• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important Melee, Hacks, and You -- New Hackers Start Here, in the OP!

Bluey

Smash Rookie
You mean on the character select screen where it shows what character you've selected (not in a match), right? Those are separate files from the character textures. You need to create your own images for those and insert those as well if you want the custom textures to show up when you hit X/Y to change the character's costume color. If you go here and click on "Miscellaneous" you can find the original images and what needs to be replaced (in "MnSlChr.rar").
Yes, I did mean that :) And thank you so much for the help :D

Bluey

Smash Rookie
You mean on the character select screen where it shows what character you've selected (not in a match), right? Those are separate files from the character textures. You need to create your own images for those and insert those as well if you want the custom textures to show up when you hit X/Y to change the character's costume color. If you go here and click on "Miscellaneous" you can find the original images and what needs to be replaced (in "MnSlChr.rar").
Yes, I did. :) Thanks for the help :D

Bluey

Smash Rookie
Though I kinda understand what to do, I think I need a step-by-step guide that I can understand so I can get my SSBM textures in-game.

DRGN

Technowizard
Replacing those images is something I've been wanting to do too, but I just haven't been able to get around to it yet so I don't know the full process. But there are guides here. The first two guides are on texture hacking. The second one is on the kind of images that are used for the alternate colors on the character select screen (the type of textures that end in "_8" or "_9"). Though the guide looks kind of confusing, and the first one might have to be read first in order to understand them both. Good luck!

Last edited:

the wizard howl

Smash Apprentice
when trying to convert a .wav to a .dsp with DSPADPCM I get
"ERROR: Cannot open (filename).wav for reading!"
filename.wav is in the same folder as all the audio tools, so I'm not sure what I could be doing wrong.
Any ideas or alternatives?

Additionally, does anyone have the captain america audio hack for falcon? Can't find it.
bump
10bumps

Alulim

Smash Apprentice
I was wondering if any work has been done pertaining to the AI's techs. After playing against level 1 AI for a while, I realized that after a grab (in this case, Sheik's down throw), the AI does a non-tech roll forward if I happen to work forward with my character, do getup attack if I don't move my character, roll back if I move my character too far up ahead and occasionally stand-tech / tech roll in one direction. I was wondering if it'd be possible to change this to always either tech rolling left, tech rolling right, or stand teching (in a random fashion, not influenced by what the AI's opponent does).

Thanks!

TerryJ

Smash Journeyman
NNID
1337-1337-1337
3DS FC
1337-1337-1337
Can anyone send me a link of a prehacked iso with texture hacks
I would also appreciate a prehacked iso as well, so I can understand how it works better, textures plz :p
I could upload mine for you, but it's 1.0. I'm actually in the process of remaking a whole ISO with 1.2 so if you'd prefer 1.2 you're gonna have to wait a bit.

Until now I've been using 1.0 for the small off chance that GimpyFish62 might play Melee on my Wii so he can Flame Cancel. If I'm able, I'll just import Bowser's 1.0 character file into 1.2 if it'll work.

Last edited:

Shibbypod

BIM
Slippi.gg
SHIB#55
Question, I have the iso file already burnt onto a disc. Can I rip it onto my computer? I am trying to do this myself but I am running into some problems right away because I am using a mac.. I have windows 7 installed but lets just say it doesn't work quite seamlessly on this apple computer

Last edited:

Shibbypod

BIM
Slippi.gg
SHIB#55
So I have the 7zip program and have used it to open a few things already, but the ssmex.exe file crashes immediately every time I try to open it, so I haven't been able to extract the dsp files from the ssm files, or even open the ssm since I can only view them in the gc tool. Anyone know a way to help?

EDIT: I should say that this is in the interest of keeping my local smash community alive.

Last edited:

Wumbology

Smash Rookie
hate to be the guy making requests on this thread but the other audio hack threads are very dead/megaupload limits the amount of hacks im able to have. anyone have an audio hack library theyd be able to link? so many great hacks have been "lost" due to megaupload going down. id greatly appreciate any help and feel free to pm me

Last edited:

Tcll

Smash Lord
NNID
Tcll5850
So I have the 7zip program and have used it to open a few things already, but the ssmex.exe file crashes immediately every time I try to open it, so I haven't been able to extract the dsp files from the ssm files, or even open the ssm since I can only view them in the gc tool. Anyone know a way to help?

