• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Melee Gecko Codes + Guide and Discussion

DireDrop

Smash Journeyman
I get stuck on the ISO236 part of this. TV reads:

Could not open file: sd:/IOS36-64-v3351.wad
Could not open file: sd:/IOS36-64-v3351.wad.out.wad
Error reading IOS into memory
IOS236 Install failed. Press any button the exit...

I've been doing a lot of digging around trying to understand these mods better. I've actually managed to get CFG USB Loader working and playing GC games from a USB drive without any problems, but I still can't load cheats (which was the whole point of hacking in the first place). I didn't think CFG USB Loader could work without IOS236 being installed. I'm just lost. can anyone help me out?

DireDrop

Smash Journeyman

I've been doing a lot of digging around trying to understand these mods better. I've actually managed to get CFG USB Loader working and playing GC games from a USB drive without any problems, but I still can't load cheats (which was the whole point of hacking in the first place). I didn't think CFG USB Loader could work without IOS236 being installed. I'm just lost. can anyone help me out?
Edit: Oops, sorry about double post.

Last edited:

Achilles1515

Smash Master

Use this guide for installing IOS 236. Even if you think you already have this installed, do it again. I think the installer that InternetExplorer had bundled was not working correctly or something.
http://gwht.wikidot.com/ios236

Last edited:

WindozeNT

Smash Ace
NNID
WindozeNT
3DS FC
1865-1050-3752
I have version 1.01. Any codes that disable the invincibility gained after getting off the revival platform, causing the top blast line to either regular KO or screen KO instead of star KOing (these are both for when I'm in Super Sudden Death mode), or one that keeps Nana from dematerializing and respawing when Popo gets KO'd?
What about this?

DireDrop

Smash Journeyman
Use this guide for installing IOS 236. Even if you think you already have this installed, do it again. I think the installer that InternetExplorer had bundled was not working correctly or something.
http://gwht.wikidot.com/ios236
That worked! However, the MIOS patcher still doesn't work. I have:

install patched MIOSv4
Patch for Homebrew: yes
set revision to 65535: no

getting MIOSv4...
<Download MIOS from NUS>

(a bunch of loading blah blah blah)

Press A to start the install...
Installing...
ES_AddTitleStart returned: -2011
You need to use an IOS with trucha bug.
Up to System menu 4.2, you can get one with Trucha bug restorer.
MIOS installation failed...

Is the MIOS patcher also out of date/bugged?

Achilles1515

Smash Master
What about this?
Halo invincibility can be turned off. At the bottom of this post are AR codes (not necessarily gecko compatible) for making top KO always star or hit off screen - but they are for 1.02. It doesn't look like there are ones for 1.01 at the moment. And what about a code that just let you play as Solo Popo always?

Last edited:

DireDrop

Smash Journeyman
don't worry about the MIOS patcher
I tried loading through Gecko OS Mod with Hook type IV and Ocarina turned on. It says that it finds the codes and applies them, but none of them are actually working, and the game freezes up when I try playing classic mode. It does actually get into the game though, which is a start.

WindozeNT

Smash Ace
NNID
WindozeNT
3DS FC
1865-1050-3752
Halo invincibility can be turned off. At the bottom of this post are AR codes (not necessarily gecko compatible) for making top KO always star or hit off screen - but they are for 1.02. It doesn't look like there are ones for 1.01 at the moment. And what about a code that just let you play as Solo Popo always?
There's Screen KO codes for 1.01 (AX34-B9HW-2QQ7U, WKTJ-ND35-B9GDC) and the kind doesn't matter since I use Dolphin to run Melee. I don't see anything on turning halo invincibility off though. Also, I wanted to have both ICs present in the match. They're CPUs and when I get rid of Popo, I want to be able to do the same to Nana without having her disappear before I can hit her. It's annoying when she disappears just before I'm able to act.

TheRogueTwinkie

Smash Rookie
I don't know if this interests anyone but I was tearing my hair out all day yesterday trying to get these codes to work on a burned melee disc. My actual disc is too scratched up to be used for more than a couple minutes anymore. Either way, the codes work fine if you use NeoGamma to load up the disc.

Since you won't need Gecko OS you simply save the gct file you make into SD:/codes

Just go to options and open up Ocarina/Wiird.

