• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important Melee, Hacks, and You -- New Hackers Start Here, in the OP!

billbaggins

Smash Rookie
Nice Guide!

This inspired me to start making a custom melee ISO, if I feel motivated enough. So far, I've added 1 sound effect: Scorpion saying, "GET OVER HERE!" for Samus's Grapple beam sound effect. Going to test it later today to see if i'm doing things right.

GodFed

Smash Apprentice
@Steelia:
I love the Mewtwo. Especially those retro 8-bit sound effects
Can't wait to see what the *** version would be -- that ending victory cry was epic.

For the love of god, someone change "READY? Go!" to "3! 2! 1! Quit life!"
Well, I thought that this was an absolutely brilliant idea, so I started to do it. I made a respectable sounding version, using sound clips from HMW's Genesis Crew videos. However, I have had some stumbling blocks... The Ready, Go! sound clip is actually two different clips. The "Ready" part is something like .812 seconds long, and the "GO" part is about .518 seconds long. Which means that I shortened the "3, 2, 1" part. The "quitlife" was fine.

I'll try to perfect it and upload it with a bunch of other stuff this Friday ( = tomorrow?)

billbaggins

Smash Rookie
Hey, thought I'd share something that made audio hacking a little bit easier for me. Made a .bat file for Windows XP that speeds up the conversion process of DSP -> WAV. Nothing Big but helps a lot:

Code:
@ECHO Off
FOR %%G IN (*.dsp) DO dspadpcm -d %%G
@PAUSE
You have to put it in the same folder as dspadpcm and the DSP files for it to work. It automatically creates WAV files and the txt files with the same names as the DSP ones.

works in XP, i'm entirely new to bat files so dunno how compatible with other Windows OS it is.

Here's the bat file

billbaggins

Smash Rookie
Super SSM extract

sorry for double posting but thought I'd share this. Made a bunch more .bat's to help extract dsp and wav files and eventually just made one .bat to automate it all.

Put it along with ssmex, dspadpcm and its dll files, and all of the .ssm files you want to use in the same directory as SuperSSMext.bat.

It extracts the DSPs from the SSMs and converts them all in one go. It organizes WAV and DSP files into neat folders too based on the SSM it was from.

UPDATE:
Fixed the problem with folders that start with the same name (Kirby->Kirbytm, End->Ending) and also creates text files in a separate folder of the output from SSMEX to refer to for when you start hexing

Get it HERE

Here's the code in case the download doesn't work:

Code:
@Echo off

REM VERSION 1.1, fixes similar directory names and adds text files of output from ssmex to refer to 

while hex editing

echo This batch file should help automate most of the process of 
echo extracting, converting, and organizing 
echo SSM, DSP, and WAV files for Melee
echo ---
echo V1.1 With fix for similar directories
echo and DSP position text files
echo ---
echo bat file by Mike Lyons, aka billbaggins
echo credit to Godfed for an awesome guide
echo ---
echo You need to put this .bat file along with ssmex.exe, 
echo dspadpcm.exe and all of its necessary files,
echo and all of the ssm files you want to use
echo ---
Pause

REM create a folder for the SSM, DSP, WAV, and TXT files
mkdir ssm
mkdir dsp
mkdir wav
mkdir txt

REM extract all of the DSP files from the SSM files and print output to text for later Hexing use
FOR %%A IN (*.ssm) DO ssmex %%A > txt\%%A.txt

REM make DIRs for all of the DSP and WAV files to go in named after the corresponding ssm they came 

from
FOR %%B IN (*.ssm) DO mkdir dsp\%%~nB
FOR %%B IN (*.ssm) DO mkdir wav\%%~nB

REM done with ssm files so now move them to SSM directory
FOR %%C IN (*.ssm) DO MOVE %%C ssm

REM convert dsp to wav putting new wav files in the wav folder
FOR %%D IN (*.dsp) DO dspadpcm -d %%D wav\%%~nD.wav

REM get rid of the annoying txt files that dspadpcm makes
FOR %%E IN (*.dsp) DO DEL %%~nE.txt

echo Organizing...

REM move the dsp files to the dsp folder
FOR %%E IN (*.dsp) DO move %%E dsp\%%E

REM organize wav files by ssm
FOR /F %%F in ('DIR wav\ /B /A:D /O:-N') DO FOR %%G IN (wav\%%F*.wav) DO move %%G wav\%%F

REM organize dsp files by ssm
FOR /F %%H in ('DIR dsp\ /B /A:D /O:-N') DO FOR %%I IN (dsp\%%H*.dsp) DO move %%I dsp\%%H

echo Done!