EDIT: I should say that this is in the interest of keeping my local smash community alive.
ssmex is a command-line api
drag a ssm file over it, or set up windows to open ssm files with ssmex.

pidgezero_one

((((((((((( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) gotta go fast!
NNID
pidgezero_one
3DS FC
3222-5601-4071
How difficult would it be to make the buttons, text, and menu borders of the initial main menu (when choosing between "1-P Mode", "VS Mode", "Trophies", etc.) transparent, or removed? So all you would see is the background elements.
Did anyone address this? I need to do pretty much the exact same thing... :(

DRGN

Technowizard
Not that I know of. I'm still interested in doing it too, it's just not at the forefront of my things to do atm. Perhaps if we can't get some help on it we can collaborate ourselves. First step would be in finding the locations where all of the images and text (if any) are stored. I'm pretty new at finding such file/offset locations though.

mnp

Smash Rookie
* I am poor at English.
Excite translation is used.

How do you do?

Can "Non-Indexed Textures Hack" be performed but from now on?
Eyes are tried on some guides, while looking at through and an animation, but TCS creation is troubled, without going well.

Even if "TCS_Creator" is not obtained any longer and there is not, is it OK?
Supposing it has distributed at somewhere else, I am glad if I can ask him to teach URL.

Although myself and other reports want to go through eyes little by little, since English can seldom be read, there is an oversight of a fine portion.
Please lend your power.

WindozeNT

Smash Ace
NNID
WindozeNT
3DS FC
1865-1050-3752
How can I view Melee player models? Also, what file do I look at to disable Mr. Game & Watch's flattening code (in Brawl, this was in a REL file)?

Last edited:

Tcll

Smash Lord
NNID
Tcll5850
How can I view Melee player models? Also, what file do I look at to disable Mr. Game & Watch's flattening code (in Brawl, this was in a REL file)?
if you just want to view them, I can send you my current build of UMC dev4.5
(no promises it'll import EVERY player model properly w/o graphical issues or distortions)

it's unreleased as you can't export what you can import.

Last edited:

WindozeNT

Smash Ace
NNID
WindozeNT
3DS FC
1865-1050-3752
if you just want to view them, I can send you my current build of UMC dev4.5
(no promises it'll import EVERY player model properly w/o graphical issues or distortions)

it's unreleased as you can't export what you can import.
Yeah, that's all I plan on doing. I'm opening Mr. Game & Watch's model, who is one of few characters my graphics card renders to a passable quality. Can it also show animations?
It's a RADEON X300; some characters render entirely white (Samus, Mewtwo) or extremely bright (Falco/Fox, Bowser); Nana is rendered without a face (just a transparent hole). The card has issues with G&W's shadow and makes his torso a long cylinder when charging smash attacks. Stages like Onett and Brinstar downright freeze the entire game and if the capsule item appears, it shows entirely black and I get a max of 3FPS until it's offscreen or destroyed. The Game & Watch in Flat Zone is rendered extremely bright (like some of the characters) and the card can't handle more than 2 Ice Climbers. The results screen gives a performance hit when more than 2 characters are present. It won't even try to run Brawl so I'm stuck on Melee and 64. Upgrading isn't an option because my dinoware can't handle the newer cards. I'm using Dolphin's OpenGL backend because nothing will even start when using the DirectX backend (shader errors).

First row: Nana with part of her face missing, Nana with face rendered correctly, Mr. Game & Watch charging a Vermin, causing his body to temporarily become a long cylinder
Second row: Nana with a part of her face missing (2), Very bright G&W in Flat Zone
Third row: some black rectangles showing above G&W's head in the results screen with bright Falco, a bright Yoshi and G&W's shadow drawn incorrectly, G&W's body becoming long and narrow while taunting during respawn invincibility
Fourth row: Very bright Peach (and G&W about to get a 9), white Samus, white G&W trophy
Fifth row: White Ice Climbers trophy

Last edited:

Tcll

Smash Lord
NNID
Tcll5850
dev3+ can only do models... sorry
I'm still rebuilding it to do animation.

here's the download for dev4.5 (unfinished update):
http://www.4shared.com/zip/WmScEbhqba/UMC30ad45u.html?
@anyone who doesn't know 4Shared well: DO NOT use the 4 Priority Downloader.
you're much better off creating an account even if you'll never use it. ;)

also, don't be surprized if you get any errors.
again, it's not finished and can barely do anything...

