• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important Melee, Hacks, and You -- New Hackers Start Here, in the OP!

Kadano

Magical Express
if you load wireframes with the debug menu, they are fully usable and have moves with hitboxes. The only problem is they have no b moves and no win screen animation (along with giga bowser) so if you win with them, the game freezes. I assume you could change the move hitbox attributes in the character file, just like with the other characters. What I have wanted to know is if there is a way to give giga bowser and wireframes win screen animations so the game dosnt freeze when you win.
I was asking about Sandbag, though, not Wireframes. But yeah, improving Wireframes’ hitboxes would be really easy. Adding B moves might be accomplishable just by pasting the relevant parts of Pl**.dol from other characters in, but from the little experience I have with Melee’s code, there will be several and severe difficulties.

TheRogueTwinkie

Smash Rookie
I'm not sure I completely understand so before I waste time trying this out. If I download a dat file that is meant to replace Falco's neutral color, I can't simply rename it to replace his green color?

Doq

Smash Lord
I'm not sure I completely understand so before I waste time trying this out. If I download a dat file that is meant to replace Falco's neutral color, I can't simply rename it to replace his green color?
No. There are other things too. I'm not entirely sure on the details of it either, you may want to wait for the texture gurus to show up.
I think it has something to do with the texture's footer (the end of the file).
I know this doesn't work with Jigglypuff.

DireDrop

Smash Journeyman
I'm having trouble loading codes for SSBM. Both USB Loader GX and CFG USB Loader will recognize my GALE01.tx file and convert it into a GALE01.gct file, but they don't apply the codes. I've also tried using this thing called NeoGamma, which also sees my codes and claims to apply them, but it doesn't. In each of these apps, after they "apply" the codes and boot the game my Wii either: shuts off, freezes on a black screen, or boots the game normally with no codes applied. Can anyone help me?

FrederickCrescent

Smash Rookie
Hello

I'm currently trying to mod voices and sound effects, the only thing stopping me is that dspadpcm.exe crashes on me everytime I type up the command in cmd to decode a dsp file, and I get a corrupted file. I'm on windows 7; is anyone else having this problem?

The Realest

Smash Cadet
I know there isn't much being done with stage hacking, but if someone could take off the small left and right platforms on Jungle Japes and just have the middle part along with no water/claptraps, I would be grateful.

Element of Smash

Scrub Lord
So...I'm actually having a hard time finding dspadpcm.exe available for downloading.

Maybe I just suck at google?

EDIT: I'm such a ****ing scrub. Totally missed the OP links. Please don't throw me off SB.

Last edited:

P 1

Smash Cadet
Ah... CSP guide COULD kind of work for that, except you wouldn't need to apply transparency (Magenta)... and, I believe those are +1 files... Or something.

Err
Yeah. They're located in the same .USD/.DAT file as the Character Selection Portraits (CSPs), though. Dunno if I ever released their placements...

Ah, and really cool stuff, Magus420. Glad to see it's not just us smaller members workin' behind the scenes on this stuff. Bowser-to-Giga Bowser PSA thing for the win?

...In any case, been considering uploading another custom Melee. Pretty much has a lot of stuff seen in my vids. Would anyone want just for kicks?

Maaaaaaan, this bites, can't play Melee stuff on the Wii for some reason. HBC works, but I think I need to reinstall the GCN Backup Launcher or something... Anyone have any tips as to what I should take a look into fixing? (I tried the guide on page 1, but the link for the apps appliances is broken for me.)
hey steelia, i understand this is super old, but i'm trying to mod my CSPs.

just a quick question before i reference your guide: will using Melee SD interfere with modding CSPs, using the method in this instructional you made?

it's always so sketchy trying to mod other melee things with a .dol as heavily modded as Melee SDs. any insight is appreciated :^)

Achilles1515

Smash Master
hey steelia, i understand this is super old, but i'm trying to mod my CSPs.

just a quick question before i reference your guide: will using Melee SD interfere with modding CSPs, using the method in this instructional you made?

it's always so sketchy trying to mod other melee things with a .dol as heavily modded as Melee SDs. any insight is appreciated :^)
When modding CSPs, all you are changing is the MnSlChr.usd file. You are not modifying the DOL or specific character files or anything so you have no need to worry about this.

Achilles1515

Smash Master
Question: Is it possible to, say, have one of Falco's colors expel dark flames while leaving the rest unaltered?
I’m assuming you’re talking about the purple up-b? And I forget exactly how that mod is structured but I assume it is only a change in the EfFx.dat file.

