• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important Melee, Hacks, and You -- New Hackers Start Here, in the OP!

Smokey Huntz

Smash Apprentice
someone told me that there was an ISO floating around where all the HPS files were 14 minutes or something along those lines (to allow for bigger hps files) is that true and if so may I have a link if anyone knows where it is that is

TerryJ

Smash Journeyman
NNID
1337-1337-1337
3DS FC
1337-1337-1337
someone told me that there was an ISO floating around where all the HPS files were 14 minutes or something along those lines (to allow for bigger hps files) is that true and if so may I have a link if anyone knows where it is that is
I made one a while back for my own use but I didn't upload it. All you really need to do is replace the how to play video with something small like Falcon's Winning video freeing up space for the ISO, then replace all music files with the swm_15min file or what ever it's called and you'll be able to use that as the base for all music hacking.

Also just a heads up you're not actually allowed to ask for a whole ISO as it's against the rules to distribute it.

how do i use GC tool? i have textures but no idea how to use GC tool to add them? please help
First open up your .ISO/.GCM by going to File > Open GC-Iso, after your ISO opens click the + on the right side, this will display all of the contents inside of your ISO. Find the file you want to replace (for example Falcon's Blue Skin PlFaBu.dat) and right click it, then click Replace File, find the file you want and select it.

Boom! You've replaced a file in your iso! GC-Tool is great for replacing files one at a time but if you want to add/change lots of files at once you should use GC-Rebuilder as it lets you compile an entire folder into an ISO at once allowing for bulk importing.

Last edited:

Pryvate Pigeon

Smash Cadet
How would I go about doing something like removing Fox's helmet gear or making his eyes remain closed for a texture even when they should be open?
Does anyone have anything for me? I read about 50 or so pages on this thread and saw some stuff on vertex editing but nothing I could really do to get what I wanted done...

TerryJ

Smash Journeyman
NNID
1337-1337-1337
3DS FC
1337-1337-1337
Does anyone have anything for me? I read about 50 or so pages on this thread and saw some stuff on vertex editing but nothing I could really do to get what I wanted done...
You're about at the same position as I am on this. I'd love to be able to remove falcon's helmet or give him Fox's Jacket but I really don't know anything about modeling or what it would entail.

Smokey Huntz

Smash Apprentice
I made one a while back for my own use but I didn't upload it. All you really need to do is replace the how to play video with something small like Falcon's Winning video freeing up space for the ISO, then replace all music files with the swm_15min file or what ever it's called and you'll be able to use that as the base for all music hacking.

Also just a heads up you're not actually allowed to ask for a whole ISO as it's against the rules to distribute it.

First open up your .ISO/.GCM by going to File > Open GC-Iso, after your ISO opens click the + on the right side, this will display all of the contents inside of your ISO. Find the file you want to replace (for example Falcon's Blue Skin PlFaBu.dat) and right click it, then click Replace File, find the file you want and select it.

Boom! You've replaced a file in your iso! GC-Tool is great for replacing files one at a time but if you want to add/change lots of files at once you should use GC-Rebuilder as it lets you compile an entire folder into an ISO at once allowing for bulk importing.
Thanks a metric ton I got it all working

ιota [UPSB]

Smash Cadet
@ Smokey Huntz Smokey Huntz @ TerryJ TerryJ

For the record, I'm not sure if this has been mentioned/practiced extensively already or if either of you care about doing this, but when you make or DL custom hps files, as long as you do it the non-manual loop way where you figure out the loop points for whatever track you're putting in and edit the relevant addresses in the hps file, you can and should delete the remaining blocks which aren't read anyway after the loop point you set. So if you set a loop point at whatever block that corresponds to the end of the song where you want it to loop, just go the the next block after that and delete the remainder, or at least delete all silence at the end of the file i.e. the portion of the 14 minute hps which you haven't actually used up with your track.

That way you won't have a 14 minute audio file for every stage but one with whatever length relevant to the song you've made for each one you replace, and you should have more than enough space to replace every single track possible if you wanted to. If you only want to stick in a couple of songs this isn't worth the trouble, but if like me your eventual goal is to have a fully custom set of stage music files (possibly keeping some regular ingame music as desired) and then to use random stage music to shuffle it, this kind of thing might be necessary if space runs low.