EDIT:
stay updated here:
http://tcll5850.proboards.com/thread/143/official-universal-converter-development-thread
old updates thread:
http://smashboards.com/threads/universal-model-converter-official-development-thread.334292/page-7

Last edited:

Redd

thataintfalco.com
BRoomer
Did a lot of searching, didn't find much specifically... how do I go about changing the CSP files? (aka the Player slot portrait) I'm making a custom ISO but it came with a bunch of mismatched ones and I was wondering what file type they're located in/what program I need to change them. Thanks!

EDIT: Fail. Think I just found it. If they're located in the dat/.usd, would they just change when I replace them? I think I answered my own question... lol.

Last edited:

Achilles1515

Smash Master
Did a lot of searching, didn't find much specifically... how do I go about changing the CSP files? (aka the Player slot portrait) I'm making a custom ISO but it came with a bunch of mismatched ones and I was wondering what file type they're located in/what program I need to change them. Thanks!

EDIT: Fail. Think I just found it. If they're located in the dat/.usd, would they just change when I replace them? I think I answered my own question... lol.
Redd, see that video that Lance posted above. The CSPs are located in the MnSlChr.usd file. Also, follow the link that DRGN posted above to download a pack by Steelia that gives the offsets within the MnSlChr.usd file for each different CSP portrait. It may seem a little involved at first but once you get one done, you realize it's not that bad and in fact kind of fun. I made a bunch of these for my hacked ISO that I put together a few years back (PM me about this if you want). I would like to do more at some point because I feel like I have much better tricks for getting good ingame screenshots now. And my photoshop skills are much better :)

Last edited:

Goatlink

Smash Apprentice
Redd, see that video that Lance posted above. The CSPs are located in the MnSlChr.usd file. Also, follow the link that DRGN posted above to download a pack by Steelia that gives the offsets within the MnSlChr.usd file for each different CSP portrait. It may seem a little involved at first but once you get one done, you realize it's not that bad and in fact kind of fun. I made a bunch of these for my hacked ISO that I put together a few years back (PM me about this if you want). I would like to do more at some point because I feel like I have much better tricks for getting good ingame screenshots now. And my photoshop skills are much better :)
can you post the MnSlChr.usd from your hacked iso? I dont like making my own CSPs

Redd

thataintfalco.com
BRoomer
Thanks, man! Time to sit down after all these years and really learn how to pump this stuff out. Can't wait.

Achilles1515

Smash Master
Yeah, and giving him attacks that have hitboxes.
My gut tells me that only someone like Magus or Strong Bad would *possibly* know how to do this. But I don't even know if it is possible (the answer to your question is no).

It would be sweet if the wireframes were given good movesets.

Last edited:

Goatlink

Smash Apprentice
Yeah, and giving him attacks that have hitboxes.
if you load wireframes with the debug menu, they are fully usable and have moves with hitboxes. The only problem is they have no b moves and no win screen animation (along with giga bowser) so if you win with them, the game freezes. I assume you could change the move hitbox attributes in the character file, just like with the other characters. What I have wanted to know is if there is a way to give giga bowser and wireframes win screen animations so the game dosnt freeze when you win.

just thinking out loud here- if we could figure out how to give wireframes B moves and a win screen animation (and even sandbad lol) we could have relatively malleable characters to work with and possibly even balance into the roster, sort of like project m.

Last edited:

Achilles1515

Smash Master
What I have wanted to know is if there is a way to give giga bowser and wireframes win screen animations so the game dosnt freeze when you win.
another workaround would be adding in code to say if playing with any of those extra characters --> always skip results screen.

Which can be done. I might do this later today.

And I'm all for someone making the wireframes legitimate characters, if it is possible to give them specials.

Top Bottom