If so, then yes, it’s technically possible. You would have to replace some file in the game (like a trophy file, or some Japanese file) with the EfFx purple fire file and then have the game load that EfFx file instead of the original based on what character/costume is about to be loaded.

GunBlaze

Smash Lord
Slippi.gg
GBLZ#778
I’m assuming you’re talking about the purple up-b? And I forget exactly how that mod is structured but I assume it is only a change in the EfFx.dat file.
Pretty much this, yes.

If so, then yes, it’s technically possible. You would have to replace some file in the game (like a trophy file, or some Japanese file) with the EfFx purple fire file and then have the game load that EfFx file instead of the original based on what character/costume is about to be loaded.
Can that even be done?

Achilles1515

Smash Master
Pretty much this, yes.

Can that even be done?
Yes. That's what I figured out how to do in the 20XX pack.

Take the normal stage select screen and hacked stage select screen as an example.
When you press d-pad down, it changes the file name that is to be loaded for the stage select screen. So the hacked stage select screen is a totally separate file from the original one.

The same logic is used for alternate costumes.
I replaced the trophy file TyRoyR.dat with the golden brawl fox file. So once L is pressed to toggle the alternate costume, the games code is changed to load TyRoyR.dat instead of PlFxNr.dat.

There's a lot of possibilities with this....to say the least.

GunBlaze

Smash Lord
Slippi.gg
GBLZ#778
Yes. That's what I figured out how to do in the 20XX pack.

Take the normal stage select screen and hacked stage select screen as an example.
When you press d-pad down, it changes the file name that is to be loaded for the stage select screen. So the hacked stage select screen is a totally separate file from the original one.

The same logic is used for alternate costumes.
I replaced the trophy file TyRoyR.dat with the golden brawl fox file. So once L is pressed to toggle the alternate costume, the games code is changed to load TyRoyR.dat instead of PlFxNr.dat.

There's a lot of possibilities with this....to say the least.
You...

This is the hax of the century!

EDIT: I can has Dark Flames Falco for 20XX? :3

Last edited:

Hipporage

Smash Rookie
So I'm really new to this and may sound noobish, but is this only possible for the PC? Am wondering if I can upgrade the look of melee on my wii without losing frames or performance. Thank you for your help (gotta love the smash community, so giving and helpful)

Doq

Smash Lord
So I'm really new to this and may sound noobish, but is this only possible for the PC? Am wondering if I can upgrade the look of melee on my wii without losing frames or performance. Thank you for your help (gotta love the smash community, so giving and helpful)
http://smashboards.com/threads/backing-up-a-copy-of-melee-for-use-through-usb-sd.359095/
Or alternatively, if you don't have GC support on your Wii (or Wii U)
http://smashboards.com/threads/how-to-gamecube-games-on-your-wii-u-or-newer-wii.359975/

Last edited:

Hipporage

Smash Rookie
Thanks man! (or woman) you have once again proved that the smash community always comes through for its own. :)

JuMP

Smash Rookie
Alright so I just started to make my own textures and followed the guide linked on the first page, but I'm still stumped on the hex editing phase of the process. When I go to insert the TLPs in the .DAT file, some of them overlap. I'm not sure if this is normal, but I followed S.'s placements (on the lavender fox skin) and just pasted over the ends of the TLP that came right before it in the DAT file (this leads to the texture crashing upon load). If anyone could give a more detailed explanation of how to insert the TLP's correctly into the .dat in the hex editing program I'd love it.

Achilles1515

Smash Master
Alright so I just started to make my own textures and followed the guide linked on the first page, but I'm still stumped on the hex editing phase of the process. When I go to insert the TLPs in the .DAT file, some of them overlap. I'm not sure if this is normal, but I followed S.'s placements (on the lavender fox skin) and just pasted over the ends of the TLP that came right before it in the DAT file (this leads to the texture crashing upon load). If anyone could give a more detailed explanation of how to insert the TLP's correctly into the .dat in the hex editing program I'd love it.
Stop everything you are doing.

Search this forum for Melee Toolkit by InternetExplorer. No hex editing necessary.

The Melee Toolkit covers character's costumes but you'll still need to learn how to hex edit textures if you plan on doing anything else (stages, character select portraits, stage select screen, etc. )

Last edited:

ιota [UPSB]

Smash Cadet
So I kind of have a dilemma with regards to music hacking (I think some others may have experienced this or commented on it as well, but I haven't found a good solution yet).

When preparing WAVs for conversion to HPS, splitting stereo tracks that would otherwise be quite far from the range of clipping into two mono tracks brings them much closer to, or over, this threshold. In other words, to prevent the audio from clipping, I generally have to gain tracks by around -6 db or so. However, in my experience, to get their volume to be comparable to the standard ingame stage music, I would have to gain them by something like 10-20 db, which would cause heavy clipping and thus ruin the tracks.