Smokey Huntz

Smash Apprentice
@ Smokey Huntz Smokey Huntz @ TerryJ TerryJ

For the record, I'm not sure if this has been mentioned/practiced extensively already or if either of you care about doing this, but when you make or DL custom hps files, as long as you do it the non-manual loop way where you figure out the loop points for whatever track you're putting in and edit the relevant addresses in the hps file, you can and should delete the remaining blocks which aren't read anyway after the loop point you set. So if you set a loop point at whatever block that corresponds to the end of the song where you want it to loop, just go the the next block after that and delete the remainder, or at least delete all silence at the end of the file i.e. the portion of the 14 minute hps which you haven't actually used up with your track.

That way you won't have a 14 minute audio file for every stage but one with whatever length relevant to the song you've made for each one you replace, and you should have more than enough space to replace every single track possible if you wanted to. If you only want to stick in a couple of songs this isn't worth the trouble, but if like me your eventual goal is to have a fully custom set of stage music files (possibly keeping some regular ingame music as desired) and then to use random stage music to shuffle it, this kind of thing might be necessary if space runs low.

Yeah I figured this out a lil bit before you posted it lol.

Also does anyone have a list of the stage names and their corresponding HPS files (I can't find battle field is why I ask)

TerryJ

Smash Journeyman
NNID
1337-1337-1337
3DS FC
1337-1337-1337
Yeah I figured this out a lil bit before you posted it lol.

Also does anyone have a list of the stage names and their corresponding HPS files (I can't find battle field is why I ask)
It's on the OP of GSUB's SIMPLE Step-By-Step Music Hacking Guide for the Masses! thread, but I'll quote it here for you.
[collapse=Show Stages]Rainbow Cruise | rcruise.hps
Jungle Japes | kongo.hps
Great Bay | greatbay.hps (song must be 45.8 secs or less here)
Brinstar | zebes.hps
Yoshi's Story | ystory.hps
Yoshi's Island | yorster.hps
Fountain of Dreams | izumi.hps
Green Greens | greens.hps
Corneria | corneria.hps
Pokemon Stadium | pstadium.hps
Poke Floats | purs.hps
Mute City | mutecity.hps
Kongo Jungle 64 | old_dk.hps
Dream Land 64 | old_kb.hps
Battlefield | sp_zako.hps
Battlefield Alternate | hyaku.hps
Final Destination | sp_end.hps
Final Destination Alternate | hyaku2.hps
Menu 1 | menu01.hps
Menu 2/Menu Alternate | menu3.hps[/collapse]

TerryJ

Smash Journeyman
NNID
1337-1337-1337
3DS FC
1337-1337-1337
Thank you I shouldn'ta been lazy and looked for it so I appreciate you doing it for me
No problem mate. I browse the Melee workshop a lawt so I've got some kind of idea where most the information on something is located. I'm happy to help anyone get started on hacking the game more.

Smasher81

Smash Rookie
I'm having a hard time finding MewTwo's hitbox data. I only found his D-Air. How am I supposed to find the other move's data?

Achilles1515

Smash Master
I'm having a hard time finding MewTwo's hitbox data. I only found his D-Air. How am I supposed to find the other move's data?
Just spitballin here, but I would download the Master Hand program found somewhere in this forum (search for it). And then you should be able to open Mewtwo's move data and it will show the hexadecimal somewhere on that Master Hand page. Then copy those hex values and search for them in Mewtwo's dat file.

I've only opened up Master Hand once, but that was the "post it" note that I made for it in my mind.

DRGN

Technowizard
If you use Master Hand to find an offset, and then decide to look for that offset in the respective .dat file, you need to add 0x20 to the offset first.

e.g. if Master Hand says a certain property is at 0x012345, you need to add 0x20 to it, and then look up 0x012365. This extra 20 is the .dat file's header data, which Master Hand doesn't take into account.

Flossy

Smash Cadet
If I find a memory address using Dolphin that I would like to permanently change in my iso, what would be the best way to go about doing that?

D

Deleted member 189823

Hello I've got a question. Not exactly Maylay related, however.

I would like to patch a game with a translation patch (that already exists), but on the actual console (or Wii). Is it possible? How would that work? I have the game in Japanese and there's an English patch for it.

IAmProPAGANda

Smash Cadet
Could someone do me a real big favor and PM me a link of the ISO file to andrewpagan95@gmail.com used in this video: Melee Hacks Update by SleepK. (Sorry it wont let me link the video).

I asked the video owner but he said he no longer has it. Any help would be great. Thanks :)

Wooggle

Smash Apprentice
I have a question about loading the Melee ISOs with a DVD. I am not asking how to do it, I just have a question about it before I waste a DVD.