PAUSE

Steelia

Smash Champion
@_@

Bloody 'ell, billbaggins! That's one hey of a program. I'll have to try it out myself; I used the one in the post before that, and that worked like a charm. This should be interesting.

Really appreciate you making all these little .BAT files, as I'm currently cravin' over editing voice files myself. :p

billbaggins

Smash Rookie
Thanks. glad to see they're useful. :)

Just noticed a problem though. For SSMs that start with the same name as another (Kirbytm > Kirby, Ending > End) the WAV and DSP files get put into the folder with the shorter name. Looking for a way to fix it for all files like this.

Tichinde925

Smash Legend
Nice Guide!

This inspired me to start making a custom melee ISO, if I feel motivated enough. So far, I've added 1 sound effect: Scorpion saying, "GET OVER HERE!" for Samus's Grapple beam sound effect. Going to test it later today to see if i'm doing things right.
Dont just do it for Samus alone! Link and Young Link feel left out!

Though it will be funny grappling recovering...telling the stage to "GET OVER HERE!" so I can recover safely! As if the stage would be forced to move to you...

Anth0ny

Smash Master
@Steelia:
I love the Mewtwo. Especially those retro 8-bit sound effects
Can't wait to see what the *** version would be -- that ending victory cry was epic.

Well, I thought that this was an absolutely brilliant idea, so I started to do it. I made a respectable sounding version, using sound clips from HMW's Genesis Crew videos. However, I have had some stumbling blocks... The Ready, Go! sound clip is actually two different clips. The "Ready" part is something like .812 seconds long, and the "GO" part is about .518 seconds long. Which means that I shortened the "3, 2, 1" part. The "quitlife" was fine.

I'll try to perfect it and upload it with a bunch of other stuff this Friday ( = tomorrow?)
I love you :laugh:

billbaggins

Smash Rookie
i'm hoping to eventually do a little something for each character eventually. It'd be cool to have a Melee disc full of sound swaps like that to bring to tournaments.

Not that it would be legit to use in actual matches but for showing off and messing around in friendlies.

Also hoping to be able to put custom music in. my friend _Ryzol suggested using "Welcome to the Jungle" by Guns and Roses as the background music for Jungle Japes.

GodFed

Smash Apprentice
I love you :laugh:
That's why I do it, man. lol

@billbaggins.
Excellent work. I'd like to see what you can do with the audio.
Speaking of which, I'm interested in creating a program for automating audio hacks (SSM specifically). I need input from some of you on how you would want something like this to work.
I'm thinking that it should take edited WAVs and automatically run dspadpcm.exe, and then insert them into the SSM, with the parameters being [SSM to edit] and [## of audio file]

Any thoughts?
Any thoughts on the tpl_insert.exe? It seems that audio hacks are more interesting right now than texture hacks, but the program's there nonetheless

Steelia

Smash Champion
That's why I do it, man. lol

@billbaggins.
Excellent work. I'd like to see what you can do with the audio.
Speaking of which, I'm interested in creating a program for automating audio hacks (SSM specifically). I need input from some of you on how you would want something like this to work.
I'm thinking that it should take edited WAVs and automatically run dspadpcm.exe, and then insert them into the SSM, with the parameters being [SSM to edit] and [## of audio file]

Any thoughts?
Any thoughts on the tpl_insert.exe? It seems that audio hacks are more interesting right now than texture hacks, but the program's there nonetheless
Heh heh, the main reason I'm more interested in the audio hacks is because... well... being an ex-Brawl hacker, I never had the opportunity to cross into that territory. There was music, sure, but editing voices and sound effects? Just can't beat that.
That, and I've made a large handful of Melee texture hacks as it is; times those with my Brawl ones, and you can bet I get demotivated of texturing once in a while. :p

As for an automatic audio program... I could see it coupled with billbaggins; all the files are in separate folders, but once you finish editing the WAV files, they're automatically reconverted to DSP format (perhaps in a different folder, or even saving over the originals), then put into the SSM one way or another. I'm far from a professional in that kind of thing, so I'll just leave my two cents on it here.
All I know is, if there's one way to make the whole conversion process easier, I'm all for it, even if it means simple automatic DSP-to-WAV-to-DSP programs.

As for the tpl_insert, can't say too much on it as I haven't used it often (as audio hacks were introduced around the same time).

GigaBowserXyZ

Smash Journeyman
sry if this is a dumb question but do these hacks come with all characters and stages unlocked? i lost my memory cards. D:

Xelyst

-_-
how would i go about finding this

"-Wii/GC SDK (specifically dspadpcm.exe and dsptool.dll...maybe soundfile.dll, too, perhaps)"

billbaggins

Smash Rookie
how would i go about finding this

"-Wii/GC SDK (specifically dspadpcm.exe and dsptool.dll...maybe soundfile.dll, too, perhaps)"
You just have to bust out some serious internet scouring skills. This was probably the hardest thing to find. Um, best I can recommend is keep trying google. I had some success in finding a torrent for it.