Then change the GC Hoot Type to VI and GC Ocarina: to Yes

And just boot the disc as normal. I'm not sure if this is common knowledge but I searched frantically for this yesterday and didn't get it until about 2 in the morning. I hope this saves other people from going through something similar.

Little Nemo

The Dream Master
NNID
LockableFaceman
I looked through half the thread and then got annoyed so I'll just ask without checking.

Anyone know why this is happening? When I try to play Melee, codes or not, after I run the game in Gecko OS Mod the screen just goes black.

Achilles1515

Smash Master
I looked through half the thread and then got annoyed so I'll just ask without checking.

Anyone know why this is happening? When I try to play Melee, codes or not, after I run the game in Gecko OS Mod the screen just goes black.
I would try reinstalling IOS 236 using this guide. Delete your old IOS 236 app and download the one from that thread.

Last edited:

WindozeNT

Smash Ace
NNID
WindozeNT
3DS FC
1865-1050-3752
Actually try this:

Disable P2 Halo Invincibility (1.01)
48000000 804532E0
DE000000 80008180
140019EC 00000000
E2000001 80008000
Not working. The code doesn't seem to have any effects. P2 ignores my hitboxes when getting off the platform, showing the usual green flash where it would've collided instead.

WindozeNT

Smash Ace
NNID
WindozeNT
3DS FC
1865-1050-3752
Are you playing on a console?
no, in Dolphin (version 3.0). The only consoles I have are a NES and a PS2. All of my SSBs run emulated, 64 in Project64 and Melee/Brawl in Dolphin.

Last edited:

Obskore

Smash Ace
is the code for the save state feature stored separately so i can copy it without getting the other functions of the entire .dol hack?
i know it's the wrong thread but i came here thinking i could find it in this one since it's a compilation of the codes for the 20XX hack
thanks

standardtoaster

Tubacabra
You're still limited to like 256 lines of codes using Gecko OS, right? I've got a slight idea how to remove that from looking at the way gameconfig for brawl is done

Last edited:

Little Nemo

The Dream Master
NNID
LockableFaceman
I would try reinstalling IOS 236 using this guide. Delete your old IOS 236 app and download the one from that thread.
One step closer. It now loads to a screen that says "GameCube Backup Loader v1.1" ? I don't understand since I want to load from a disc. It even read my disc for this.
I am so confused. it's probably because I didn't do step 3 but I assumed I didn't need to. (Why ask for help when I didn't even do everything is probably what you're asking yourself.)

P 1

Smash Cadet
One step closer. It now loads to a screen that says "GameCube Backup Loader v1.1" ? I don't understand since I want to load from a disc. It even read my disc for this.
I am so confused. it's probably because I didn't do step 3 but I assumed I didn't need to. (Why ask for help when I didn't even do everything is probably what you're asking yourself.)
i remember there being a problem loading gecko codes when booting the game through the disc drive. try using an SD card.

_yuna

Smash Apprentice
So I am a little bit puzzled on how to boot the game with the codes using DIOS MIOS. I've put the codes both in the SD:/Codes folder I already have for P:M, and I have also placed it in the Gecko OS Mod codes folder - just for safety, doubt it matters. In DIOS MIOS I have the codes marked to yes - but still when I boot the game it doesn't load the codes. However, the game boots fine with no problems at all.

Edit;

Nevermind my post. I got it to work by updating CFG Usb Loader and loading Melee through that. Sorry for taking up unessecary space.

Last edited:

Spabble

Smash Rookie
Is it be possible to set a code that makes you flash a color while you're in hit stun? I'd think it would be fairly simple to just modify the "turn white during shield stun" code to instead refer to hit stun, but I don't know how to. Could anyone help me with this? I feel like it would be very helpful during practice.

In addition, I feel like maybe flashing a color whenever you're able to act (e.g., whenever you're not throwing an attack or air dodging or falling helpless) would be similarly useful.

Last edited:

Achilles1515

Smash Master
Is it be possible to set a code that makes you flash a color while you're in hit stun? I'd think it would be fairly simple to just modify the "turn white during shield stun" code to instead refer to hit stun, but I don't know how to. Could anyone help me with this? I feel like it would be very helpful during practice.

In addition, I feel like maybe flashing a color whenever you're able to act (e.g., whenever you're not throwing an attack or air dodging or falling helpless) would be similarly useful.
I'll most likely eventually do colors for hitlag and hitstun. Not sure about one where you're able to act though. I'm not sure if theres a memory address that corresponds to that.