A month ago, I spent a lot of time replacing all the music in a Melee iso with my own custom music, and when I booted up the game with an SD card using Dios Mios, everything worked except the matches took a while to load. By a while, I mean that it took about 10 min to load each INDIVIDUAL MATCH. So it was basically unplayable.

My question before I burn the iso onto a disc and waste the disc is, if I use a disc to load melee instead of an SD card, will the games load at normal speed or will it still take 10 min to load each MATCH?

thanks!

DRGN

Technowizard
If the files are the same size, I would assume they would take the same amount of time to load if it's the same type of media (DVD). But even if the songs were a bit bigger, I can't imagine they would take long. What was the speed class of your SD card? It sounds like you just need a faster one. Even fast ones are pretty cheap, and you wouldn't need the fastest out there. I don't know what the Wii's bottleneck is, but I use Speed 10s and UHS 1s, which work well. I haven't timed it, but it seems like DVD might still be a fraction of a second (like a half a second or less) faster to load a match.

Myougi

My posts are gluten free.
I'm working on a CSS right now with a bunch of new icons and I'm at the point (I think) to use TexConv, but I'm stuck. Does anyone know if there is a way and if there is a guide I can use to put all this CSS stuff into MnSlChr.usd? I keep getting errors in TextConv.

Some examples of the CSS icons I've been working on. All of them are done below.

Another thingy. Does anyone know how to change the background color of the CSS? I can't seem to figure out how to change that.

Edit: Found a tutorial and I think I noticed where I messed up. I moved all my icons to a new folder set and ran TexConv and now I know that none of my TGAs have palettes. Welp, time to fix that if I can figure it out.
Here's a link to what I have now: https://mega.co.nz/#!9A8nGBDZ!j_d6jmS5xcFVYU23M6wxPzv2Lsta6VnMqHQ1ltkh6xs

Last edited:

Goxplex

Smash Apprentice
I'm working on a CSS right now with a bunch of new icons and I'm at the point (I think) to use TexConv, but I'm stuck. Does anyone know if there is a way and if there is a guide I can use to put all this CSS stuff into MnSlChr.usd? I keep getting errors in TextConv.

Some examples of the CSS icons I've been working on. All of them are done below.

Another thingy. Does anyone know how to change the background color of the CSS? I can't seem to figure out how to change that.

Edit: Found a tutorial and I think I noticed where I messed up. I moved all my icons to a new folder set and ran TexConv and now I know that none of my TGAs have palettes. Welp, time to fix that if I can figure it out.
Here's a link to what I have now: https://mega.co.nz/#!9A8nGBDZ!j_d6jmS5xcFVYU23M6wxPzv2Lsta6VnMqHQ1ltkh6xs
How do I add transparency to the corners in the CSS icons? I get palette errors every time I try the magenta method. Would you please provide the link to the guide you used?

Here is an example (red) of what happens if I let the corners intact. How do I add transparency to them? Is it possible?

Last edited:

Myougi

My posts are gluten free.
How do I add transparency to the corners in the CSS icons? I get palette errors every time I try the magenta method. Would you please provide the link to the guide you used?
How do I add transparency to them?
I didn't use a guide really, I just went partially off an existing CSS and my knowledge of Photoshop (for once, school is helping me in life jkjk)

Basically for transparent corners (I think this should work) just simply paint them black and make sure 'Use Alpha Channels' is ticked when you use Save As to export it.

Do you know how to add palettes to the icons? I'm still stuck on that bit.

Last edited:

DRGN

Technowizard
So, I found this file for SSBMO Addresses. But apparently these are not the same as vanilla Melee? (For example the value I have for P2 damage is 80cb18d0, but that spreadsheet lists it as 0x453F70. Also, why else would they not simply name it SSBM Addresses.)

Is there a list of addresses like this for vanilla Melee somewhere? Sorry if this common knowledge and I am just missing it. Basically, I still want to find the memory addresses for the camera, so I can immediately set it to where I want. X and Z values are most important, followed by Y and vertical roll. I actually have a method that works, but doing it via memory addresses would save a lot of time. Thank you if you're able to help.

Last edited:

Achilles1515

Smash Master
So, I found this file for SSBMO Addresses. But apparently these are not the same as vanilla Melee? (For example the value I have for P2 damage is 80cb18d0, but that spreadsheet lists it as 0x453F70. Also, why else would they not simply name it SSBM Addresses.)

