn't really seen on these boards, a lot of it is in other places. But the wavedashing crap...that exists on these boards. Johnny Pteran in this thread (near the bottom of the page) is a good example of this. Also, this is speculation, but just because they don't say it doesn't necessarily mean they don't think it. I was VERY radical about those things, and I think I was actually inspired to join the forum so I could yell at people with that attitude. Fortunately, once I actually joined I went with my better judgment and kept quiet about it for the most part, but for about another month or so, I had that mindset.

Well... Hmmm. If they don't say it, at least they aren't telling everyone about it. ;) If it wasn't for flame infractions, the mindset you had for a month... that's a good mindset to have, actually. :p

As an entire game, it is certainly an opinion. But competitively, it is VERY hard to argue that Brawl is more competitive. It encourages camping, lacks combos, punishes you for moving, etc. My only point was competitivity, I would NEVER imply that you are factually wrong if you prefer Brawl.

If... If someone could explain why combos can make or break a competitively better/worse game, I'd appreciate it. I've never understood that. >_< I don't agree with Melee being less competitive, though.

THAT is not justifiable. Just saying that being more vocal about their dislike of Brawl is justified.

Well, as long as no one forces their opinions onto other people! ^^

It would've been smarter technically, but nothing is a stronger statement of dislike for a game than smashing it. Selling it doesn't really say much. I personally admire Cinder, because as much as I'd love to destroy my Brawl disc completely, I just don't have the guts. No matter what, I am going to think of that $20-30 I could get from selling it. On the other hand, selling the game would be a little iffy, because I won't feel as satisfied getting rid of it and I won't have access to the game anymore. As much as I hate it, I don't like to think that I cannot play the game if I have a moment of insanity and want to.

Mm. Selling it just seems the more efficient choice. I don't want to get into personal philosophy though. >_>

True. But yes, Brawlers have their share too. That same Johnny Pteran visited the "When did you realize you didn't like Brawl?" thread and told the people in the thread how they were so obsessed with Melee. Both sides have their demons.

Yeah...

I agree, but yeah...the day all Melee-ers and Brawlers live peacefully will be the day of the apocalypse, unfortunately. Or maybe they'll unite if SSB4 is really bad/good.

If SSB4 comes around. But sadly, not everyone can be satisfied... I wonder if a hybrid of some of Melee's techs and Brawl's physics would please. '.'
Comments in bold because I'm too lazy to break that up into multiple quotes. >_>

Cinder said:
So, I see my name has been brought up a couple of times...I'm not surprised, in a thread like this :B

Yeah, you're a pretty well-known Brawl-hater. :p

I may as well address something...

Yes, I hate Brawl...yes, I smashed my disc to pieces and plastered it on YouTube...yes, I wasted money (although I personally feel that the attention, shock value, praise, etc. etc. are worth the money wasted)...but I don't bash Brawl PLAYERS...I willingly accept a person's opinion (though I'll admit that at the same time, I make my opinion clear) as long as they're not a complete n00b about it *coughJohnnyPterancough*...I mean, hell, I hang out in a chat with a bunch of Brawlers...if they start talking about Brawl, I just go to another tab...

That goes to show you shouldn't judge people over the internet based off of one thread they made. Ahem. ^^;;;

Point I'm tryin' to make is that as long as a Brawler can defend their reasons for liking Brawl, I usually leave them alone...even if I do make a few Brawl cracks (figuratively AND literally :B)...

There's one thing I don't get- didn't you post enthusiastically in the thread against Mic? :/

Ah-ha-ha-ha.
My opinion about Melee's fans is changing. O_o

Mith_

Smash Champion
My opinion about Melee's fans is changing. O_o
Mine already has, I can see where they are coming from now that I've actually played Melee.

I came into smash only playing Brawl. I didn't even know the name of the second one so how could I think it sucked lol. But when I joined smashboards and people were saying brawl sucks and we were noobs because we couldn't play melee hurt me. Of course I never responded because I've never played it. I played it for the first time in I think November of this year and its pretty great.

Fletch

Smash Master
Cynical? Yes.

Elitist? No.

As a Melee player, I bash Brawl not because I don't like it, but because it's fun (basing Brawl that is, not Brawl itself). And I'm sure that a lot of other Melee players feel the same.

Also, when discussing Melee players, please keep in mind that most Melee players don't concern themselves with Brawl IRL, only on the forums when they have to be bothered with it.
On something kind of unrelated, your signature is what makes Melee so awesome. Can I steal that?

Top Bottom