Hope I didn't violate the TOS or anything just now :/

Xelyst

-_-
if anyone could pm me then that would great i have all the other material

tubes

Smash Ace
The only background music change we need is Dreamland 64 to a mixed with rap version. Everything else I can see myself getting tired of after about 30 secconds.

Eugenio

Smash Lord
The only background music change we need is Dreamland 64 to a mixed with rap version. Everything else I can see myself getting tired of after about 30 secconds.
not if you you replace it with hardcore music from other fighting games like street fighter and guilty gear.

ScoobyCafe

Smash Journeyman
Saw the GB Mewtwo audio hack on Youtube not too long ago. Loved it.

I have a little request to whoever is making this possible: Classic Street Fighter II Turbo Ryu sound edit for Mario and Turbo Ken sound edit for Luigi (and maybe Akuma sound edit for Dr. Mario, coupled with 天 on his back as a texture <3).

Why? Mario and Luigi are to SSBM what Ryu and Ken are to Street Fighter. It'd just be interesting to see/hear Mario yell "hadoken" whenever he shoots a fireball. Here's a vid of someone doing such a thing for SFIV

EDIT: And SFII Ryu theme for Final Destination BGM.

billbaggins

Smash Rookie
Saw the GB Mewtwo audio hack on Youtube not too long ago. Loved it.

I have a little request to whoever is making this possible: Classic Street Fighter II Turbo Ryu sound edit for Mario and Turbo Ken sound edit for Luigi (and maybe Akuma sound edit for Dr. Mario, coupled with 天 on his back as a texture <3).

Why? Mario and Luigi are to SSBM what Ryu and Ken are to Street Fighter. It'd just be interesting to see/hear Mario yell "hadoken" whenever he shoots a fireball. Here's a vid of someone doing such a thing for SFIV

EDIT: And SFII Ryu theme for Final Destination BGM.
Darn, someone else had my idea in mind. Had it ready and everything

This is what Mario's up b is gonna be

Captain Falcon will still be a surprise, hopefully no one will think of it.

As for the Hadoken, it's too long to fit in the "Ptoo" sound for mario's fireballs, :( tried it last Saturday

Had this in mind already: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kY7xg92aNrY

ScoobyCafe

Smash Journeyman
Darn, someone else had my idea in mind. Had it ready and everything.

This is what Mario's up b is gonna be
Great minds, sir. Great minds.

Are you going to sound edit his whole moveset or just the specials?

Captain Falcon will still be a surprise, hopefully no one will think of it.

As for the Hadoken, it's too long to fit in the "Ptoo" sound for mario's fireballs, :( tried it last Saturday.
Lame. Hopefully Tatsumaki-Senpū kyaku can work for his down.

Interested to see what you have in store for Falcon.

billbaggins

Smash Rookie
Lame. Hopefully Tatsumaki-Senpū kyaku can work for his down.

Interested to see what you have in store for Falcon.
if you mean down b, then unfortunately nope :( Tried that too, I think there's two .dsp's for that move. Basically it repeats the first for each hit and plays the 2nd one for the last one, in other words, it's not just a single long sound file.

billbaggins

Smash Rookie
Just fixed the SSM->WAV bat file converter. Now it sorts everything correctly that has similar names (kirby->kirbytm). Fixed it by looping through the directories in reverse order.

It also creates a txt folder which has the output from ssmex so you can use that to find the offsets for each DSP when you're hexing something back in.

link is the same as before: here

Original Post: Here

luigiman1928

Smash Ace
Hey i tried to do some Mewtwo Stuffz and i tried to insert the Tpls into the DAT with GodFed's Tpl_insert and it says: Cant read Offsets.txt for read. I put the Placements.txt inside of .S's rips into the correct folder and renamed it and ti still doesnt work.
1. How do i insert the Tga's into a tcs? Is it auto? Please help, I wanna watch the new Phineas and Ferb after im done. N00B is me.:laugh:

XACE-K

Smash Master
I'm having trouble with getting textures in Melee so I need a question asked.

I followed the guide (in the second post) and when I get to the final step, instead of asking me what MIos to run, my Wii either resets or random green lights pop up on my tv. Does anyone know why?

GodFed

Smash Apprentice
@luigiman - read the README included with tpl_insert. It tells you that the program needs a file called offsets.txt, not the plcements.txt one.. This is basically the placements data in a more structured format so that I don't have to hard-code the values into the program and make it any larger.
You can make your own. The format is like this.
01 - 000032c0
02 - 000046c0
49 - 0000ffc0

etc.
The first two digits are the numbers of the folder where the texture is. The rest of the numbers are the starting point of the data in each file. In total, each line should have exactly 13 characters, including spaces, before the next line. I hopefully have example offsets files included in the rar.

