• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Melbourne Storm docked two premierships for salary cap breaches.

Sieg

Smash Champion
Good luck have fun Storm.

Salary cap breaches of 1.7 Million dollars. They've lost the 2007/2009 premierships and they won't receive any points for the 2010 season.

Lol. Poor NRL.

CAOTIC

Woxy
BRoomer
I'm from Melbourne and I go for the Sharkies. Yey! We can't get the wooden spoon! <3

But in all seriousness, NRL is a **** organisation and this will kill off league in Melbourne. Which is a shame, because they just built a pretty new stadium...

Melancholy

Smash Ace
I think the punishments were a little harsh. Yes they cheated the system, so fine and punish the club, but don't punish the fans by docking points and leaving the team with nothing to play for in the 2010 season. Gives the fans even less incentive to go to games if they know there is no way for their team to gain points :/

CAOTIC

Woxy
BRoomer
That just reflects the incompetence of league management imo. AFL is so grinning right now. David Gallop is a ****er

seaDORF

Smash Journeyman
When i first heard about it, i didn't believe it, had to see a youtube vid to confirm it.

I'm a roosters man and i've always disliked the storm but i'm just shocked that this has happened... Left me speechless. A very sad day for nrl supporters. All i can say is that i personally agree with the punishments except for the docking of this season's points which just hurts the fans and makes all games in 2010 pointless.

The bulldogs set a dangerous precedent in 2002 so the storm are fully aware of the consequences. NRL in melbourne will most likely die now.

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
They also lost "3 minor premierships" (which I assume are like the pre-season AFL cup)

They'd been doing it for a number of years, so I think that a big punishment is certainly deserved.

Would hate to be one of their sponsors.

Sieg

Smash Champion
Minor Premiership in the NRL is having no.1 position at the end of the season.

But yeah, people are all saying this is gonna kill the NRL.

Vyse

Faith, Hope, Love, Luck
BRoomer
Was watching the news this morning.

Whichever gambling company does the odds (tabcorp?) found out when they started getting something like $50,000 on the storm getting the wooden spoon this year which was 250:1 odds before this happened.

MTGod

Smash Champion
something like $50,000 on the storm getting the wooden spoon this year which was 250:1 odds before this happened.
Lawl, masters of subtlety those punters are xD I wonder how the bookies are gonna weave their way out of the payout lol...

TakFR

Smash Lord
NNID
TakAE86
GG NRL for pretty much shooting themselves in the foot for this one, I mean I know they really do hate the Storm because they aren't from NSW or QLD but wow. Pretty sure that if this happened to a different team from NSW or QLD they wouldn't get this harsh of a punishment, maybe get no points for this season. Relinquishing premierships is stupid, it's not like they have proof that breaching the salary cap actually was what made them win in the first place.

Sieg

Smash Champion
Nah, the punishment does fit the crime. They can't really be racist against a Melbourne team because the NRL's goal has always been to expand to different areas, like the AFL has done. The Storm were like their flagship team, proving that you could have an NRL club outside of Sydney and they COULD succeed.

It's just unfortunate that it's had to happen like this. I'd be interested to know the politics behind this whole rorting actually.

dainbramage

Smash Journeyman
Was watching the news this morning.

Whichever gambling company does the odds (tabcorp?) found out when they started getting something like $50,000 on the storm getting the wooden spoon this year which was 250:1 odds before this happened.
Lawl, masters of subtlety those punters are xD I wonder how the bookies are gonna weave their way out of the payout lol...
The biggest bet put down was $40 lol, which is a $10k payout. Nothing the TAB can't handle.

l3oOkeR

Smash Ace
This is a sad day for league but it wont kill the NRL. It will kill the Storm but and all i can is.... HAHA! ****s want to cheat then this is what happens. Its a shame that some other clubs wont get picked up but due to there location. CoughcoughBroncos/Roosters/Dogs/DRAGONS/MANLYCoughcough.

Sharks are safe from everything atm and no wooden spoon for us either . and if we can play like we did last night for the rest of the season we will be far far away from the bottom of the ladder.

I just wish we got our 2008 game back where melbourne beat us. we could of been the minor premiers and took manly on in the Grand final just like old time =D

megapup

Smash Apprentice
I think the punishments were a little harsh. Yes they cheated the system, so fine and punish the club, but don't punish the fans by docking points and leaving the team with nothing to play for in the 2010 season. Gives the fans even less incentive to go to games if they know there is no way for their team to gain points :/
im fairly sure they still have the same players this year that they breached the salary cap to obtain. thus it wouldnt make sense to let them keep playing with a team about as fair as peaches down smash.

CAOTIC

Woxy
BRoomer
as a melburnian i am shocked and disappointed that my team would behave in such a way and i will be betting on them to win 13+ for the next 3 matches as i think it will happen
Melburnians don't even know what the Storm are, lol

You have much to learn, young grasshopper

Top Bottom