Is there a list of addresses like this for vanilla Melee somewhere? Sorry if this common knowledge and I am just missing it. Basically, I still want to find the memory addresses for the camera, so I can immediately set it to where I want. X and Z values are most important, followed by Y and vertical roll. I actually have a method that works, but doing it via memory addresses would save a lot of time. Thank you if you're able to help.
That spreadsheet(s) is amazing and something that IE, Massive, I, and some others have been contributing to. I use it everyday.

There's a difference between on-screen percent and true damage percentage (which is a 32-bit float).

On-screen percents are located in those static addresses and are just 16-bit integer values. (0x0005 = 5%, 0x000f = 15%, 0x00ff = 255%, 0x03e7 = 999%, etc.)

What you are looking at is likely the floating point actual damage value. This is stored in each player's specific data offset (which are normally in the 80cxxxxx range).

You'll see what I mean if you do this:

1) Play game and pause midmatch (maybe get some damage on a character so looking at a damage value will be more obvious).

2) In the global addresses tab, look at the address for "P1 data pointer" - 0x453130. Go to this address in Debug Dolphin and you will see it is a pointer value to another memory address. This memory address that it points to is the start of P1's data offset.

3) So take your calculator and punch into it the value of P1's data offset that you just found. Go to the "Data Offset" tab on the spreadsheet and scroll down until you see "percentage" (+0x1890).

4) Add 0x1890 to the value in your calculator and now you have the address of P1's 32-bit damage percent.

And now you should see exactly how powerful that spreadsheet and the "Data offset" tab is. IE and Massive (and whoever else prior to me) had like 95% of those data offset characteristics already mapped out when I started coding and I've added a few things since. I wouldn't be anywhere close to as accomplished as I have been without this information. They deserve many props.

Last edited:

DRGN

Technowizard
Ahh, OK. That makes sense. I knew that damage was stored as a decimal and then rounded before being displayed, but for some reason I didn't think about the fact that the result of the calculation would also still be stored before being displayed. Lol derp.

And thanks for the rest. I'll play with it when I get home.

Achilles1515

Smash Master
Ahh, OK. That makes sense. I knew that damage was stored as a decimal and then rounded before being displayed, but for some reason I didn't think about the fact that the result of the calculation would also still be stored before being displayed. Lol derp.

And thanks for the rest. I'll play with it when I get home.
WARNING:
"Playing" around with things any further will get you sucked into Melee's code indefinitely.

All you need to do is have that spreadsheet,this intro to hacking tutorial video, a basic understanding of Dolphin's "Cheat Search" [see video], and this PowerPC ASM Instruction Reference and it will all start to make sense and you will be consumed with ideas of how to make the game better. Expect little sleep over the next few days as the moment your head hits the pillow, your mind will realize this is the perfect time to go into uninterrupted overdrive mode connecting ideas (all those memory addresses) to solve your previous desires/desires of others on this forum.

Just a fair warning for anyone other people in your life.

(I think I need to make an updated "Hacking Tools" post....)

Last edited:

Scroll

Smash Ace
Premium
I want to get into stage hacking.
I dont dont see any guides on the first page regarding stages.
What do I need to get started? Are there guides available? Is there anything critical I should know before starting?

Last edited:

DRGN

Technowizard
You can check out this thread by revel8n. He talks about the .DAT file structure and a little bit on how to read it. If you combine that with a different perspective on it, by GodFed, it will probably start making more sense (just to have it stated in more than one way). And here's a description of DATs from the Mario Kart Wiki, which are very similar to, if not the same as, those in Melee.

That'd be really cool if there were more people to really get into stage hacking though. There aren't many people who know it, and even fewer who still frequent these parts of the boards. As others have said, it's become kind of a lost art.

Last edited:

Sham Rock

Smash Apprentice
I could use some help to finally finish my last project and give all the pal players without the ability to play 20XX (many, many TV´s don´t support the NTSC video standard over here) a nice alternative. Or at least distract them form the emptiness inside from being unable to play it.

I need to change the flag-icons and the texts in the language options menu, anybody got any usefull information on that?

Last edited:

Achilles1515

Smash Master
I could use some help to finally finish my last project and give all the pal players without the ability to play 20XX (many, many TV´s don´t support the NTSC video standard over here) a nice alternative. Or at least distract them form the emptiness inside from being unable to play it.

I need to change the flag-icons and the texts in the language options menu, anybody got any usefull information on that?
Sorry, I've got nothing. The text might be in the SdMain file or whatever that one is with menu text that Jorgasms was editing.

Goxplex

Smash Apprentice
Is it possible to load adventure mode stages in multiplayer? I think some of these stages would be great competitive stages.

Some examples:

Last edited:
Top Bottom