Uh, if the whole "I don't have that offsets file" gets really annoying for some of you, I'm hard coding the values into the program. So if you type in "PlCaNr.dat" and "12", it will automatically know the offset to go to without any "offsets" file. I just made it read from the file so that I didn't have to do the hard work of hard-coding the values....but it'll be a while, since I'm working on audio hacks right now..

@XACE-K
dunno what's up. I don't have a wii, and so I also don't have homebrew/MIos, so ...PM MuraRengan perhaps.

MuraRengan

Banned via Warnings
I'm having trouble with getting textures in Melee so I need a question asked.

I followed the guide (in the second post) and when I get to the final step, instead of asking me what MIos to run, my Wii either resets or random green lights pop up on my tv. Does anyone know why?
There are 3 things i can think of:

1. Try installing the MIOS patcher and cIOS again, then try loading the game.

2. Make sure the disc you're burning to is DVD-R. I haven't tried any other discs so I don't know which will work.

3. There may be errors when burning the disc. Have you been seeing any alert messages when burning with IMGBurn? Please describe any you've come across.

Steelia

Smash Champion
Just fixed the SSM->WAV bat file converter. Now it sorts everything correctly that has similar names (kirby->kirbytm). Fixed it by looping through the directories in reverse order.

It also creates a txt folder which has the output from ssmex so you can use that to find the offsets for each DSP when you're hexing something back in.

link is the same as before: here

Original Post: Here
Awesome stuff, billbaggins, I'll be sure to give that a quick test run when I've got the chance. :chuckle:

What're the possibilities of having it so that you can reverse the process? Or rather, the making of a separate .BAT file that allows you to reconvert WAV -> DSP? I could care less for an automatic DSP-SSM hexer, so long as an SSM - DSP - WAV - DSP converter is possible, as I don't find hexing very troubling at all (especially with the new output file that shows the locations to hex).

luigiman1928

Smash Ace
Godfed i did that. Renamed it , cut out non placement things and that junk and no go. >.< MewTwo Makes me angry.
EDIT FACE: What do the ??'s next to the Hex Numbers mean?

billbaggins

Smash Rookie
Awesome stuff, billbaggins, I'll be sure to give that a quick test run when I've got the chance. :chuckle:

What're the possibilities of having it so that you can reverse the process? Or rather, the making of a separate .BAT file that allows you to reconvert WAV -> DSP? I could care less for an automatic DSP-SSM hexer, so long as an SSM - DSP - WAV - DSP converter is possible, as I don't find hexing very troubling at all (especially with the new output file that shows the locations to hex).
Going the other way won't be a problem and won't take long at all. I can't do it tonight though because I gotta get ready for class. Might get a chance to work on it tomorrow though.

GodFed

Smash Apprentice
Godfed i did that. Renamed it , cut out non placement things and that junk and no go. >.< MewTwo Makes me angry.
EDIT FACE: What do the ??'s next to the Hex Numbers mean?
Forget the ??s or the ***s or the +s. Take them all out when you make an "offsets" file. EVERY LINE HAS JUST 13 CHARACTERS. That's real important. Check the sample ones I included with the tpl_insert program.
When you edit the TGA, save over the original. So if it's originally txt_0035_14, you edit it and save it under that same name.
Run cmd.exe, type "tpl_insert PlMtNr.dat 01 -t" if you edited the 01TailCurve and you want to run TexConv, too (that's the -t part). The program reads from the offsets file, looks for the "01" and then reads the 8 digits after the dash mark.

I checked the readme I included...the EXAMPLE portion of it isn't really complete. To run TexConv, you need the "-t" parameter after the number. Like the 01TailCurve example above.

billbaggins

Smash Rookie
Q&D bat file for WAV > DSP

Made a quick bat file for going from WAV to DSP. Useful if you're trying to convert a lot at once.

Get it Here

Doesn't do any fancy organization yet. All it does as of now is create DSP files for all WAV files in the same directory as the bat file.

Might try to combine it with the other bat file and add a menu.

Also, dspadpcm makes a text file for each conversion. I don't think those particular ones are needed anywhere in the guide so the bat file deletes them, but if you want them then remove the line of code that does that.

Code:
echo off

REM quick and dirty bat file for big conversions of wav to dsp
FOR %%D IN (*.wav) DO (
	dspadpcm -e %%D %%~nD.dsp
REM Delete this next line if you want to keep the annoying text files for each wav > dsp conversion
	del %%~nD.txt
)

Top Bottom