I would like to prevent (significant) loss of quality in the music I put in, especially since hps_insert is imperfect and causes some crackles and other artifacts as is. However, I would have to set the sfx ratio for music/sounds to something like 75/25 or more in order to compensate for how quiet the hacked audio ends up being relative to the regular melee stage music. I wouldn't mind doing this, but that would mean that unless I replace every single stage track with one of my own, and/or adjust the volume of them all accordingly, then my hacked music would sound fine, and the standard music would be insanely loud (e.g. the menu music).

Is there any way to do something like normalize or otherwise adjust the volume of all the melee bgm, via DOL mods or anything of that sort, or do I just have to pick between quality loss or quietness and having to adjust the ingame sfx ratio settings?

Sidenote: @ Achilles1515 Achilles1515 , those edits you told me to try out over in the 20XX thread seem to have worked. However, I noticed a really strange side effect of something, possibly in the most recent 20XX pretest? All of the punctuation characters (and no others, from what I could tell) have weird, zalgo-text-like distortions on them...or is this a problem with something else that's only my fault? I really have no idea how this could even happen, but here's a low-quality picture of my tv (lel) to show you what I mean: http://i.imgur.com/SCocP6r.jpg?1

Last edited:

Achilles1515

Smash Master
So I kind of have a dilemma with regards to music hacking (I think some others may have experienced this or commented on it as well, but I haven't found a good solution yet).

When preparing WAVs for conversion to HPS, splitting stereo tracks that would otherwise be quite far from the range of clipping into two mono tracks brings them much closer to, or over, this threshold. In other words, to prevent the audio from clipping, I generally have to gain tracks by around -6 db or so. However, in my experience, to get their volume to be comparable to the standard ingame stage music, I would have to gain them by something like 10-20 db, which would cause heavy clipping and thus ruin the tracks.

I would like to prevent (significant) loss of quality in the music I put in, especially since hps_insert is imperfect and causes some crackles and other artifacts as is. However, I would have to set the sfx ratio for music/sounds to something like 75/25 or more in order to compensate for how quiet the hacked audio ends up being relative to the regular melee stage music. I wouldn't mind doing this, but that would mean that unless I replace every single stage track with one of my own, and/or adjust the volume of them all accordingly, then my hacked music would sound fine, and the standard music would be insanely loud (e.g. the menu music).

Is there any way to do something like normalize or otherwise adjust the volume of all the melee bgm, via DOL mods or anything of that sort, or do I just have to pick between quality loss or quietness and having to adjust the ingame sfx ratio settings?

Sidenote: @ Achilles1515 Achilles1515 , those edits you told me to try out over in the 20XX thread seem to have worked. However, I noticed a really strange side effect of something, possibly in the most recent 20XX pretest? All of the punctuation characters (and no others, from what I could tell) have weird, zalgo-text-like distortions on them...or is this a problem with something else that's only my fault? I really have no idea how this could even happen, but here's a low-quality picture of my tv (lel) to show you what I mean: http://i.imgur.com/SCocP6r.jpg?1
Maybe @BobbyTheBrokeMonarch can help you with the audio stuff.

I've had the weird text thing happen to me before, but only on my girlfriend's HDTV. Idk what is causing it though unfortunately.

ιota [UPSB]

Smash Cadet
So an update to the issues I had before:

I found a solution to the volume problem, which is to just amplify the tracks as much as possible with no clipping (audacity has a built in function for this), and to then run them through a compressor to increase the loudness. The only thing compressing the audio sacrifices is dynamics, and something like a 6:1 compression ratio on things like piano instrumentals doesn't severely remove the dynamics, but greatly increases the loudness. After running a song through the amplify function and a 6:1 compressor which was insanely quiet before, it's now just as loud as the regular BGM.

However, I still haven't found a way to prevent crackles in the audio, and I think it may not even have anything to do with imperfections in hps_insert. I listened to the hps file for the track mentioned above, and it was flawless, no crackles or defects whatsoever, sounded identical to the wav file. I also re-exported it after inserting it into the relevant stage audio file to double check that this gcr insertion process wasn't to blame (though why would it be...), and it still sounded fine. Yet, when I listen to it in-game, I get many defects, crackles, etc., and I have noooooo idea why (also, it's not related to my tv speakers, a regular stage bgm sounded perfect) ;_____;

Any ideas anyone? @BobbyTheBrokeMonarch maybe? At least now I can archive the finished hps tracks that come out perfectly, in case a solution is ever found by myself or someone else.