Spabble

Smash Rookie
I'll most likely eventually do colors for hitlag and hitstun.
Awesome! I would love to have this. I would even be fine with a buggy code, if that would make it easier for you to create the code. I just really want to be able to see hit stun.

standardtoaster

Tubacabra
Achilles, do you know why the color overlay used in the set P2 action spam is not consistently yellow like in the OP? It flashes black to white for me but I think I've seen it go yellow like once. I know IE's white flash on L cancel had that issue where it would get yellow or red on something like FoD in training.

Achilles1515

Smash Master
Achilles, do you know why the color overlay used in the set P2 action spam is not consistently yellow like in the OP? It flashes black to white for me but I think I've seen it go yellow like once. I know IE's white flash on L cancel had that issue where it would get yellow or red on something like FoD in training.
Yeah. Because what it is doing is turning color tint for that character on - but that's it. It doesn't actually set colors to values.

When a move or action causes a color change on a character, a number of values are set in the memory. Things like

red value
green value
blue value
alpha value
and then blink rates for all those values.

So when a character does a [charged] smash attack for example, they turn that yellow color. And the color values to produce that yellow tint are not removed from the memory addresses mentioned above until another move is executed that causes a different color change. And because of so, simply turning on color tint for that character (which is the only thing my code does) will cause it to use the color values that are already in memory since I am not setting them to a specific value.

I did this on purpose for my code because I didn't want to waste lines writing a specific color for them to change to, when it doesn't actually matter and you should be able to notice any change in color that happens to them.

Last edited:

NTA

Smash Lord
Is there anything I can do about using AR codes with geecko?

I've been trying to use this code for activating 6 players in the debug menu and had no luck since the game wouldn't start when i used it:
IK DEBUG FLAG
Code:
3PDT-9QAN-WQD7B

FGHB-VGKG-4UYHN

M4EJ-D9FZ-N0QF2

CA7W-33QH-2YBTN

39ZG-R2N0-GVYKH

TVRB-QAFG-CWAYJ

R5GP-ZKPM-ET70Q

DQYF-ZMBD-TEG68

RAU2-V3QR-Z6KRH

W07K-3VC8-TG4BJ

EQGT-8UBP-GJVU1

PCHW-7BZ5-W796P

4J70-ZWKW-8A3EC

HYYW-U36B-12YE5

AN6F-FH6P-KYCF4

YM68-1NCZ-CU2UN

3J66-2JWB-7G8ZE

058T-3Q62-YJCZX

9XK9-ZFJN-85BHK

RGM2-69TH-KJ80U

Q6CZ-H78U-MR8J1

Q5FP-96GN-BHFT1

CGCU-PRR4-21P0U

63VU-8WB2-ZFUG9

EURR-UXUJ-1VKYA

RJPX-EXCD-F7U7Y

Other than that, i also tried using some have all character/stages ar codes right before i came across the 20xx thread and temporarily didn't have a memory card. No luck with those either. I'd been using gcncrypt to decrypt the codes to use with ocarina, but the games didn't boot as a result. I've tried with other games to be sure and nothing changed

Last edited:

Cloud7z

Smash Cadet
Is there a way of getting the following to work in PAL?

• Default Tournament Settings
  • Boot to Character Select
  • Skip Results Screen & KO Stars = Games Won **NEW**
  • Flash Red on unsuccessful L Cancel
  • 16:9 support

Thank you

mooki

Smash Apprentice
The Flash Red on Unsuccessful L-Cancel code is great. Thanks Achilles.

P 1

Smash Cadet
New code! Boot directly to the Character Select screen:

041a45a0 3c000202
041a45a4 901e0000

v1.02 only. The code is also in the OP. I came up with this as a side-effect of a code I wrote for SSBMO. Enjoy!

By the way, as for hitbox toggling, I was having trouble locating the relevant memory addresses and ASM routines last time I looked at it. I'll hopefully return to it at some point.
could you easily port this to 1.00? I'm trying to run these codes on Melee SD, and melee SD rewrites any NTSC-J/U into 1.00.

I used to use this code on my 1.02 iso, and it was AMAZING. i would greatly appreciate it ! I just hope it's doable :^(

Top Bottom