Last edited:

Kadano

Magical Express
Has anyone done a code yet that enables damage staling in develop mode? If not, would anyone who knows how to do this be so kind and write one for me? This would help me with my video project.

Achilles1515

Smash Master
Has anyone done a code yet that enables damage staling in develop mode? If not, would anyone who knows how to do this be so kind and write one for me? This would help me with my video project.
Nope. No one has figured that out. I briefly looked awhile ago but didn't find anything.

Last edited:

Kadano

Magical Express
Nope. No one has figured that out. I briefly looked awhile ago but didn't find anything.
Thanks for the quick reply. I’m too lazy to get started with debug-Dolphin, so I used a workaround to get what I want. I edited Falco’s shine damage down from 8 to 6 so that it always triggers DownDamage on targets in knockdown. Just putting that out here for people who also want to play around with crazy physics.

cjugs

Smash Ace
my wii's been hacked for some time i used letterbomb... but now for some reason i think it's bricked, ( black screen only). however i can still hold reset and it takes me to the priloader but it says error on everything except for homebrew and my neogamma actually wont load games on there for some reason. what can i do to fix this? Also i think the laser on my wii sucks because i can't play brawl without it crashing after about 2 minutes.

Doq

Smash Lord
my wii's been hacked for some time i used letterbomb... but now for some reason i think it's bricked, ( black screen only). however i can still hold reset and it takes me to the priloader but it says error on everything except for homebrew and my neogamma actually wont load games on there for some reason. what can i do to fix this? Also i think the laser on my wii sucks because i can't play brawl without it crashing after about 2 minutes.
Did you make a backup of your NAND beforehand?

cjugs

Smash Ace
when i was hacking the wii the first time it asked me and i know i said yes. but idk if something is wrong because it says error all of the time now when i click the stuff from the priloader.

Achilles1515

Smash Master
Thanks for the quick reply. I’m too lazy to get started with debug-Dolphin, so I used a workaround to get what I want. I edited Falco’s shine damage down from 8 to 6 so that it always triggers DownDamage on targets in knockdown. Just putting that out here for people who also want to play around with crazy physics.
Once you get started wth Debug Dolphin then you'll never stop. I suggest you start ASAP. You, especially, would really enjoy it.

I know I've said this a lot, but watch IE's amazing tutorial. And then use this document of various SSBM 1.02 memory offsets to start playing around with changing values mid-game. And then just link a few things together and you've made something cool :)

Last edited:

Yardo

Smash Rookie
I have a texture hacking question (possibly a noob question).

I've designed new textures for Falco's red outfit, but I have this weird problem where even though I made both eyelid textures black, his old orange eyelids pops up in the game. I've only been using the .dat file for red falco, and I've replaced all of his other textures without a problem. His normal eye texture (Texture 14) is working correctly, but the secondary one (Texture 24) is the one I think is causing the problem. I've tried making textures 14 and 24 the exact same, as well as slightly different, but it's still acting as if 24 is the old orange eyelid. (e.g. his eyelids turn orange whenever he fsmashes)

I was thinking that maybe I just have a bad .dat file and I should just get a new one and replace all the textures again. Any ideas?

Achilles1515

Smash Master
I have a texture hacking question (possibly a noob question).

I've designed new textures for Falco's red outfit, but I have this weird problem where even though I made both eyelid textures black, his old orange eyelids pops up in the game. I've only been using the .dat file for red falco, and I've replaced all of his other textures without a problem. His normal eye texture (Texture 14) is working correctly, but the secondary one (Texture 24) is the one I think is causing the problem. I've tried making textures 14 and 24 the exact same, as well as slightly different, but it's still acting as if 24 is the old orange eyelid. (e.g. his eyelids turn orange whenever he fsmashes)

I was thinking that maybe I just have a bad .dat file and I should just get a new one and replace all the textures again. Any ideas?
So you're using the Melee Toolkit? This problem is due to the fact that the Melee Toolkit, for whatever reason, does not cover every texture for certain characters. I just checked and it is missing a couple of Falco's eye textures.

You can see what I mean if you go to this post by Steelia and follow the download link for "Characters" and then navigate to red falco.

After extracting that download file, you can look in it and see all his textures. Specifically, look at textures 25 & 26, EyeBack and EyeCross (different numbering than the Melee Toolkit btw). They are ones not in the Melee Toolkit. This means you'll need to manually hex replace them. The textures are _14 (CMPR), thankfully, which means they are pretty easy to replace.

There's a link on the first page of this thread for replacing CMPR textures, and there's a text file in that Red Falco download that gives the offset in the dat for replacement of those textures.

Last edited:
Top Bottom